f



linux/Windows XP boot problem

Hi all,

In short :
----------
How can I prevent Windows XP (or "HP recovery") to replace lilo in the
MBR ? This is very probably more a Windows than a linux question.


The gory details :
------------------
I have a new PC (HP Pavilion t390.fr) with Windows XP Home edition
preinstalled (and no XP CDROM, of course, the beginning of the
problems !). As I cannot reinstall the PC from scratch, starting with
linux, and then Windows as I usually do, I had to shorten the big NTFS
partition, and install linux on the free space obtained, with lilo as
a boot loader (with lba32 option because the /boot partition is beyond
the 1024 cylinders limit ...).

No problem booting on linux.

When booting on Windows, it very sees that the MBR has been touched
and asks me either to reinstall the whole system or to "repair the
system". No option to avoid doing at least one of these 2 choices
(even if recovery desactivated in the system panel). The screen is in
entitled "reinstallation systeme pour PC HP" (it's in french) and
mentions a reference to SoftThinks and version 5.0.33. Both choices
result in Windows rewriting on the MBR and replacing lilo without
being asked (In fact, I don't even know is it is Windows or the HP
recovery tools that seem to be installed alltogether !)

Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious
since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to
maintain the PC warranty, not to use it !)

Any advice or solution is wellcome.

Aymeric Duclert
0
aduclert
1/2/2004 10:01:26 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
541 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

On 2 Jan 2004 14:01:26 -0800, Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> In short :
> ----------
> How can I prevent Windows XP (or "HP recovery") to replace lilo in the
> MBR ? 

Quite using it.

> This is very probably more a Windows than a linux question.

Yes.

> 
> Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious
> since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to
> maintain the PC warranty, not to use it !)
> 
> Any advice or solution is wellcome.

boot linux with floppy or cd 1 rescue mode and re-install lilo into
mbr.

man lilo
0
Bit
1/2/2004 10:12:44 PM
Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> 
> [snip]
>
> .... Both choices
> result in Windows rewriting on the MBR and replacing lilo without
> being asked (In fact, I don't even know is it is Windows or the HP
> recovery tools that seem to be installed alltogether !)
> 
> Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious
> since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to
> maintain the PC warranty, not to use it !)

You can configure the Windows boot loader to chain to lilo, instead of 
the other way around.

See
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html

0
Allen
1/3/2004 1:30:03 AM
Allen Kistler <ackistler@oohay.moc> wrote in message news:<vWoJb.17132$aw2.10361650@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...
> Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> > 
> > [snip]
> >
> > .... Both choices
> > result in Windows rewriting on the MBR and replacing lilo without
> > being asked (In fact, I don't even know is it is Windows or the HP
> > recovery tools that seem to be installed alltogether !)
> > 
> > Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious
> > since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to
> > maintain the PC warranty, not to use it !)
> 
> You can configure the Windows boot loader to chain to lilo, instead of 
> the other way around.
> 
> See
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html
Thanks for your answers.

Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
!), but it would be quite tedious ...

I tried the procedure indicated by Allen in
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html :

1/ Creation of the bootsect.lnx (dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/bootsect.lnx
bs=512 count=1 in my case)
2/ Copy of the bootsect.lnx file in C: under Windows
3/ Modification of the boot.ini file (including attrib flags) to add
the line :

C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

Result :
--------
The Windows loader works, it allows to boot under XP, but if I choose
linux, a black screen appears and nothing happens any more ... as if
it could to find the file.

I checked that the bootsect.lnx file is ok (size + procedure included
in the howto.html, and of course, it is).

I also tried to put the bootsect.lnx file in D: (a fat32 Windows
recovery partition which is under the 1024 cylinders limit), modifying
the boot.ini file accordingly, but the result is exactly the same !
0
aduclert
1/3/2004 3:35:57 PM
Aymeric Duclert wrote:

> Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
> Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
> !), but it would be quite tedious ...

What version of Windows?
I never heard of that happening.

-- 
Timothy Murphy  
e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
0
Timothy
1/3/2004 6:08:07 PM
Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> Allen Kistler <ackistler@oohay.moc> wrote in message news:<vWoJb.17132$aw2.10361650@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...
> 
>> [snip]
>>
>>See
>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html
> 
> Thanks for your answers.
> 
> Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
> Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
> !), but it would be quite tedious ...
> 
> I tried the procedure indicated by Allen in
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html :
> 
> 1/ Creation of the bootsect.lnx (dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/bootsect.lnx
> bs=512 count=1 in my case)
> 2/ Copy of the bootsect.lnx file in C: under Windows
> 3/ Modification of the boot.ini file (including attrib flags) to add
> the line :
> 
> C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
> 
> Result :
> --------
> The Windows loader works, it allows to boot under XP, but if I choose
> linux, a black screen appears and nothing happens any more ... as if
> it could to find the file.
> 
> I checked that the bootsect.lnx file is ok (size + procedure included
> in the howto.html, and of course, it is).
> 
> I also tried to put the bootsect.lnx file in D: (a fat32 Windows
> recovery partition which is under the 1024 cylinders limit), modifying
> the boot.ini file accordingly, but the result is exactly the same !

Did you install lilo into the boot sector of hda6 first?  If you didn't, 
then you're chaining to nothing, because lilo's not there.

Also don't forget, in the future, to update bootsect.lnx each time you 
rerun lilo for lilo.conf changes (or switch to grub and never worry 
about it again).

HTH

0
Allen
1/3/2004 9:07:16 PM
Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote in message news:<CxDJb.3059$HR.6944@news.indigo.ie>...
> Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> 
> > Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
> > Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
> > !), but it would be quite tedious ...
> 
> What version of Windows?
> I never heard of that happening.
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

But I'm pretty sure now it's not an XP issue, rather a "HP recovery"
problem, since I have already installed lilo on another computer with
XP without any problem. They must have a tool that oversees the MBR
and reinstall it without any means to deactivate the process. Of
course the HP customer support says they do not support linux and
recommend not installing dual boots ...

But my issue is now solved by chaining windows boot loader and then
lilo.

Aymeric
0
aduclert
1/4/2004 3:56:05 PM
Allen Kistler <ackistler@oohay.moc> wrote in message news:<8aGJb.17332$aw2.10586144@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...
> Aymeric Duclert wrote:
> > Allen Kistler <ackistler@oohay.moc> wrote in message news:<vWoJb.17132$aw2.10361650@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>...
[...]
> > Result :
> > --------
> > The Windows loader works, it allows to boot under XP, but if I choose
> > linux, a black screen appears and nothing happens any more ... as if
> > it could to find the file.
> > 
> > I checked that the bootsect.lnx file is ok (size + procedure included
> > in the howto.html, and of course, it is).
> > 
> > I also tried to put the bootsect.lnx file in D: (a fat32 Windows
> > recovery partition which is under the 1024 cylinders limit), modifying
> > the boot.ini file accordingly, but the result is exactly the same !
> 
> Did you install lilo into the boot sector of hda6 first?  If you didn't, 
> then you're chaining to nothing, because lilo's not there.
> 
> Also don't forget, in the future, to update bootsect.lnx each time you 
> rerun lilo for lilo.conf changes (or switch to grub and never worry 
> about it again).
> 
> HTH

YES, indeed, that was the problem, you are right ! I did not
understand everything about lilo. I modified the boot parameter in
/etc/lilo.conf to get it point to the root partition and not the MBR
and everything is OK.

I will also take a look at grub when I have time.


For other people that might have the same problem, I explain a little
:

I changed the boot parameter in the lilo.conf :

# the linux root partition is /dev/hda6. lilo installs there now !
boot=/dev/hda6
# old value was installing lilo in MBR, and lilo was kicked out by
Windows
# boot=/dev/hda

I ran lilo, created the bootsect.lnx file using dd (see previous HOWTO
in the thread), installed it on Windows and everything works : Windows
boot loader first allows selection of linux or Windows, and if linux
is selected, lilo appears allowing to select linux (or others).

Thanks for you help !

Aymeric
0
aduclert
1/4/2004 4:08:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Newbie: Booting Linux from XP and then XP from Linux
Hi I have searched for a while and can't find an answer to this. What I want to do is be able to boot to Linux if I am in XP and then be able to boot back to XP if I am in Linux but without any control during reboot 'cos this will be over a vpn using VNC (don't ask). I have Mandrake 10.1 and XP installed in different partitions on the same disk on a Dell 4700. Is what I want to do possible and if so could some kind soul tell me how. I know I will probably have to provide more info but I don't really know what will be required. TIA Andy Andy Barron <andy@the-barrons.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > Hi I have searched for a while and can't find an answer to this. > What I want to do is be able to boot to Linux if I am in XP and then > be able to boot back to XP if I am in Linux but without any control > during reboot 'cos this will be over a vpn using VNC (don't ask). You don't have any control then anyway. What's the problem? Oh - are you trying to say "no keyboard input"? (funny way of saying "control"!). Why would you need it? Set the default choice in your boot manager before you reboot, and set a low timeout. If you were using lilo as bootloader/manager, you would use something like lilo -R "XP" shutdown -r now "going to XPee". > Is what I want to do possible and if so could some kind soul tell me What you want to do is not clear...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

Problem Converting Linux PC to Dual-Boot (XP, Linux)
I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to convert to a Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6). I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to partition the disk via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes right to WIndows every time. I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux install. So: what needs to be done here so I can run qtparted from Knoppix, partition the disk, install FC6 on the back half the disk and get this done? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richa...

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

Linux, Linux, Linux
Hi, Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of Linux distributions to choose from. Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com Newbie friendly and good support forums. SuSE http://www.novell.com/linux Pay for some support if you're not opposed to spending a little money. Fedora Core http://fedoraproject.org If you're more comfortable with your computer, try this one out. If you get frustrated, don't give up so easy. There is a wealth of information online for whichever distro you choose....

Linux victim triple boots Ubuntu, CentOS and Windows XP: only Linux freezes
"I triple boot, Ubuntu 9.04 (amd64), CentOS 5.3 x86_64 & XP... I have an AM2 L110, a MSI K9Neo v3 mobo, and a brand new Kingston DDR2 ram of 2 gigs... Also an Nvidia GeForce 7300... I experiment random freezes in Ubuntu & CentOS, but it seems that Ubuntu freezes more... I thought it was a ram issue, so I bought a new ram, and installed it on its own... No luck... Power supply is good... CPU fan is running (I see it, the case is open...) I guess it must be a Nvidia issue, somehow... I am running both Ubuntu & CentOS using the proprietary drivers... Maybe I should try ...

Linux STILL has Font Problems. 10 Years later?,alt.os.windows-xp,
http://ubuntusite.com/not-satisfied-with-firefox-try-opera-for-ubuntu/ So what is it about Fonts that Linux just can't seem to get right? How long has Linux been around and still it can't manage to look decent? And before you Linux freaks and unwashed bearded masses start whining that firefox isn't Linux, or Linux is the kernel, average desktop Joe doesn't care because most of his time will be using browsers and firefox is the best one out there for Linux. Except for the Linux cultist's favorite browser, dildo. -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the glob...

UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
you can run obsolete windows programs on obsolete windows operating systems by having the operating windows systems running on UBUNTU LINUX. UBUNTU LINUX (detects networking out of the box and uses Windows like GNOME interface or use KUBUNTU LINUX for the intelligence demanding KDE interface) can be run on Windows XP easily and SIMULTANEOUSLY to take advantage of Microsoft Office by downloading virtual box for windows from www.virtualbox.org you should download kubuntu_restricted_extras when the kubuntu comes up, hit ESC gently every 5 seconds if the X Windows server has frozen up. Google...

Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux & Windows)
Hi, I need Windows for certain applications and Linux for certain other applications. But, the computer currently has only Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via USB stick !! :-) I am following the below steps for Windows XP from USB stick - http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) But, I understand that by the above method we can have the Windows XP booted up from the USB Stick and Windows XP will be using entire RAM :-( But, i would like to have Linux also ! Is it po...

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machin...

Problems with Dual boot XP/Linux-- installing boot, NTFS, FAT32
Hello. I already have WinXP installed. I have my drive formatted in the order below: 39 mb - FAT installed by Dell, contains diagnostics 8 gig - NTFS Windows XP 50 mb - unformatted Linux boot (to get within 1024 sectors) 2 gig - NTFS WinXP Page File (swap partition) 4 gig - unformatted Linux 1 gig - unformatted Linux swap 30 gig - FAT32 Data1 (shared by XP & Linux) 12 gig - FAT32 Data2 (shared by XP & Linux) I'm installing Red Hat 7.3. I choose custom install. If I select "Have the installer automatically partition for you" I...

How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?
I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files contained in the backup. Is there a way to restore these files using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux? Best, Myles mylesv@gmail.com wrote: > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files > contained in...

Linux slopware: took 5 tries to boot, Windows XP boots *every* time
"All these resets can't be good for my hard drives and PC! Cripes, it took 5 tries to get it to boot this time. It has booted the first time for the past three days. It's intermittent, but it borks more often than not. XP boots every time." #472 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=06c3edd01afcd90e827f82b80fa50d4d&t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=48 Linux degrades your standards, and forces you to settle for a substandard computing experience. ...

Seriously, has anybody dual booted XP with Linux and had problems? Do you use GAG or Grub boot loader?
Against my better judgment, I decided maybe to dual boot Linux with XP (XP being installed first). I found a tutorial using Ubuntu for Linux on how to do this (http://apcmag.com/ how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm) that tries to make it look so easy, but the problem is in the MBR which sometimes gets corrupted. To solve this, I found a Windows freeware program called GAG http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/GA= G-d.shtml In Linux you can use the dual boot manager Grub (?) I think. I'm asking if this is a good idea, if anybody has ha...

I have Linux! I have Linux!
Ok, after two days of trying to get Windos 1900 installed and working , I sat down an hour ago and installed Linux. In an hour. Smirk. Ok, I will be honest. I did have some problems, but I believe they were of my own ignorance. 0) I started with trying to install Suse. However, I couldn't get it to install. Why? Because I didn't read the menu. There is a startup menu and the first entry is boot to harddisk. I thought that was the thing to do so I did it about 4 times. Then I gave up. However, I went back to it and subsequently realized that I should have chosen the 2nd men...

Dual-boot Linux with Windows XP
Present setup: Windows XP Home, SP1 (no SP2!) 1 HD, 20GB, 2 partitions: C:, Primary, 10GB, FAT32, HAD W98SE, now nothing but BOOT LOADER, NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM E:, Extended, FAT32, with W XP Home What I would like to do, is install Linux (SuSe, Mandrake or Red Hat desktop), to be dual-booted with XP. That is, I like to carve out a Linux partition in the large amount of empty space on the present C: drive. So I would end up with 3 partitions, C: just for booting, a Linux partition and E: with XP. Is that possible? Where would the Linux boot loader go? Which would control the booting choice, the Linux boot loader or the Windows one. In the end, I am of course interested in only one thing, to be able to boot, at will, into Windows or Linux. Thank you, sincerely, Stranger 18 On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:04:33 -0400, Stranger18 wrote: > Present setup: > > Windows XP Home, SP1 (no SP2!) > > 1 HD, 20GB, 2 partitions: > > C:, Primary, 10GB, FAT32, HAD W98SE, now nothing but BOOT LOADER, NTLDR, > NTDETECT.COM > E:, Extended, FAT32, with W XP Home > > What I would like to do, is install Linux (SuSe, Mandrake or Red Hat > desktop), to be dual-booted with XP. That is, I like to carve out a Linux > partition in the large amount of empty space on the present C: drive. So I > would end up with 3 partitions, C: just for booting, a Linux partition and > E: with XP. > > Is that p...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Dual Booting Linux and Windows XP
I am a very experienced Windows user for many years. I am very interested in learning more about Linux but my computer resources are limited. I have a single laptop computer (1.8GHz, 30GB, 256MB, WinXP Home, NTFS). My computer OS is as it came from the store -- a single partition with NTFS. I know I need to repartition the HD to make room for a Linux installation and this is where I need help. I have setup partitions before back in the Win9x days using FDISK & FAT32. I know the WinXP and NTFS is a little different and I need help on what approach to take. I am not op...

Why linux is linux
We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. -- http://www.texeme.com Hi John, Attempting to Speak for Linux, You wrote: << We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. >> Linux is more like this: << Like everything else, we consume and are consumed. We exchange ideas with everyone, to the point where it's almost impossible to track. We are artisans, not mass producers. >> Jeff Relf wrote: > Linux is mo...

dual boot linux with windows XP
Hi guys, I am a newbie for linux and for system set up. I have some problem with install linux redhat 6.2 with windows xp, I try to dual boot them. But the problem is when I try to partition for linux, I couldn't allocate the /boot on hard drive, always this error: boot image too large. Here is the situation for my pc: 1 hard drive 80GB. C: 30 GB FOR WINDOWS XP (8 GB used) E: 50 GB FOR linux Now I can't shrink C drive below 1024 cylinder, can I still dual boot with linux? do you have any expericence to deal with this situation and not harm my windows xp? Many thanks for your help, Laura On 2005-01-06, Laura <lili@nrcan.gc.ca> wrote: > I am a newbie for linux and for system set up. I have some problem > with install linux redhat 6.2 with windows xp 6.2 is reeeeeeeally old. You'd better get something more up to date, like fedora. > 1 hard drive 80GB. > C: 30 GB FOR WINDOWS XP (8 GB used) Do not partition the disk from Windows for Linux, remove the 'E:' partition and do the partitioning in the install of Linux. Since your disk is big, you _have_ to get a decently new version of linux or you wont' be able to boot with the supplied version of Lilo. Fedora ship with Grub that doesn't have problems in booting from partition that are over the first 8Gb, otherwise you need to download a newer version of LILO. Davide -- ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets....

triple boot Windows XP and linux
Currently my computer can dual boot Windows XP (hard disk 1 primary) and Fedora Core 1 (hard disk 2). If I want to install another linux (e.g. Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10) to make the computer boot with three choices, do I install the third linux grub on the MBR? Should I buy a third hard disk and install linux on it? On 12 Jul 2004 13:51:32 -0700, TCMa wrote: > Currently my computer can dual boot Windows XP (hard disk 1 primary) > and Fedora Core 1 (hard disk 2). > If I want to install another linux (e.g. Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10) > to make the computer boot with three choices, do I install the third > linux grub on the MBR? grub or lilo will multi-boot os from the mbr. grep label /etc/lilo.conf label="md10oe" label="md10ce" label="win_XP" label=md90 label=Redhat append="root=LABEL=/" label=263-15 You can slice up your drives any way you like. /dev/hdb9 / ext3 defaults 1 1 /dev/hdb10 /accounts ext3 defaults 1 2 /dev/hdb11 /md10ce ext3 defaults 1 2 /dev/hdb6 /md90 ext3 defaults 1 2 /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0 /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0 /dev/hda3 /mnt/win_e ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0 /dev/hdb7 /rh80 ext3 defaults 1 2 TCMa wrote: > If I want to install another linux (e.g. Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake 10) > to make the computer boot with three ch...

[News] [Linux] Linux More Secure Than Mac OS X, Windows
How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS? ,----[ Quote ] | Overall it looks like the Linux kernel turns out to be the most | secure system. Not only does it have virtually no security holes | that lead to system access, it's also very resilient to remote | attacks, two areas where both Windows and Mac OS X aren't doing | very well. `---- http://www.masuran.org/node/29 Lots of nice charts on the page. Good summary. Related: Linux hacks rare as hens' teeth, says survey ,----[ Quote ] | Adding more fuel to the Linux versus Windows fire, a US research firm | this week released a ...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

[News] Linux is Linux is Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Reimagining The Desktop ,----[ Quote ] | KDE 4.1 goes a long way to solving that dilemma. `---- http://www.northdavisroad.net/2008/08/reimagining-the-desktop/ Linux should remain Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I disagree that Linux should concentrate on running native Windows apps. This | is exactly the opposite of what the community should be doing. If you notice | more and more companies are working to make Linux their base rather than | Windows. This frees them of paying tax to MS and stops MS from beating their | products with tighter Windows...

Web resources about - linux/Windows XP boot problem - comp.os.linux.setup

Window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the part of a building. For the Microsoft operating system, see Microsoft Windows . For other uses, see Window (disambiguation) ...

Microsoft Windows Information, Solutions, Tools - Windows IT Pro
Microsoft Windows information and solutions for IT pros. Topics include cloud computing, Windows Server, Exchange, Outlook, PowerShell, virtualization, ...

The Windows Blog
The Windows Blog is Microsoft's Official Blog for the Windows Operating System.

Customer service goes out the window as $1b Service NSW fails to deliver
Servicing customers increasingly means automated digital processing. On the other end of the smartphone app, no one can hear you scream.

Use Windows Server with Skylake and you won’t have to upgrade in 18 months
... die shot. (credit: Intel) In January Microsoft announced that owners of systems using Skylake processors would have to upgrade to Windows 10 ...

Gozi Banking Trojan is now fully compatible with the Edge browser in Windows 10
... just looking for ripe pickings. One is the Gozi Banking Trojan, which injects its code into the operating system via the browser. With Windows ...

Through Google Glass — How much is that kitty in the window?
YouTube caption: "Gray Cat wakes from a restful nap in the late afternoon, tolerating my annoying presence with her usual patience and good humor." ...

In luxury hotel, a window on Uganda's bid to forget its troubled past
Christian Science Monitor In luxury hotel, a window on Uganda's bid to forget its troubled past Christian Science Monitor The former Nile ...

Windows Phone sales have almost ground to a halt
Gartner has released its smartphone stats for Q4 2015 and the news is especially bad for Microsoft. In Q4 2014, the software giant owned 2.8 ...

The Windows 10 Store still isn’t working out for Microsoft
The Windows Store should be the center of any serious Microsoft effort to shift users towards Windows 10 application model, but developers report ...

Resources last updated: 2/21/2016 12:16:26 PM