What is "error 8" - as in "Failed to activate device with error 8"

I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool
as a generic modem device.  However, when I hit the "Activate" button,
I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8."  Where can
I find what "error 8" means?

Thanks.

0
Crooked
2/24/2005 10:05:14 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

No one responded, but for the benefit of any other newbies who
encounter this problem, here is the solution:

I looked in the System Log and saw that the modem did not find a dial
tone.  I plugged in a phone line, and the "Activate" command worked
fine.

(I had not realized that "Activate" meant "Connect.")

0
Crooked
2/28/2005 6:15:06 PM
Crooked River wrote:
> I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool
> as a generic modem device.  However, when I hit the "Activate" button,
> I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8."  Where can
> I find what "error 8" means?

System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h
The only problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the
program is displaying.

#define ENOEXEC          8      /* Exec format error */

does not sound like what you are really getting. The best bet would be to
look at the source of the program that is producing that error message.
Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot
concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti
mess, and if your luck is like mine, you will never find it.

  ^^-^^ 14:20:01 up 39 days, 22:36, 3 users, load average: 2.44, 2.33, 2.22

0
Jean
2/28/2005 7:24:24 PM
Jean-David Beyer writes:
> System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h The only
> problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the program is
> displaying.

It most likely was displaying the pppd exit status:

   8      The connect script failed (returned a non-zero exit status).

Which the Red Hat's GUI has obscured in the usual GUI fashion.

> Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot
> concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti
> mess, and if your luck is like mine, you will never find it.

A Red Hat characteristic.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org

ruby 1.8.0: Error on "%02d" % "08" or "%02d" % "09"
Hi, I'm using ruby 1.8.0 (Win native and cygwin version). These two commands "%02d" % "08" "%02d" % "09" result in the error `%': invalid value for Integer: "08" (ArgumentError) For other numbers/strings (including "8" and "9", but also "01".."07", it appears to work as expected -- i.e., as I would expect it. The problem, I want to solve: Turn strings like "1", "3", "04", "03" into a canonical 2-digit string with zeros in front. Should I use a di...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

"my" and "our"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

Error using SOPC builder
I'm trying to make a SDRAM controller with SOPC builder, but when I change the data width to 8bits I get the following error.. Warning: Signal "az_be_n" of type "byteenable_n" and width 1 must have width of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128. I'm trying to make the system for a 64Mb SDR SDRAM, Micron MT48LC8M8A2P-75. Even when I select the Alliance AS4LC2M8S0-10 chip it does the same thing. So I'm guessing it has to do with a width of 8 bits. Thank you, Eric On Oct 18, 12:39 pm, sendt...@gmail.com wrote: > I'm trying to make a SDRAM controller with SOPC build...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

MAC SE: "Bomb" crash "System Error"
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue-box shows the BOMB icon with the message, SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR HAS OCCURRED --- ADDRESS ERROR It never reaches the desktop; this crash occurs every time. The Mac SE has a 330 meg internal hard drive, System 6.x.x, and a 1.4 meg internal 3.5 floppy drive. There is a SCSI port but no internal CD reader. The b/w screen is extremely sharp in its focus. The computer worked fine until about a year ago, when I stupidly put a file in the wrong folder. It has crashed consistently ever since! It has an assortment of software on the hard drive, but I have backups of everything and am willing to reformat the entire hard drive if necessary to get the computer working again! If I can resurrect the computer, I hope to upgrade the system to System 7.0 or 7.1 . DONE SO FAR: Yes, I have launched it with shift-key down, to turn off the extensions, but it always crashes Ive also tried vari...

MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue...

Why is the difference between "Error Out.ctl" and "Error Out 3D.ctl"?
&nbsp; What is 'Error Out 3D.ctl' in LabVIEW 7.0? [It's found in 'Controls > Array & Cluster'.] Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'? Or are the differences simply cosmetic? Neither of these controls seems to have an entry in LabVIEW Help. &nbsp; Oops - 'Why is' == 'What is' > Does it differ functionally from the old 'Error Out.ctl' found in > 'Controls > Classic Controls > Classic Array & Cluster'...

error: ";" expected, "=" found.
Hey there, I been running some programs and saving some of my data, just by selecting the variables in the workspace and saving... However sometimes when i do this and try to reopen them, im given the error message: error: ";" expected, "=" found. and im unable to retrieve the data, any help please???? Ben Parslew wrote: > > Hey there, > > I been running some programs and saving some of my data, just by > selecting the variables in the workspace and saving... However > sometimes when i do this and try to reopen them, im given the error > message: ...

"out of memory" error message and "segment violation" or "segmentation fault (on linux)": the partially solution
Dear all, try these solution (origin support matlab): type the command line at the top of your .m file: feature accel off You can type the same at prompt matlab. If you are lucky, the message diseppaers. Type feature accel on for toggle (on is the default mode). Alain, who as very big experience with "out of memory and segmentation fault" ...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Protocol specific error code(s): "*", "*", "0".
I am using the ibm_db2 PECL drive in PHP for connecting to or DB2 database. I created a persistent connection and things seemed to work fine at first. However, after a few tests / connections, I started to get this error when running through my queries: [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "10.26.243.61". Communication function detecting the error: "recv". Protocol specific error code(s): &...

Web resources about - What is "error 8" - as in "Failed to activate device with error 8" - comp.os.linux.setup