f



mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

hi

I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom
returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t
iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/"
I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success.

my fstab:
/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

ls -l /proc/ide
r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc -> ide1/hdc
dr-xr-xr-x  3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0
dr-xr-xr-x  3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1
-r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 piix

modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel"

what am I doing wrong?

kuisi
0
sepp
5/10/2004 10:19:39 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
597 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:

> hi
> 
> I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom
> returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t
> iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/"
> I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success.
> 
> my fstab:
> /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> 
> ls -l /proc/ide
> r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8
> May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc
> -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x  3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x  3
> root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16
> piix
> 
> modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel"
> 
> what am I doing wrong?

Did you perhaps miss the IDE-SCSI emulation configuration when you created
your custom 2.6.5 kernel?

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m

The CD does not have a partition so 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
or 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /mnt/cdrom' (assuming the CD device is the
first scssi device on your system) should work. Also check the symbolic
link 'ls -al /dev/cdrom' and make sure it is to /dev/hdc.

IDE-SCSI emulation is no longer needed with the 2.6 kernels and has not
really been needed since kernel 2.4.20 or so for 'burning' CD media. So
you might want to remove the 'hdc=ide-scsi' section from your boot loader
and re-create your symbolic link (/dev/cdrom).


-- 
"In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96
0
Lenard
5/10/2004 11:38:32 AM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

In comp.os.linux.setup Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> suggested:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:

[ problems mounting cdrom ]

> The CD does not have a partition so 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
> or 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /mnt/cdrom' (assuming the CD device is the
> first scssi device on your system) should work. Also check the symbolic

/dev/sda is usually the first scsi disk, the first scsi cdrom is
/dev/scd0.

-- 
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAn7hfAkPEju3Se5QRAjgsAJ0Rm/SEa/zQdJ+1Ws+jFfxgJObd5QCgpmnF
cn7o8oKg8LcvhE1NNU9oTVM=
=v67X
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0
Michael
5/10/2004 5:14:08 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Michael Heiming wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>
> In comp.os.linux.setup Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> suggested:
>
>>On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:
>
>
> [ problems mounting cdrom ]
>
>
>>The CD does not have a partition so 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
>>or 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /mnt/cdrom' (assuming the CD device is the
>>first scssi device on your system) should work. Also check the symbolic
>
>
> /dev/sda is usually the first scsi disk, the first scsi cdrom is
> /dev/scd0.

Or /dev/sr0
  lpitcher@merlin:~$ ls -l /dev/scd0 /dev/scd0
  brw-r-----    1 root     disk      11,   0 Jul 18  1994 /dev/scd0
  brw-r-----    1 root     disk      11,   0 Jul 18  1994 /dev/scd0

- From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
 11 char        Raw keyboard device
                  0 = /dev/kbd          Raw keyboard device

                The raw keyboard device is used on Linux/SPARC only.

    block       SCSI CD-ROM devices
                  0 = /dev/sr0          First SCSI CD-ROM
                  1 = /dev/sr1          Second SCSI CD-ROM
                    ...

                The prefix /dev/scd instead of /dev/sr has been used
                as well, and might make more sense.

- --
Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Enterprise Application Architecture,
Enterprise Technology Solutions, TD Bank Financial Group

(Opinions expressed are my own, not my employers')
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFAn7qragVFX4UWr64RApFBAKDrQyaJE38bEly5cEm0y8PvLlLiKwCeI5cU
O3MPudVG17j/63eEhrRmzoo=
=Jv7w
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0
Lew
5/10/2004 5:23:58 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

In comp.os.linux.setup Lew Pitcher <Lew.Pitcher@td.com> suggested:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1

> Michael Heiming wrote:

>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.setup Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> suggested:
>>
>>>On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:
>>
>>
>> [ problems mounting cdrom ]
[..]
>> /dev/sda is usually the first scsi disk, the first scsi cdrom is
>> /dev/scd0.

> Or /dev/sr0
>  lpitcher@merlin:~$ ls -l /dev/scd0 /dev/scd0
>  brw-r-----    1 root     disk      11,   0 Jul 18  1994 /dev/scd0

Typo?

> - From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
[..]

>    block       SCSI CD-ROM devices
>                  0 = /dev/sr0          First SCSI CD-ROM
>                  1 = /dev/sr1          Second SCSI CD-ROM
>                    ...

>                The prefix /dev/scd instead of /dev/sr has been used
>                as well, and might make more sense.

Seems to depend on your distro, no sr[0-9] devices here (RH) at
all, but I'm sure I have been using them on other distro. 

-- 
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAn8jTAkPEju3Se5QRAqPeAJ0Wr+xkkTH4lar8lLGfmG3tWiY97gCfY+5l
MfKVPFj37w0geyQ2cBdhpZo=
=IbGC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0
Michael
5/10/2004 6:24:21 PM
Lenard wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:
> 
>> hi
>> 
>> I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom
>> returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t
>> iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/"
>> I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success.
>> 
>> my fstab:
>> /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>> 
>> ls -l /proc/ide
>> r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8
>> May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc
>> -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x  3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x  3
>> root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r--  1 root root 0 May 10 12:16
>> piix
>> 
>> modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel"
>> 
>> what am I doing wrong?
> 
> Did you perhaps miss the IDE-SCSI emulation configuration when you created
> your custom 2.6.5 kernel?
> 
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
> 
> The CD does not have a partition so 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
> or 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /mnt/cdrom' (assuming the CD device is the
> first scssi device on your system) should work. Also check the symbolic
> link 'ls -al /dev/cdrom' and make sure it is to /dev/hdc.
> 
> IDE-SCSI emulation is no longer needed with the 2.6 kernels and has not
> really been needed since kernel 2.4.20 or so for 'burning' CD media. So
> you might want to remove the 'hdc=ide-scsi' section from your boot loader
> and re-create your symbolic link (/dev/cdrom).
> 
> 
when I remove the 'hdc=ide-scsi' parameter,during mounting I get the error

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file system

do I really need the scsi emulation?
0
sepp
5/10/2004 9:45:45 PM
sepp wrote:
> 
> when I remove the 'hdc=ide-scsi' parameter,during mounting I get the error
> 
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file system
> 
> do I really need the scsi emulation?

Is the drive jumpered (master, slave) correctly?

-- 
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/
Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.26 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.3
Uptime: 8 days, 12:47, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.15, 0.68
0
David
5/10/2004 10:08:05 PM
On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote:

> hi
> 
> I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom
> returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t
> iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/"
> I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success.

Perhaps you are trying to use the wrong device:

# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root   8 Apr  4 16:28 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/sr0

0
Dave
5/10/2004 11:39:44 PM
David wrote:

> sepp wrote:
>> 
>> when I remove the 'hdc=ide-scsi' parameter,during mounting I get the
>> error
>> 
>> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>>        or too many mounted file system
>> 
>> do I really need the scsi emulation?
> 
> Is the drive jumpered (master, slave) correctly?
> 

I was installing Fedora Linux from CDs, and under WindowsXP, there is no
problem acessing the CD-drive. btw my machine is a Dell Inspiron 8600
0
sepp
5/11/2004 12:14:13 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around to throwing out. It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get to the CD player. I tried a mount command: mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but get the message mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.) The CD drive is connected to the same ribbon cable as my hard disk, but is not recognized by my system bios, which shows only a primary master. When I was running Windows 98, Windows added the CD player to the Windows syste...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2
I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any comment on the lines below are welcome: I have: [root@chouette /]# mount /mnt/cdrom mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device I guess the following is ok: [root@chouette /]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 So much for the following: [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 30 2004 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/hdc brw-rw---- 1 root ...

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 ...

Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hello, Problem: I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB. The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB interface. The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3. I am trying to mount ext3 one. I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this: # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus The error I am getting is: mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device My /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus ext3 defaults 0 0 I think I have all needed modul...

mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfectly with kernel 2.6.10. Any suggestions as to what might be ...

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
A good number of results turn up on google...but little help. I've tried most of the offered fixes below. Still doesn't solve the problem. I updated from kernel-2.4.20-20 to kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl The older kernel-2.4.20 always has in the system log: Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide This doesn't appear when booting into the new kernel-2.4.22 The new kernel deleted the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0 from /etc/fstab and throws the line in...

Usb CompactFlash, mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have a problem with mounting a CompactFlash card using a card reader. I've followed all the instructions I could find via Google but still no joy. When mounting the card as a disk there are two errors: root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device The card reader is a Belkin F5U140 and plugs into the USB port. I have tried three different CF cards, two of which contain images and can be...

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

Not a valid block device when trying to mount NTFS partition
I've recently switched back to Debian after having using Fedora Core 2 for a while. I have Debian (testing) installed on a second hard drive in my PC, with a working Windows XP installation on my first hard drive. Under Debian, I cannot mount the NTFS partition at all; Fedora never had a problem with it. Here is my FSTAB entry: /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs defaults,ro,user,umask=222 0 0 When I try to mount it (even as root), I get the following message: mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device I know that the drive works, because I can boot into Windows wi...

error=> /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
Hello, I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it fails to mount floppy drive with error mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device I check /etc/fstab there is entry for /dev/fd0 to mount at /mnt/floppy. Also My default Redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 does mount the floppy without any problem. I check for modules they are already loaded in 2.4.30 when i /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but it fails. I am Mounting Floppy as root. rahul8143@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it > fails to mount floppy d...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount ...

mounting eeprom device as file system block device ?
Hi Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as a disk device ? I currently have eeprom access in userspace but i would like to have a driver so from user point of view it behaves like a disk (mountable ) drive Any hints ? Regards Johan i am talking about small serial eeprom devices (64K bit) "Sagaert Johan" <sagaert.j AT belgacom.net> wrote in message news:433280c8$0$18366$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi > > Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as > a disk device ? ...

not a valid block device
Apparently it only works every OTHER day. I got help with this Lexar SmartMedia card reader and Redhat 8.0. Some days, it works fine, other days, it complains that it's not a valid block device. The output of dmesg is below. Do you see anything in there that gives a clue? I can plug the camera in with its own USB cable and use gphoto2 to retrieve the files, so there's nothing wrong with the card. [root@crisium mnt]# mount /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device [root@crisium mnt]# /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat no...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- a...

CDROM block device driver
Hi, I am working on a CDROM block device driver in linux 2.6.26. In the request function I call the function elv_next_request to get the next request. From the request I use the req->sector, req->nr_sectors, req->buffer to read the issue a read to CDROM sectors. Mount and directory browsing results in a request of 4 blocks of data which works. But when copying a file, it makes a bigger request (64, 128, 265 etc). So for a request of 128 sectors, my request function reads all these consecutive sectors, but in subsequent request starting address is the previous sector +...

How to setup linux without cdrom?
Hello everyone I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help! Have a good day! B.R. Joffre In comp.os.linux.setup tech11 <tech11@sohu.com>: > Hello everyone > I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up > linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and > install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing > server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I > remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the > machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm > using red hat. Thanks for your help! Sure it is possible if your nic is PXE capable, a properly tagged kernel is delivered on the RH install CDs. You need dhcp + tftp + (nfs|http|ftp) server. I'd rather suggest using http then nfs as install repository. Though for a single system I'd install via floppy if possible, which should be easier...

Determining if a device is mounted
I am writing an installer application using C++, on Solaris and it involves changing CDs to complete an installation. Now, while the standard use case is of installation from a set of CDs, it is also possible that instead of CDs, the source of the files might be an NFS mounted drive. I need to find out a way to determine if the source directory is on a CDROM device, or on an NFS mounted drive. Next, if it is on a CDROM device, I want to eject it. For this, I guess I could either use system("eject ..."); or some ioctl call on the particular CDROM device file descriptor. But I am quite...

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

HOW-TO setup block devices with O_DIRECT on RHEL5
I was looking for the information on how setup and use Informix block devices on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, since that OS version discontinues raw devices. I have found no document that entirely fulfilled my needs, so I've investigated by myself and figured out the solution. Since it can be of interest for others as well, I am posting my findings here - hope it can be useful. Background - what are raw devices and block devices? * RAW DEVICE (or CHARACTER DEVICE) = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines;...

mount: /dev/sda1: unknown device
I have been using flash drives with my laptop for some time. I attached one last night and used it. Then I unmounted it. Then I mounted it again and got the error message in the subject line. Here is what /etc/fstab says: LABEL=/ / ext2 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext2 defaults 1 2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0...

NAS device uses linux os
To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these? I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in them. It would be nice to be able to SSH into it, as it is now, the only interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job... Eric --- * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- ...

Web resources about - mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device - comp.os.linux.setup

Resources last updated: 2/17/2016 4:36:48 AM