mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around to
throwing out.  It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get to the
CD player.  I tried a mount command:

mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

but get the message

mount:  /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

(And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.)

The CD drive is connected to the same ribbon cable as my hard disk, but is
not recognized by my system bios, which shows only a primary master.  When I
was running Windows 98, Windows added the CD player to the Windows system
hardware list, and it showed up in Windows Explorer as the D disk.  (If it
matters, this computer is old enough to have the old bus architecture that
manufacturers quit using about 1997.)

Any ideas whether Linux can get to this CD player?  It seems odd that the
Linux installer can operate the CD player, but Linux itself can't!

Thanks,
   Bill

0
William
1/7/2004 5:37:13 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:37:13 -0600, William Winkler wrote:

> I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around to
> throwing out.  It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get to the
> CD player.  I tried a mount command:
>
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> but get the message
>
> mount:  /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.)
>
> The CD drive is connected to the same ribbon cable as my hard disk, but is
> not recognized by my system bios, which shows only a primary master.  When I
> was running Windows 98, Windows added the CD player to the Windows system
> hardware list, and it showed up in Windows Explorer as the D disk.  (If it
> matters, this computer is old enough to have the old bus architecture that
> manufacturers quit using about 1997.)
>
> Any ideas whether Linux can get to this CD player?  It seems odd that the
> Linux installer can operate the CD player, but Linux itself can't!
>
> Thanks,
>    Bill
Stop trying to mount an audio CD, it has no filesystem and does not
"mount" from Win<anything> either. You "play" it with a player, a really
simple concept.
--
The M$ warcry:
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
William Winkler <ouiouiliouinqui@hotmail.nospam.nospamcom> wrote:
> (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.)

And dmesg | more tells you that the CD is recognized?
Davide

--
| Microsoft does have a Y2K problem... it's called Linux!
0
Davide
1/7/2004 5:47:57 PM
As I said, I used the CD player for the Linux installation CD.  Obviously
I'm talking about data CDs, not music CDs.  Take a look at Davide Bianchi's
reply if you want to learn how to be helpful.

0
William
1/7/2004 7:19:46 PM
Thanks for the info.  demsg said:

hdb:  ATAPI CDROM ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb:  driver not present

When I tried to install Linux 8, the install procedure asked what driver to
use for the CD player, and gave a list of choices -- and I even think an
ATAPI was on the list.  I tried to load several of them, but they all ended
up saying "driver not loaded".  I gave up on Linux 8 and went back to Linux
7, which didn't ask for a driver.

I had to boot the Linux installation from floppy.  It occurs to me that the
device drivers are probably in that dos... directory on the installation CD,
and I needed to copy the device drivers onto the installation boot floppy.
I'd try that now, but I borrowed the Linux CDs from the public library; I've
already returned them and someone else has checked them out.

If those drivers are available for download somewhere on the Internet (along
with instructions for how to install a CD driver from a floppy!), please let
me know.  Meanwhile, I'll put myself on the waiting list at the library.

Thanks a bunch,
    Bill

"Davide Bianchi" <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote in message
> William Winkler <ouiouiliouinqui@hotmail.nospam.nospamcom> wrote:
> > (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.)
>
> And dmesg | more tells you that the CD is recognized?
> Davide
>
> --
> | Microsoft does have a Y2K problem... it's called Linux!

0
William
1/7/2004 7:38:36 PM
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:37:13 -0600, William Winkler typed:

> I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around
> to throwing out.  It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get
> to the CD player.  I tried a mount command:
>
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

<snip>

> Any ideas whether Linux can get to this CD player?  It seems odd that
> the Linux installer can operate the CD player, but Linux itself can't!

Try using the command as root from the console or xterm session:
/sbin/depmod -ae

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice

             Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

0
Lenard
1/7/2004 7:47:31 PM
William Winkler <nospamouiouiliouinqui@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote:
> hdb:  ATAPI CDROM ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdb:  driver not present

So, he knows that there is a CD, but he doesn't know which.

> If those drivers are available for download somewhere on the Internet (along
> with instructions for how to install a CD driver from a floppy!)

I think you have to download the source of the kernel (unless you
already installed them in /usr/src/linux) and then compile
the driver from the kernel. IIRC there is an 'Old IDE/atapi support'
option in the kernel.

Davide

--
| Q: How many Microsoft tech writers does it take to change a lightbulb?
| A: Twelve.  One to work the bulb, and eleven to write a 1,123 page
| guide to    changing lightbulbs ("Learn Lightbulb Management in 21
| Days").

0
Davide
1/7/2004 8:09:27 PM
depmod returned no output.
However... dmesg indicated that there is no device driver for /dev/hdb...
see my reply to Davide Bianchi.

Thanks for giving me an idea to try out.
    Bill

"Lenard" <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:37:13 -0600, William Winkler typed:
>
> > I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around
> > to throwing out.  It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get
> > to the CD player.  I tried a mount command:
> >
> > mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> <snip>
>
> > Any ideas whether Linux can get to this CD player?  It seems odd that
> > the Linux installer can operate the CD player, but Linux itself can't!
>
> Try using the command as root from the console or xterm session:
> /sbin/depmod -ae
>

> --
> SCO + RICO Act = Justice
>
>              Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

0
William
1/7/2004 8:11:53 PM
William Winkler <nospamouiouiliouinqui@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote:

> I had to boot the Linux installation from floppy.  It occurs to me that the
> device drivers are probably in that dos... directory on the installation CD,
> and I needed to copy the device drivers onto the installation boot floppy.

    You might try booting the install diskette and switching to another
    console using <alt><Fn> (Fn => F2, F3, F4 or ???) Some install
    programs have another console available in which you can type
    commands. Then type "lsmod" and try to figure out whuich module is
    the one that works with your CDROM.  Once you know that, you can type
    "modprobe <name>" (as root) when you have the regular install running
    and it should load the correct driver. Most likely the module is
    available and you just need to figure out which one it is. If that
    works, then you need to figure out how to get it to load automagically
    so you don't have to 'modprobe' every time you want to use the CDROM.

    HTH,
    hank

0
hbarta
1/8/2004 7:43:25 PM
"nunya" <business@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
[ post deleted ]
> Stop trying to mount an audio CD, it has no filesystem and does not
> "mount" from Win<anything> either. You "play" it with a player, a really
> simple concept.

My ghod, it *IS* Peter Breuer insulting the newbies again. Or his clone....

0
Nico
1/12/2004 3:19:20 AM
Stop spreading your disinformation please, once again you are absolutely
off the mark.
Actually what IS insulting is the likes of yourself trying to play
net-cop, while posting with an M$hit product to Linux newsgroups. You
smell a lot like another foolish know nothing (tracker) to me.
--
The M$ warcry:
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
0
nunya
1/12/2004 10:03:39 AM
> Who are you talking to?

Obviously NOT YOU.

> ------------------------
>
> And how does someone who can't even configure their newsreader and lacks
> the sense to at least manually type in the name of the person they are
> replying to, with a few snippets of that post to identify it, has the
> audacity to talk down to anyone on matters technical?

My newsreader is configured just fine .......... for ME, maybe not for
YOU. If yours does not keep threads in order properly that is YOUR
problem.

> If you are addressing Nico, my guess would be that he's at work and is
> forced to use Windoze there.

Yeah, GUESS. Guessing has no place in a technical group.

> I guarantee that what YOU know about Linux would fit in one of his
> sub-sub- sub-directories on a forgotten partition.
>
> AC
Who are you to "guarantee that what YOU know about Linux would fit in one
of his sub-sub-sub-directories on a forgotten partition" ? h/s/it's
defender? Personally, I have been working on and with *nix since the Minix
days and have no need of your (nor Nico's) obviously non-technical
non-expertise.
If you want to help someone, then do so ......... do not guess, or answer
with what YOU want.
--
The M$ warcry:
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
0
nunya
1/12/2004 3:42:47 PM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:58:39 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:42:47 +0000, nunya <business@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>

>>> Who are you talking to?
>>>
>> Obviously NOT YOU.
>
> I use ed(1) as my Usenet pager/editor, and have not yet seen anything
> but that line of yours above.

Sounds like a personal problem. It surely could not be in your choice of
software and (in)ability to use it. Especially in light of your
self-proclaimed expertise.

> What kind of an idiot thinks that they are having, or can have, a
> private converstation on the Usenet?

Not I at all, obviously. Do you?

> You need to just shut your fucking mouth and spend some time on the
> Usenet and learn what the customs are before posting again.

Maybe you can enlighten me on these "customs", since yours are not OURS.
Try reading your own links for a change. http://www.faqs.org/usenet/

> Killfiled until June.

Now THAT really hurts my feelings.
<sobbing and sniffling>
Killfiled by yet another troll.

> Go waste someone else's time.

That is exactly the point people all over USENET have tried to tell YOU
for some time now actually.

> My newsreader is a Snot-Nosed-Punk-Free-Zone.

Obviously you are deluded, it lets YOU use it. And gee, I didn't
have to "guess" at that either.

--
The M$ warcry:
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
0
nunya
1/12/2004 8:15:11 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:03:39 +0000, nunya <business@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Stop spreading your disinformation please, once again you are absolutely
> off the mark.
> Actually what IS insulting is the likes of yourself trying to play
> net-cop, while posting with an M$hit product to Linux newsgroups. You
> smell a lot like another foolish know nothing (tracker) to me.
> --
> The M$ warcry:
> Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.

Who are you talking to?

------------------------

And how does someone who can't even configure their newsreader and lacks
the sense to at least manually type in the name of the person they are
replying to, with a few snippets of that post to identify it, has
the audacity to talk down to anyone on matters technical?

If you are addressing Nico, my guess would be that he's at work and is
forced to use Windoze there.

I guarantee that what YOU know about Linux would fit in one of his sub-sub-
sub-directories on a forgotten partition.

AC

0
Alan
1/12/2004 9:01:22 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:42:47 +0000, nunya <business@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> Who are you talking to?
>>
> Obviously NOT YOU.

I use ed(1) as my Usenet pager/editor, and have not yet seen anything but
that line of yours above.

What kind of an idiot thinks that they are having, or can have, a private
converstation on the Usenet?

You need to just shut your fucking mouth and spend some time on the Usenet
and learn what the customs are before posting again.

Killfiled until June.

Go waste someone else's time.

My newsreader is a Snot-Nosed-Punk-Free-Zone.

news.answers
news.announce.newusers
news.newusers.questions
news.groups.questions
news.software.readers

http://www.faqs.org/usenet/

The rest deleted unseen.

AC
0
Alan
1/13/2004 12:58:39 AM
"William Winkler" <nospamouiouiliouinqui@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<bthp6e$pee$1@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...
> depmod returned no output.
> However... dmesg indicated that there is no device driver for /dev/hdb...
> see my reply to Davide Bianchi.
>
> Thanks for giving me an idea to try out.
>     Bill
>
> "Lenard" <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:37:13 -0600, William Winkler typed:
> >
> > > I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around
> > > to throwing out.  It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get
> > > to the CD player.  I tried a mount command:
> > >
> > > mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Any ideas whether Linux can get to this CD player?  It seems odd that
> > > the Linux installer can operate the CD player, but Linux itself can't!
> >
> > Try using the command as root from the console or xterm session:
> > /sbin/depmod -ae
> >

> > --
> > SCO + RICO Act = Justice
> >
> >              Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

As the OP mentioned, the BIOS itself is not recognising the CD-ROM, to
check the jumper settings on the CD-ROM may be a good idea also if he
has a spare ribbon cable connect it to the secondary IDE port on the
Motherboard.

HTH
0
pankajdel2001

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I have had this problem with the Fefora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358. But with the kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl there is no problem to play CD. I have tried different ways after reading other threads on this and other forums but still does not work. Here are some files maybe helpful for you guys. Thanks! # ls -l /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 4 11:24 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 ###########################################3 # cat /etc/fstab.rpmsave LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
hi I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. my fstab: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 ls -l /proc/ide r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 piix modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel" what am I doing wrong? kuisi On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote: > hi > > I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom > returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t > iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" > I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. > > my fstab: > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 > > ls -l /proc/ide > r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 > May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc > -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 > root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- ...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2
I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any comment on the lines below are welcome: I have: [root@chouette /]# mount /mnt/cdrom mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device I guess the following is ok: [root@chouette /]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 So much for the following: [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 30 2004 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/hdc brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Aug 30 2001 /dev/hdc However, I think here is a good hint ("driver not present") [root@chouette /]# grep hdc /var/log/dmesg ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: driver not present Also, maybe this would be useful to read: [root@chouette /]# /sbin/lsmod | grep id [root@chouette /]# cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide [root@chouette ide]# ls ataraid.o hptraid.o ide-cd.o ide-cs.o ide-tape.o pdcraid.o [root@chouette ide]# /sbin/insmod ide-cd.o ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_sense_R2001c4a1 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_get_last_written_Ra27af6fe ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_select_R1f88a106 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol init_...

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 ...

Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hello, Problem: I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB. The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB interface. The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3. I am trying to mount ext3 one. I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this: # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus The error I am getting is: mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device My /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus ext3 defaults 0 0 I think I have all needed modules loaded: # lsmod | egrep 'sc|sd' sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclean) (unused) ide-scsi 12208 0 scsi_mod 107160 3 [sd_mod sr_mod ide-scsi] Does anyone see anything wrong or missing? Is there anything else I need to set up before this will work? Any help would be very very very much much much appreciated! Thank you. OtisUsenet wrote: > Hello, > > Problem: > > I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to > my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB. > The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB > interface. > The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3. I am trying to > mount ext3 one. > > I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this: > > # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus > &...

mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfectly with kernel 2.6.10. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem would be appreciated. Obviously both kernels use the same fstab and many other common files. dmesg seems to see the correct cdrom drive. Thanks for any thoughts. Ed "ed doyle" <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote in message news:YUWGd.1844$Rs.450@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi, > I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with > no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now > can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount > a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". > If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything > continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything > else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfect...

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
A good number of results turn up on google...but little help. I've tried most of the offered fixes below. Still doesn't solve the problem. I updated from kernel-2.4.20-20 to kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl The older kernel-2.4.20 always has in the system log: Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide This doesn't appear when booting into the new kernel-2.4.22 The new kernel deleted the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0 from /etc/fstab and throws the line in...

Usb CompactFlash, mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have a problem with mounting a CompactFlash card using a card reader. I've followed all the instructions I could find via Google but still no joy. When mounting the card as a disk there are two errors: root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device The card reader is a Belkin F5U140 and plugs into the USB port. I have tried three different CF cards, two of which contain images and can be viewed without problem on a Nikon CP4300 digital camera. The kernel log messages (below) indicate that the cards are recognised as CompactFlash, even the size seems okay (64MB & 256MB cards), but the partition table cannot be read. Below is pasted all of the diagnostics I could find. *Any* help much appreciated as I've exhausted the howto's and google search and am now completely stumped. Further info on request... Cheers, -bernie. root@netvista:~# uname -a Linux netvista 2.2.20 #1 Thu Feb 26 18:12:28 UTC 2004 i686 unknown root@netvista:~# lsmod Module Size Used by vfat 9428 0 (autoclean) usb-storage 11464 0 st 24588 0 (autoclean) (unused) ide-scsi 7060 0 (autoclean) sg 14928 0 (autoclean) usb-uhci 18220 0 (unused) mousedev ...

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

Not a valid block device when trying to mount NTFS partition
I've recently switched back to Debian after having using Fedora Core 2 for a while. I have Debian (testing) installed on a second hard drive in my PC, with a working Windows XP installation on my first hard drive. Under Debian, I cannot mount the NTFS partition at all; Fedora never had a problem with it. Here is my FSTAB entry: /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs defaults,ro,user,umask=222 0 0 When I try to mount it (even as root), I get the following message: mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device I know that the drive works, because I can boot into Windows without a problem from GRUB. Debian's kernel ships with NTFS support as a module, which I have verified as being loaded. Does anyone have any advice for me? Any help is appreciated. Regards, Jonathan ...

error=> /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
Hello, I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it fails to mount floppy drive with error mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device I check /etc/fstab there is entry for /dev/fd0 to mount at /mnt/floppy. Also My default Redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 does mount the floppy without any problem. I check for modules they are already loaded in 2.4.30 when i /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but it fails. I am Mounting Floppy as root. rahul8143@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it > fails to mount floppy d...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount ...

mounting eeprom device as file system block device ?
Hi Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as a disk device ? I currently have eeprom access in userspace but i would like to have a driver so from user point of view it behaves like a disk (mountable ) drive Any hints ? Regards Johan i am talking about small serial eeprom devices (64K bit) "Sagaert Johan" <sagaert.j AT belgacom.net> wrote in message news:433280c8$0$18366$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi > > Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as > a disk device ? ...

not a valid block device
Apparently it only works every OTHER day. I got help with this Lexar SmartMedia card reader and Redhat 8.0. Some days, it works fine, other days, it complains that it's not a valid block device. The output of dmesg is below. Do you see anything in there that gives a clue? I can plug the camera in with its own USB cable and use gphoto2 to retrieve the files, so there's nothing wrong with the card. [root@crisium mnt]# mount /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device [root@crisium mnt]# /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat no...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- a...

CDROM block device driver
Hi, I am working on a CDROM block device driver in linux 2.6.26. In the request function I call the function elv_next_request to get the next request. From the request I use the req->sector, req->nr_sectors, req->buffer to read the issue a read to CDROM sectors. Mount and directory browsing results in a request of 4 blocks of data which works. But when copying a file, it makes a bigger request (64, 128, 265 etc). So for a request of 128 sectors, my request function reads all these consecutive sectors, but in subsequent request starting address is the previous sector +...

How to setup linux without cdrom?
Hello everyone I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help! Have a good day! B.R. Joffre In comp.os.linux.setup tech11 <tech11@sohu.com>: > Hello everyone > I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up > linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and > install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing > server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I > remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the > machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm > using red hat. Thanks for your help! Sure it is possible if your nic is PXE capable, a properly tagged kernel is delivered on the RH install CDs. You need dhcp + tftp + (nfs|http|ftp) server. I'd rather suggest using http then nfs as install repository. Though for a single system I'd install via floppy if possible, which should be easier...

Determining if a device is mounted
I am writing an installer application using C++, on Solaris and it involves changing CDs to complete an installation. Now, while the standard use case is of installation from a set of CDs, it is also possible that instead of CDs, the source of the files might be an NFS mounted drive. I need to find out a way to determine if the source directory is on a CDROM device, or on an NFS mounted drive. Next, if it is on a CDROM device, I want to eject it. For this, I guess I could either use system("eject ..."); or some ioctl call on the particular CDROM device file descriptor. But I am quite...

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

HOW-TO setup block devices with O_DIRECT on RHEL5
I was looking for the information on how setup and use Informix block devices on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, since that OS version discontinues raw devices. I have found no document that entirely fulfilled my needs, so I've investigated by myself and figured out the solution. Since it can be of interest for others as well, I am posting my findings here - hope it can be useful. Background - what are raw devices and block devices? * RAW DEVICE (or CHARACTER DEVICE) = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines;...

mount: /dev/sda1: unknown device
I have been using flash drives with my laptop for some time. I attached one last night and used it. Then I unmounted it. Then I mounted it again and got the error message in the subject line. Here is what /etc/fstab says: LABEL=/ / ext2 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext2 defaults 1 2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0...

NAS device uses linux os
To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these? I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in them. It would be nice to be able to SSH into it, as it is now, the only interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job... Eric --- * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- ...

Web resources about - mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device - comp.os.linux.setup