Linux, Windows Dual boot problem with GRUB

Hi:

I am very new to Linux and onlys installed it 3 days back after years
of procastrination...and doing with Windows....The installation went
ok......but when I pick to boot windows on GRUB, the system habgs with
the following text on the screen......

root  (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloadre+1

On reading, I understand that the /etc/fstab file should contain my
windows partition entry and it's details.....IT DOESN"T.....

Right now my fstab reads like this

/dev/hda3            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr
   1 1
/dev/hda2            /boot                reiserfs   acl,user_xattr
   1 2
/dev/hda4            swap                 swap       pri=42
   0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5
   0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults
   0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto
   0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto
   0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder     /media/dvdrecorder   subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

PLEASE ADVISE/HELP

0
Kunal
10/17/2005 2:17:06 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kunal wrote:

> root  (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloadre+1

One of the silly things about GRUB is that it starts numbering partitions
with number 0, rather than number 1 like fdisk does.

> On reading, I understand that the /etc/fstab file should contain my
> windows partition entry and it's details.....IT DOESN"T.....

It isn't necessary for /etc/fstab to mention your Windows partition in
order for GRUB to be able to boot it.

If Windows is on partition /dev/hda1, then /boot/grub/menu.lst should
contain something like this:

title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

If this doesn't help, please post: (1) the contents of
/boot/grub/menu.lst; (2) the results of "fdisk /dev/hda -l".

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 155061 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1       65208    32864800+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           65209       67289     1048824   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           67290      129705    31457664   83  Linux
/dev/hda4          129706      155061    12779424   82  Linux swap

This is what the /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like....

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
linux###
title Linux
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x317 splash=silent
desktop resume=/dev/hda4 showopts
    initrd (hd0,1)/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
windows###
title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
failsafe###
title Failsafe
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0  3
    initrd (hd0,1)/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Memory
Test###
title Memory Test
    kernel (hd0,1)/memtest.bin

Many thanks for your help.....much appreciated

Kunal
10/17/2005 2:58:58 AM
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kunal wrote:

> color white/blue black/light-gray
> default 0
> timeout 8

You might want to increase the timeout delay to give you more time.

> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
> windows###
> title Windows
>     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>     makeactive
>     chainloader +1

This looks all right to me. According to the GRUB documentation, you
should add the "boot" command at the end, though GRUB works without this
for me. It can't hurt to try, though.

I'm assuming, of course, that Windows is properly installed on the first
partition.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be
countered." -- US State Department
0
Yves
10/17/2005 3:27:37 AM
OK...thanks...that's what I have been wondering too...what if the
windows boot and config files are damaged?...any thought on how I can
check this?

0
Kunal
10/17/2005 3:34:45 AM
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kunal wrote:

> OK...thanks...that's what I have been wondering too...what if the
> windows boot and config files are damaged?...any thought on how I can
> check this?

Use a DOS or Windows boot or "rescue" floppy or CD, and do "FDISK /MBR".
This will erase Grub. Reboot. Windows should then load properly or not,
depending on whether the Windows installation is OK or not. (I note that
the Windows partition is already marked active.)

However, to use Linux after this, you'll have to reinstall Grub. It's
certainly possible, but it's harder than *removing* Grub. I suggest you
make sure you have a Linux rescue CD or floppy, or one of the "live CD"
distributions, before starting. Also make sure that you'll be able to ask
for help without using your Linux installation. ;-)

I now see that it's possible to install Grub on a floppy (see "info
grub"), so I suggest you prepare a floppy like this before doing
"FDISK /MBR". At least you should be able to restart Linux using the
floppy. Test the floppy first, to make sure you can boot from it!

By the way, using Google, you should apparently not use "Reply", but
instead "Options > Reply", to make sure that you quote the message to
which you're replying. I may not have the wording quite right; I'd be
interested in knowing what the correct wording is, so I can advise other
users properly.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"America is less a beacon of hope than a dangerous force to be
countered." -- US State Department

0
Yves
10/17/2005 3:55:44 AM
Hi...thanks...is this ok now....I use option.....individual
message....and then reply.....your suggestions seem to be just right
and I will try then in that order...however I currently don't have a
windows recovery disk.....II have an averatec laptop and it did not
come with any diagnostic disks.......BTW.....I know this is
trivial....but not to me....the asterisk indicates active
right!!...what exactlt does that physically mean......I really want to
keep going with Linux....but just want to have Windows ready at hand
and most of the software in office (matlab etc)....have windows
licenses!!!!!

Many thanks for getting me started here....

Kunal
10/17/2005 4:10:36 AM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:10:36 +0200, Kunal <kb2227@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi...thanks...is this ok now....I use option.....individual
> message....and then reply.....your suggestions seem to be just right
> and I will try then in that order...however I currently don't have a
> windows recovery disk.....II have an averatec laptop and it did not
> come with any diagnostic disks.......BTW.....I know this is
> trivial....but not to me....the asterisk indicates active
> right!!...what exactlt does that physically mean......I really want to
> keep going with Linux....but just want to have Windows ready at hand
> and most of the software in office (matlab etc)....have windows
> licenses!!!!!

What do all the dots mean? Is it like jokingly making it sound like
the voice of a dying man?

I too find your grub configuration correct, to my best knowledge.
What exactly appears on the screen when you try to boot Windows?

I boot Windows 2000 using

    title Windows 2000
         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
         chainloader +1

In my case the partition /dev/hda1 is a FAT partition that
just holds the Windows files needed to run the the Windows
bootloader.  The real system partition is on another disk,
and my Bios does not offer to boot off that disk.

You ask what that means physically, the asterisk:

The partition table has a separate byte for each partition, which
shall be zero for all partitions except one, and that partiton
shall have 0x80 or 128.

The standard MBR sector used by windows contains a short program
that verifies that only one of the four primary/extended partitions
have a non-zero value in that byte. After that this code loads
into memory the first sector of the partition having the non-zero
value, and executes whatever code is there.

If more than one partition has a non-zero byte, the MBR code
will write a message to the screen and go into an endless loop.
There is no way to get on from there other than rebooting.

When loading said sector, the non-zero value in the "bootable"
byte is used as an argument to the BIOS call to specify the disk
to read from. BIOS uses numbers 0, 1, etc to specify the floppy
devices A:, B:, etc, and 0x80, 0x81,... to specify the hard drives.
I don't know if it actually works to have anything other than
0x80 in the byte.

When installing grub in the MBR, then the above code is not there.
However, the line "chainloader +1" shall load the same first
sector and execute its code, just like the Windows MBR does.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the first sector of the partition
does, if that also checks the bootable byte in the partition table.
Probably it does.

That is the reason you sometimes need the  "makeactive" command,
that makes Grub change that byte, and zero the bootable bytes
of all other primary partitions.  If you have multiple Windows
partitions you want to be able to boot from, you need to change
the bootable bytes in the partition table each time you boot
another partition. If you have just one, there is no need to
use makeactive. Linux partitions do not check the bootable byte.

-Enrique
0
Enrique
10/17/2005 9:51:56 PM
Enrique:

Thanks for ur posting.....very helpful for a novice like me to get a
little grip over things......acctually I have managed to solve the
problem...it has nothing to so with the boot loader...it seems that  in
Suse 9.1......The partitioning tool parted, which YaST uses during the
installation, may write an incorrect partition table. The problem
occurs if

    * the BIOS and Linux "see" different disk geometries AND
    * the Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more precisely:
if the first hard disk partition ends on cylinder 1024 or beyond this
point).

When the system is booted, Windows may use the values in the partition
table, which causes a failure.

Currently, this problem also occurs on other Linux distributions using
kernel 2.6.

I was able to update my partition table using a driver update from the
suse site:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

A most useful website...and installed the updated driver at
startup.....and was finally able to boot windows too.........

0
Kunal
10/17/2005 11:21:35 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:21:35 +0200, Kunal <kb2227@gmail.com> wrote:

> Enrique:
>
> Thanks for ur posting.....very helpful for a novice like me to get a
> little grip over things......acctually I have managed to solve the
> problem...it has nothing to so with the boot loader...it seems that  in
> Suse 9.1......The partitioning tool parted, which YaST uses during the
> installation, may write an incorrect partition table. The problem
> occurs if
>
>     * the BIOS and Linux "see" different disk geometries AND
>     * the Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more precisely:
> if the first hard disk partition ends on cylinder 1024 or beyond this
> point).
>
> When the system is booted, Windows may use the values in the partition
> table, which causes a failure.
>
> Currently, this problem also occurs on other Linux distributions using
> kernel 2.6.
>

> I was able to update my partition table using a driver update from the
> suse site:
>
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html
>
> A most useful website...and installed the updated driver at
> startup.....and was finally able to boot windows too.........

Thanks for your report, I was not aware of it.

-Enrique
0
Enrique

Seriously, has anybody dual booted XP with Linux and had problems? Do you use GAG or Grub boot loader?
Against my better judgment, I decided maybe to dual boot Linux with XP (XP being installed first). I found a tutorial using Ubuntu for Linux on how to do this (http://apcmag.com/ how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm) that tries to make it look so easy, but the problem is in the MBR which sometimes gets corrupted. To solve this, I found a Windows freeware program called GAG http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/GA= G-d.shtml In Linux you can use the dual boot manager Grub (?) I think. I'm asking if this is a good idea, if anybody has ha...

Problem Converting Linux PC to Dual-Boot (XP, Linux)
I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to convert to a Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6). I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to partition the disk via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes right to WIndows every time. I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux install. So: what needs to be done here so I can run qtparted from Knoppix, partition the disk, install FC6 on the back half the disk and get this done? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richa...

Linux, Linux, Linux

grub setup for dual-boot with linux on hda and XP on sda
Hi! I know that how-do-I-set-up-GRUB is a very common question, but I have not been able to find information on my special configuration: | (hd0, ): | 0 hda1 ext2 /boot | 1 hda2 swap | 2 hda3 ext2 / | 3 hda4 ext2 | | (hd1, ): | 0 hdb1 ntfs K: | | (hd2, ): | 0 sda1 ntfs C: | 4 sda2 ntfs D: I would like to boot XP from the GRUB boot loader. I've read some GRUB tutorials and tried the following (from the GRUB console, after hitting 'c' on the boot menu screen): | rootnoverify (hd2,0) | chainloader +1 | boot I also tried it with makeactive, but the r...

Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?
I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. In article <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux. Gargle is your fiend. On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote: > In article > <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I know dual boots have been done before...

Dual-everything...except dual-boot Windows\Linux
Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) two videocards (nVidia 7800) two DVD burners (Plextor) two 24" LCDs (Dell) .... and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) They chose well. DFS wrote: > Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: > > two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) > two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) > two videocards (nVidia 7800) > two DVD burners (Plextor) > two 24" LCDs (Dell) > ... > and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) > > They chose well. And it s...

Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux & Windows)
Hi, I need Windows for certain applications and Linux for certain other applications. But, the computer currently has only Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via USB stick !! :-) I am following the below steps for Windows XP from USB stick - http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) But, I understand that by the above method we can have the Windows XP booted up from the USB Stick and Windows XP will be using entire RAM :-( But, i would like to have Linux also ! Is it po...

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machin...

Problems with Dual boot XP/Linux-- installing boot, NTFS, FAT32
Hello. I already have WinXP installed. I have my drive formatted in the order below: 39 mb - FAT installed by Dell, contains diagnostics 8 gig - NTFS Windows XP 50 mb - unformatted Linux boot (to get within 1024 sectors) 2 gig - NTFS WinXP Page File (swap partition) 4 gig - unformatted Linux 1 gig - unformatted Linux swap 30 gig - FAT32 Data1 (shared by XP & Linux) 12 gig - FAT32 Data2 (shared by XP & Linux) I'm installing Red Hat 7.3. I choose custom install. If I select "Have the installer automatically partition for you" I...

Linux OS only dual boot
I am a newby to Linux and I have a computer which is only dedicated to Linux OS. There are many postings all over with people who have done dual boot with a MS os and Linux but none that I have found that do it this way. It must be common knowledge among Linux users so not even discussed. I have a computer with 30gb with Lindows 4.0 preinstalled and a new 80gb hd with Mepis that I installed. The hds are selected by a Trios II PLus HD selector before boot up. I would like to install more than one linux os on the 80gb since I have plenty of room. I can then try to find an os which I am ...

Problems Booting into Linux with Grub
Hi I am having trouble with Grub my system says that I need version 0.92-69 but the vdersion installed is 0.94-22. I recently upgraded to KDE 3.3 and wondered if that had anything to do with it. I have tried uninstalling grub, rebooting and then reinstalling..... No joy. I end up with a screen that displays the version,0.94 how much memory neede (I think) and finishes with the >grub as a prompt? if I type boot, it says no kernal loaded. I am at my wits end, can anyone please shed some light on this for me? -- Bob Moore PGP Fingerprint 3FE2 D6E8 FD7E D2CB AFA4 F7B4 41DF 4A12 E50...

dual boot windows + linux: installing windows 7 on first half of disk
Hello, I want to install a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux on my Sony Vaio Laptop. Below is the output from fdisk. The /dev/sd5 partition has its partition type set to 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT using fdisk's t option but actually contains garbage. I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up everything else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when installing via the recovery partition installed in /dev/sda1 presumably and when the installation is finished I want to still be able to boot both windows on /dev/sda5 or linux on /dev/sda...

dual-boot freebsd 5.2 and SUSE linux, but failed to boot freebsd with grub
Hi, I installed freebsd 5.2.1 in the first partition of the the disk and SUSE linux on the second partition. I configured grub in SUSE with the following content in the file menu.lst: gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message color white/blue black/light-gray default 0 timeout 8 title FreeBSD 5.2 root (hd0,0,a) kernel /boot/loader title linux kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=773 title failsafe kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda2 ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3 fdisk /dev/hda shown that: Device Boot ...

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux/Grub boot problem with SATA
I have a BioStar IDEQ 200V with M7VBA motherboard. This board supports SATA through the VIA 8237 SATA chip. The SATA works, too - I'm using the Linux 2.6.1 kernel, which supports that chip, and in addition to the "standard" ATA-100 drive I installed a Seagate SATA drive and it's recognized as /dev/hdg and I can read and write from/to it. In fact, I copied over the whole boot drive to it. I can even boot from the SATA drive by going through the first stage boot on the "standard" drive, and then specifying the hdg boot partition on the boot splash screen com...

dual boot: first linux then windows
hi to everybody, i have a hardrive with gentoo linux installed and 20 G of free space at the beginning of the hard disk. on gentoo i have installed grub. is it possible to install windows xp on this free space, without messing up the gentoo installation? how? any links? all the docs i found says to install first windows then linux, but i discovered this too late! thanks renna On 19 Nov 2005 08:50:59 -0800 rennabh@gmail.com wrote: > hi to everybody, i have a hardrive with gentoo linux installed and 20 G > of free space at the beginning of the hard disk. on gentoo i have > installed...

Dual booting OS/2 and Linux
Hi, Has anybody managed to boot OS/2 from Grub Legacy or, even better, Grub2? I have a dual boot machine with eCS 1.2R and Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. So far I have only been able to boot both systems when using the IBM Bootmanager as the main bootmanager and with Grub Legacy installed to the Linux system partition (one system partition mounted as /, one data partition mounted as /home). Ubuntu Lucid Lynx uses Grub2 by default, but since installing it to a partition instead of the drive's MBR did not work correctly and is not recommended, I had to downgrade to Grub Legacy instead....

GRUB problem (double windows + linux)
Hi, I've a weird problem. For years I've been able to boot my windows and linux setups without any problem, but suddenly neither of both windows versions respond, Linux does start normally. I;ve not changed anything to any of the systems. When I try to boot any of the windows, it hangs (really, keyboard is dead) immediately (black screen). When I use F8, it hangs after the selection of WinXP (also in safe mode). When I change the boot disk in the bios to HD-0 or HD-1 (with windows), winXP starts up normally. My setup is as follows: IDE1: winXP (4 partitions) IDE2: winX...

Query in Dual boot(Windows+Linux)
Hi, I have dual boot PC with Windows and CentOS linux. I installed windows and linux completely. And when i reboot my machine Directly its going to command prompt Its showing GRUB loading stage 2 The command prompt is grub> What i have to give in command prompt so that my PC boot in Windows as well as in Linux. Pls. suggest me. Regards, Kirthika On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:49:16 -0700, kracks wrote: > Hi, > I have dual boot PC with Windows and CentOS linux. I installed windows > and linux completely. And when i reboot my machine > Directly its going to command promp...

Dual Booting Linux and Windows XP
I am a very experienced Windows user for many years. I am very interested in learning more about Linux but my computer resources are limited. I have a single laptop computer (1.8GHz, 30GB, 256MB, WinXP Home, NTFS). My computer OS is as it came from the store -- a single partition with NTFS. I know I need to repartition the HD to make room for a Linux installation and this is where I need help. I have setup partitions before back in the Win9x days using FDISK & FAT32. I know the WinXP and NTFS is a little different and I need help on what approach to take. I am not op...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

Installing windows after linux (dual boot)
Hello guys, I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB) I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and telling my self that it can't be that complicated. Any suggestions or links. Thanks Prabh Hello Prabh (<prabhdeep@videotron.ca>) wrote: > I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB) > I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as > dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and > telling my self that it can...

Web resources about - Linux, Windows Dual boot problem with GRUB - comp.os.linux.setup

The Windows Blog

Passengers urinate out of car window while travelling 100km/h
The actions of two car passengers who appeared to lean out a car window to urinate while travelling at 100kmh on a Southland highway are being ...

Passengers urinate out of car window while travelling 100km/h
The actions of two car passengers who appeared to lean out a car window to urinate while travelling at 100kmh on a Southland highway are being ...

Chrome OS distro for regular PCs can now dual-boot with Windows
... A few months ago, we wrote about CloudReady , a version of the open source Chromium OS from Neverware that can transform older Windows PCs ...

Windows 10 to be installed on 4 million US Department of Defense computers
Microsoft keeps shouting about the millions of users that have switched to Windows 10 , and soon the company will have another 4 million to bray ...

Microsoft just landed a huge deal to bring Windows 10 to 4 million Defense Department employees
... that the United States Department of Defense will be moving all four million of its employees across all of its agencies to the Windows 10 operating ...

Find and recover Windows files
How to find recent downloads and other docs, and how to rescue deleted files.

IDG Contributor Network: Why the Department of Defense just started deploying Windows 10
Starting this month, the U.S. Department of Defense will start deploying Windows 10 to about 4M devices within the next year. It’s the largest ...