problem w/ Pink Tie 10 on home-built K6-2 550 system

I have a home-built desktop computer which runs both Windows XP Home
Edition and Red Hat 7.3.

Recently, I tried to install a copy CheapBytes Pink Tie 10 on this
machine, directing the installer to reformat my existing ext3 partitions
and install from scratch.

The installer fails between the root password specification and the
package selection steps.  The exact wording of the error message is:

| You are trying to install on a machine which isn 't supported by this
| release of Pink Tie Linux

This error occurs under both graphical and text-based installs.  If I drop
down to the tty where the installer log is written, I don't see any error
messages that would suggest why the install failed.

I did note that earlier in the installation, Disk Druid complains about
being unable to align partitions.  This seems odd since the original
partiton table was generated by the Linux fdisk, using cylinder input
values.  The partition tables from fdisk are given further on down in the
Additional Notes section of this post.  Moreover, I saw no such error
messages with the Red Hat 7.3 install.

If anyone has any insights on why the install might be failing or some
advice on what additional diagnostics could be performed, please feel free
to let me now.

Thanks in advance.

System Configuration

Base System

Motherboard: FIC PA-2013 (VIA MVP3 chipset)
CPU: AMD K6-2 550
Memory: 384 MB (3 x 128 MB) PC133 SDRAM

Display: Video Excel AG 211 AGP card (Trident Blade 3D)
Monitor: Dell 1025 HT monitor

PCI Cards

ATA Controller: Koutech 571-A ATA/100 (CMD 649)
Sound: Labway PCI Sound card (Yamaha YMF-724)
Network: ASound 10/100 Ethernet card (Realtek 8139b)
FireWire: SIIG 1394 3-port PCI/IO card (VIA chipset)

Storage

Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar WD400AB 40 GB hard drive
Hard Disk: Maxtor Diamond Max 4320 13 GB hard drive
Optical Drive: Asus 40x ATAPI CD-ROM
Optical Drive: HP 9100i ATAPI 8x4x24 CD-RW
Zip Drive: iOmega Zip 100 Insider ATAPI drive

Additional Notes

Hard drives are both jumpered as Master.  Each drive occupies an its own
interface on the PCI controller card.  Linux identifes these as devices
/dev/hde and /dev/hdg as expected.

Here is the output for fdisk on /dev/hde and /dev/hdg:

Disk /dev/hde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1             1         2     16033+  83  Linux
/dev/hde2   *         3      1419  11382052+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hde3          1420      4865  27679995    5  Extended
/dev/hde5          1420      2363   7582648+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hde6          2364      2422    473886    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hde7          2423      3839  11382021   83  Linux
/dev/hde8          3840      4784   7590681   83  Linux
/dev/hde9          4785      4817    265041   83  Linux
/dev/hde10         4818      4865    385528+  82  Linux swap

Disk /dev/hdg: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 6312 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdg1             1      6313  12725464+   5  Extended
/dev/hdg5             1      4419   8907979+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdg6          4419      6313   3817264+  83  Linux

The CD-ROM and CD-RW share the motherboard's primary IDE interface,
jumpered as master and slave respectively.  The Zip 100 is jumpered as
master on the secondary interface.  Linux identifies the CD-ROM and CD-RW
as /dev/hda and /dev/scd0 (ide-scsi) respectively.

- --
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh@wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, P.J. Hinton wrote:

> I have a home-built desktop computer which runs both Windows XP Home
> Edition and Red Hat 7.3.
>
> Recently, I tried to install a copy CheapBytes Pink Tie 10 on this
> machine, directing the installer to reformat my existing ext3 partitions
> and install from scratch.
>
> The installer fails between the root password specification and the
> package selection steps.  The exact wording of the error message is:
>
> | You are trying to install on a machine which isn 't supported by this
> | release of Pink Tie Linux

<snip!>

I think I may have found the answer to my own question.  Pink Tie 10 is a
distribution built off of the SRPMS of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 WS,
and according to this page:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration/

If we look at the comments for CPU support for the x86 version, we read:

	AMD K6 (i586) is not supported

Moreover, the kernel RPMs for Pink Tie 10 are i686 optimzed.  There is an
i386 kernel provided for booting the installer, but there is nothing for
an i586 or something more generic.

Looks like I'm terminally hosed when it comes to upgrading a Red Hat
distribution on this machine.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh@wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.

Built Xemacs 21.4.21 on OS X 10.5.2 : 2 problems
I just got a new macbook, installed gcc from the included CD, and downloaded and built Xemacs 21.4.21 according to the instructions on the www.xemcs.org web site. I'm a bit new to all this (a long-time c-unix programmer, though), so there are still some unresolved problems. 1) the executable ended up in /usr/src/xemacs-21.4.21/src . Is this really the right location? 2) The program does run, and gives me a mostly functional Xemacs (without most of the packages yet), but I can only run it from an xterm from the command-line. And when I run it, I don't get any icon in ...

OS X 10.2.3 to 10.2.8 Install Problems
I recently installed the OS 10.2.8 Update Combo onto a Mac G4, which was previously running OS 10.2.3. After installing the Update Combo, I can't view anything on the computer?!?!?!? I tried rebooting the computer several times, but the computer just goes to a blank desktop window. No menu commands and desktop items are viewable. I restarted the computer holding down the X key and rebooting from a system disk, but nothing. I tried reinstalling the system, but the hard drive isn't present when trying to select a drive to install the system onto. I was able to run disk repair, but ...

Start up problem OS 10.3 and OS 9.2.2 on G4 466
I have two hard drives in my G4 466. the master HD has panther on it and the slave has OS 9.2.2. both HDs seem to work fine when starting up with panther. I want to be able to start up with OS 9.2.2 on the slave. when i set OS 9.2.2 in the system preferences and restart, the computer still starts up in OS 10.3. when I hold the option key down upon startup, the only option I get is OS 10.3 on the master-no option for the second HD. any suggestions on how to get back to OS 9.2.2 start up on the slave drive? thanks for your suggestions in advance! gerry In article <20040126182715.188...

most unusual os x system problem 10.2.x
I have a problem I've never seen before on a Mac. Running OS X 10.2.6 right now but this problems also occurs with other versions of 10.2. I am not able to click and drag icons on my computer's desktop. It is as if there is some kind of system glitch or something. I am not able to select a folder and drag the item anywhere (ie. the dock, another folder on the harddrive, etc.) This is obviously a pain because I can't open items by dragging them and I can't organize my computer as I like. Does anyone have ideas of how to fix this problem? I have already tried to run the ...

Cursor in Mac OS X 10.5.6 w/X11 2.2.3 and 2.3.2
Hi, I know this problem has come up before, but I was unable to find a solution that worked in the group. The problem: cursor,x,y,/down or any variation results in a dead terminal and X-window. Using ctrl- c at the terminal and then clicking on the terminal works: IDL> cursor,x,y,/down,/device % Interrupted at: $MAIN$ IDL> print,x,y 522 105 Using "defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through -bool true" has no effect. Installing the latest version of IDL (7.0.6) also had no effect. The error occurs both with IDL run remotely and locally. I've tried bo...

Problems with Apple System Profiler on OS X 10.2.8
I cannot get the Apple System Profiler to work from the "About this Mac" dialog or from the standalone app. The app launches and appears in the dock momentarily (arrow flashing) and then quits. No menu bar or profile display window appear. I have all latest 10.2.8 updates and have run permissions fixer. There is reference to this problem with system revisions earlier than 10.2.4 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107339) but not in 10.2.8. Has anyone seen this problem ? -- Regards, Art In article <m4ymd.346717$wV.94486@attbi_s54>, Art <me@nowhwere.com...

Problems with Apple System Profiler OS X 10.2.8
I cannot get the Apple System Profiler (v3.0.1) to work. It quits a few seconds after launching. The console log shows: dyld: /Applications/Utilities/Apple System Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple System Profiler malformed library: /Applications/Utilities/Apple System Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/ASPSupport.framework/Versions/A/ASPSupport (not a Mach-O file, bad magic number) Nov 26 17:05:15 Arts-G3-Computer crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/art/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Apple System Profiler.crash.log Nov 26 17:05:20 Arts-G3-Computer crashdump: Crash report wri...

WxMac 2.4.2, Mac OS 10.3.2 (Panther) compile problem
I have been trying to compile wxMac 2.4.2 for several days now under OS X 10.3.2 (Panther.) Configuring goes okay, but when I try to compile it, I get the following errors: src/mac/dc.cpp:1259: error: parse error before `<<' token src/mac/dc.cpp:1263: error: parse error before `short' make: *** [dc.o] Error 1 Is there something I should be aware of? Thanks, Damon Campagna --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxw...

reinstall of OS 10.2
I'm reinstalling my operating systems. Does it matter whether I install OS X or 9.2.2 first? Is there a certain order that they should be installed in? Thanks. -- TLD TLD <TLD2@tld.tld.invalid> wrote: > I'm reinstalling my operating systems. Does it matter whether I install > OS X or 9.2.2 first? Is there a certain order that they should be > installed in? Thanks. It makes no difference. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart ...

Problems with Perl 5.10 on Mac OS 10.5.2
This is a heads-up for Mac Perl users. Yesterday I took the plunge and downloaded the Perl 5.10.0 source and built it on my Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.2. I used all of the default configuration parameters, except building for threads, for which I said "yes". The build went OK, but 'make test' had one error in lib/locale.t, something about a missing locale for test 99, which appears to be the "C" locale. I went ahead and did the install, anyway, since I am not too concerned about locales. Everything looked fine, and I was able to update a CPAN module that wasn...

Fix Options for Big Problems w/OS X 10.4.10?
Greets, Running Mac OS X 10.4.10. I'm having a pretty wide assortment of problems lately ranging from (a) iChat repeatedly asking if I want my password stored on my keychain but it still continues to ask, (b) downloaded dmg files won't mount (invalid checksum), (c) downloaded mov files won't open (sometimes they opened previously but now won't), (d) programs force me to go through setup every time I run them, (e) MP3 files seem to be bleeding into each other (one discrete file will wind up with two different songs in it), (f) iTunes Library corrupts about once every other day...

Eudora 5.2.1 weirdness w / OS X 10.3.2
I get the regular Evil Beach Ball in Eudora, now that I've installed 10.3.2. I last had 10.2.8, and this Eudora worked fine w/ that version of OS X. I find it always hard to tell if Eudora has been updated for a new OS release, as its developers, IMHO, simply "update" Eudora to keep a regular income stream coming, regardless of the previous rev's compatibility. Does anyone else see this or similar issue with Eudora under 10.3.x? Thanks, -- DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:41:22 -0800, DaveC...

Problems installing 10.2.0.2 patchset to a 10.2.0.1 database
I am trying to install the latest patchset to my 10gR2 database. When i double click on setup.exe nothing visable happens. The process is launched and according to Windows Task manager is taking up 50% of my CPU. The process just sits there spinning away and nothing happens. I have shutdown, using Service Control Manager, all Oracle services including databases, listeners and DBConsoles Any ideas? <kevin.aide@intergraph.com> schreef in bericht news:1159977988.501508.164590@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to install the latest patchset to my 10gR2 database. When ...

Link Errors in CW 9.6 under OS 10.4.2 w/ XCode 2
I just upgraded to CW 9.6 and Xcode 2, now I am getting a pair of linker errors with an older project (don't recall what version of 9 however): Link Error : undefined: 'std::codecvt::codecvt(unsigned long)' (code) Referenced from 'const std::codecvt& std::__use_facet >(const std::locale&, std::__chooser<(__bool8)1>)' in FEManagerT_THK.cpp Link Error : undefined: 'std::codecvt::id' (non lazy ptr IL) Referenced from 'const std::codecvt& std::__use_facet >(const std::locale&, std::__chooser<(__bool8)1>)' in FEManage...

Problem with os.system() #2
Hello, I am facing problems while using os.system() of python for copying a file from source to destination where the file name is in unicode (multi lingual characters).My python interpreter is trying to convert them to ascii and is failing. I tried giving unicode string as input for the function something like: c = u"copy "+"\""+full_path+"\" "+dest os.system (c) where the full_path contains filenames with unicode characters(unicode data type). I tried searching in google and came to know that UNICODE support wasn't there for os.system fu...

ZoomView problem in Mac OS X 10.2.x & 10.3.x
Hello Everyone This mail is sent to more groups and mailing lists in different countries, also groups, which normally not uses the English language as the native list language, so - PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS MESSAGE! - but read it carefully and then follow the instructions regarding answering at the buttom of this mail. I have discovered a bug in Mac OS X 10.2.x and up to latest version 10.3.= 8. When you activate the controlpane *ZoomView* for enlargement and put it either in 'Normal mode' - i.e. black text on white background, - or in "Reverse Mode" - i.e. whit...

OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2
Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem. Config.sys has been changed. Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update. Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved things. -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Trouble with a Personal System/2 Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:40:20 -0400 From: <brian@centralindianapatternandmold.com> To: <ohland@charter.net> please help . config.sys got changed os2 ibm indurstial computer-will ...

Ann: ActiveDeveloper 2.16 released for Mac OS X 10.3 10.2 #2
ActiveDeveloper 2.16 released for MacOS X 10.3 and 10.2 Our "Develop & Continue" Objective-C & C IDE and Debugger Your companion for Cocoa, WebKit, and QuickTime. With its "Develop & Continue" ActiveDeveloper takes an Object and Development oriented approach to merging Objective-C Development and Debugging into ONE single combined activity - as opposed to the more Debugging and C stack level oriented approach taken in Xcode. ActiveDeveloper version 2.16 is integrated with the new Xcode IDE similar to how it has worked in concert with Projec...

IDL 7.1, OS X 10.8.2 & XQuartz 2.7.4 problem
Has anyone got IDL 7.1 working properly with Mountain Lion? Mine works OK for plotting & grey scale colormap image display, but for instance: IDL>cursor,x,y,/data does not work (hangs and waits for mouse click) and loadct does not change colormap (whatever number I try, I always get grey scale). No error messages. Any ideas anyone. Upgrading to 8.1 is unfortunately not an option now, maybe later. Cheers, Pasi Pasi Hakala writes: > Has anyone got IDL 7.1 working properly with Mountain Lion? > Mine works OK for plotting & grey scale colormap image disp...

Firewire drive crashes system B&W Encore G4/500 OS 9.2.2
I just bought a Acomdata 120 GB firewire drive and it mounts but every time the computer tries to write to the drive it crashes the whole system. I called Acomdata and they are stumped.. it works fine on my PBG4. I am not getting much info in the apple system profiler other than a couple random number as a firewire vendor driver. I have firewire 2.8.4 was using 2.8.5 but thought going back one might help.. (using Tome) no such luck... any ideas? ...

[News] New GNU/Linux Distros: blackPanther OS 10.1 and Zorin OS 2.0 Released

Linux Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. the Linux "Swiss cheese" OS
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1195-1/ 22 vulnerabilities, nice "patch day", bwahahahahahaaah!, Linux = insecure by design!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux pla...

"ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:GetThreadTimes failed" Causes Instance Crash 10.2.0.2
Just curious to see if anyone has seen this problem before - I could not find anything on Metalink. One of my Oracle instances crashed at 34 seconds past midnight on Saturday - no known jobs run at that time. The server is running Windows 2003 x64, database is Oracle 10.2.0.2. The instance has been extremely stable since put in production in April 2006. The alert log shows this: --------------------------------- Sat Oct 28 00:00:34 2006 Process startup failed, error stack: Sat Oct 28 00:00:34 2006 Errors in file d:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\DB\bdump\vmfg_psp0_2196.trc: ORA-27300: OS system...

problem in wxMac 2.6.2 unicode mach-o build using Codewarrior 8.3 on Mac OS 10.3
Hi, I am getting the following error while compiling wxMac 2.6.2, wxLib Mach-o(debug/release) build with wxUSE_UNICODE flag set to 1 I am using Codewarrior 8.3 on Mac OS 10.3 Error : type mismatch 'wxMBConvUTF16BE' and 'wxMBConv' dobjcmn.cpp line 283 return format == wxDF_UNICODETEXT ? sUTF16Converter : (wxMBConv&) wxConvLocal; Can someone throw some light on this issue and let me know whether it is a wxMac issue or i am making some mistake in setting the flags for unicode build. Any suggestions or workaround will be highly appreciated. The only cha...

Web resources about - problem w/ Pink Tie 10 on home-built K6-2 550 system - comp.os.linux.setup

Home Built High Pressure Air Compressor Overview - YouTube
This unit was made out of surplus HVACR gear and hydraulic lines, it works well for dusing off old TV's and monitors, as well as engine cleaning, ...

Home-built submarines deemed too expensive, too risky
BUILDING a new fleet of submarines in Australia would&nbsp;be too risky and too expensive, the Abbott government has concluded.

Homes built for Peguis First Nation flood victims uninhabitable
Residents of a Manitoba First Nation who were forced out of their homes in 2011 after a devastating flood have returned to find that new houses ...

Homes built in Conn. by free blacks in jeopardy - The Boston Globe
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The oldest remaining houses built by free blacks in Connecticut, considered irreplaceable by national historians, sit boarded ...

Lawler: Characteristics Homes Built in 2014; Construction of “Moderately-Sized” SF Homes Remained Low ...
... most striking statistics for the last few years (including 2014) is the incredibly small number of moderately-sized (and priced) homes built. ...

10 homes built by the earth
See the greenest homes around these impressive abodes were built using soil, sand and straw

Mitt Romney Selling Homes Built After Failed Presidential Bids
Recognizing that having too many pricey homes could be used against him if he pushes through with his planned third presidential bid, Republic ...

Homes built for the families of Coptic Christians martyred by ISIS
A leading US charity is building homes for the families of the 20 young Coptic Christians martyred by Islamic State earlier this year.

Sales of newly built home struggle
Mortgage applications to purchase a new homes dropped dramatically in November, signaling a slowdown for the nation's builders.

Enormous Beach Vacation Home Built On Wrong Lot
... in the wrong place? We wondered that back in June, when sharing the story of a $1.8 million home in Rhode Island that was accidentally built ...