Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k

Hi
I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
computer in order to learn better about Linux.

My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
"man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
screen.
I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:

1. Cygwin environment using SSH
2. telnet from cmd.exe

If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
following after NAME:

bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell

If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
get the following:

bash �^' GNU Bourne�??Again SHell

If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
following:

bash ?�� GNU Bourne?��Again SHell

And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
between.

I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
escape sequence character. My question is the following.

1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0

2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to properly
interpret such an input?

3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
properly interpret sush an input?

thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide me
with.

Javier

0
Pepebuho
6/25/2003 9:13:56 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

what is windows ?

"Pepebuho" <p1e2p3e4b5u6h7o8@pananet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
> computer in order to learn better about Linux.
>
> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
> "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
> screen.
> I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:
>
> 1. Cygwin environment using SSH
> 2. telnet from cmd.exe
>
> If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
> following after NAME:
>
> bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell
>
> If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
> get the following:
>
> bash �^' GNU Bourne�??Again SHell
>
> If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
> following:
>
> bash ?�� GNU Bourne?��Again SHell
>

> And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
> between.
>

> I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
> escape sequence character. My question is the following.
>
> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
> including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
> connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0
>
> 2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to
properly
> interpret such an input?
>
> 3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
> properly interpret sush an input?
>
> thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide
me
> with.
>
> Javier

0
Tmio
2/4/2005 10:13:20 AM
Tmio Makinen wrote:

> what is windows ?

... you should know Mr Top-poster.

> "Pepebuho" <p1e2p3e4b5u6h7o8@pananet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
>> computer in order to learn better about Linux.

good good

>> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and
>> execute "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters
>> on the screen.

>> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the
>> output, including what type of escape character they are using when
>> somebody connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0

/usr/lib/man.conf controls how man pages are rendered (look for the lines on
groff/troff), but it would probably be easier to get a different SSH client
for Windows - putty (which is free) would be a good try.

Also, if you're just after a one-line description of what a command does,
you might like to investigate apropos or whatis.

Cheers,

Pete

0
pete

Linux, Linux, Linux

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machin...

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Breaking Linux Myths; Bluetooth Setup Easier in Linux Than in Windows
Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths ,----[ Quote ] | When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows | or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must | be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult | to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation, | or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the | misconceptions. `---- http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php Bluetooth on Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise ,----[ Quote ] | Windows XP | | 1. Pop in the driver CD of the dongle. Install the dri...

very strange display problem with PC Linux OS!!!!!!
I just bought a new computer, custom built. Had it set up with dual boot PC Linux/Windows. Default boot is Linux. When I boot to Linux, everything looks great and I see the splash screen and the progress bar telling me it's loading. But, after it's loaded, and I'm waiting for the login prompt, my display goes blank, and stays blank (black.) On my LCD, I get a message box moving around that says "frequency out of range." It was running at 60hz so I set it to 75hz...same problem. Hooked up an old NEC CRT monitor, screen still goes black, but no message is displayed....

I have a problem displaying a GIF image in windows BUT not in linux!!!
All the images I am displaying are GIF. Some of the images appear distorted and cropped when displayed. However, others are displayed perfectely. All the images appear normal in linux. Perhaps it's a problem with a driver? Here is the code I use with the frame widget ($FileList[$i] is an array of gif names): $frame=$ChapterFrame->Frame(-relief=>'groove',-borderwidth=>2)->pack; $img = $frame->Photo(-file=> $FileList[$i]); $frame->Label(-image => $img)->pack; On 10 Feb 2005 21:43:21 -0800, "PhoneJack" <martoa@alum.rpi.edu> wr...

Linux performance problems blamed for why OpenOffice performs MUCH BETTER on Windows than Linux
<quote> "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still performing much better on Windows than it does on Linux, it seems more likely to us that the performance problems seen above are less Mozilla's fault and more down to general performance issues on Linux. </quote> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/linux-loses-to-windows-in-firefox-benchmarks-528536 Ezekiel wrote: > > <quote> > > "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still > performing much better on Windo...

[News] [Linux] More Games on Linux (Even DoFuS), Linux Applications on Windows
Linux gaming, part four: massive multiplayer online games ,----[ Quote ] | Dofus as an online game with fun graphics and a huge player community, it | has over three million players. The website of the game says it’s | half-way between a tactical video game and an interactive cartoon. `---- http://kahvipapu.com/blog/2007/06/26/linux-gaming-part-four-massive-multiplayer-online-games/ Linux on Windows with Lina ,----[ Quote ] | Building off a concept similar to Java, LINA aims to provide open-source | developers the ability to compile applications that will run on all of | Windows, MacOS...

Linux to Linux Fileshare Problem
I have two old desktops both running Ubuntu Linux, I also have an XP laptop all working behind a draytek 2600 router. Samba is set up on both Linux machines, my XP machine can access both Linux machines and both Linux machines can access the XP laptop. Problem is neither Linux machine can view the other's files. If from either Linux machine I connect to the network it shows the other Linux machine, clicking on the networked Linux machine it then lists the shared directories but if I click on the directories a window opens requesting a username, domain and password. The username sh...

[News] GNU/Linux Saves Windows Captives from Inherent Problems, PGP Adds Linux

installation problems for multiple windows OS and Linux on same machine
My goal is to have Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Linux 9 on the same machine. Initially, I already have Windows 2000 and Windows XP installed, and every time the machine boots, it launch OS choices menu and everything was fine. However, after I installed Linux 9, OS choices menu has changed and it only shows Linux and DOS in the menu, I think that is the OS choices menu from Linux. When I click DOS, it will launch Windows 2000, and I couldn't select Windows XP anymore. Windows XP is still in the computer, but it just doesn't show in OS choices menu anymore. 3 different OS are located in 3 separated partitions. It should be 1 OS per partition? Both Windows 2000 and Linux 9 are installed as primary partition, and Windows XP is installed as logical partition. Does physical or logical partition matters on the OS booting selection? Any ideas? Any workarounds to this problem? Please advise. Thanks!! Dear Matt, why don't you use your time to make some good search, read some stuff and then come here to make a specific and well made question? If you don't know where to start looking for documentation here some advice: http://www.tldp.org/ http://www.google.com/ > (...), and Linux 9 There is no 'Linux 9'. -- JVDM @ SUPER DIMENSION FORTRESS 1. Red Hat is a distribution of Linux, there are other distributions. 2. To solve your boot problem you first need to find out whether your using Lilo or Grub, then look up the ...

[News] [Linux] New User Very Impressed with Linux and Linux Gaming (Not So with Windows Vista)
Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS] ,----[ Quote ] | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with | unresolved dependencies. | | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's | completely free and very entertainin...

[News] Linux, Unlike Windows, Runs Both Linux and Windows Programs

Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 The message is in the video. That means play the stupid thing, People! On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote: > Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 > > The message is in the video. > > That means play the stupid thing, People! lol ! What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications. What he fails to mention is out of the b...

Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security
Read it and weep, Linux losers. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005 attacks. A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 +0000, Dr Alw is a loser wrote: > Read it and weep, Linux lose...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

Access/setup problems for Samba-Server in Linux<->Windows LAN
I read some manuals for Samba but still need some help. Assume the following situation: (Suse) Linux computer with fixed IP 192.168.1.30 is connected to WinXP computer with fixed IP 192.168.1.70. Both computer can ping each other. WinXP computer has a shared folder called "D:\data\exchange" with the share name "exc". It can be seen when entering smbclient -L 192.168.1.70 at the Linux console. On the Linux system the samba server is already running (started with smb start). Now I want a) to access from WinXP computer the Linux folder "/export/home/myname/shr...

Web resources about - Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k - comp.os.linux.setup

List of birds displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This list includes birds for which there is documented evidence of homosexual or transgender behavior of one or more of the following kinds: ...

Facebook Displaying Page Insights On Page Admins’ Personal Pages?
Some Facebook page administrators are seeing modules on their personal pages displaying page insights ad, campaign , and like totals for pages ...

Facebook Displaying Unread Messages from Pages in a New Updates Module
Facebook is displaying a new “Updates” sidebar module which shows some users unread messages sent to them by Pages. Users will see the Updates ...

Don Lemon Holds Up Sign Displaying the N-Word, Uncensored, on Air CNN Live - YouTube
Don Lemon Holds Up Sign Displaying the N-Word, Uncensored, on Air Lemon held up a Confederate flag first before holding up the sign. He asked, ...

Hazelwood coal mine fire: Morwell residents displaying symptoms similar to cigarette smokers, expert ...
An expert says some locals near Victoria's Hazelwood mine fire have symptoms similar to cigarette smokers.

Police accused of displaying fake G20 weapons
Toronto's top police officer misled the public by displaying fake weapons used in a medieval-themed role-playing game to help justify their actions ...

Displaying calorie labels at fast-food restaurants doesn't appear to work: study
While the high calorie counts of artery-clogging fast foods are often printed right in front of our eyes, most people ignore them and go ahead ...

Jays' Escobar suspended three games for displaying slur
Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar has been suspended three games for displaying a homophobic slur on his eye-black during a game on Saturday. ...

Google Play Store now displaying age-based ratings
We reported back in May that Google was adding age-based ratings to all apps in the Play Store as determined by the International Age Rating ...

Google begins displaying “Listen Now” ads for streaming music services (including Beats) in search results ...
... , Streaming Music Continue reading more about Apps , Google , and Spotify at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Google begins displaying ...