RedHat Linux setup

I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?
Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel
0
danieltan
9/28/2003 4:41:52 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 28 Sep 2003 09:41:52 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?

Usually, a new install is from booting the cd. The installer takes
over from there.

> Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks.

Depends on the command. If you mean Linux pretty close to the uxix
commands like ls, grep, ps, sed, .....    yes.
0
Bit
9/28/2003 4:48:36 PM
Daniel Tan wrote:
> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?
> Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks.

Yes Linux can be installed from CD though it isn't like windows.
Linux actually gives you choices of what you want installed.

Many of the Linux commands are the same as UNIX though there can
be differences as well.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

0
David
9/28/2003 4:50:18 PM
Daniel Tan wrote:

> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?

Yes, if you choose the right distribution.

> Does Linux command same as Unix ?

Does what what? Translation required.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

0
Paul
9/28/2003 4:51:36 PM
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote:
> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?

Go read some of the linux FAQs and howtos. Your question is completely
incomprehensible to me, and therefore I deduce you have a terminology
problem, which you will solve by reading one of the appropriate howtos.
No - I don't know whhich you will like best. Maybe

   DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO

> Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks.

Uh ...  where is "my"?  Mexico?  Malysia!  Well, in malaysia you speak
english!  The above makes no sense in english.  Did you mean "are linux
commands the same as in Unix"?  If so, the answer is: linux statisfies
posix, more or less.

Peter
0
Peter
9/28/2003 5:01:32 PM
Daniel Tan wrote:

> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?

.... yes
..
--
///    Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver,    \\\
 \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///

0
mjt
9/28/2003 5:05:28 PM
David wrote:

> Daniel Tan wrote:
>
>> I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ?
>> Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks.
>

> Yes Linux can be installed from CD though it isn't like windows. Linux
> actually gives you choices of what you want installed.
>
> Many of the Linux commands are the same as UNIX though there can be
> differences as well.

Also note that many basic operating system commands, such as ls, tar,
gzip, ps, etc. use the more powerful BSD formats for things and include
the GNU style options, rather than the decrepit and deserve-to-be-shot
defaults of many of the genuine AT&T UNIX versions.

For example, GNU tar by default strips the leading "/" when creating and
when reading tar files. This allows you to un-tar them into a local
directory rather than over-writiing your system's active versions of,
for example, "/etc/passwd" when looking at a tar file for your old copy
of /etc/passwd.

0
Nico

Linux, Linux, Linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

[News] Breaking Linux Myths; Bluetooth Setup Easier in Linux Than in Windows
Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths ,----[ Quote ] | When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows | or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must | be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult | to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation, | or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the | misconceptions. `---- http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php Bluetooth on Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise ,----[ Quote ] | Windows XP | | 1. Pop in the driver CD of the dongle. Install the dri...

Linux RedHat and openBSD in the same hard drive setup.
This is the error mesage I am getting right after adding partitions in the openBSD3.4 disklabel program: ERROR: Unable to mount the root file system on wd0a ERROR: Unable to use wd0b for swap space You must reconfigure wd0 I am attempting to install RedHat alongside openBSD in the same hard drive. The HDD is 76GB and RedHat installed with no problems. The bootloader I am using is Grub and I used the RedHat disk druid program to partition my drive. Below are the hard drive specifications according to the openBSD fdisk and disklabel programs: Drive geometry: Start: Ending: LBA info...

Need help printer setup on Redhat Linux
My OS is rhel-3 update 4 My printer is HP LaserJet 8000N I set up my print by lpadmin command (I don't have X window install, so I can't used the GUI to set up). I typed lpadmin -pmy_printer_name -v/dev/lp0 -claserjet -mps lpadmin -dmy_printer_name accept my_printer_name enable my_printer_name lpstat -s everything is good lp a_test_file The print job is queue, never sent to printer cd /var/log/cups tail -50 error_log E [31/May/2005:15:05:39 -0400] print_job: No file!?! I [31/May/2005:15:18:52 -0400] Job 7 queued on 'HPLaserJet8000N' by 'hads'. E [31/May/2005:15...

RedHat Linux 6.1 setup hangs
Hello, I've got a new(er) machine that I want to install Linux onto. The machine is a Celeron 1.7GHz. When I run the RedHat setup, I configure the basic stuff, like timezone, root password, and a couple of user accounts. Then it goes to the "Installing Packages" screen, and just hangs. It shows 0 packages for the entire list, although it never even asked me which packages I wanted to install. I've tried installing via GUI setup and text setup, and both have a similar problem, although I don't get as far in the text setup. When I rebooted the machine, it still had Windows XP on it...I thought Linux was supposed to wipe out all the data on the HD? Apparently it never did that either. What is wrong? How do I solve this problem? - Dennis Dennis Jones <djones@nospam.com> wrote: > Hello, > I've got a new(er) machine that I want to install Linux onto. The machine > is a Celeron 1.7GHz. [..] > What is wrong? How do I solve this problem? You are using a pretty old distro on quite recent hw, it's a wonder that you get this far at all. I'd highly recommend a newer version. AFAIK RH 9.0 is the latest. -- Michael Heiming Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM Dennis Jones wrote: > I've got a new(er) machine that I want to install Linux onto. .... get a newer distro .. -- /// Michael J. Tobler: m...

Change a sel-file for an SUSE Linux setup in the directory /suse/setup/descr
I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. So, what means this in the sel-files: =Ver: =Sel: +Rec: -Rec: +Req: -Req: =Sum: +Con: -Con: =Cat: =Vis: =Ord: +Ins: -Ins: familiewie@web.de (supernet) wrote in message news:<6c1d6cb9.0502270738.7efd0f65@posting.google.com>... > I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, > because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. > > So, what means this in the sel-files: > > =Ver: > =Sel: > +Rec: > -Rec: > +Req: > -Req: > =Sum: > +Con: > -Con: > =Cat: > =Vis: > =Ord: > +Ins: > -Ins: Oh, I mean I want edit a sel-file in the /suse/setup/descr directory ...

Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?
I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. In article <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux. Gargle is your fiend. On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote: > In article > <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I know dual boots have been done before...

Redhat Linux 8 and Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 printer not configure
Hi, I have configure print server in RHEL 4 Desktop and onther samba and squid server configure in Redhat Linux 8. So, i would like to configure printer RHEL 4 to Linux 8, and then connect with samba client used the every client RHEL 4 printer(Laserjet). I have allready configure linux8 side used (Remotly Network)LPD printer setting. I have set same printer queue name(RHEL 4 Printer Queue name) and same driver select both side. but when i show printer set in Linux 8 side the command run `lpq' then messeage show the "connection port open" and "can not connect". I don`...

Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?
We are a small business with no IT employees and have about 20 Windows ME machines. None of that is subject to change. We are installing a DSL line, and when we do, we want to improve the way our Internet is handled. I am planning to try to set up a server which the DSL will connect to, and will run our web site off the server, as well as automatically get our POP3 emails from our outside accounts, and hold them until our local computers want to see them. It should also share the internet connection and run a firewall. We are only considering no cost versions of Linux for this purpose, an...

Impact vs. Linux RedHat Linux
I filed a WebCase over this, but I'm going to ask here in case others have run into this problem as well. I expect the Linux User Density to be higher here then at Xilinx Support:-) I have impact from ISE 6.2i installed on a Linux/Intel machine, so that I can use the PC-IV cable. It was working for a while, but now all the sudden it ishopelessly non-functional. All I get is I dialog box with the message: Can't access this folder Path is too long I don't know if this matters, but I've been running impact on my main workstation for a while, making ACE files for another pr...

DOS to Linux Setup
I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX. Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do this. Here what I have: P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not formatted with system files). Here's what I need: The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway. Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info. On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:11:40 -0300, T Mac Lean <macleant@dal.ca> wrote: > > > > I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to > make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX. > Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that > someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do > this. > > Here what I have: > > P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD > DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers > Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN > (not formatted with system files). What does that mean? > > Here's what I need: > > The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the > au...

Setup adsl in linux
Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection in red hat linux 7.3 . I setup the xDSL connection in control panel but how do i dial or enable it ? Pls advise how to setup internet. Thanks Rgds Daniel On 2005-01-11, danieltan@time.net.my <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote: > Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection Good, read the dsl-howto. Davide -- "It's 806 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of coffee, half a fsckload of Y2K crap, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it". --adb On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:40:19 -0800, danieltan wr...

setup LAN with Linux?
I have a high-end Linux box, a WinXP box and a piece of crap linux laptop on my LAN using static private IPs behind a dsl router (192.168.x.x etc). Samba allows both linux cpus access to the XP box but the linux boxes won't see or share files with each other. I think NFS should be used for the linux machines to share files, but I have no clue what to use to set that up. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on both machines. How do I do this? -- I'm a total dork married to a total hottie!! bznutz at sarcastic-bastard dot com bznutz <gettinbusy@yourwifeshouse.com> wrote: .... > ...

How to do ruby setup on linux?
Hi All, Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Ch Asif wrote: > Hi All, > > Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? > > Thanks Which linux? You can install ruby via the distro you are using. Or you can install from source. Daniel -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Daniel Bush wrote: > Ch Asif wrote: >> Hi All, >> >> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? >> >> Thanks > > Which linux? > You can install ruby via the distro you are us...

Mail setup for Linux
all, I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail server....here are the specs. We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow. We have a domain and static IP address the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on the road or at home Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with GUI tools to configure ? many thanks for any input. -- Rich........ _______________________________________________________________________________ Posted...

Suggestions for Linux setup
Hi, Case:Antec Sonata case (or use cheaper one?) AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.833GHz, 640k Cache, 333MHz) Barton Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X with 8xAGP/Audio/LAN RAM: Kingston 512 MB PC2700 DDR333 Hard Drive: Seagate 80 GB, Ultra 100, 7200 RPM Video Card: Jaton GeForce4 MX440SE 64 MB AGP (w/TV-Out) ----- Total ~ $470 What does everyone think of this setup? I don't plan to overclock and intend to run somewhat quiet(So the Antec case). This will not be a gaming machine. I'll probably running Eclipse IDE/Java etc. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Looks like a good machine. Ho...

Linux Monitor Setup
I recently installed Linux - Ubuntu . I have followed thru on the setup but prob choose the wrong monitor resolution .. pls help .. what do i do now?? ** I am not familiar with that distribution or XorgConfig. Go to a text console CTRL+ALT+function Key "usually F1-F6" /etc/X11/XF86Config or Xorg.config As root edit your: /etc/X11/XF86Config In the Monitor Section make sure the HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-160 are correct for your monitor. Walt R. ** On 24 Feb 2005 08:00:01 -0800, ebrahimbandookwala@gmail.com <ebrahimbandookwala@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently installed Linux - Ubuntu . I have followed thru on the setup > but prob choose the wrong monitor resolution .. pls help .. what do i > do now?? > Do you get a graphical desktop at all? If you do, select "Computer", "Desktop Preferences" and "Screen Resolution". ...

Linux setup problem.
Hi. I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but I can't seem to get the video card to work. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 on an EMC monitor, and Linux installer can't detect a suitable mode for the display. Everything works just fine on my Win XP OS. The Linux installer runs XFree86 v4.3, and I think this one is most up to date. Any suggestions will be much appreciated? Thank you. Ilian scribbled: > Hi. > I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but > I can't seem to get the video card to work. > I have an...

Linux Setup on PDA
Hello to everyone. I have a question for you. I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do this... Thanks in advance. On 2006-02-11, Cesare Atticus <mirko.lucchese@gmail.com> wrote: > I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. > I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do See on www.handhelds.org Davide -- The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right. ...

Web resources about - RedHat Linux setup - comp.os.linux.setup

RedHat security finds multiple network devices leak ‘RSA-CRT’ keys
A researcher has discovered certain implementations of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol used to encrypt web traffic can leak RSA keys. ...

redhat-logo1-feature
AllThingsD.com is a Web site devoted to news, analysis and opinion on technology, the Internet and media. But it is different from other sites ...

Channel Beat: HP Turns Up Heat On Cisco-RedHat
CRN Channel Beat: HP Turns Up Heat On Cisco-RedHat CRN Competition between HP and Cisco continues to heat up, as HP launches its Helion line ...

Lenovo's Software Defined Infrastructure Strategy Comes Together With RedHat and Nutanix
How Lenovo is Positioning Nutanix Deal (Source: Lenovo) In January, I spent a few days with the senior leadership team of Lenovo’s enterprise ...

redhat — Cloud Computing News
Structure:Data live coverage On March 21 and 22, at Structure:Data, we'll look at how companies like @WalmartLabs, IBM, and PayPal...

Early employee interviews continue w RedHat
I've been doing series of interviews with early employees of notable tech companies. Latest one is Paul McNamara discussing his days at Red Hat ...

Vmware-EMC's Pivotal HD: Negative For Redhat, Inc.
(By Mani) EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC ) and VMware,Inc. (NYSE: VMW ) announced a Hadoop distribution Pivotal HD, which would be a tough competitor ...

newest submissions : redhat
reddit: the front page of the internet

RedHat - TechCrunch
TechCrunch is a leading technology media property, dedicated to obsessively profiling startups, reviewing new Internet products, and breaking ...

Open Source Chief at Redhat Hit With Bogus Copyright Claims
As the largest user-generated content site, YouTube employs ContentID, a system that scans uploads and compares them to a list of works in its ...