remote X desktop

Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
time it must also have worstation desktop. So lets say I have 2 virtual
(vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
does not work..
In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.
Regards.
Alex
0
joyRyder
9/23/2004 5:47:52 PM
comp.os.linux.x 2543 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

joyRyder wrote:
> Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
> how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
> time it must also have worstation desktop. So lets say I have 2 virtual
> (vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
> does not work..
> In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.

The "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" is your friend...

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-X-Apps.html

--
- Matt -
0
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:30:00 +0000, Matt wrote:

> joyRyder wrote:
>> Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
>> how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
>> time it must also have worstation desktop. So lets say I have 2 virtual
>> (vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
>> does not work..
>> In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.
>
> The "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" is your friend...
>
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-X-Apps.html

yes, but the problem is when i start second X server, keyboard remains
locked with original
0
joyRyder
9/23/2004 8:45:18 PM

joyRyder wrote:
> Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
> how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
> time it must also have worstation desktop.

X client applications running on your "server" can display on any X server on
the network, including the X server running on your "workstation".

At the "server", set the DISPLAY environment variable to name the X server you
want to display on (format is DISPLAY=systemname:x-server-instance), and use
xauth or xhost at the "workstation" to permit the "server" to access it.

For example (assuming that your "workstation" is called WorkStation.localnet
and your "Server" is called Server.localnet),

  On "workstation", enter
    xhost +Server.localnet

  On "server", enter
    export DISPLAY=WorkStation.localnet:0
    xterm &

The xterm will display on the "workstation", even though it runs on the "server".

> So lets say I have 2 virtual
> (vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
> does not work..

How do you mean "it does not work"? What happens (or doesn't happen)?

In any case, if you are going to use two X servers (one on :0 and one on :1),
you will have to choose which one you want the app to display on

  export DISPLAY=WorkStation.localnet:0
will display on your :0 X server on the "workstation", while
  export DISPLAY=WorkStation.localnet:1
will display on your :1 X server on the "workstation".

> In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.
> Regards.
> Alex

- --
Lew Pitcher

0
Lew
9/24/2004 12:47:18 AM
Simply: From first X server I want to log into local machine
	from second Xserver I want to log into machine.on-local.net with GUI
	from third Xserver I want to log into machine2.on-local.net with GUI
	from fourth Xserver I want to log into machine3.on-local.net with GUI

Alex

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:47:52 +0200, joyRyder wrote:

> Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
> how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
> time it must also have worstation desktop. So lets say I have 2 virtual
> (vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
> does not work..
> In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.
> Regards.
> Alex

0
joyRyder
9/24/2004 3:59:57 PM
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:45:18 +0200, joyRyder wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:30:00 +0000, Matt wrote:
>> joyRyder wrote:
>>> Hy! I have 2 linux boxes, one is server, other workstation. My question is
>>> how can workstation also be remote Xterminal for server, but at the same
>>> time it must also have worstation desktop. So lets say I have 2 virtual
>>> (vt7 and vt8) terminals and two X server running on my workstation. But it
>>> does not work..
>>> In one case desktopmanager is xdm in other is gdm.
>>
>> The "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" is your friend...
>>
>> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-X-Apps.html
>
> yes, but the problem is when i start second X server, keyboard remains
> locked with original

Exactly how did you start up the second X server?
How do you switch between your sessions?

FWIW, I am able to run my usual SuSE 9.1 KDE session, and start off one or
more X sessions to Sun workstations on my network. I then switch between
these full screen sessions using <Ctrl+Alt+F7> for SuSE session, and
<Ctrl+Alt+F8> for the next session (say to Sun Solaris8 on Ultra2), etc.
The keyboard and mouse work with the X session that is currently on screen.

That sounds like what you want to do? Works great with SuSE 9.1!
BTW, you don't say which distro you are using, or what gear?

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

0
Juhan
9/27/2004 4:31:10 PM
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:31:10 -0200, Juhan Leemet wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:45:18 +0200, joyRyder wrote:
>>>
>>> The "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO" is your friend...
>>>
>>> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-X-Apps.html
>>
>> yes, but the problem is when i start second X server, keyboard remains
>> locked with original
>
> Exactly how did you start up the second X server?
> How do you switch between your sessions?
>
> FWIW, I am able to run my usual SuSE 9.1 KDE session, and start off one or
> more X sessions to Sun workstations on my network. I then switch between
> these full screen sessions using <Ctrl+Alt+F7> for SuSE session, and
> <Ctrl+Alt+F8> for the next session (say to Sun Solaris8 on Ultra2), etc.
> The keyboard and mouse work with the X session that is currently on screen.

... inittab looks standard
I started multiple instances of X server in file Xservers

> That sounds like what you want to do? Works great with SuSE 9.1!
> BTW, you don't say which distro you are using, or what gear?
redhat
0
joyRyder