What is "error 8" - as in "Failed to activate device with error 8"

I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool
as a generic modem device.  However, when I hit the "Activate" button,
I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8."  Where can
I find what "error 8" means?

Thanks.

0
Crooked
2/24/2005 10:05:14 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

No one responded, but for the benefit of any other newbies who
encounter this problem, here is the solution:

I looked in the System Log and saw that the modem did not find a dial
tone.  I plugged in a phone line, and the "Activate" command worked
fine.

(I had not realized that "Activate" meant "Connect.")

0
Crooked
2/28/2005 6:15:06 PM
Crooked River wrote:
> I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool
> as a generic modem device.  However, when I hit the "Activate" button,
> I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8."  Where can
> I find what "error 8" means?

System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h
The only problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the
program is displaying.

#define ENOEXEC          8      /* Exec format error */

does not sound like what you are really getting. The best bet would be to
look at the source of the program that is producing that error message.
Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot
concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti
mess, and if your luck is like mine, you will never find it.

  ^^-^^ 14:20:01 up 39 days, 22:36, 3 users, load average: 2.44, 2.33, 2.22

0
Jean
2/28/2005 7:24:24 PM
Jean-David Beyer writes:
> System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h The only
> problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the program is
> displaying.

It most likely was displaying the pppd exit status:

   8      The connect script failed (returned a non-zero exit status).

Which the Red Hat's GUI has obscured in the usual GUI fashion.

> Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot
> concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti
> mess, and if your luck is like mine, you will never find it.

A Red Hat characteristic.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org