question about USB external flash drive in linux

hi,

I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20

lsmod output:
usb-storage            75200   0
scsi_mod              110936   1  [usb-storage]
ide-cd                 35808   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  34176   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
autofs                 13684   0  (autoclean) (unused)
iptable_filter          2412   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ip_tables              15864   1  [iptable_filter]
tulip                  44544   1
keybdev                 2976   0  (unused)
mousedev                5688   1
hid                    22404   0  (unused)
input                   6208   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-uhci               27468   0  (unused)
usbcore                82816   1  [usb-storage hid usb-uhci]
ext3                   73376   5
jbd                    56336   5  [ext3]

from /var/log/messages

Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.2-1,
assigned address 2
Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod
0x9a6/0x8001) is not claimed by any active driver.
Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for
USB product 9a6/8001/100
Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
usb-storage
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel:   Vendor: NEWMAN    Model: NEWMAN FLASH
DIS  Rev: 1.00
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Sep 17 13:20:53 pn1124 devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted

look into /proc/bus/usb/devices, it's empty.

it looks the module loaded fine, so does the device. but there is no
info about where did it mounted or if it's mouted.

what am i missing?

Qiang
0
shijialee
9/17/2003 7:45:54 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:45:54 -0700, Qiang typed:

> hi,
>
> I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20

<snip>

> what am i missing?

Check that the flash drive is recognized as a scsi drive;

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

As root form the console or xterm session, create the mountpoint;

mkdir /mnt/usb

Then mount the flash drive;

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dev/usb

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice

0
Lenard
9/18/2003 3:37:40 AM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:37:40 GMT, Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:45:54 -0700, Qiang typed:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20
>
><snip>
>
>> what am i missing?
>
>Check that the flash drive is recognized as a scsi drive;
>
>cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>
>As root form the console or xterm session, create the mountpoint;
>
>mkdir /mnt/usb
>
>Then mount the flash drive;
>
>mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dev/usb

Much easier to add an entry to your updfstab.conf.default file.
Then you plug it in it automatically creates amount point
at /mnt/<something> where <something> is normally flash.
You then just do mount /mnt/flash.
When the device is removed the /mnt/flash dissapears.
When you plug it in, it again appears after a couple of seconds.
This works on RH9, I am not sure whether this is available
under RH8.
To get the device name that the updfstab should look for,
use the cat/proc/scsi/scsi as above.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

0
Anton

Linux, Linux, Linux

external USB drive with i686 linux and Mac OS X.
Hi, all, How can I partition and format an external USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, 1/3 FAT 32 ? Paul On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > How can I partition and format an external > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, > 1/3 FAT 32 ? fdisk and mkfs? -- -John (john@os2.dhs.org) John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message news:<slrncc77ss.9af.john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org>... > On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > > > How can I partition and format an external > > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, > > 1/3 FAT 32 ? > > fdisk and mkfs? mkfs cannot format HFS+. If I partitition with fdisk, MAC OSX 10.2.8 cannot format the resulting disk either. On 2004-06-07, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message news:<slrncc77ss.9af.john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org>... >> On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: >> >> > How can I partition and format an external >> > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, >> > 1/3 FAT 32 ? >> >> fdisk and mkfs? > mkfs cannot format HFS+. If I partitition with fdisk, > MAC OSX 10.2.8 cannot format the resulting disk either. Would this help? http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplu...

Linux on Flash Drive question....
I'd like to be able to install a Linux Distro to a USB Flash drive and have the following capabilities... 1) the ability to boot from the USB drive 2) the ability to run from within Windows 2000, 2003, XP and Vista (like a virtual machine) without rebooting to enter or leave Linux). 3) this should be a persistent install (for example, when running Linux from my USB flash drive, I should be able to install an application or change the wallpaper or save a document and those changes should be there the next time I boot up my Linux USB flash drive installation) I have found some instruc...

USB Flash Drive and Linux
Hi Whats the best linux distro that you can install onto a usb flash drive? I have tryed flash linux but I cant get it to boot. Thanks Robert Robert Cook wrote: > Hi > > Whats the best linux distro that you can install onto a usb flash drive? > I have tryed flash linux but I cant get it to boot. > > Thanks > > Robert I have good success with Mepis, both the Pro version and SimplyMepis. -- <o><><><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><o><><>&l...

Why linux is linux

Booting Linux from an external USB drive
Hi All, I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing it on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (in which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required. To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get messages like: usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2 sd 8:0:0:...

installing Linux from a USB flash drive
Is there a way to install Linux (Centos) *from* a USB stick? I've installed before from iso images on CD's / DVD's and PXE-over-the-network but can I do it from a USB stick too? When I googled the articles I could find all show me how to install it *to* a USB. But how does one use USB as the istallation medium itself? I cannot just copy the iso to a USB stick can I? -- Rahul On 11/06/08 07:35, Rahul wrote: > Is there a way to install Linux (Centos) *from* a USB stick? I've installed > before from iso images on CD's / DVD's and PXE-over-the-network but can...

mount in linux for USB flash drive
When I plug in the USB Flash Drive, Linux couldn't detect it. Should I mount it in order to open files in flash drive? How to do that? Please advise. Thanks!! Oops! jrefactors@hotmail.com (Matt) was seen spray-painting on a wall: > When I plug in the USB Flash Drive, Linux couldn't detect it. Should I > mount it in order to open files in flash drive? How to do that? > > Please advise. Thanks!! It will likely pretend to be a SCSI device, therefore findable as /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb, or something in that series. I'd suggest you do "tail -f /var/log/m...

Using external USB drives with Linux
I am currently running Fedora Core 3 and want to upgrade to FC 6. I am contenplating getting an external USB (or firewire) drive for backup during the upgrade (and for general backup use). I understand that some external drives come formatted NTFS, but I can deal with that. I would reformat it, probably as vfat, so I could also use it for backup under Windows. As long as my system recognizes the sdisk as a mass storage device, I know what to do. Are there any other potential problems. Are some drives recognizable only by Windows? I am considering an Iomega drive. Any comments ab...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Secure USB Flash Drive for Linux
Hi, I'm looking for a USB Flash Drive that will work with Linux that has either or both of the following security features: 1. A biometric pad for a fingerprint authentication (I have seen the BioStik but have yet to verify if the fingerprint authentication works with Linux... if you know, let me know). 2. A password protected file space. I've looked at a few flash drives that have these features with Windows but, in most cases, I have only been able to mount the insecure file space. Barring getting something like this to work, I'll have to use a separate crypto engine (like ...

usb external drives not reliable for linux?
Hi, I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system. I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this message: ls: reading directory .: Input/output error If I cd away and back again, my directory is back. Is that implicit in usb or the drive? Can a disk be made to not do that? I have it mounted in sync mode. cts Charles T. Smith wrote: > I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system. > I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this > message: > > ...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Automatic unmounting, USB flash drives and Linux
Hello, does Linux support automatic unmounting of USB devices (flash drives) like Windows XP does without manually unmounting. Regards. Windows XP does not ! That also recommends you don't detach removable media without disconnecting them first ! On 30 Giu, 13:46, NBaH <n_b_a_...@hotmail.fr> wrote: > Windows XP does not ! > That also recommends you don't detach removable media without > disconnecting them first ! Windows XP does, you bet. See Windows XP help... The problem is: does Linux support automatic unmounting? On 30 Giu, 15:34, Keith <k.ja...@gmail.com&...

USB flash drive based Linux DVR?
I am looking at this $14 16 GB USB Flash drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220536&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=404255&SID=208090 And wondering if I might be able to use it, or two of them, to build a basic, hard drive free, Linux based DVR? Several folks have told me that this can't be done - that you need a true hard drive to build a DVR of any type. The thing is, we would probably just keep the latest episode or two of Jeopardy on there, so we wouldn't need much room at al...

HOW to boot Linux from an external USB or FireWire drive
Linux News - USA IBM developerWorks has published a detailed technical article on booting Linux from external FireWire or USB drives, in conjunction with a boot floppy, USB ... <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2850840818.html> -- A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated. ...

Help to boot Ubuntu Linux from USB flash drive
Hello all, I have been searching for an answer to this question off and on for about a month. I have a dual boot system set up with Vista and Ubuntu. Everything is working great, relearning linux after getting away from it for a few years. Anyway, on my old computer that I had set up a few years ago to dual boot (XP and RedHat) I was able to set it up so it would only boot into linux if I put in a floppy. I now have Grub set up with Vista first so when my son starts up the computer, he can go into Vista and use his account. The problem is when I'm using linux, if I restart...

external USB drive for Redhat linux 8.0
Hello. I am looking for an external USB drive for my linux machine(Redhat 8.0). I have heard that not many USB drives are compatible with linux. If so, can someone give me suggestions about which USB drive to buy that's known to work with linux machines? Thanks in advance Edy On 17 Jul 2003 15:21:55 -0700, eddie wang staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have heard that not many USB drives are compatible with linux. Where'd you hear that from? It isn't true. USB disks (and CD-RWs, and devices that emulate a disk like digital still cameras and "keychain drives"...

USB Flash Drives: Linux Booting Ahead of Windows
,----[ Quote ] | Potential hurdles | | You may be able to install any piece of software on a UFD, but starting | isn't always so straightforward. Lots of software, such as Microsoft | Office, stores its settings in the Windows Registry. | | This is not a problem as long as the software is being run from the hard | disk or a local UFD. But if you plug the UFD into a different PC, th | program will search in vain for the missing Registry entries. | | The solution is that, for a program to work correctly from a UFD on | any computer, it has to store all its settings in its home directory |...

Booting Linux from USB Flash Drive using Grub4Dos
Hi, Using Grub4Dos, I can start a number of Windows utilities stored in ISO images. Using UNetbootin, I can start/install Ubuntu on my laptop. However, I get an error when I try to start a Linux ISO image using Grub4Dos. Have you ever used Grub4Dos to launch a Linux ISO image? If so, can you send me a sample configuration? Thanks, Scott bump... On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 05:25:50 -0600, Scott Bass wrote: > Hi, > > Using Grub4Dos, I can start a number of Windows utilities stored in ISO > images. > > Using UNetbootin, I can start/install Ubuntu ...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

a question of installing linux operating system on external hard drive
Hi, I am very interested in installing Linux Ubuntu on an external hard drive. = Ideally, I hope that when I plug this HD to my desktop which has Windows 7 = operating system, then I can use Ubuntu to do my programming work and all m= y code, database mysql, Eclipse, Java etc all are installed at the external= hard drive. Then I can unplug it from this desktop and plug into a laptop,= I can continue my work left at Desktop. Is this possible? Desktop hardware and the laptop hardware are different, e.g. video card, wi= fi card etc. So when the external HD is with the desktop and I ...

Installing linux on an IDE flash drive. Swap partition question
Been using a base installation of Debian on a 2GB IDE flash drive plugged into one of these: http://www.ipoxtech.com/ADE-2100.php My question is about the swap partition on the flash drive. Flash eventually wears out. Surely a flash based swap partition will wear out that part of the flash a lot quicker than the flash used for the rest of the Linux installation. Is this considered a problem or just accepted as a "feature" of using a flash drive. Can I run Linux without a swap partition or base the swap partition in RAM? Thanks. Rob Horton wrote: > Been usi...

Web resources about - question about USB external flash drive in linux - comp.os.linux.setup

Embarrassing results raise questions about World Club Series expansion plans
&quot;This is embarrassing. They are too big and too fast. It has to stop. It's embarrassing.&quot; So said a fan at DW Stadium who was so outraged ...

The $36,000 question: a small price to pay for rugby league to get the world's biggest nation on board ...
Todd Greenberg sent an email to Paul Broughton at 4.16 am on Sunday, from his Brisbane hotel room, hours after the end of the All Stars match. ...

HSBC banking app replacing passwords & memorable questions with Touch ID and voice-recognition
HSBC has told the BBC that it is going all-in on biometric security, replacing both passwords and memorable questions with a combination of Touch ...

"Why Not Question Trump’s Faith?"/Why not question everything everyone asserts about relgion?
The first question is asked by Kevin D. Williamson at The National Review. The second question is mine and is intended not so much as a question ...

In Pope Francis era, US candidates face new moral questions
Business Insider In Pope Francis era, US candidates face new moral questions Business Insider FILE - In this Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016 file ...

Hillary: There’s An ‘Underlying Question’ If I’m In It For Me Or You
Hillary: There’s An ‘Underlying Question’ If I’m In It For Me Or You

Meningococcal Infections Among Homeless People In Boston Raises Questions
Three cases of life threatening meningococcal infection have been identified in homeless men in Boston since the first of the year. What can ...

‘Who Knows What Was in My Head?’ Donald Trump Asks the Eternal Question
Donald Trump is finally starting to talk some sense. Read more...

Umberto Eco Asked the Hard Questions About the Myths We Can't Help Believing In
Most people know Umberto Eco as the author of The Name of the Rose (pictured above), a Medieval detective story that caused a sensation. But ...