home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie)

My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that.
My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64.
How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between
both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt?
I have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the
Windows workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but
not access any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to
share my printer.

In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf
file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please.
comp.os.linux 3406 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"GateKeeper" <GateKeeper@earth1ink.net> wrote in message
> My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that.
> My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64.
> How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between
> both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt? I
> have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the Windows
> workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but not access
> any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to share my
> printer.
>
> In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf
> file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please.
Is your wife's Windows XP system formatted with NTFS or FAT32? It seems
simpler if both of you are sharing a partition with the same formatting. You
may have to add a new partition to your wife's system somehow.

0
mu8ja0i (42)

can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network #2
The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running windows 98SE on the machine I am sharing the printers from and XP and 2000 on two other machines ont he network. I can see both printers via my network neighborhood but am unable to print to the printer attached to the USB port. The printer attached to the parallel port prints just fine both locally and via the network. the printer attached to the USB port is an Lexmark 1100 series the p...

Windows and Linux Home network
I have both a Linux box and a Windows XP machine. I would like to connect the two through a switch that I have, without connecting the larger network. Basicaly I want to create a small home network without connecting to an outside provider. I am pretty new to networking, so I need instructions from start to finish, from setting up IPs and masks to testing the connection betweek the two. ...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?
I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files contained in the backup. Is there a way to restore these files using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux? Best, Myles mylesv@gmail.com wrote: > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files > contained in...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Re: For Windows-techies : Going from XP Home to XP Pro because of SAS #2
People, I sent an email to SAS support asking if sas would run on windows XP home. They basically said, they have not tested sas with xp home and do not intend to test that combination. Kind of disappointing Dave -----Original Message----- From: ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK [mailto:ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK] Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 4:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: For Windows-techies : Going from XP Home to XP Pro because of SAS In answer to the original question, were you to install XP Pro, the default action on this windows upgrade would be to not format your hard-drive. In or...

Windows ME
Hi folks, Basic questions, I'm afraid, but I never was much good with wet string. I'm in the process of setting up a home network like this: Windows ME Red Hat 7.3 Network card: Network card: IP: 192.168.1.1 --------------------------- IP: 192.168.1.2 Name: homer Name: lisa Modem: IP: DHCP assigned by ISP How do I associate lisa's name with it's IP address? There is a file in Red Hat where you add the entries but I can't fine a reference to the M...

Access Windows XP Home from Linux
Hello, I am trying to access Windows XP Home from Redhat 9 Linux. I don't have the samba server installed on Linux, nor do I care to. The windows machine: Username: USER Password: 1234 NetBIOS name: HOME1 Workgroup: MSHOME smbclient version: 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix $ smbclient -L HOME1 added interface ip=192.168.0.20 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0 Password: Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager] Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- IPC$ IPC Remote IPC ...

windows 95 and xp home network
I was wanting to know what protocals, clients, and servies I need to have to get my little network going. The basic pourpose of the network is to do some file and printer sharing, share my dial-up connection, and some old games that i have too. Thanks Matt -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

linux box on XP home network
Please be patient with me; it's been 10 years since I played with Linux and I've forgotten a LOT. Not to mention, the last time I played with Linux I had one computer on a dial-up, not 4 computers on a home LAN. The situation. I have a cable modem. Attached to the cable modem is a four-port router. Attached to the router are 3 desktops running Windows XP and one laptop running Mandrake 10. I just installed Mandrake on the laptop last night. (FWIW, it's a Dell Inspiron 8100 with a built-in ethernet card.) The laptop can reach the internet. I can browse the web. But I...

Windows XP Home and Apache 2
Hi All I want to learn PHP and all that neat stuff but I am having issues getting Apache working. First question, can I set it up on XP home? An if so, can somebody please tell me how to configure my pc as I'm not getting errors from Apache (I think I've worked it out!) Regards Dillon Mantle Okay, I worked it out. But know when I want to run PHPnuke nothing happens. I've worked out that I have to set up the server to run PHP files. HOw do I do this? DillonMantle@gmail.com wrote in news:1110384529.833720.248990@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com: > Okay, I worked it out. But k...

Windows XP Home and Apache 2
Hi All I want to learn PHP and all that neat stuff but I am having issues getting Apache working. First question, can I set it up on XP home? An if so, can somebody please tell me how to configure my pc as I'm not getting errors from Apache (I think I've worked it out!) Regards Dillon Mantle Okay, I worked it out. But know when I want to run PHPnuke nothing happens. I've worked out that I have to set up the server to run PHP files. HOw do I do this? DillonMantle@gmail.com wrote in news:1110384529.833720.248990@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com: > Okay, I worked it out. But k...

Microsoft extends XP Home 2 =?windows-1252?Q?years=97for_budge?= =?windows-1252?Q?t_laptops_only?=
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080403-microsoft-to-give-xp-stay-of-executionfor-budget-laptops.html > Microsoft extends XP Home 2 years�for budget laptops only > > By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 03, 2008 - 02:41PM CT > > Windows XP Home Edition has been given a two-year reprieve by Microsoft. Previously scheduled to be pulled from shelves less than three months from now, XP Home will be available at least through June 2010, and possibly later. In fact, AP is reporting that XP will remain available for a full year after the next version of Windows is released. ...

Windows Xp Pro Home Networking question
Hey all and Happy Holidays-newbie here trying to set up home network. I have two computers, run by a Linksys Router. I have the work group name, and name of computer set up on each machine. No problem there. Now the problem; From the machine I'm typing on; I can't read computer number 2, and vice-versa. Do I need to disable Windows and McAfee firewalls??? Or am I missing some settings? Thanks in advance- pe2 "pe2" <pe2@dalejrfan.net> skrev i en meddelelse news:2azkh.2761$%M1.2751@trnddc08... > Hey all and Happy Holidays-newbie here tryi...

linux server as subdomain on windows home network?
Hi all, I have a home Windows network with a static IP address. I am new to Linux and would like to add a Linux server to my network. Here's my setup and what I'd like to do: 1) A domain name points to my static IP address, which is a Windows 2003 Server. I'm using DHCP on the server to assign IP addresses dynamically to machines on the network, which get their connection through a D-Link hub (this is my current setup). 2) I'd like to add a Linux box configured as a server, and create a subdomain for it, so that myDomain.net still points to my windows server, but mySubdomain....

Problem with Windows XP -> Home networking
Hello, I have 3 computers in a small home network (comp1,comp2 and comp3), all using Windows XP Pro. I can see and ping all machines from all the computers. But: I can only browse comp1 from all computers. When I try to browse comp2 or comp3, I get the error message underneath. I try to copy the settings from comp1 as much as possible, but no success. I have tried "all tricks" found on the Internet, e.g.: - Enable NetBios over TCP/IP - Disable firewall - Enable DHCP - Chosen advanced folder options. In the security-tab, I can't find and add other users than my local...

Windows XP Pro/Home Networking Problem
Hi, I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the internet. I have also successfully connected them together by way of the workgroup function. Each of these PCs is shown on the others. The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared Documents folder on the laptop. While, the Shared Documents folders on the desktops can be accessed from the others. The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP Professional. Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this. Thanks & regards, What is the error m...

Networking XP Home with Windows 98 problem.
I had a network of two windows 98 computers and one ME computer. It worked fine until I tried adding a windows XP Home computer to the network. I used the network wizard in XP and according to the directions ran the XP networking wizard on all of the other computers. I can get to the windows 98 computers from the XP maching but I can not get to anything from the other computers. I can ping. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al Is your guest account enabled? - and are your 98pces set to log on to the network? - if not you will not succed in connecting your l...

Windows XP Pro/Home Networking Problem
Hi, I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the internet. I have also successfully connected them together by way of the workgroup function. Each of these PCs is shown on the others. The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared Documents folder on the laptop. While, the Shared Documents folders on the desktops can be accessed from the others. The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP Professional. Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this. Thanks & regards, What is the error m...

Connect XP Home to Windows 2000 Network
Trying to set up a peer to peer Windows 2000 network between 2 computers and share the Internet. One is windows 2000 desktop and the other is an xp laptop. I'm sharing internet and I don't have room on the laptop for two NICs so I'm forced to network through windows 2000. I end up with a windows 2000 network with one computer running xp. Problem is the same though, I can't get any of this to work out. Any ideas? I know the previous post by Josh is similar but thought there might be a way for my situation to work out. Thanks, Craig ...

Connect XP Home to Windows 2000 Network
Trying to set up a peer to peer Windows 2000 network between 2 computers and share the Internet. One is windows 2000 desktop and the other is an xp laptop. I'm sharing internet and I don't have room on the laptop for two NICs so I'm forced to network through windows 2000. I end up with a windows 2000 network with one computer running xp. Problem is the same though, I can't get any of this to work out. Any ideas? I know the previous post by Josh is similar but thought there might be a way for my situation to work out. Thanks, Craig ...

Networking Issue with Microsoft Windows XP Home
A users laptop has come into my office with a particularly unusual problem. It cant connect to any website, even though the proxy settings are correct. When I attempt to connect to any website I get "The page cannot be displayed". I am able to "ping" machines connected to the LAN (by name and IP address) and even connect to them via Windows sharing. I am also able to "ping" the machine in question from my workstation. I can ping websites if i know the IP address but not by name(when I do I get the following error "Ping request could not find hos...

Home Network
Just purchased an HP Deskjet 5850 network printer for the home network which includes 5 PCs and now the printer. I have DSL service and the primary router is a Linksys BEFSR71 (3 computers connected to this one) and then I've run a line out to a second router (SMC700VBR) in another area of the house. The second router has two PCs and the HP 5850. A crossover cable connects the two routers. While I can connect to the printer with the PCs that are on the same router as the printer, I cannot connect to the printer from the PCs that are on the primary router. HP users guide...

setting up a home network w/2 XP machines
I am setting up two XP machines on a home network, and I am having trouble accessing each machine. I have a Linksys router connected to cable modem. IN going into setup the network I have tried both connecting using the Gateway option and also using the Hub option. Both machines have the same workgroup name. Although I can see the other PC, an error message appears indicating I either don't have permission or the device is not accessible. Any suggestions. This should be simple... Had a similiar problem, and it turned out that I had Norton Internet security installed. If you do, you ...

Web resources about - home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie) - comp.os.linux

Upstream (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , upstream refers to the direction in which data can be transferred from the client to the server ( uploading ). This ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o...
10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o... CNNMoney Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) Since 2000, when the ...

Intel Turns Its Focus to 5G Networking
At the Mobile World Congress show, the giant chip maker unveils a range of partnerships and products designed to accelerate the transition to ...

How To Combine Networking And Playdates
Business networking doesn't always have to take you away from your kids. Here's how to get them involved. Networking is vital for any career. ...

Networking: You're Probably Doing It Wrong
If you were asked to take each person you know and categorize them under just one label: colleague, friend, relative, or associate—could you? ...

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations

Link Trucker is a Tiny Networking Giant
If you’re a networking professional, there are professional tools for verifying that everything’s as it should be on the business end of an Ethernet ...