Problem compiling xorg-8.2 : No rule to make target `../../../lib/GL/glx/?*.o'

I am trying to compile xorg-8.2 to replace my old Xfree86 4.3.0 on this
Slackware 9.1 box.

I run a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel - sources in /usr/src/linux (yes I know
Linus says that should not be necessary, but they are there anyway).

I have the current nvidia proprietary driver (7676), and its libraries
installed.  I suspect that they may be the problem .. but I am just
guessing.

I have followed the xorg Build instructions and compilation appears to be
successful - at least if that is what a World.log which ends as follows
means success.

make[4]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[4]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [all] Hangup
make[1]: *** [World] Hangup
make: *** [World] Hangup

For the purpose of checking that all has gone well I am doing a test
installation in my home directory < make install DESTDIR=/home/me/xorg >

This appeares to work, but eventually aborts with :

installing in lib/GL/GL...
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/build/lib/GL/GL'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `../../../lib/GL/glx/?*.o', needed by
`libGL.so.1.2'.  Stop.

I have googled to handful of ther instances of this problem (some in
languages I don't speak), but found no solution.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Geoff
0
Geoff
12/4/2005 9:31:43 PM
comp.os.linux.x 2543 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Geoff wrote:
> I am trying to compile xorg-8.2 to replace my old Xfree86 4.3.0 on this
> Slackware 9.1 box.
>
> I run a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel - sources in /usr/src/linux (yes I know
> Linus says that should not be necessary, but they are there anyway).
>
> I have the current nvidia proprietary driver (7676), and its libraries
> installed.  I suspect that they may be the problem .. but I am just
> guessing.
>
> I have followed the xorg Build instructions and compilation appears to be
> successful - at least if that is what a World.log which ends as follows
> means success.
>
> make[4]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
> make[4]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
> make[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
> make[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
> make[2]: *** [all] Hangup
> make[1]: *** [World] Hangup
> make: *** [World] Hangup

This don't say anything whats wrong.

> For the purpose of checking that all has gone well I am doing a test
> installation in my home directory < make install DESTDIR=/home/me/xorg >

When you make a proper install, see to not have the nvidia drivers installed
and reinstall those after you switched to xorg.

> This appeares to work, but eventually aborts with :
>
> installing in lib/GL/GL...
> make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/build/lib/GL/GL'
> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `../../../lib/GL/glx/?*.o', needed by
> `libGL.so.1.2'.  Stop.

Seems like there is something that wasn't built, no MESA maybe?

What I did when I used RedHat, was to use the original sourcerpm, install it,
modify the version numbers in the spec file and see to it uses the new source
files and then run "rpmbuild -ba /path/so/specfile/xorg.spec", this would
create a proper RPM which can be installed on traditional way (think slack did
use rpm, or did it?). This way I didn't have to think about special options
and so, just wait until the build was finished and then install it. Could be
the easies way fro you too.

 //Aho
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:21:17 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for responding J.O.

I made a new build directory and tried again.  This time World.log
terminates :

make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/doc/hardcopy/XPRINT'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/doc/hardcopy'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build/doc'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/build'

Mon Dec  5 17:20:52 GMT 2005

Full build of Release 6.8.2 complete.

After this the remainder of the installation goes smoothly. I don't know
why it did not work the first time, but I have now done three compilations
and they all succeeded.

>> For the purpose of checking that all has gone well I am doing a test
>> installation in my home directory < make install DESTDIR=/home/me/xorg >
>
> When you make a proper install, see to not have the nvidia drivers installed
> and reinstall those after you switched to xorg.

I will

<snip>

> What I did when I used RedHat, was to use the original sourcerpm, install it,
> modify the version numbers in the spec file and see to it uses the new source
> files and then run "rpmbuild -ba /path/so/specfile/xorg.spec", this would
> create a proper RPM which can be installed on traditional way (think slack did
> use rpm, or did it?). This way I didn't have to think about special options
> and so, just wait until the build was finished and then install it. Could be
> the easies way fro you too.

Thanks for that.

Regards,

Geoff