Canon S300 printer and GPL driver from canon.jp

hi everyone

Like many other users, I'm experiencing problems with my Canon S300
printer.

Today I've found a page at linuxprinting.org that state that Canon has
released GPLed drivers for S300 in Japan (
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-S300 ).
It's actually true: http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/bjlinux210.html

Since I cannot understand japanese and babelfish isn't helping so much
I tried to install them without much luck.

I downloaded and installed (I'm running Mandrake 10 rc1)
bjfilterbjs300-2.1-0.i386.rpm, bjfiltercups-2.2-0.i386.rpm,
bjfiltercups-ppd-1.0-0.i386.rpm and I also needed to download, compile
and install libpng.so.2 (it isn't included in mandrake 10).

bjfilterbjs300-2.1-0.i386.rpm installs some kind of GUI, similar to
the one working under win98. It's located under /usr/local/bin and I
don't know how to use it.
bjfiltercups-ppd-1.0-0.i386.rpm installs many ppd files under
/usr/share/cups/models, but printerdrake says they aren't valid ppd
files.

I don't know what to do now. Anyone has successfully installed these
drivers? Can anyone please help me?

Since these drivers are GPL, could they be translated / updated /
developed?

thanks
Gabriele
0
fif3336 (4)
4/2/2004 1:38:32 PM
comp.os.linux 3406 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Linux printer drivers for Canon S300 ? (gutenprint: missingdriver files)
Hello, have installed an Ubuntu-Linux; the printeris Canon S300. Canon has no driver written for it. The gutenprint-project's documentation says that there is a driver bjc-s300, but it is NOT installed on the Ubuntu-distribution (which comesalong with gutenprint 5.0). So, where to get thesses files from? (Or any other idea to use this printer?) TIA, Oliver Oliver Bandel wrote: > Hello, > > have installed an Ubuntu-Linux; the printeris Canon S300. > Canon has no driver written for it. > The gutenprint-project's documentation says that there is ...

FYI
Yesterday I was in need of drivers for my Canon ImageCLASS D780 laser printer/scanner/copier/fax device. Logically I went to the Canon USA support web site. Illogically Canon reports "No drivers are available for this model." On a hunch I surfed on over to the Canon Canada support web site. Voila! There I found the drivers I needed. So if any of you find yourselves in the same boat and can't find the drivers you need, take a look here http://www.canon.ca/english/index-customersupport.asp Dejola <johnandjanet@gmail.com> observed >Yesterday I was in need of dr...

No canon pixma ip3000 printer drivers for linux
Canon does not have linux driver for pixma ip3000 printer. I tried i250 driver but it didn't work. When I ask for a test page nothing happens: the printer's light starts blinking, but no page came out. Is there a workaround? Is there a open source linux driver for Canon pixma ip3000 printer? ...

New Canon Printers with RISC OS drivers and CDR printing facility
Inkjet printers with parallel ports are getting rare! CJE Micro's now have available the new Canon Bubblejet printers i560 and i865 with RISC OS drivers. The i865 has built in the facility to print onto CDR's! Full specifications and pictures will be on our web site shortly. i560 is 170 GBP inc VAT & UK Delivery (Exceptions apply) i865 is 212 GBP inc VAT & UK Delivery (Exceptions apply) As you would expect from CJE Micro's, both are in stock! Chris Evans -- CJE Micros / NCS / 4D 'Acorn Centre of Technology' Tel: +44 01903 523222 ...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi. Plus they are about the same price on newegg.com. Are there any features that the i860 has that the MP360 doesn't? Otherwise why not get the MP360 and get a scanner too. any info would be appreciated. Canon i860 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9387&item=9442&section=10214 Canon MP360 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9527&item=9632&section=10223 Most people BUY a product based on how THEY will use the product. Maybe the first think you need to do sort out is your own imaging needs. "sydemon" <sydegun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49cf01cc.0405051118.15975f6@posting.google.com... : I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The : MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. : I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, : except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit : faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo : paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi...

Canon Printer Drivers
Can someone tell me where I might find the OS2 drivers for my Canon i550 printer? Hap Reese Hi Willard Willard Reese wrote: > Can someone tell me where I might find the OS2 drivers for my Canon > i550 printer? > > Hap Reese Current/Recent omni driver pack. Regards Pete ...

drivers for canon printer
what's the current drivers for the canon pixma ip4000 inkjet printer? just recently brought it and have set it up. now it needs the drivers. I'm told that the 850 or 950 drivers work well wit the IP4000, dunno about the ip8500. However, I don't think I have those type of drivers tho on my pc. are they supposed to be in omni or epomni, if so, then my driver must be out of date. I guess trip to Passport Adavantage is in order, eh? Alex Smariga wrote: >And I have the Pixma 8500 and would like to know what drivers will >allow me to use this pr...

Drivers for Canon printers
I know that often drivers are designed for a printer family, so that a driver for for lower-numbered printer will wokr (albeit with some limitations) for a higher numbered one. So, does anyone know if a) there are drivers for the 560/860/960 and/or 850/950 series of Canon printers? Do drivesr for 860 work for 960? Etc. b) there are any OS/2 or WinOS/2 drivers for this series? Thanks Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: > So, does anyone know if > a) there are drivers for the 560/860/960 and/or 850/950 series of Canon > printers? Do drivesr for 860 work for 960? Etc. > b) ...

Canon S300 with Canon Pro Photo Paper
I have been using my new Epson 825 printer (a 6-color type) for photos. Got the thing on Dec 26 and the photos look great. Too soon to say how long the ink etc will last. Anyhow, for the past year I've also had a Canon S300 (a regular 4-color type) printer. I never used it to print photos, but with my wife kind of using the Epson an awful lot lately I've considered wrigging it up to handle photos. I never bothered before due to the fear of fading, but I read that Wilheim rated Canon's Pro Photo paper as lasting 37-odd years. So I considered maybe using that paper with the S300 for my wife's usage. Any tips on my doing that? Is perhaps the Pro Photo Paper only meant for high-end printers like the i9100, or would the S300 possibly match up well with it? LRH > Anyhow, for the past year I've also had a Canon S300 (a regular 4-color > type) printer. I never used it to print photos You haven't missed anything. The S300 produces terrible color prints -- bleached out and splotchy. Perhaps with limitless time and experimentation one could get tolerable results. -- Curtis Croulet Temecula, California 33� 27' 59" N, 117� 05' 53" W ...

Canon 2700F driver update on Canon UK site.
Hi, Just noticed that there's a download of Scancraft 3.6.6 on Canon's UK website- looks like it's recently been uploaded (18/9/3003) and I havn't seen any references to it here. Claims to work under XP, too, which was why I was snooping around (havn't tried it, yet, though). http://ww2.canon.co.uk/driverdownload/ Cheers, W. William Warburton <W.Warburton@ed.ac.uk> observed >Hi, > Just noticed that there's a download of Scancraft 3.6.6 on >Canon's UK website- looks like it's recently been uploaded (18/9/3003) ...

Ilford printer drivers for Canon
I have read that Ilford has printer drivers for several printers. I'm using the Canon i960 and Ilford Galerie Smooth Glossy paper. Where I can I get a driver for my printer? The Ilford site seems to suggest that the drivers are only available on CD and only in the UK or the Netherlands. Thanks. Just for reference, here is an Ilford link announcing the drivers: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/prod_html/galerie/htm/gtp/gppd.htm (Yes, it says UK/Netherlands and CD only.) -- Mike http://www.graphtablet.com Free graph paper for students and others. On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:06:26 -0600, C wrote: > I have read that Ilford has printer drivers for several printers. I'm > using the Canon i960 and Ilford Galerie Smooth Glossy paper. > > Where I can I get a driver for my printer? The Ilford site seems to > suggest that the drivers are only available on CD and only in the UK or > the Netherlands. > > Thanks. I did receive an e-mail from Ilford indicating that they are working on developing drivers for newer printers. The process has been slower than anticipated. The suggestion is to keep checking their website: www.ilford.com occasionally to see what's been added to their list. My impression is that the drivers will be downloadable from their site. ...

Printer driver for Canon S820
My Canon BJC4000 appears to have given up the ghost and sounds to have consumed a box of paperclips! I have a Canon S820 and have installed a Canon S800 printer driver but so far no printing. Anyone got any ideas? I am using Risc OS 4.02 on a RiscPC 700 Jim Whitworth -- _ _________________________________________ / \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'Internet for Everyone' _______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk In message <na.8484444e5e.a801a0jimcel@orpheusmail.co....

Canon S300 printer
I convinced my boss to go linux at work telling him that I had no problems at home. Unfortunately I look like a dick now. At work there is a Canon s300 printer. When I booted after installing Kudzu came up and asked me if I wanted it to configure the printer. I said yes. Upon trying to print nothing happened. No pages, No error message. I looked in the queue icon on the panel and it said that it was printing (a lie) I opened "Printing" under "System Settings" to examine it. Everything looked fine except for the queue type page. It had it going to /dev/u...

Canon printer driver/Panther
I wish to upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3 and would appreciate knowing if Panther uses my current printer driver for my Canon i320 or does 10.3 add a newer driver, or do I need to get the 10.3 driver fron Canon's website and install it myself. Would love to hear from someone who also owns a i320 running on 10.3 Thanks all for any advice, John Holt: > I wish to upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3 and would appreciate knowing if > Panther uses my current printer driver for my Canon i320 or does 10.3 add a > newer driver, or do I need to get the 10.3 driver fron Canon's website and >...

Canon S300 printer not working.
I convinced my boss to go linux at work telling him that I had no problems with Fedora 3 at home. Unfortunately I look like a dick now. At work there is a Canon s300 printer. When I booted after installing Kudzu came up and asked me if I wanted it to configure the printer. I said yes. Upon trying to print nothing happened. No pages, No error message. I looked in the queue icon on the panel and it said that it was printing (a lie) I opened "Printing" under "System Settings" to examine it. Everything looked fine except for the queue type page. It had it going to /de...

Canon IR1230 and Linux drivers
Hi! We habe the Printer Canon IR 1230 at our company. http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Work/Products/Office_Print_Copy_Solutions/Digital_IR_Series/iR1230/index.asp?ComponentID=25582&SourcePageID=26027#4 Well, i think this is a Windows-Only Printer. But i am just wondering if andbody has this device up and running under Linux, maybe with some special hacks. Thanks, Chrissie. ...

canon MP370 linux drivers
Has anybody seen or got linux drivers for this printer/scanner/copier. or substitue drivers... thanks in advance..David willy cokebottle <betbank@ureach.com> wrote in message news:<40886278$0$12740$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>... > Has anybody seen or got linux drivers for this printer/scanner/copier. or > substitue drivers... thanks in advance..David See <http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-MultiPASS_C3500> which may be similar enough to work. ...

Question about the waste ink tank in Canon IP5000 (and other Canon printers)
I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the printer, and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are replaced. So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridges with new ones before an error message appears saying the tank is full? Anyone taken a printer to Canon to have the tank emptied? How much did they charge? The amount of ink consumed in the cleaning cycles when replacing tanks is minimal, but cleaning cycles also occur based upon printer usage, time intervals and when requested by the user. The deep cleaning routines use the most ink. There have been many discussions on this newsgroup and in other forums about the 'waste ink tank is full' messages and how to reset the printer. Taking the printer to a repair facility may end up costing nearly as much as a new printer. The tank isn't a bottle or container as the name implies. It is an absorbent pad. If you don't go overboard with deep cleaning cycles the chances are good that you'll not ever see this message for your printer. -- Ron "Hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message news:42eb7fa8$0$78157$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the > printer, > and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are > replaced. > So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridg...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Most Popular Canon Toner, Canon Ink Cartridges, Canon Ribbons
The Buy Toner Online sells Canon Brands Toners, Ink cartridges and Ribbons. The Buy Toner Online is an ISO 9001&140001 certified online shopping site, which provides 100 percent unconditional guarantee to the products it sells. The Buy Online Toner displays top selling products separately to enable the customer to choose their product easily without confusion. Buy Toner online sales by major Canon products are below: BJ Printers Canon BJ 5 Canon BJ 10 Canon BJ 100 Canon BJ 20 Canon BJ 200 Canon BJ 230 BJC printers Canon BJC 1000 Canon BJC 1010 Canon BJ...

Web resources about - Canon S300 printer and GPL driver from canon.jp - comp.os.linux

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Recycled printer toner to be used in new road surface in Canberra
Recycled printer toner powder will be trialled in a new asphalt mix designed to reduce the ACT's carbon footprint.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

You can trick a smartphone fingerprint scanner in just 15 minutes with a printer
It's possible to trick a smartphone's fingerprint scanner with just 15 minutes, a regular inkjet printer, and some special ink. Researchers ...

3D printer helps Chihuahua without front legs get around
Leo, a Chihuahua from California, may have been born without his front legs; but thanks to a prosthetic, that isn't slowing him down