Setting up a secure Linux system (Tails) needs secure email server (how?)

I'm trying to learn how to set up a secure Linux system (e.g., Tails,
Tor, vpn, etc.) for privacy reasons but I'm hung up on the setup of a
private email address on that Linux system (using Thunderbird).

The problem isn't the mail user agent so much as the mail server, so this
question is mostly whether you know of a free email server that does not
require a mobile number or alternative email address that can be used
with Tails that will maintain my privacy on both sides.

I tried Yahoo, and of course it fails instantly because it requires a
mobile phone number.

I *tried* Gmail as the mail server, but, on Tor, Gmail will eventually
disable your account within only a few days (because the IP address
bounces all over). At first, Gmail asks where you normally log in from
(which you get when you first sign in), but then it starts *requiring* a
phone number.

I can use Mailinator, but it's public (which negates the whole privacy)
thing.

Of course I can buy a burner SIM and burner PHONE for cash at a store not
nearby (the IMEI has to be used only once away from home at a hotspot
sans cameras and then the phone must be left on a subway so that it's
used by someone else the rest of the time).

The less money paid the better because of the inherent trackability of
electronic payments (and yes, we can buy pay visa cards, I know).

But, it's MUCH SIMPLER to simply go, from home, on a free public VPN and
then use the Tor Browser Bundle to sign up for a free email that does not
require a mobile number or alternative email address.

So, this question is simply do you know of a free email server that does
not require a mobile number or alternative email address that can be used
with Tails?

If you ask who my adversary is, I don't have one in mind. I am simply
wishing to be anonymous when I send email. Really anonymous. Not just
anonymous to the recipient, but also anonymous to the mail server.

Do you know of *any* free email server available to the public that does
not require a mobile number or alternative email address to set it up and
use it and that will work from a variety of incoming IP addresses?

comp.os.linux 3406 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2015-07-25 11:00, M.L. wrote:

> I'm trying to learn how to set up a secure Linux system (e.g., Tails,
> Tor, vpn, etc.) for privacy reasons but I'm hung up on the setup of a
> private email address on that Linux system (using Thunderbird).
>
> The problem isn't the mail user agent so much as the mail server, so this
> question is mostly whether you know of a free email server that does not
> require a mobile number or alternative email address that can be used
> with Tails that will maintain my privacy on both sides.
>
> I tried Yahoo, and of course it fails instantly because it requires a
> mobile phone number.
>
> I *tried* Gmail as the mail server, but, on Tor, Gmail will eventually
> disable your account within only a few days (because the IP address
> bounces all over). At first, Gmail asks where you normally log in from
> (which you get when you first sign in), but then it starts *requiring* a
> phone number.
>
> I can use Mailinator, but it's public (which negates the whole privacy)
> thing.
>
> Of course I can buy a burner SIM and burner PHONE for cash at a store not
> nearby (the IMEI has to be used only once away from home at a hotspot
> sans cameras and then the phone must be left on a subway so that it's
> used by someone else the rest of the time).
>
> The less money paid the better because of the inherent trackability of
> electronic payments (and yes, we can buy pay visa cards, I know).
>
> But, it's MUCH SIMPLER to simply go, from home, on a free public VPN and
> then use the Tor Browser Bundle to sign up for a free email that does not
> require a mobile number or alternative email address.
>
> So, this question is simply do you know of a free email server that does
> not require a mobile number or alternative email address that can be used
> with Tails?
>
> If you ask who my adversary is, I don't have one in mind. I am simply
> wishing to be anonymous when I send email. Really anonymous. Not just
> anonymous to the recipient, but also anonymous to the mail server.
>
> Do you know of *any* free email server available to the public that does
> not require a mobile number or alternative email address to set it up and
> use it and that will work from a variety of incoming IP addresses?

Try nym remailer.

Anonymous

[NEWS] Linux based routers *wormed* and the Linux desktop and servers are suppose to be secure? Not if humans beings created it and use it that Linux is secure -- noway.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/psyb0t_home_networking_worm/ <copied> Vulnerable devices include any home router or modem that uses Linux Mipsel, has an administration interface, sshd, or telnet in a DMZ, and employs a weak password. Once the malware takes hold, it locks legitimate users out of the device by blocking telnet, sshd, and web access. It then makes the devices part of a botnet. The researchers said they first learned of the worm while investigating DDoS attacks that hit DroneBL's infrastructure two weeks ago. <end copy> Inspector Thumper wrote: &g...

Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Er
Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Erpross Live (in German only) * Arudius * Operator Which, if any, do you use? Why? Can you compare/contrat these tools? Which would you reccommend to an aspiring security professional? Thanks! Alex Begin <1132252106.677760.297830@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> On 2005-11-17, alex <alex-voz@list.ru> wrote: [snip: ``security linux live cds''] > Which, if any, ...

Another server device to secure the already secure Linux server?
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5129950.html What's next - armed, jackbooted Linux thugs and vicious Dobermans protecting your server rooms? DFS, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use, wrote: > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5129950.html > > What's next - armed, jackbooted Linux thugs and vicious Dobermans protecting > your server rooms? You failed your IQ test, didn't you? -- Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon 7:17pm up 10 days 22:40, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.00 On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:20:03 -0400, DFS wro...

[News] Linux Security Myths Busted (Or Why Linux is More Secure)
Top 10 Linux FUD Patterns, Part 5 ,----[ Quote ] | FUDsters will argue that any security software for which the source code is | freely available to the public is inherently not secure. This is based on the | assumption that the source code will either reveal the secret functionality | that makes the security software work or expose bugs in the security software | itself that can be exploited as well. | | First, if someone cannot open their source because they are afraid it may | reveal secret functionality, then it wasn’t properly designed from the start. | The worst-possible exam...

[News] PIKA Makes GNU/Linux VoIP Servers, SYNAQ Makes GNU/Linux Mail/Security Servers

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] [Linux] Japans Makes Linux More Secure, India Builds Own Linux
CREST Begins Project to Increase Linux Security and Reliability ,----[ Quote | Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) fortifies a project aimed | at strengthening security and reliability of Linux and other embedded | OSs as part of its "CREST (Core Research for Evolutional Science | and Technology)" initiative. `---- http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070530/133371/ Getting to know the Indian Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mr. Mathew added that the development team intended to localise | the OS into all 22 official Indian languages. "The move is aimed | to provide co...

Microsoft refuses to cooperate with security experts
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=21679 Microsoft, Security Vendors Get to the Kernel of the Matter Source: IT Business Edge | Priority: Fortifying Network Security | Topic: Application Planning and Implementation Date Published: 11/3/2006 With Joe Wilcox, senior analyst, JupiterResearch [www.jupiterresearch.com]. Microsoft and other security vendors are discussing what level of access should be provided to the kernel of the 64-bit version of the coming Windows Vista operating system. Question: What is the issue? Wilcox: The technology, which is referred to by one of two names: PatchG...

Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security
Read it and weep, Linux losers. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005 attacks. A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 +0000, Dr Alw is a loser wrote: > Read it and weep, Linux lose...

Linux is more secure than any other OS
Excerpts from an interview with Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin I also think more consumers are being driven toward Linux for a variety of reasons, in addition to the confidence and trust they have about privacy and security related to the platform. The transparency of the code and development process gives increasingly knowledgeable and aware consumers an option they feel good about. .. .. .. I don�t think it is a stretch to predict phones based on Linux will dominate. Android, Tizen, Ubuntu, Firefox, and more show that Linux can drive innovation in the mobile...

Security -- for Linux Server
Hello to All, I have a linux box which remain open all the time and is having internet connection. Actually I use this box for remote login. I am a basic user of linux and do not know how to protech it. What I noticed in secure file under /var/log ============================================== ct 10 04:35:45 Vicky sshd[5532]: Did not receive identification string from 201.25.192.198 Oct 10 04:45:55 Vicky sshd[5552]: Failed password for root from 201.25.192.198 port 38882 ssh2 Oct 10 04:48:06 Vicky sshd[5554]: Did not receive identification string from 64.182.3.46 Oct 10 0...

Web resources about - Setting up a secure Linux system (Tails) needs secure email server (how?) - comp.os.linux

Help:Contents/Account settings and maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campaign setting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A campaign setting is usually a fictional world which serves as a setting for a role-playing game or wargame campaign. A campaign is a series ...

Privacy Setting For New Facebook Users Aged 13-17 Now Defaults To ‘Friends’
Facebook is changing the initial default privacy setting for users aged 13 through 17 to friends, from friends of friends, but those teen users ...

Facebook changes default privacy settings for new users to friends-only
Facebook announced today a shift in privacy settings for new users. Now, when someone signs up for a profile, their default posting status is ...

Bridie O'Donnell emotional after setting world hour record
An emotional Bridie O'Donnell rates cycling's world hour record as the best achievement of her life. She reached 46.882km, breaking the 46.273km ...

Bob Oatley: Setting his own course
He owns three Bentleys, four homes, a tropical island paradise and a super-maxi yacht. But, whatever you do, don't go calling wine magnate Bob ...

Turkey setting ‘poor example’ for freedom of expression: Biden
Turkey setting ‘poor example’ for freedom of expression: Biden

Schadenfreude Open Thread: Jeb Now Setting Fire to Big Stacks of Cash
Jeb! Super PAC mailing out New Hampshire voters mini DVD players with charging cable and documentary. pic.twitter.com/Qez5B5ZRxD — sean (@SeanMcElwee) ...

Investors dumped record-setting amounts of cash into startups in 2015, but it's all starting to slow ...
2015 was a banner year for venture capital: investors poured $128.5 billion into ventures, and 71 startups became billion-dollar companies. ...

What Matters Is the Decision-Making Setting
... Rather, our skepticism of allowing democratically made collective “choices” to supersede choices made privately in private-property settings ...