"mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error

Hiya all,

I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to
inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my
laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

Here's the output from my /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts:

[root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,user,ro 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0

(I do have a /etc/fstab.REVOKE file present too, but it's empty.)

[root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda7 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0

[root@FB_LAPTOP cyberisha]# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/mydocs ntfs ro 0 0

The dmesg command does show that /dev/hdc is correct:

hdc: QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

So I am stumped! I hope someone can help...

Thanks a million in advance,

c.

P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...
0
exec1 (2)
4/7/2004 12:17:56 PM
comp.os.linux 3406 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Fatos,

you need to have a disk in the drive to mount it, have you? :-)

/gordian

Fatos Berisha wrote:
> Hiya all,
>
> I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to
> inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my
> laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
> using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
> yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
> does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

....[rest deleted]

0
no7287 (16)
4/7/2004 12:33:16 PM
Billy Watt wrote:

> Fatos Berisha wrote:
>
> It's a burner then ? Does RH install SCSI emulation ?
>
> If it does you may find your CD drive at /dev/sr0

Indeed, but while the kernel calls the device sr0, the /dev directory
refers to it as scd0

Of course, you can always create a symbolic link:
	ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/sr0
or create a proper device node
	mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
(which is probably not recommended, because then you have two entries
for the same device, which may confuse mount, and give you two lots of
device permissions to manage, etc.)
0
sewoh.mij (6)
4/7/2004 1:57:00 PM
Yes there's always been a disk in the drive, every time I tried the command.

Cheers,

Fatos

gordian wrote:
> Hi Fatos,
>
> you need to have a disk in the drive to mount it, have you? :-)
>
> /gordian
>
> Fatos Berisha wrote:
>
>> Hiya all,
>>
>> I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then
>> to inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9
>> on my laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on
>> start-up or using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom),
>> that actually yields the "not a valid block device" error message.
>> Mounting /dev/hdc does the same. All these files exist in their
>> respective directories.
>>
> ...[rest deleted]

0
exec1 (2)
4/7/2004 3:29:38 PM
Fatos Berisha wrote:

> I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to
> inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my
> laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
> using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
> yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
> does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,user,ro 0 0

The noauto option means that it is not mounted automatically at boot. The
kudzu option mounts the CD if kudzu sees it is inserted.

> P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

Good. Question. Is this a music CD that you have inserted? Does it 'mount'
in Windows?

--
Ruurd
..o.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:17:56 +0100, Fatos Berisha wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to
> inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my
> laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
> using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
> yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
> does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

> P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

[root]# lsmod
ide-scsi                9360   0

[root]# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2004-04-04 16:28 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/sr0

0
daveuhring (1186)
4/7/2004 8:01:01 PM
Fatos Berisha <exec@cyberisha.com> wrote:
> Hiya all,

> I presume that this is the archetypal newbie problem, so no need then to
> inform you of my level of expertise. I've just installed Redhat 9 on my
> laptop and my CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive fails to mount, either on start-up or
> using the mount command (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), that actually
> yields the "not a valid block device" error message. Mounting /dev/hdc
> does the same. All these files exist in their respective directories.

It's a CDRW, so it's most likely automatically been set to use ide-scsi.
It may be that it's not been FULLY setup though, try this... (it worked for
me on an incompletely setup suse, before I compiled ide-scsi into the
kernel)

rmmod ide-cd
insmod ide-scsi hdc
the scsi cdrom device should now be accessable from /dev/sr0.

> P.S. And yes, my /dev/cdrom DOES point to /dev/hdc, ...

Try pointing it at /dev/sr0 (or /dev/scd0)
0
spike1 (8171)

Memorex USB Flash Drive Won't Mount -- "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
I'm having no success mounting my Memorex USB 2.0 flash drive on my Toshiba 1905-S277 running Redhat 9.0. I've tried nearly all of what I read in the posts. I've added the line /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0 to /etc/fstab, and created the /mnt/thumbdrive directory. When I try mounting it, I get the message "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device." I believe that the necessary modules are installed. The output from lsmod is as follows: /sbin/lsmod Module Size Used by Not tainted sd_mod 13516 0 (autoclea...

"/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device"
Hi everybody, i was running into some troubles with my linux box. I have RedHat 8.0.A installed on my K6-2/300. For some reasons i had to recompile the kernel and i decided to switch to a 2.4.20 one. After the installation of the new kernel things seems to run quite smoothly, but I am able no more to access my cd-rw drive, an IDE LG 4/4/24 (Secondary IDE Master). If i try to mount it from the console i get a message saying that "/dev/cdrom1/ is not a valid block device". The other IDE cd-rom drive (Secondary IDE Slave), nevertheless, works without any problem. Since when i mount ...

What is "error 8"
I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool as a generic modem device. However, when I hit the "Activate" button, I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8." Where can I find what "error 8" means? Thanks. No one responded, but for the benefit of any other newbies who encounter this problem, here is the solution: I looked in the System Log and saw that the modem did not find a dial tone. I plugged in a phone line, and the "Activate" command worked fine. (I had not realized that "Activate" meant "Connect.") Crooked River wrote: > I set up an external serial modem using the Red Hat GUI networking tool > as a generic modem device. However, when I hit the "Activate" button, > I get the message, "Failed to activate device with error 8." Where can > I find what "error 8" means? > System error numbers can be found in /usr/include/asm/errno.h The only problem is that there is no assurance that that is what the program is displaying. #define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */ does not sound like what you are really getting. The best bet would be to look at the source of the program that is producing that error message. Unfortunately, the scattered shell scripts, programs, and whatnot concerned with networking, especially dial-up networking is a spaghetti mess, and if your ...

difference between sun cluster "/dev/did" and "/dev/global" devices
Hello, I am not able to understand what is difference between "/dev/did" and "/dev/global" devices in sun cluster. Can some one explain in simple terms? I have a sun cluster where I am seeing that "/dev/did" is populated where as "/dev/global" is not. Is this normal (or) abnormal? Also should oracle RAC use "/dev/did" devices or "/dev/global" when running on sun cluster. Thanks and Regards, Mannu. On Feb 11, 10:07=A0am, mannu <manishsingh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I am not able to un...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"out of memory" error message and "segment violation" or "segmentation fault (on linux)": the partially solution
Dear all, try these solution (origin support matlab): type the command line at the top of your .m file: feature accel off You can type the same at prompt matlab. If you are lucky, the message diseppaers. Type feature accel on for toggle (on is the default mode). Alain, who as very big experience with "out of memory and segmentation fault" ...

Why there is always a "10800"error" using the "digital buffer read" block?
My DAQ Card is PCI 6115. &nbsp;I'm trying to buffer read digital signals from my I/O everytime when the AO updates. I used the "DIO Config", "Param"(set the "AO Update" clock), "Buffer Control" (for DIO Start cannot use in PCI 6115), and "DIO Read" blocks&nbsp;in my program. However, there is always a "10800"error" from "digital buffer read" block when I run it. I know it's from the "DIO Read" block. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to solve this problem. &nbsp; Another thing is I tried d...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"my" and "our"

"or" and "and"

why "::", not "."

"Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"
Found this interesting transcript <http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html> of a talk given by Richard Stallman while he was over in the West Island recently. Among other things, he explains why he wants people to use the term "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" when referring to the operating system: However after people started using essentially the GNU system with Linux added, and called it Linux, it no longer led then to the philosophy associated with GNU - the philosophy of free software. Instead o...

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"No MTP devices." and "No devices." are my folders ???
I'm running a home built version of exmh 2.7.0 on Mandriva 2007.0 (with digits like that it's gotta work, right ;-) I ran 'Find all folders' from the 'More..." folder menu. The result of doing that is that my folder list becomes only "No MTP devices." and "No devices." To work restore my folder list I had to: - quit exmh - move ~/.exmh out of the way - restart exmh - 'Find all folders' - quit exmh - move the old ~/.exmh back Moving the old ~/.exmh back isn't strictly required, but I prefer my customization. &#...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

[News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?
The "GNU/Linux" and "Linux" Controversy ,----[ Quote ] | (Column) - This famous controversy is there ever since I became aware of | operating systems known as GNU/Linux. The GNU General Public License (GPL), | which is used by Linux as well as most GNU software, armors both | characters. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Well, i think, Linus Torvalds did another troll statement. -----BEGIN...

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"
"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3 "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!! Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. Al...

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

Web resources about - "mount: /dev/hdc(or cdrom) Is Not A Valid Block Device" error - comp.os.linux