Reading dos floppy under Linux

    How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ?
If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to serve
this purpose.  What is available under SUSE ?
Thanks,
Paul

0
paul
1/26/2006 1:01:42 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:01:42 GMT, paul
  <paul.horan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>     How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ?
> If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to serve
> this purpose.  What is available under SUSE ?
> Thanks,
> Paul

The commands dosdir, doscp, etc. are part of the mtools package.  You
can use that or you can mount a floppy disk.  Suse probably has an
automounter that can detect when a floppy is inserted, but if you mount
the floppy you must remember to umount it.

--
The important thing to remember about walking on eggs is not to hop.
0

mdir  - for directory listing and

mcopy <source> <destination> - for copy.

these are availabe in redhat.

hope available in SUSE too.

0
linguy
1/26/2006 8:29:04 AM
paul <paul.horan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>     How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ?

Use a dos floppy reader. "ls" springs to mind, after mounting it.

> If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to serve
> this purpose.  What is available under SUSE ?

Whatever is available under slackware.  You can put it there if you
don't have it.  I think you are thinking of the mtools suite: mdir,
mcopy, etc.  Perhaps the fault is with your memory and not with SuSE,
per se? If so, perhaps you could reformulate the question so it is
slightly less accusatory in tone.

Peter
0
Peter
1/27/2006 9:07:54 PM
"Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
> paul <paul.horan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>     How can I read dos floppies under SUSE Linux ?
>
> Use a dos floppy reader. "ls" springs to mind, after mounting it.
>
>> If I remember correctly Slackware had commands like dos dir, dos cp to
>> serve
>> this purpose.  What is available under SUSE ?
>
> Whatever is available under slackware.  You can put it there if you
> don't have it.  I think you are thinking of the mtools suite: mdir,
> mcopy, etc.  Perhaps the fault is with your memory and not with SuSE,
> per se? If so, perhaps you could reformulate the question so it is
> slightly less accusatory in tone.
>
> Peter

Peter,
    My apologies, I was simply trying to supply information on what I was
looking for, not be accusatory.
Since then I have started using mtools, the work GREAT.
Thanks,
Paul

0
paul

Linux, Linux, Linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

Why linux is linux

All About Linux: GNU To Linux? Read This First!
http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Lunix � I haven't been laid in a year. :( I think it's my distro. What version are you guys running? � �Welcome to Lunix! � I always eagerly wait for the new Lunix kernel. When I think of what compilation commands to use I get a huge boner and I often masturbate during the compilation. Some time ago I bought a new computer that compiles the kernel so fast I don't have time to cum. So I compile it twice. � �Typical Lunix user. Hope he runs make clean! "linux.exe, pronounced Ginoo Slash Linnucks, is a common ...

DOS to Linux Setup
I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX. Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do this. Here what I have: P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not formatted with system files). Here's what I need: The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the autoboot will recognis...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Floppies read by Windows but not by Linux
Why can some of my older floppies, newly written on with my vintage Sony Mavica camera, be read by Windows XP but not by Linux? All I know at this point is that formatting is not at issue. -- Charles Packer http://cpacker.org/whatnews mailboxATcpacker.org Charles Packer wrote: > Why can some of my older floppies, newly written on with > my vintage Sony Mavica camera, be read by Windows XP but > not by Linux? All I know at this point is that formatting > is not at issue. > Might be a physical drive issue, or simply that Linux hasn't got the right FAT drivers installed. ...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)
I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups (BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my (attempted?) post to the other group: Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for us...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Reading ADFS floppies on Linux
Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more specifically Fedora Core? I've tried mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount. Ian. In message <1170953348.259140.87460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com> dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote: > Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more > specifically Fedora Core? > > I've tried > > mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy > > but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though >...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | ...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

How were u introduce to Linux & what was ur 1st Linux OS???
my experience is available at http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# v cube wrote: > my experience is available at > http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# You should try all the livecds. They are free to copy and boot up without having to install - saves you days of work when evaluating different distros. http://www.livecdlist.com free to copy and install on as many machines as you wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too. At least 3 different Linux PCs ...

Web resources about - Reading dos floppy under Linux - comp.os.linux.setup

Reading education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reading education is the process by which individuals are taught to derive meaning from text. Government-funded scientific research on reading ...

Reading the trade market tea leaves
With the trade deadline fast approaching, TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie offers up the latest on Travis Hamonic, Dan Hamhuis and Kris Russell. ...

Two cools things buried in President Obama’s budget, which Republicans aren’t even reading
With all eyes turned to New Hampshire yesterday, one could be forgiven for not noticing that President Obama released the final budget proposal ...

Read the news like you’re reading text messages with Quartz
... any in-app purchases. There are ads, but they are unobtrusive and show up the same way the news appears. Read the news like you’re reading ...

Reading tea leaves: Scalia’s death gives new life to Obama’s climate plan
The sulfer-coal-burning John E. Amos Power Plant in West Virginia. (credit: Cathy ) Four days before Justice Antonin Scalia died on Saturday, ...

Watch the latest hilarious edition of celebrities reading mean tweets about themselves
... tweets about themselves in front of the camera. It's amazing, and a new installment in this ongoing series was posted recently. Continue reading... ...

6 Reasons Why People Aren't Reading Your Blog
... your way. Your content doesn't offer any value for your readers. I am like a sponge. I love to learn, and I love to absorb information. Reading ...

Reading the Past
by Doctor Science The largest project we have to do, to become actually moved in, is to unpack and then cull our book collection. Yesterday I ...

Weekend Reading: Scott Lemieux on How Nino Scalia Tried to Turn Jurisprudence into Partisan Professional ...
**Scott Lemieux**: [Justice Scalia's legacy: blistering zingers and a more partisan America](http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/f ...

Lena Dunham To Play Peggy Noonan In ‘Reagan’ Black List Live Reading
EXCLUSIVE: Both are best-selling authors, both have cracked a glass ceiling or two, and both have been nominated for Emmys, but there really ...