Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k

Hi
I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
computer in order to learn better about Linux.

My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
"man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
screen.
I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:

1. Cygwin environment using SSH
2. telnet from cmd.exe

If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
following after NAME:

bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell

If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
get the following:

bash �^' GNU Bourne�??Again SHell

If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
following:

bash ?�� GNU Bourne?��Again SHell

And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
between.

I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
escape sequence character. My question is the following.

1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0

2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to properly
interpret such an input?

3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
properly interpret sush an input?

thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide me
with.

Javier

0
Pepebuho
6/25/2003 9:13:56 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

what is windows ?

"Pepebuho" <p1e2p3e4b5u6h7o8@pananet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
> computer in order to learn better about Linux.
>
> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
> "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
> screen.
> I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:
>
> 1. Cygwin environment using SSH
> 2. telnet from cmd.exe
>
> If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
> following after NAME:
>
> bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell
>
> If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
> get the following:
>
> bash �^' GNU Bourne�??Again SHell
>
> If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
> following:
>
> bash ?�� GNU Bourne?��Again SHell
>

> And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
> between.
>

> I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
> escape sequence character. My question is the following.
>
> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
> including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
> connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0
>
> 2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to
properly
> interpret such an input?
>
> 3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
> properly interpret sush an input?
>
> thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide
me
> with.
>
> Javier

0
Tmio
2/4/2005 10:13:20 AM
Tmio Makinen wrote:

> what is windows ?

... you should know Mr Top-poster.

> "Pepebuho" <p1e2p3e4b5u6h7o8@pananet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
>> computer in order to learn better about Linux.

good good

>> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and
>> execute "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters
>> on the screen.

>> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the
>> output, including what type of escape character they are using when
>> somebody connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0

/usr/lib/man.conf controls how man pages are rendered (look for the lines on
groff/troff), but it would probably be easier to get a different SSH client
for Windows - putty (which is free) would be a good try.

Also, if you're just after a one-line description of what a command does,
you might like to investigate apropos or whatis.

Cheers,

Pete

0
pete