problem w/ Pink Tie 10 on home-built K6-2 550 system

I have a home-built desktop computer which runs both Windows XP Home
Edition and Red Hat 7.3.

Recently, I tried to install a copy CheapBytes Pink Tie 10 on this
machine, directing the installer to reformat my existing ext3 partitions
and install from scratch.

The installer fails between the root password specification and the
package selection steps.  The exact wording of the error message is:

| You are trying to install on a machine which isn 't supported by this
| release of Pink Tie Linux

This error occurs under both graphical and text-based installs.  If I drop
down to the tty where the installer log is written, I don't see any error
messages that would suggest why the install failed.

I did note that earlier in the installation, Disk Druid complains about
being unable to align partitions.  This seems odd since the original
partiton table was generated by the Linux fdisk, using cylinder input
values.  The partition tables from fdisk are given further on down in the
Additional Notes section of this post.  Moreover, I saw no such error
messages with the Red Hat 7.3 install.

If anyone has any insights on why the install might be failing or some
advice on what additional diagnostics could be performed, please feel free
to let me now.

Thanks in advance.

System Configuration

Base System

Motherboard: FIC PA-2013 (VIA MVP3 chipset)
CPU: AMD K6-2 550
Memory: 384 MB (3 x 128 MB) PC133 SDRAM

Display: Video Excel AG 211 AGP card (Trident Blade 3D)
Monitor: Dell 1025 HT monitor

PCI Cards

ATA Controller: Koutech 571-A ATA/100 (CMD 649)
Sound: Labway PCI Sound card (Yamaha YMF-724)
Network: ASound 10/100 Ethernet card (Realtek 8139b)
FireWire: SIIG 1394 3-port PCI/IO card (VIA chipset)

Storage

Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar WD400AB 40 GB hard drive
Hard Disk: Maxtor Diamond Max 4320 13 GB hard drive
Optical Drive: Asus 40x ATAPI CD-ROM
Optical Drive: HP 9100i ATAPI 8x4x24 CD-RW
Zip Drive: iOmega Zip 100 Insider ATAPI drive

Additional Notes

Hard drives are both jumpered as Master.  Each drive occupies an its own
interface on the PCI controller card.  Linux identifes these as devices
/dev/hde and /dev/hdg as expected.

Here is the output for fdisk on /dev/hde and /dev/hdg:

Disk /dev/hde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1             1         2     16033+  83  Linux
/dev/hde2   *         3      1419  11382052+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hde3          1420      4865  27679995    5  Extended
/dev/hde5          1420      2363   7582648+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hde6          2364      2422    473886    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hde7          2423      3839  11382021   83  Linux
/dev/hde8          3840      4784   7590681   83  Linux
/dev/hde9          4785      4817    265041   83  Linux
/dev/hde10         4818      4865    385528+  82  Linux swap

Disk /dev/hdg: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 6312 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdg1             1      6313  12725464+   5  Extended
/dev/hdg5             1      4419   8907979+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdg6          4419      6313   3817264+  83  Linux

The CD-ROM and CD-RW share the motherboard's primary IDE interface,
jumpered as master and slave respectively.  The Zip 100 is jumpered as
master on the secondary interface.  Linux identifies the CD-ROM and CD-RW
as /dev/hda and /dev/scd0 (ide-scsi) respectively.

- --
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh@wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, P.J. Hinton wrote:

> I have a home-built desktop computer which runs both Windows XP Home
> Edition and Red Hat 7.3.
>
> Recently, I tried to install a copy CheapBytes Pink Tie 10 on this
> machine, directing the installer to reformat my existing ext3 partitions
> and install from scratch.
>
> The installer fails between the root password specification and the
> package selection steps.  The exact wording of the error message is:
>
> | You are trying to install on a machine which isn 't supported by this
> | release of Pink Tie Linux

<snip!>

I think I may have found the answer to my own question.  Pink Tie 10 is a
distribution built off of the SRPMS of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 WS,
and according to this page:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration/

If we look at the comments for CPU support for the x86 version, we read:

	AMD K6 (i586) is not supported

Moreover, the kernel RPMs for Pink Tie 10 are i686 optimzed.  There is an
i386 kernel provided for booting the installer, but there is nothing for
an i586 or something more generic.

Looks like I'm terminally hosed when it comes to upgrading a Red Hat
distribution on this machine.