f



mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device

Hi,
I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with 
no problems of any kind.  I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10.  I 
now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to 
mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block 
device".  If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and 
everything continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, 
everything else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work 
perfectly with kernel 2.6.10.  Any suggestions as to what might be 
causing this problem would be appreciated.  Obviously both kernels use 
the same fstab and many other common files. dmesg seems to see the 
correct cdrom drive.  Thanks for any thoughts.
Ed
0
ed
1/17/2005 10:22:48 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
258 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 9

"ed doyle" <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:YUWGd.1844$Rs.450@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Hi,
> I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with 
> no problems of any kind.  I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10.  I now 
> can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to mount 
> a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device". 
> If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and everything 
> continues to work perfectly. As far as I have tested so far, everything 
> else usb keyboard, mouse, networking, sound, appears to work perfectly 
> with kernel 2.6.10.  Any suggestions as to what might be causing this 
> problem would be appreciated.  Obviously both kernels use the same fstab 
> and many other common files. dmesg seems to see the correct cdrom drive. 
> Thanks for any thoughts.

Don't do that. Really. You need a new modutils to boot a 2.6 kernel, and a 
bunch of other recommended updates that are just not worth the time. Upgrade 
to a clean Fedora Core 3, or if you have to install on RedHat 9, take a look 
at the various RPM's published for Fedora Core 3 or on www.fedoralegacy.org 


0
Nico
1/18/2005 1:24:58 AM
ed doyle <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with 
> no problems of any kind.  I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10.  I 
> now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to 
> mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block 
> device".  If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and 
> everything continues to work perfectly.

Du you have all the requisite programs and tools needed for a 2.6
kernel (see Documentation/Changes)? A current version of 'mount'?
I assume that /dev/cdrom1 is a symbolic link.
Can you do an ls -l of what it points to?
Are there any messages in /var/log/messages? Any in dmesg?
Can you describe your CDROM drive?
What kernel options have you used to build a driver for it?
Do you use devfs?

I think there's nothing wrong with upgrading a RedHat 9 system to a 2.6
kernel.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
0
Laurenz
1/18/2005 9:25:40 AM
Laurenz Albe wrote:
> ed doyle <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>>I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with 
>>no problems of any kind.  I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10.  I 
>>now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to 
>>mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block 
>>device".  If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and 
>>everything continues to work perfectly.
> 
> 
> Du you have all the requisite programs and tools needed for a 2.6
> kernel (see Documentation/Changes)? A current version of 'mount'?
> I assume that /dev/cdrom1 is a symbolic link.
> Can you do an ls -l of what it points to?
> Are there any messages in /var/log/messages? Any in dmesg?
> Can you describe your CDROM drive?
> What kernel options have you used to build a driver for it?
> Do you use devfs?
> 
> I think there's nothing wrong with upgrading a RedHat 9 system to a 2.6
> kernel.
> 
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
Hi Laurenz - thanks for responding.

Du you have all the requisite programs and tools needed for a 2.6
 > kernel (see Documentation/Changes)?

For each item listed in Chages, I have the same or a later version 
except the following.

[root@localhost root]# fsck.jfs -V
fsck.jfs version 1.0.17, 02-Apr-2002

[root@localhost root]# quota -V
Quota utilities version 3.06.

[root@localhost root]# showmount --version
showmount for nfs-utils 1.0.1

[root@localhost root]# ps --version
procps version 2.0.11

Except for the above, my version is the same or a higher version.

----

A current version of 'mount'?

[root@localhost root]# mount --version
mount: mount-2.11y

----

I assume that /dev/cdrom1 is a symbolic link.
Can you do an ls -l of what it points to?

[root@localhost root]# ls -l /dev/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jan 18 14:29 /dev/cdrom1 -> 
/dev/hdc

----

Are there any messages in /var/log/messages? Any in dmesg?

[root@localhost root]# cat /var/log/messages | grep CD
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: hdc: LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI 
CD/DVD-ROM drive
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: hdd: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 ATAPI 
Model 010, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[root@localhost root]#

[root@localhost root]# cat /var/log/messages | grep cd
Jan 18 14:29:47 localhost kernel: pktcdvd: v0.2.0a 2004-07-14 Jens Axboe 
(axboe@suse.de) and petero2@telia.com
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: VIA 
Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: irq 9, io base 
0x1820
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: new USB bus 
registered, assigned bus number 1
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: VIA 
Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (#2)
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: irq 9, io base 
0x1840
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: new USB bus 
registered, assigned bus number 2
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 2
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 3
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.2: new low speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 4
Jan 18 14:30:26 localhost kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any 
tracks I recognize!
[root@localhost root]#

[root@localhost root]# dmesg | grep CD
hdc: LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 ATAPI Model 010, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[root@localhost root]#


[root@localhost root]# dmesg | grep cd
pktcdvd: v0.2.0a 2004-07-14 Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de) and petero2@telia.com
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 
Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: irq 9, io base 0x1820
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 
Controller (#2)
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: irq 9, io base 0x1840
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-1.2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
[root@localhost root]#

I should mention here that I have two CD drives, and there is no CD in 
the drive that is hdd.  If I put the cd that is in hdc into hdd, it is 
recognized.

----

Can you describe your CDROM drive?

LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

----

What kernel options have you used to build a driver for it?

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ grep CD .config
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=8
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_SL811_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=y
# CONFIG_USB_LCD is not set
# CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems
[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$


----

Do you use devfs?

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ grep DEVFS .config
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$

----

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.10 #13 Mon Jan 17 18:54:41 EST 2005 i686 
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

----


I have continued to use kernel 2.6.10 all day today and other than not 
being able to mount a CD in one of my cd drives, it has behaved 
perfectly.  I have not seen any other problems of any kind.  Thanks for 
any further thought you might give to this.  The other CD drive 
continues to work perfectly.  I have verified that if I reboot with my 
2.4 kernel, then both CD drives (and everything else) still work.

Ed
0
ed
1/18/2005 8:51:09 PM
Laurenz Albe wrote:
> ed doyle <doyleed@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>>I have been running RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9 for a year or more with 
>>no problems of any kind.  I decided for fun to build kernel 2.6.10.  I 
>>now can boot either kernel, but if I boot kernel 2.6.10, if I attempt to 
>>mount a CD, I get the error "mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block 
>>device".  If I boot with kernel 2.4.20-31.9, I do not get this error and 
>>everything continues to work perfectly.
> 
> 
> Du you have all the requisite programs and tools needed for a 2.6
> kernel (see Documentation/Changes)? A current version of 'mount'?
> I assume that /dev/cdrom1 is a symbolic link.
> Can you do an ls -l of what it points to?
> Are there any messages in /var/log/messages? Any in dmesg?
> Can you describe your CDROM drive?
> What kernel options have you used to build a driver for it?
> Do you use devfs?
> 
> I think there's nothing wrong with upgrading a RedHat 9 system to a 2.6
> kernel.
> 
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
Hi Laurenz - thanks for responding.

Du you have all the requisite programs and tools needed for a 2.6
 > kernel (see Documentation/Changes)?

For each item listed in Chages, I have the same or a later version 
except the following.

[root@localhost root]# fsck.jfs -V
fsck.jfs version 1.0.17, 02-Apr-2002

[root@localhost root]# quota -V
Quota utilities version 3.06.

[root@localhost root]# showmount --version
showmount for nfs-utils 1.0.1

[root@localhost root]# ps --version
procps version 2.0.11

Except for the above, my version is the same or a higher version.

----

A current version of 'mount'?

[root@localhost root]# mount --version
mount: mount-2.11y

----

I assume that /dev/cdrom1 is a symbolic link.
Can you do an ls -l of what it points to?

[root@localhost root]# ls -l /dev/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jan 18 14:29 /dev/cdrom1 -> 
/dev/hdc

----

Are there any messages in /var/log/messages? Any in dmesg?

[root@localhost root]# cat /var/log/messages | grep CD
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: hdc: LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI 
CD/DVD-ROM drive
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: hdd: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 ATAPI 
Model 010, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[root@localhost root]#

[root@localhost root]# cat /var/log/messages | grep cd
Jan 18 14:29:47 localhost kernel: pktcdvd: v0.2.0a 2004-07-14 Jens Axboe 
(axboe@suse.de) and petero2@telia.com
Jan 18 14:29:48 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: VIA 
Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: irq 9, io base 
0x1820
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: new USB bus 
registered, assigned bus number 1
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: VIA 
Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (#2)
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: irq 9, io base 
0x1840
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: new USB bus 
registered, assigned bus number 2
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 2
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 3
Jan 18 14:29:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.2: new low speed USB device 
using uhci_hcd and address 4
Jan 18 14:30:26 localhost kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any 
tracks I recognize!
[root@localhost root]#

[root@localhost root]# dmesg | grep CD
hdc: LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 ATAPI Model 010, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[root@localhost root]#


[root@localhost root]# dmesg | grep cd
pktcdvd: v0.2.0a 2004-07-14 Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de) and petero2@telia.com
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 
Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: irq 9, io base 0x1820
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 
Controller (#2)
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: irq 9, io base 0x1840
uhci_hcd 0000:00:04.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-1.2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
[root@localhost root]#

I should mention here that I have two CD drives, and there is no CD in 
the drive that is hdd.  If I put the cd that is in hdc into hdd, it is 
recognized.

----

Can you describe your CDROM drive?

LITE-ON LTR-12101B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

----

What kernel options have you used to build a driver for it?

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ grep CD .config
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=8
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_SL811_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=y
# CONFIG_USB_LCD is not set
# CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems
[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$


----

Do you use devfs?

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ grep DEVFS .config
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$

----

[ed@localhost linux-2.6.10]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.10 #13 Mon Jan 17 18:54:41 EST 2005 i686 
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

----


I have continued to use kernel 2.6.10 all day today and other than not 
being able to mount a CD in one of my cd drives, it has behaved 
perfectly.  I have not seen any other problems of any kind.  Thanks for 
any further thought you might give to this.  The other CD drive 
continues to work perfectly.  I have verified that if I reboot with my 
2.4 kernel, then both CD drives (and everything else) still work.

Ed
0
ed
1/18/2005 8:53:11 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I recently installed Red Hat 7 on an old computer I hadn't gotten around to throwing out. It installed OK from CD, but after that I couldn't get to the CD player. I tried a mount command: mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but get the message mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device (And mount ... /dev/hdb ... gets the same error.) The CD drive is connected to the same ribbon cable as my hard disk, but is not recognized by my system bios, which shows only a primary master. When I was running Windows 98, Windows added the CD player to the Windows syste...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
I have had this problem with the Fefora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358. But with the kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl there is no problem to play CD. I have tried different ways after reading other threads on this and other forums but still does not work. Here are some files maybe helpful for you guys. Thanks! # ls -l /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 4 11:24 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0 ###########################################3 # cat /etc/fstab.rpmsave LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 none /proc proc defaults...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
hi I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. my fstab: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 ls -l /proc/ide r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 piix modprobe cdrom returns "Module cdrom already in kernel" what am I doing wrong? kuisi On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:19:39 +0200, sepp wrote: > hi > > I'm using Fedora FC1 with a self built kernel 2.6.5. mount /dev/cdrom > returns "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device". Same with "mount -t > iso9660 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cdrom/" > I also tried sdc0 instead of hdc1, without success. > > my fstab: > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9669 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 > > ls -l /proc/ide > r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 10 12:16 drivers lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 > May 10 12:16 hda -> ide0/hda lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 10 12:16 hdc > -> ide1/hdc dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 > root root 0 May 10 12:16 ide1 -r--r--r-- ...

Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hello, Problem: I'm having trouble mounting an external disk, which I connected to my computer running RedHat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) via USB. The external case holds an IDE disk, but the case has a USB interface. The disk has 2 partitions, one vfat, the other ext3. I am trying to mount ext3 one. I am trying to mount the disk as root, like this: # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus The error I am getting is: mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device My /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/colossus ext3 defaults 0 0 I think I have all needed modul...

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
A good number of results turn up on google...but little help. I've tried most of the offered fixes below. Still doesn't solve the problem. I updated from kernel-2.4.20-20 to kernel-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl The older kernel-2.4.20 always has in the system log: Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M Oct 25 06:04:59 localhost kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide This doesn't appear when booting into the new kernel-2.4.22 The new kernel deleted the line /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,kudzu 0 0 from /etc/fstab and throws the line in...

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device #2
I guess I am not far from the answer but still can't get it to work. Any comment on the lines below are welcome: I have: [root@chouette /]# mount /mnt/cdrom mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device I guess the following is ok: [root@chouette /]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 So much for the following: [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/cdrom lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 30 2004 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc [root@chouette ide]# ls -al /dev/hdc brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Aug 30 2001 /dev/hdc However, I think here is a good hint ("driver not present") [root@chouette /]# grep hdc /var/log/dmesg ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: driver not present Also, maybe this would be useful to read: [root@chouette /]# /sbin/lsmod | grep id [root@chouette /]# cd /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/ide [root@chouette ide]# ls ataraid.o hptraid.o ide-cd.o ide-cs.o ide-tape.o pdcraid.o [root@chouette ide]# /sbin/insmod ide-cd.o ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R94f2f104 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_sense_R2001c4a1 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_get_last_written_Ra27af6fe ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_mode_select_R1f88a106 ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol init_...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount ...

Usb CompactFlash, mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
Hi, I have a problem with mounting a CompactFlash card using a card reader. I've followed all the instructions I could find via Google but still no joy. When mounting the card as a disk there are two errors: root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, or too many mounted file systems root@netvista:~# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device The card reader is a Belkin F5U140 and plugs into the USB port. I have tried three different CF cards, two of which contain images and can be viewed without problem on a Nikon CP4300 digital camera. The kernel log messages (below) indicate that the cards are recognised as CompactFlash, even the size seems okay (64MB & 256MB cards), but the partition table cannot be read. Below is pasted all of the diagnostics I could find. *Any* help much appreciated as I've exhausted the howto's and google search and am now completely stumped. Further info on request... Cheers, -bernie. root@netvista:~# uname -a Linux netvista 2.2.20 #1 Thu Feb 26 18:12:28 UTC 2004 i686 unknown root@netvista:~# lsmod Module Size Used by vfat 9428 0 (autoclean) usb-storage 11464 0 st 24588 0 (autoclean) (unused) ide-scsi 7060 0 (autoclean) sg 14928 0 (autoclean) usb-uhci 18220 0 (unused) mousedev ...

"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error
Hiya all, I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories. Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts: [root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 ...

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

error=> /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
Hello, I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it fails to mount floppy drive with error mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device I check /etc/fstab there is entry for /dev/fd0 to mount at /mnt/floppy. Also My default Redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 does mount the floppy without any problem. I check for modules they are already loaded in 2.4.30 when i /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy but it fails. I am Mounting Floppy as root. rahul8143@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > I download kernel 2.4.26 and compiled it. When i boot it, it > fails to mount floppy d...

Not a valid block device when trying to mount NTFS partition
I've recently switched back to Debian after having using Fedora Core 2 for a while. I have Debian (testing) installed on a second hard drive in my PC, with a working Windows XP installation on my first hard drive. Under Debian, I cannot mount the NTFS partition at all; Fedora never had a problem with it. Here is my FSTAB entry: /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs defaults,ro,user,umask=222 0 0 When I try to mount it (even as root), I get the following message: mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device I know that the drive works, because I can boot into Windows without a problem from GRUB. Debian's kernel ships with NTFS support as a module, which I have verified as being loaded. Does anyone have any advice for me? Any help is appreciated. Regards, Jonathan ...

mounting eeprom device as file system block device ?
Hi Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as a disk device ? I currently have eeprom access in userspace but i would like to have a driver so from user point of view it behaves like a disk (mountable ) drive Any hints ? Regards Johan i am talking about small serial eeprom devices (64K bit) "Sagaert Johan" <sagaert.j AT belgacom.net> wrote in message news:433280c8$0$18366$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi > > Is there anything available in sourcecode so i can mount an serial eeprom as > a disk device ? ...

not a valid block device
Apparently it only works every OTHER day. I got help with this Lexar SmartMedia card reader and Redhat 8.0. Some days, it works fine, other days, it complains that it's not a valid block device. The output of dmesg is below. Do you see anything in there that gives a clue? I can plug the camera in with its own USB cable and use gphoto2 to retrieve the files, so there's nothing wrong with the card. [root@crisium mnt]# mount /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device [root@crisium mnt]# /etc/fstab contains: /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat no...

IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux: I/O benchmark of RAW DEVICES vs BLOCK DEVICES vs COOKED FILES
Hello there, this is a long message (sorry in advance) which contains some hopefully interesting information. There are also some questions at the end. I have this nice new Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 machine, it's an HP DL 385 with 8 internal 10K RPM SAS disks, 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs and 4 GB RAM. Machine features 256 Mb of cache on the disks controller. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/p6k6y I have installed Informix Dynamic Server 10.00.FC4 (64 bit). I bumped into this IBM article: http://tinyurl.com/gfovb, where it says that Informix IDS 10 on RHEL4 Linux is able to...

Uncovering Linux Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Linux Devices Vulnerable, nearly 900 million Linux devices
The Bluebox Security research team - Bluebox Labs - recently discovered a vulnerability in Linux Android's security model that allows a hacker to modify APK code without breaking an application's cryptographic signature, to turn any legitimate application into a malicious Trojan, completely unnoticed by the app store, the phone, or the end user. The implications are huge! This vulnerability, around at least since the release of Android 1.6 (codename: "Donut" ), could affect any Android phone released in the last 4 years1 - or nearly 900 million Linux devices2- a...

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

NAS device uses linux os
To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,al I've got a couple of these adstech NAS-806-EF and I believe they use a stripped down linux os for the ARM processor. Anyone familiar with these? I'm wondering if a more capable version of linux could be installed in them. It would be nice to be able to SSH into it, as it is now, the only interface is a web page for configuration and samba for file transfers. And the samba implementation in them is a little flaky requiring them to be power cycled after any kind of lengthy transfer. But, they do the job... Eric --- * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- ...

mount: /dev/sda1: unknown device
I have been using flash drives with my laptop for some time. I attached one last night and used it. Then I unmounted it. Then I mounted it again and got the error message in the subject line. Here is what /etc/fstab says: LABEL=/ / ext2 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext2 defaults 1 2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0...

[News] Making Linux More Like OS X and OS X More Like Linux
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Mac OS X - Highly Customized Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Few players in the Linux arena creates their Linux distro to look like Mac OS | X or Windows.... | | Here I'm going to list some distro which looks like Mac OS. `---- http://linuxtreat.blogspot.com/2008/07/mac-os-x-highly-customized-linux.html A Linux User's Guide to Mac ,----[ Quote ] | Take a deep breath and repeat after me: A computer is just a tool. It is only | so good as it serves to make life better for users. A "better" life is | obviously not the same thing fo...

mount point has gone, device is mounted, can't umount device
Hi All, How stuffed am I? su-2.04# df -m Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12589 58% /usr/MS procfs 0 0 0 100% /proc /dev/da4s1e 1007 39 887 4% /mnt/rt su-2.04# cd /mnt/rt su: cd: /...

HOW-TO setup block devices with O_DIRECT on RHEL5
I was looking for the information on how setup and use Informix block devices on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, since that OS version discontinues raw devices. I have found no document that entirely fulfilled my needs, so I've investigated by myself and figured out the solution. Since it can be of interest for others as well, I am posting my findings here - hope it can be useful. Background - what are raw devices and block devices? * RAW DEVICE (or CHARACTER DEVICE) = devices through which data is transmitted one character at a time, using unbuffered input and output routines;...

[News] [Linux] Linux USB Device Experience Better Than Windows USB Device Experience
Another Ubuntu Win: USB Devices ,----[ Quote ] | I had a similar experience with my Canon camera. It's so weird that | Windows is trying to make it easy with all of it's autodetecting USB | devices and searching for drivers, but then it just fails. Ubuntu | just works. `---- http://www.leonatkinson.com/index.php/another-ubuntu-win-usb-devices/ Related: Ubuntu and wireless - now better than Windows! ,----[ Quote ] | For years, Linux has had a reputation of being notoriously bad for | wireless access, whether through access points, ad-hoc, whatever. | But the new KWirelessNetwork...

Web resources about - mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device - comp.os.linux.setup

Resources last updated: 2/20/2016 6:56:25 AM