mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2

I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any
comment on the lines below are welcome:

I have:

   [root@chouette /]# mount /mnt/cdrom
   mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

I guess the following is ok:

   [root@chouette /]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab
   /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

So much for the following:

   [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/cdrom
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Oct 30  2004 /dev/cdrom ->
     /dev/hdc
   [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/hdc
   brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/hdc

However, I think here is a good hint ("driver not present")

   [root@chouette /]# grep hdc /var/log/dmesg
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
   hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
   hdc: driver not present

Also, maybe this would be useful to read:

   [root@chouette /]# /sbin/lsmod | grep id
   [root@chouette /]#  cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide
   [root@chouette ide]# ls
   ataraid.o  hptraid.o  ide-cd.o  ide-cs.o  ide-tape.o  pdcraid.o
   [root@chouette ide]# /sbin/insmod ide-cd.o
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_sense_R2001c4a1
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_get_last_written_Ra27af6fe
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_select_R1f88a106
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol init_cdrom_command_Rfacde1b5
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_fops_R5849550a
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_number_of_slots_R72c4d34f
   ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol register_cdrom_R8898dca8
   [root@chouette ide]#

I guess that my RH7.2 installation did lack a step. Which one, I am not
too sure. Since I installed from this cdrom, which did work booting from
a diskette, I guess I have to start again.

The cdrom drive is connected on ide1, as master, on the first connector
found on the cable starting from the motherboard.

Hints, comments are welcome. Thanks.

0
ISO
9/2/2005 3:46:09 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Ga�tan Martineau wrote:
> I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any
> comment on the lines below are welcome:

[snip]

I can further point that I have:

    [root@chouette usr]# dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/null bs=2048
    dd: opening `/dev/hdc': No such device or address
0
ISO
9/2/2005 4:59:42 PM
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:46:09 -0400, Ga�tan Martineau
  <gmarti@pasdespammediom.qc.ca> wrote:

>    [root@chouette /]# /sbin/lsmod | grep id
>    [root@chouette /]#  cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide
>    [root@chouette ide]# ls
>    ataraid.o  hptraid.o  ide-cd.o  ide-cs.o  ide-tape.o  pdcraid.o
>    [root@chouette ide]# /sbin/insmod ide-cd.o
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_sense_R2001c4a1
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_get_last_written_Ra27af6fe
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_select_R1f88a106
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol init_cdrom_command_Rfacde1b5
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_fops_R5849550a
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_number_of_slots_R72c4d34f
>    ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol register_cdrom_R8898dca8
>    [root@chouette ide]#

Try "modprobe" instead of "insmod".

--
Yow!  Now I get to think about all the BAD THINGS I did to a BOWLING
BALL when I was in JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL!

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I have had this problem with the Fefora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358. But with the kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl there is no problem to play CD. I have tried different ways after reading other threads on this and other forums but still does not work. Here are some files maybe helpful for you guys. Thanks! # ls -l /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 4 11:24 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 ###########################################3 # cat /etc/fstab.rpmsave LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
hi I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. my fstab: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 ls -l /proc/ide r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 piix modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel" what am I doing wrong? kuisi On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote: > hi > > I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom > returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t > iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" > I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. > > my fstab: > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 > > ls -l /proc/ide > r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 > May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc > -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 > root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- ...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around to throwing out. It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get to the CD player. I tried a mount command: mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but get the message mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.) The CD drive is connected to the same ribbon cable as my hard disk, but is not recognized by my system bios, which shows only a primary master. When I was running Windows 98, Windows added the CD player to the Windows syste...

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 ...

mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with no problems of any kind. I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10. I now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfectly with kernel 2.6.10. Any suggestions as to what might be ...

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
A good number of results turn up on google...but little help. I've tried most of the offered fixes below. Still doesn't solve the problem. I updated from kernel-2.4.20-20 to kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl The older kernel-2.4.20 always has in the system log: Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide This doesn't appear when booting into the new kernel-2.4.22 The new kernel deleted the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0 from /etc/fstab and throws the line in...

Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hello, Problem: I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB. The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB interface. The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3. I am trying to mount ext3 one. I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this: # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus The error I am getting is: mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device My /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus ext3 defaults 0 0 I think I have all needed modul...

Usb CompactFlash, mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have a problem with mounting a CompactFlash card using a card reader. I've followed all the instructions I could find via Google but still no joy. When mounting the card as a disk there are two errors: root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device The card reader is a Belkin F5U140 and plugs into the USB port. I have tried three different CF cards, two of which contain images and can be viewed without problem on a Nikon CP4300 digital camera. The kernel log messages (below) indicate that the cards are recognised as CompactFlash, even the size seems okay (64MB & 256MB cards), but the partition table cannot be read. Below is pasted all of the diagnostics I could find. *Any* help much appreciated as I've exhausted the howto's and google search and am now completely stumped. Further info on request... Cheers, -bernie. root@netvista:~# uname -a Linux netvista 2.2.20 #1 Thu Feb 26 18:12:28 UTC 2004 i686 unknown root@netvista:~# lsmod Module Size Used by vfat 9428 0 (autoclean) usb-storage 11464 0 st 24588 0 (autoclean) (unused) ide-scsi 7060 0 (autoclean) sg 14928 0 (autoclean) usb-uhci 18220 0 (unused) mousedev ...

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

Does the NT 4 OS/2 subsystem support OS/2 network devices?
Tim? "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:46WUr.25879$Yf7.11775@newsfe16.iad... > Tim? I don't quite understand the question, but the network adapter drivers will be NT4's and MS LAN Manager and IBM LAN Server can be made compatible enough to co-operate in a common Domain, with a few considerations taken into account. Is that what you mean? -- Cheers, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) Guildford, U.K. Ugh... me hardware guy... no code do I... Stick network card into NT box... Use OS/2 drivers... How's that, Tim? I c...

How to mount OTG Device in Linux 2.6
Hi guys, I've worked for implementing OTG features in Intel PXA27x environment with ISP1301. So, I've modified pxa27x_udc.c,pxa27x_ohci.c, and isp1301_omap.c. And now, these drivers are intialized at boot-up time and working together. But, I have no idea how to enable Linux to detect OTG device especially mounting the device. Could I mount the OTG device same to USB device like "mount /dev/sda1 mnt/usb" ? If u have some ideas, please give some hints to me. ...

Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.5-1.327: Mount CF Card returns: mount: <device> already mounted or <directory> busy
Hello, I'm Running Fedora Core 2 Test 3. I have a USB CF Card Reader: [root@neo /]# cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/3 Host scsi3: usb-storage Vendor: LEXAR MEDIA Product: CF CARD Serial Number: 1115321335949 Protocol: Transparent SCSI Transport: Bulk Quirks: When I try to mount it, I get the following error message: [root@neo /]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda3 /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda3 already mounted or /mnt/usb busy My /etc/fstab file: usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 Any takers? Thx, Erasmo ...

Not a valid block device when trying to mount NTFS partition
I've recently switched back to Debian after having using Fedora Core 2 for a while. I have Debian (testing) installed on a second hard drive in my PC, with a working Windows XP installation on my first hard drive. Under Debian, I cannot mount the NTFS partition at all; Fedora never had a problem with it. Here is my FSTAB entry: /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs defaults,ro,user,umask=222 0 0 When I try to mount it (even as root), I get the following message: mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device I know that the drive works, because I can boot into Windows wi...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount ...

error=> /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
Hello, I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it fails to mount floppy drive with error mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device I check /etc/fstab there is entry for /dev/fd0 to mount at /mnt/floppy. Also My default Redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 does mount the floppy without any problem. I check for modules they are already loaded in 2.4.30 when i /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but it fails. I am Mounting Floppy as root. rahul8143@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it > fails to mount floppy d...

Caching behavior on Linux 2.4.18 for block devices
Hi folks, On Linux 2.4.18, when a process requests a block that is already in the block cache, does the kernel map the block cache containing that block to the requesting process's address space OR copy the content to the requesting process's address space? If the answer is the first one, what will happen if >1 processes are sharing the block cache but 1 of them intends to modify the content? Thank you! --Yipkei Yipkei Kwok wrote: > Hi folks, > > On Linux 2.4.18, when a process requests a block that is already in What did you meant by request? Processes use system ca...

mounting digital camera as block device? (kernel 2.6)
OK, this is driving me nuts! :) What do I need to compile into a 2.6 kernel in order to be able to mount a digital camera (Canon Powershot G5) as a block device? So far attempts to build anything that'll give me a SCSI device to mount have met with no success - however I *can* access the camera fine using Gphoto2. My system's using a SCSI controller already - possibly some sort of conflict? Anyway, I've built a kernel with the following (and various combinations thereof): Automatic kernel module loading SCSI generic support SCSI disk support IDE support (...

i need mac os 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 FULL Setup CD
if anyone have cd image of os 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 full setup , can upload it somewhere , and give a link for download? thank you In article <1130359811.732584.13440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "hayret@gmail.com" <hayret@gmail.com> wrote: > if anyone have cd image of os 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 full setup , can upload it > somewhere , and give a link for download? > > thank you This is a paid upgrade. Well, doing that would be illegal and a violation of Apple's Copyright. But you _knew_ that, right? Try eBay (beware that you buy a version that's for your...

Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment
Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment Introduction by Example of the MPLAYER port 2007-07-16 22.00 first draft 1. Introduction and Credits The discussion of the MPlayer port comes up with the above subject. Thanks to Dave Yeo for the hint to the subject and the porting of the GNU Core Utils ( http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/) OS/2 port on Hobbes: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=coreutils_5.93 2.1 The Linux symbolic link function ( extract ) is introduced by the example of the MPlayer OS/2 port installation 2.2 Here are two of the directories / files used by MPlayer ~/.mplayer --> %MPLAYER_HOME% ~/.mplayer/font/ --> %MPLAYER_HOME%\font 2.3 Symbolic Link to a file, a directory In the Linux implementation "Symbolic Link" can be used to define/reference the location / the font to be used for OSD Here is a description of the function symbolic link in Linux (part of it - excerpt ) http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ln.htm ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME] Here with mplayer it is used ln -s TARGET LINK_NAME LINK_NAME used here with the example: for a file "subfont" located at ~/.mplayer/subfont.fft ...

[wx 2.6.0, Windows XP/Linux, Dev-CPP] Make a screenshot (with Device Contexts?)
Hi, Is it possible with wxWidgets 2.6.0 to make screenshots? One method i found with GDI, but thats not portable: ------------------------------------------------------------------------- // get a handle to the Desktop Device Context, and create a // compatible DC to copy into HDC hdc = GetDC(NULL); HDC hDest = CreateCompatibleDC(hdc) ; // get the height and width of the screen // (multiple Monitors? see notes) int height = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYVIRTUALSCREEN ) ; int width = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXVIRTUALSCREEN) ; // create a bitmap, HBITMAP hbDesktop = CreateCompatibleBitmap( ...

linux kernel 2.6.3
I am not sure if I am experiencing a silo problem, or a problem with a kernel configuration. I have a couple of sparc machines that I am attempting to build 2.6.3 kernels for. I have gotten one to build now, but I am unable to get it to finish booting. At the bootprompt, I have typed in the name of my image (from silo.conf) with the "-p" argument so I can see the output. The boot process recognizes my kernel image and starts in on the boot process, then ends at: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) I would normally figure I had misconfigured ...

mounting eeprom device as file system block device ?
Hi Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as a disk device ? I currently have eeprom access in userspace but i would like to have a driver so from user point of view it behaves like a disk (mountable ) drive Any hints ? Regards Johan i am talking about small serial eeprom devices (64K bit) "Sagaert Johan" <sagaert.j AT belgacom.net> wrote in message news:433280c8$0$18366$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi > > Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as > a disk device ? ...

OT: OS/2 or OS/NOT-2
Wow-- I've been *trying* to play with OS/2 Warp 4, trying to get on the internet. I'm very familiar with Windows (of course) and Linux-- OS/2 on the other hand, that's a different story. Getting this thing on the internet has been a pain. It works, finally. :) Now-- I realize that I'm basically stuck in the DOS age when it comes to dealing with files, like one of the most rudementary types of files-- zip files!!! Is there not a Winzip/WinRar-like app for OS/2? Can someone lead me to the light? What stuff do I need to put on this thing before it's eve...

Linux+OS/2 integration options in eCS 2.0?
I'm planning to replace my existing OS/2 machine with something less archaic, and I intend to install both eCS 2.0 and SuSE Linux on it. I would like to have a display showing applications on both concurrently and to use a single LAN adapter to provide Internet access for both concurrently. Does anybody have experience running eCS under a VMM manager like xen? Which packages include a virtual TCP/IP bridge? Is it reasonable to use X for desktop integration? If not, are there other options? -- Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> Unsolicited bulk...

Web resources about - mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2 - comp.os.linux.setup