mounting digital camera as block device? (kernel 2.6)

OK, this is driving me nuts! :)

What do I need to compile into a 2.6 kernel in order to be able to mount a
digital camera (Canon Powershot G5) as a block device?

So far attempts to build anything that'll give me a SCSI device to mount
have met with no success - however I *can* access the camera fine
using Gphoto2.

My system's using a SCSI controller already - possibly some sort of
conflict?

Anyway, I've built a kernel with the following (and various combinations
thereof):

Automatic kernel module loading
SCSI generic support
SCSI disk support
IDE support (even though I have no IDE devices)
SCSI emulation support (for IDE)
USB device filesystem
EHCI HCD
UHCI HCD
USB mass storage support
FAT & VFAT support

.... but whilst according to dmesg the USB system's found the camera (and
hotplug's happy to report it under /proc/bus/usb/...) I don't get any
/dev/sdx device that corresponds to the camera, and nor is the camera
showing up according to anything under /proc/scsi/...

I've tried forcing loading of usb_storage.ko, ide-scsi.ko etc. with no
luck (and disabling hotplug completely)

Any pointers? Maybe my assumption that all digital cameras can be accessed
as block devices is wrong? (Although I'm sure I've had this working a year
or so ago).

So far I've tried kernel 2.6.11.7 and 2.6.12.2

cheers

Jules

0
Jules
7/5/2005 11:17:08 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:17:08 +0000, Jules wrote:

> ) as a block device?

I setup my fstab file to mount my USB camera like this.

/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera             vfat
noauto,sync,nosuid,user,unhide 0 0

The /dev/sda1 is my block device and I always thought that sda stood
for the scsi device, I.E It treats the usb as a scsi. I've found
this with cdrecord to, where you use the scanbus option for DVD/CD
burners connected to a USB (but thats on sun).

Also, I setup my auto.misc like this so the automounter picks it up.
camera          -fstype=vfat,rw,nosuid,nodev    :/dev/sda1

I'm using a 2.4 kernel but I cant imagine it would be different.
I just plug in my camera and an icon appears on the screen that
its mounted. I didnt really do anything with the kernel, and never
even thought of doing what you have.

Sorry if this doesnt help
dogdog

0
dogdog
7/10/2005 3:31:08 PM
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:31:08 +0000, dogdog wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:17:08 +0000, Jules wrote:
>
>> ) as a block device?
>
> I setup my fstab file to mount my USB camera like this.
>
> /dev/sda1               /mnt/camera             vfat
> noauto,sync,nosuid,user,unhide 0 0
>
> The /dev/sda1 is my block device and I always thought that sda stood
> for the scsi device, I.E It treats the usb as a scsi.

Yep, that's what all the bits of info out there say should work. I'm just
not getting any extra SCSI device automagically appearing for the
camera device - just the SCSI devices corresponding to the SCSI
hardware hooked up to the pair of Adaptec boards I have in the
machine.

It looks like either something's broken in 2.6, or there's some new
module that needs to be loaded for it to work which doesn't seem to be
documented anywhere :-(

I've borrowed a USB Compact-flash reader from someone so I'll give
that a go and at least rule out that it's not a problem with Linux
talking 'raw' to the camera...

cheers

Jules

0
Jules
7/10/2005 5:10:39 PM
In comp.os.linux.setup, Jules uttered the immortal words:

> Well the USB reader worked fine! So it appears that for some reason Linux
> can't talk to my camera as a raw block device, yet it's perfectly able to
> do so via Gphoto2. Strange, but at least I've recovered the deleted data
> I wanted so I'm not likely to need to go through this again in a hurry!

It's not that strange at all. Not all cameras are USB storage devices. My
Kodak, for example, works perfectly with gphoto2 but isn't a USB storage
device and even needs a driver to work with Windows.

--
Andy.
0
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:10:39 +0000, Jules wrote:
> I've borrowed a USB Compact-flash reader from someone so I'll give
> that a go and at least rule out that it's not a problem with Linux
> talking 'raw' to the camera...

Well the USB reader worked fine! So it appears that for some reason Linux
can't talk to my camera as a raw block device, yet it's perfectly able to
do so via Gphoto2. Strange, but at least I've recovered the deleted data
I wanted so I'm not likely to need to go through this again in a hurry!

cheers

Jules

0
Jules
7/13/2005 12:51:13 PM
In comp.os.linux.setup Andy Fraser <andyfraser31@hotmail.com>:
> In comp.os.linux.setup, Jules uttered the immortal words:

>> Well the USB reader worked fine! So it appears that for some reason Linux
>> can't talk to my camera as a raw block device, yet it's perfectly able to
>> do so via Gphoto2. Strange, but at least I've recovered the deleted data
>> I wanted so I'm not likely to need to go through this again in a hurry!

> It's not that strange at all. Not all cameras are USB storage devices. My
> Kodak, for example, works perfectly with gphoto2 but isn't a USB storage
> device and even needs a driver to work with Windows.

Ops, was lucky then, thought any cam would just be some USB
mass-storage device. Mine (Nikon) works fine, even if I usually
prefer to use some USB card reader, which is more comfortable
then fiddling with cable. Tested out gphoto but had not much
usage for it.

#bofh excuse 316: Elves on strike. (Why do they call EMAG
Elf Magic)
0
Michael
7/13/2005 2:59:20 PM
In comp.os.linux.setup, Michael Heiming uttered the immortal words:

>> It's not that strange at all. Not all cameras are USB storage devices. My
>> Kodak, for example, works perfectly with gphoto2 but isn't a USB storage
>> device and even needs a driver to work with Windows.
>
> Ops, was lucky then, thought any cam would just be some USB
> mass-storage device. Mine (Nikon) works fine, even if I usually
> prefer to use some USB card reader, which is more comfortable
> then fiddling with cable. Tested out gphoto but had not much
> usage for it.

The Kodak was the best camera I could get in my price range due to it being
on offer. Before buying it I checked that it would work with gphoto2. If it
had worked as a USB mass storage device that would just be a bonus. Like
you, I usually use a card reader anyway so I might've still bought the
Kodak even if I couldn't access it directly under Linux.

--
Andy.
0
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:17:08 +0000, Jules wrote:

> ) as a block device?

I setup my fstab file to mount my USB camera like this.

/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera             vfat    noauto,sync,nosuid,user,unhide 0 0

The /dev/sda1 is my block device and I always thought that sda stood
for the scsi device, I.E It treats the usb as a scsi. I've found
this with cdrecord to, where you use the scanbus option for DVD/CD
burners connected to a USB (but thats on sun).

Also, I setup my auto.misc like this so the automounter picks it up.
camera          -fstype=vfat,rw,nosuid,nodev    :/dev/sda1

I'm using a 2.4 kernel but I cant imagine it would be different.
I just plug in my camera and an icon appears on the screen that
its mounted. I didnt really do anything with the kernel, and never
even thought of doing what you have.

Sorry if this doesnt help
dogdog

0
dogdog

linux kernel 2.6.3
I am not sure if I am experiencing a silo problem, or a problem with a kernel configuration. I have a couple of sparc machines that I am attempting to build 2.6.3 kernels for. I have gotten one to build now, but I am unable to get it to finish booting. At the bootprompt, I have typed in the name of my image (from silo.conf) with the "-p" argument so I can see the output. The boot process recognizes my kernel image and starts in on the boot process, then ends at: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) I would normally figure I had misconfigured ...

Performance of NFS much lower on Linux kernel 2.6.17 then on Linux kernel 2.6.3?
Maybe somebody can help me with this problem: I export several directories from a Novell server and mount them on a Linux machine to have some remote backup and storage facilities. A few years back I have installed a Mandrake 10.0 box with kernel 2.6.3 and after some tinkering the NFS performance was about 3.5 MByte/s on a 100 Mbps full duplex interface card. The FTP performance to and from that same Mandrake box was about 7 MByte/s. This year I upgraded my hardware and I installed Mandriva 2006 using kernel 2.12.12 on the Linux machine. Using exactly the same mount options I get...

Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.5-1.327: Mount CF Card returns: mount: <device> already mounted or <directory> busy
Hello, I'm Running Fedora Core 2 Test 3. I have a USB CF Card Reader: [root@neo /]# cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/3 Host scsi3: usb-storage Vendor: LEXAR MEDIA Product: CF CARD Serial Number: 1115321335949 Protocol: Transparent SCSI Transport: Bulk Quirks: When I try to mount it, I get the following error message: [root@neo /]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda3 /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda3 already mounted or /mnt/usb busy My /etc/fstab file: usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 Any takers? Thx, Erasmo ...

need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?
Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we are using dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte IP address on LAN side, any chang...

How to mount OTG Device in Linux 2.6
Hi guys, I've worked for implementing OTG features in Intel PXA27x environment with ISP1301. So, I've modified pxa27x_udc.c,pxa27x_ohci.c, and isp1301_omap.c. And now, these drivers are intialized at boot-up time and working together. But, I have no idea how to enable Linux to detect OTG device especially mounting the device. Could I mount the OTG device same to USB device like "mount /dev/sda1 mnt/usb" ? If u have some ideas, please give some hints to me. ...

NTP with linux kernel 2.6.9 vs. kernel 2.4.24
Hi, I got through this mailing list and asked google for several times and still, I found no answer or hint where to look at. So, the basic problem is that I have a couple of linux boxes that need to be synchronized via NTP. Those boxes have all the very same hardware and configuration. Running the kernel 2.4.24 NTP works fine. For various reasons there is the need to run -- at least a few of them -- with kernel 2.6.9 and here it happens. NTP complains. The Log states: ntpd[22804]: frequency error -512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM Using "adjtimex" does not alleviate the pr...

Binding raw devices in Linux kernel 2.6
Hi, I'm trying to port an old program compiled on kernel 2.4, onto kernel 2.6. I've using a Mandriva 2009.1 box as my development PC. I've managed to get the program to build properly once I've gotten the necessary libraries, and it also runs. However, one of the first things that the program does is to bind the raw devices(already set up as separate logical partitions within the drive as /dev/sdaN) to /dev/rawN, in order to access them later directly. To do so, the first thing that it does is to open /dev/rawctl with the following code: [code] if ((master_fd = open("/...

[News] Speech Recognition Software/SDK for Linux (2.2, 2.4, 2.6 Kernel)
Fonix Releases Linux-Supported Automatic Speech Recognition Technology ,----[ Quote ] | "The end result is an SDK with considerably higher rates of speech | recognition and greater usability as a language learning tool." `---- http://in.sys-con.com/read/280838_p.htm ...

[News] Kernel Plans for Linux 2.6.24 and Looking Ahead at 2.6.25
InfiniBand 2.6.24 Merge Plans ,----[ Quote ] | In addition to listing all patches intended for 2.6.24, Roland also listed | two issues that would most likely wait for 2.6.25... `---- http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/InfiniBand_2.6.24_Merge_Plans 2.6.23 should be out very soon. Here's another nice visual example of modern Linux... 7 screenshots of my Desktop with 3D effects ,----[ Quote ] | 7 screenshots of my Desktop featuring 3D effects, plus virtualization of a | second operating system. `---- http://mckooiker.byethost5.com/blog/?p=30 ...

Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount ...2.6.2 #2
Compiled a 2.6.2 kernel, and I can't get itto boot. It always gives me that Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root fs stuff!! I have tried pretyy much all I can and I all Know! Can Anyone help me out. benjaminrtz wrote: > Compiled a 2.6.2 kernel, and I can't get itto boot. It always gives me > that > Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root fs stuff!! I have tried pretyy > much all I can and I all Know! Can Anyone help me out. For your / partition, what type is it? ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc? You _must_ have support for that format compiled into your kernel,...

mounting 8G vfat formatted compact flash in linux 2.6 kernel
Hi Is there any limitation on size of vfat partition that can be mounted in linux? I'm formatting a CF as vfat. Its an 8G CF. I partitioned it with fdisk with following options: 1. delete all paritions 2. create new partition 3. primary 4. partition number 1 5. chose default begin cylinder 6. chose default end cylinder 8. change type of partition 9. 'c' for WIN95 FAT32 10. 'w'rite partition table now i format it as mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/hdc1 when i mount it as mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt/cf I see it only as 1024K blocks in 'df'. ...

"longterm" Kernel 2.6.9, 2.6.18 etc the IE6's of the Linux world!
https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/12/2/388 Linux stable kernel release procedure changes These longterm releases have become very popular for the distros to base their work on, and are getting so popular, people are now asking to do the same thing for almost all of the recent kernels. ...

[News] Kernel Foundation Asks for Feedback; OpenSUSE Developer Rares Aioanei Talks About Linux 2.6.34, 2.6.35

[News] New Linux 2.6.27 (2008.10) RC, 2.6.28 Probably to Include Kernel Mode-Setting

Kernel 2.6.x and "Linux Device Drivers, 2nd Ed."
Is 2.6.x close enough to the book (based on 2.4.x) that I can upgrade while studying the book, or should I wait? I know that before the 2nd edition came out, 2.2.x was too different from 2.0.x to use the 1st edition. In article <wpidnd_vRpKrx1qiRVn-vw@comcast.com>, Doug wrote: > Is 2.6.x close enough to the book (based on 2.4.x) that I can upgrade > while studying the book, or should I wait? I know that before the 2nd You'd better to wait, and use 2.4.x with the book. Or, altenatively, you could read the book together with the article series at LWN: http://lw...

Most suitable DVB card for linux kernel 2.6.xx (Digital TV card)
Hi Guys, What digital TV card (DVB) should I get for Linux (Kernel 2.6.xx)? Anyone tried yet? The card is for Australia 7 Mhz channel spacing but I think the chip set is the deciding factor. Any suggestions? Tony -- ------------------------------------------------------------ I can be contacted here: anthony_w at bigpond dot com (No spam mail here please) ------------------------------------------------------------ ...

[News] The Next Mandriva Reaches Alpha, Two New Linux Kernels (2.6.22.x and 2.6.23.x Released)
Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Alpha 1 Barlia released ,----[ Quote | Kicking off the 2008 Spring development cycle in earnest, the first alpha is | here. This alpha features X.org 7.3, KDE 3.5.8, KDE 4.0 RC2 (in /contrib), | GNOME 2.21, kernel 2.6.24, OpenOffice.org 2.3, new NVIDIA and ATI proprietary | drivers, PulseAudio by default and more. `---- http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/20081Alpha1 Linux 2.6.22.15 ,----[ Quote | We (the -stable team) are announcing the release of the 2.6.22.15 kernel. | It a number of bugfixes and anyone using the 2.6.23 kernel series is | recomm...

broadcomm nic card driver installation on linux 6.2 with 2.2.22 kernel
Dear All, We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. Pls provide us some hints to resolve this issue. We had check the internet for driver no luck-- updated gcc --updated kernel 2.2.24 --no luck while compling (make) we get syntax error Gcc version 3.3.6 Pls request ur help. Sham. On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:24:35 +0100, <shamsingh1@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver > for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. > Pls provide us some hints to resolve this issue. > We had check the internet for driver no luck-- updated gcc --updated > kernel 2.2.24 --no luck while compling (make) we get syntax error > Gcc version 3.3.6 > Pls request ur help. We need details. What is "linux 6.2" ? What distribution? What is the output of lspci? Kernel 2.2.24 ??? Why 2.2 series? (The vendor claims drivers exist for 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6, so it should not be impossible. Yet I guess it is easier to get help with 2.6 series kernels) What syntax error? How do you compile what? (How **and** what) I believe the driver you need is called "tg3". The source code for Linux 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 contain definitions like #define CHIPREV_ID_5752_A0_HW 0x5000 #define CHIPREV_ID_5752_A0 0x6000 #define CHIPREV_ID_57...

broadcomm nic card driver installation on linux 6.2 with 2.2.22 kernel
Dear All, We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. Pls provide us some hints to resolve this issue. We had check the internet for driver no luck-- updated gcc --updated kernel 2.2.24 --no luck while compling (make) we get syntax error Gcc version 3.3.6 Pls request ur help. Sham. On 30 Oct 2005 01:37:41 -0700, shamsingh1@gmail.com <shamsingh1@gmail.com> wrote: > We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver > for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly su...

broadcomm nic card driver installation on linux 6.2 with 2.2.22 kernel
Dear All, We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. Pls provide us some hints to resolve this issue. We had check the internet for driver no luck-- updated gcc --updated kernel 2.2.24 --no luck while compling (make) we get syntax error Gcc version 3.3.6 Pls request ur help. Sham. Hi all ! shamsingh1@gmail.com wrote: > We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver > for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. > Pls provide us some hints to r...

broadcomm nic card driver installation on linux 6.2 with 2.2.22 kernel
Dear All, We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. Pls provide us some hints to resolve this issue. We had check the internet for driver no luck-- updated gcc --updated kernel 2.2.24 --no luck while compling (make) we get syntax error Gcc version 3.3.6 Pls request ur help. Sham. On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:31:48 -0700, shamsingh1 wrote: > Dear All, > We are installing linux 6.2 on HP XW 4300, unable to install the driver > for bcm5752 pci-e nic card kindly suggest how to go about this. > ...

Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0
I have # ntpd --version ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0@1.1161-r and Linux kernel 2.6.19.7 with the Trustix-3.05 distribution. I'm having problems with ntpd gaining a lot of time. Are there log files anywhere? ntpdate works fine. I am using one server in /etc/ntp.conf 0.ca.pool.ntp.org I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly. I recommend you visit: http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known operating system issues" sections. H Harlan Stenn wrote: > I've heard of reports of Lin...

Question about linux kernel module handling in linux 2.6
I have one small question concerning kernel modules. I have an athlon XP, and installed an suse8.2 the kernel is 2.4.20-athlon... I wanted to install the ATI hardware opengl. I saw that ATI was kind enough to give 2.4.20 agpgart module I launched the necessary insmod command, but it failed saying the module is not for this version of linux kernel. I forced the module install (insmod -f) then i saw that some dependencies where not resolved. So my question is : in linux 2.6 will there be a mechanism like a clearly defined API that would allow to install kernel modules ev...

RocketModemII under Linux kernel 2.6.0-test8 #2
I have two RocketModemII 4-modem PCI boards installed in a PC clone running Linux kernel 2.6.0-test8, using the Rocket driver included with the kernel, compiled as a module, as recommended in Comtrol's documentation. I have the latest software from the Comtrol site (v2.04/1800024H.tgz). The rc.rocket script runs on startup, and finds all 8 ports. The firmware is uploaded. The active lines can be opened with minicom, and act like serial lines with modems attached, responding appropriately to the documented AT commands. Normally, I run mgetty to allow tty logins on some of the modem lines. N...

Web resources about - mounting digital camera as block device? (kernel 2.6) - comp.os.linux.setup

Japanese sword mountings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) refers to the ornate mountings of a Japanese sword (e.g. katana ), koshirae are used when the sword blade is being worn by its owner, whereas ...

Mounting bills Project 365(2) Day 142 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
We are starting to see daylight now. Just one room left where we don't think there will be any paperwork - mainly clothes. This pile came out ...

Palestinian teenager shot amid mounting anger over Israeli hunt for missing youths in West Bank - The ...
14-year-old shot dead in clashes near Hebron and two other Palestinians wounded as Israeli troops continue raids to find three missing teenagers. ...

Britain spooked by mounting child abuse cover-up evidence
A toxic mix of misuse of power and official silence has become Britain's shame as the country faces up to a growing web of evidence that the ...

Tensions mounting between firefighters and the Andrews government
An internal fire brigade hearing for a senior firefighter allegedly caught with porn and racist material on his work computer has highlighted ...

Shipwreck timbers add to mounting evidence that explorers visited New Zealand, Australia, much earlier ...
TIMBERS from a shipwreck in New Zealand have been dated to some 70 years before Captain Cook and is just the latest in a string of finds showing ...

Iraq PM under mounting fire
Iraq's PM is facing mounting criticism for his Shia-led govt's failure to do more to woo the Sunni minority

Crystal clear: car wash magnate faces mounting legal problems
ANTHONY SAHADE, the millionaire businessman dubbed Sydney's car wash king, says he is not the type to throw punches. But he now appears to be ...

Iraq PM under mounting fire
Sydney Morning Herald Iraq PM under mounting fire Sydney Morning Herald Iraq's leader is facing mounting criticism for his Shi'ite-led government's ...

Alleged assault in Flemington mounting yard: Spring Carnival turns ugly
The VRC Oaks Day meeting at Flemington was marred by an ugly mounting yard incident when a strapper was allegedly assaulted by a stablehand. ...