What email-format do current government departments want?

This baby-talk query, composed for other fora:

When we started email, some decades ago: each key-press generated one
character, which became one byte in the email. Later, methods evolved
to encode and wrap pictures and pdf-documents, as attachments to email.

An original document keyed-in as plain text, uses from 2 to 10 times the
number of bytes, when converted to a pdf file; which also slows the
search process and email transmission rate.

Of course, this increase in size is encouraged by the software industry,
as part of the continual pressure to *upgrade* [buy my stuff].

A new government department [in South Africa] is failing to respond to
my emails, and the telephones have an answering-machine only.
This department's [www.cipc.co.za] publications show an attempt to be
internet based; and they would obviously follow the current practice
as sold to them by their "software vendors".

Their written instructions are to email completed Form X, which is
available as http://............pdf

Since Form X must be signed, it must be converted to paper and back to
bytes. How else would you do this?

Since Form X states: "attach to this form a typed document..";
must the several of such needed "typed documents" be converted from
plain text, to pdf, and be attached to the email?

Do I understand correctly that this government department cannot/will-not
read plain-text email; they require all text to be delivered as separate
attachments?

==TIA.

0
no
4/8/2015 4:42:14 AM
comp.os.linux 3406 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 04:42:14 +0000, no.top.post wrote:
> Their written instructions are to email completed Form X, which is
> available as http://............pdf
>
> Since Form X must be signed, it must be converted to paper and back to
> bytes. How else would you do this?
>
> Since Form X states: "attach to this form a typed document..";
> must the several of such needed "typed documents" be converted from
> plain text, to pdf, and be attached to the email?
>
> Do I understand correctly that this government department
> cannot/will-not read plain-text email; they require all text to be
> delivered as separate attachments?

The signature is graphical and can't be represented in old-school
text only. Your related message to them about the pdf document
could still be plain text.

Adobe and others have some forms of electronic signing, but that's
probably not what the gov you mention wants. As you say, to sign you
have to print it out, write your signature, scan it in. Then attach
the resulting image or pdf to the email you send to them.
0
Joe
4/8/2015 1:47:55 PM
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 13:47:55 +0000, Joe Beanfish wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 04:42:14 +0000, no.top.post wrote:
>> Their written instructions are to email completed Form X, which is
>> available as http://............pdf
>>
>> Since Form X must be signed, it must be converted to paper and back to
>> bytes. How else would you do this?
>>
>> Since Form X states: "attach to this form a typed document..";
>> must the several of such needed "typed documents" be converted from
>> plain text, to pdf, and be attached to the email?

Isn't snail mail an option? It looks like it could be a more optimal
solution in this case.

>> Do I understand correctly that this government department
>> cannot/will-not read plain-text email; they require all text to be
>> delivered as separate attachments?
>
> The signature is graphical and can't be represented in old-school text
> only. Your related message to them about the pdf document could still be
> plain text.
>
> Adobe and others have some forms of electronic signing, but that's
> probably not what the gov you mention wants. As you say, to sign you
> have to print it out, write your signature, scan it in. Then attach the
> resulting image or pdf to the email you send to them.
0
Aleksandar
4/8/2015 4:05:11 PM
>>> Their written instructions are to email completed Form X, which is
>>> available as http://............pdf
>>>
>>> Since Form X must be signed, it must be converted to paper and back to
>>> bytes. How else would you do this?
>>>
>>> Since Form X states: "attach to this form a typed document..";
>>> must the several of such needed "typed documents" be converted from
>>> plain text, to pdf, and be attached to the email?
>
> Isn't snail mail an option? It looks like it could be a more optimal
> solution in this case.

Or fax!
--
"Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw
from us. We need hours of aimless wandering or spates of time sitting on

 From: Aleksandar Kuktin
 From: Ant
 > Or fax!
This wasn't a technical question as is seen by my careful wording
[that's why i *HATE* Debian 'lose talk': "you may want to..tra..la..la"]
"What email-format do current government departments want?"

It's a socio/political question.
Since nothing works in Africa other than by bribery, one could start
by asking what system the big vendor/s would have 'sold' the South
African government, to be able to claim to have the latest most
modern computerised-system. [Which is non-functional like the rest...
form above function: shave your head & wear 60's pointy Italian shoes,
and if that doesn't work, try a suit & then a Mbenz....]

I suspect that eg. 5 'documents' are expected to be sent as 5 separate
attatchments, and NOT as I've done here by just pasting the essential
contents of the 3 responses [above].

So perhaps I could find out if/how the same system is actually working
somewhere.

Or as the lawers say: "why use ten words, when ten thousand will do".

==WDYS?

0
no
4/10/2015 3:26:17 AM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]
On 2015-04-10, no.top.post@gmail.com <no.top.post@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a socio/political question.

It's trolling from a long-time troll.  You're catching fewer and fewer
fish with every troll.

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

Keith
4/11/2015 12:49:11 AM
In article <8l7mvbxbg9.ln2@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>, Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.] <- screw U
> On 2015-04-10, no.top.post@gmail.com <no.top.post@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's a socio/political question.
>
> It's trolling from a long-time troll.  You're catching fewer and fewer
> fish with every troll.

Should I be flattered by your continual attention,
or is it just some automaton programmed to burp ?

> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
> (try just my userid to email me)
> AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
> see X- headers for PGP signature information
Here's an interesting IMO technical point:
I've mistakenly used Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
which doesn't exist, instead of comp.os.linux.misc
But the NNTP server didn't cancel my post.

And here's a slant on the original [essentially socio/economic] question:-
> >> Is Acrobat reader just gone from Linux now?  How do you
> >> substitute for it?

] I've had success using PdfTK to deal with US GOV (IRS) 'fill in form' PDF
] files.
===
Thanks for mentioning 'fill in govmnt forms'!
How does that system work; obviously designed by the big software vendors?
Eg. when you need to 'attatch' several text-files to the pdf-form.

Must you convert each such text-file to pdf?

Or can you append the text-files as plain-text to the email-carrier which
carries the pdf-attatchment/s?

== TIA.

0
no
4/12/2015 2:24:13 AM
Troll or no troll, I'll like add some personal closure.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 03:26:17 +0000, no.top.post wrote:

> In article <mg3bib$4p4$1@dont-email.me>, Joe Beanfish
> <joebeanfish@nospam.duh> wrote:
>
>  From: Aleksandar Kuktin ...
>> Isn't snail mail an option? It looks like it could be a more optimal
>> solution in this case.
>  From: Ant
>  > Or fax!
> ..
> This wasn't a technical question as is seen by my careful wording
> [that's why i *HATE* Debian 'lose talk': "you may want to..tra..la..la"]
> "What email-format do current government departments want?"
>
> It's a socio/political question.

Oh, okay. Ain't interested that much is discussing obtuse government
practices. Otherwise, I would begin with a tract on ineffectiveness of
signatures as an authentication mechanism.

> Since nothing works in Africa other than by bribery,

Nor anywhere else - don't flatter yourself.
0
Aleksandar

Formatting email body when sending email from a z/OS system
NOTICE: All information in and attached to the e-mail(s) below may be = proprietary, confidential, privileged and otherwise protected from = improper or erroneous disclosure. If you are not the sender's intended = recipient, you are not authorized to intercept, read, print, retain, = copy, forward, or disseminate this message. If you have erroneously = received this communication, please notify the sender immediately by = phone (704-758-1000) or by e-mail and destroy all copies of this message = (electronic, paper, or otherwise). Thank you. I am having an issue when I send emails from ...

Re: Formatting email body when sending email from a z/OS system
From: Horne, Jim - James S On Friday July 13, 2007 at 6:00 AM Jim Horne wrote: > I am having an issue when I send emails from my z/OS system using PUTs > in a DATA step. My file definition is > FILENAME techserv EMAIL > TYPE='text/html' > TO=('janeroe@erehwon.laiceps' > ) > FROM='janeroe@erehwon.laiceps' > SUBJECT="Jobs running high CPU compared to Wall Clock" > ; I just tested this and got your desired output after I changed the type to 'Text/Plain'. ...

Re: Formatting email body when sending email from a z/OS system #3
You have specified text/html in your file type. HTML does not honour or understand a carriage return in the same way that text editors do. If you want a line break in a standard text file, then using separate PUT statements, or inserting the "/" character, or inserting the byte values for <CR> and <LF> will give you a new text line. For HTML, you need to provide one of the mark-ups that denote a line break. The simplest is a <BR> string which forces a new line. You can also define paragraphs by using the opening and closing paragraph markers <P> and </P...

Re: Formatting email body when sending email from a z/OS system #2

[News] Indian Government Likely Wants Linux; Canadian Web Hosting Picks Cloud Linux

Negroponte wants to dump linux and make Windows the sole OS on the OLPC laptop
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080422/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2 <quote> For about a year, however, Microsoft has been working to get a slimmed-down version of Windows to run on XO laptops. As a result, Negroponte said Tuesday that he expects XOs to soon have a "dual-boot" option, meaning users would be able to run Windows or Sugar. Eventually, Negroponte added, Windows might be the sole operating system, and Sugar would be educational software running on top of it. That might disappoint advocates of open-source software who helped bankroll OLPC and cheered the challeng...

converting OS/2 icons to a linux format
I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...) I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format. Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them over? TIA Jonesy -- Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __ 38.24...

Format Hard Drive for Linux ONLY OS Install
How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no dual boot) Install? Thanx, Rick On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:57:54 -0400, Windwood wrote: > How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no dual boot) Install? > Thanx, > Rick You can use fdisk. See the Partition HOWTO for detailed information. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html -- Thomas D. Shepard Sorry, you can't email me. (Email address is fake.) On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:57:54 -0400, Windwood <ricrac@fuse.net> wrote: > How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no d...

I want. I want. I want
If I told them I have built a couple of robots and can program a Pic micro do you think they might consider me. ( I do 16f84's and 16873's ) :-) Rob On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:10:46 +0000, Rob Last <rob@robsbots.co.uk> wrote: >If I told them I have built a couple of robots and can program a Pic >micro do you think they might consider me. > >( I do 16f84's and 16873's ) :-) > >Rob > No, you will need to improve your writing skills so we know who "they" are. Should have been a reply to the Engineer Jobs..... Si...

OS X wants to initialize linux drive
Every time I start up OS X it discovers my Linux partitions, says that it wants to initialize them. Is there anyway I can mark the partitions so I will just ignore the partition permanently? I checked in the Disk Utility and there is no option for this, that I can find. Fred > Every time I start up OS X it discovers my Linux partitions, says that it > wants to initialize them. Is there anyway I can mark the partitions so I > will just ignore the partition permanently? > > I checked in the Disk Utility and there is no option for this, that I can > find. That might be...

Linux, Linux, Linux

I want, I want, I WANT?
Hello. One thing keeps me amazed these days. ROM v2.00 for the HP49G+ addresses so many issues that were in v1.23, and adds so much functionality. And don't kid yourself, you do not have HP to thank for very much of it! Anyways, after this realease I see a huge number of people (many of whom I've never seen contribute with anything before here) asking over and over again for this and that feature to be changed or added. Well, what made this news group and this community what it is today, was the fact that if we wanted something changed or added, we did it ourselves! Where do you thin...

[News] [Linux] Japan's Government Moves to Linux, Berlin Still Needs Some Prodding from Government
Japanese Government to Embrace Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle Japan is said to be leading the effort, which could launch | as early as next month. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1 Berlin says 'nein' to open-source migration ,----[ Quote ] | The German federal government in Berlin, which is an advocate for | open-source software in the public sector, may have some lobbying | to do at its own front door. | | [...] | | In 2002, the German Federal Ministry of the Interior and IBM Deutschland | GmbH signed a deal that allows public sector groups to recei...

Web resources about - What email-format do current government departments want? - comp.os.linux

Wallace Shawn Andre Gregory Discuss Top 10 Favorite Films In One Act Play Format Email Article
⌂ United States ⚏ NATIONAL TOURS OFF-BROADWAY CABARET A-D ALABAMA - Birmingham ALASKA - Anchorage ARIZONA - Mesa ARIZONA - Phoenix ARIZONA - ...

IKEA Corporate Email Address Format
Naturally, it being IKEA, we have to put the email together ourselves. What do you do with the extra names, though?

Up the Chance Your Email Gets Opened with a Mobile-Friendly Format
... You can increase the likelihood that your email will get opened by front-loading the beginning of your email with eye-catching information. ...

Inbox on the web now lets you format text in email replies
Google is backfilling a key feature in the web version of its fancy email app, Inbox . You can now format the text in a reply, something that ...

Google Testing New Email Subscription Ad Format
Google is experimenting with its Google Adwords offerings, attempting to go beyond regular text ads with Google Email Subscription Ads, allowing ...

Email Attachment is in a Different ZIP Format ? Convert It Online
How to convert zip to rar format ? How to extract files from 7z or tar files. Or you have an email attachment that .tar and you have no clue ...

Vox experimented with a new format for its daily email and the audience really hated it
... the ever-crowding arena of news-roundup emails. Vox Sentences’ major differentiators are its timing (evening rather than morning) and its format ...

Wallace Shawn Andre Gregory Discuss Top 10 Favorite Films In One Act Play Format 201506 Email Article ...
⌂ United States ⚏ NATIONAL TOURS OFF-BROADWAY CABARET A-D ALABAMA - Birmingham ALASKA - Anchorage ARIZONA - Mesa ARIZONA - Phoenix ARIZONA - ...

Use Email to Convert Files into Different Formats
... how do you upload files from iPhone, Android or any other mobile browser. Sometimes clients will send you files in obscure formats as email ...