f



canonical vs non-canonical

hi all

ive got an understanding problem
im reading this book: operating systems: design and implementation
and it talks about cooked/canonical and raw/non-canonical modes
now, i dont really understand whats meant by that?
is there any chance for me to see the 2 things in action, just two
grasp whats being talked about here?

thanx,

martin

0
10/19/2006 10:12:34 PM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
708 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

sancho1980 wrote:
> hi all
>
> ive got an understanding problem
> im reading this book: operating systems: design and implementation
> and it talks about cooked/canonical and raw/non-canonical modes
> now, i dont really understand whats meant by that?
> is there any chance for me to see the 2 things in action, just two
> grasp whats being talked about here?

Hmm...can you point out specifically where it is?

I know that (as a rule of thumb, in math and physics at least),
canonical means "the normal way of doing something" or "the most
popular way of doing something". But I would think that it would have a
different meaning in operating systems theory than in math ;)

0
comradered (25)
10/20/2006 5:19:52 AM
first chapter, page 36/37

Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> sancho1980 wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > ive got an understanding problem
> > im reading this book: operating systems: design and implementation
> > and it talks about cooked/canonical and raw/non-canonical modes
> > now, i dont really understand whats meant by that?
> > is there any chance for me to see the 2 things in action, just two
> > grasp whats being talked about here?
>
> Hmm...can you point out specifically where it is?
>
> I know that (as a rule of thumb, in math and physics at least),
> canonical means "the normal way of doing something" or "the most
> popular way of doing something". But I would think that it would have a
> different meaning in operating systems theory than in math ;)

0
10/20/2006 5:34:33 AM
sancho1980 wrote:
> first chapter, page 36/37
>
Hmmm...well, the way it looks, "canonical mode" is POSIX's technical
term for "cooked mode". That basically means that it's the normal mode,
how someone would normally use the terminal.

And "noncanonical mode" is not the same as "raw mode".

"Raw mode" is where every character is not processed; instead it is
directly given to the program. It doesn't wait for the complete line to
be typed out either.

"Noncanonical Mode" is where a minimum number of characters to accept
and a time interval that determines how a read will be satisfied.

Hope that helps a little...

0
comradered (25)
10/20/2006 6:23:23 AM
> is there any chance for me to see the 2 things in action, just two
> grasp whats being talked about here?

Martin

If you have access to a GNU compatible system, eg. a Linux box, take a
look at
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/manuals/libs/glibc-2.3.2/libc_375.html
and
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Programming-HOWTO/x115.html.
Compile and run the samples there and you will grasp the difference!

Regards,
Bahman

0
b.movaqar (10)
10/20/2006 2:50:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Canon i850 vs Canon S820
I have a laser for b&w printing. I need a cheap photo printer, and after some research I've narrowed it down to these two. The S820 is going cheaper and has 6, not 4, cartridges. But the i850 has higher resolution, newer tech, and is maybe faster. Comments invited. ...

Canonical OS/2 vs. Fanfic-derived OS/2
With the recent announcement of Arca Noae's Blue Lion project (https://www.arcanoae.com/blue-lion-go/), this is a good time to answer - for once and for all - one of the most pressing questions of our time: Should we use canonical (i.e., IBM) versions of OS/2, or can we also accept 'fanfic' versions, such as Blue Lion? If we accept Blue Lion and similar as canonical, we run the very real risk of irrepairably distorting the OS/2verse forever. What we were handed from the heavens by IBM on four sacred floppy disks is absolute; only subsequent versions - as passed t...

Personal opinions on all-in-one's requested
Dear subscribers, You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and opinions regarding the printers mentioned above. By the way: Would buying separate parts make a big difference in quality? It is for my parents and an all-in-one looks easier for them, for they are not that young anymore ;-). But if their quality is poor, I would reconsider this. Thanks in advance! Sincere greetings, Rene Harrie wrote: > Dear subscribers, > > You would do me a big favor if You would tell me Your experiences and > opinions regarding the printers mentioned above. > By the way: Would buying separate parts make a big difference in > quality? It is for my parents and an all-in-one looks easier for > them, for they are not that young anymore ;-). But if their quality > is poor, I would reconsider this. > > Thanks in advance! > > Sincere greetings, > Rene Well, I got a 2110 a couple of weeks ago. So far the quality has been fine. I've not tested all of the features/quality settings yet though. It copies and scans fairly easily and with decent quality. On standard "normal" quality it prints text or text/color fairly fast. My one dislike is the software has a large install print for a bunch of printer/scanning software. That and the "auto-detect" status program seems kind of pointless when it tells me "! printer is not working or connected!" Well, duh its not turned ...

canon
was given a canon 360 cd laptop it was made about 1991. I had windows 98se installed on it. it has a cd rom and a floppy drive. put in a 10gig hdd but will only recognize 4gigs. has 16 megs ram will go to 32. the touchpad works but cannot get any mouse to work. can someone help with some solutions to the hdd,mouse and ram? thanks. ...

Canon
zakezuke wrote: >>I believe that they did not rank the IP6000 very highly not because it >>is a bad printer but Canon has others in the line that they (and I >>agree) are much better. An example would be the IP4000 and the IP5000. >> >> > >I think if you actualy read the articile they say "The iP6000D's >performance and quality for business applications make it a poor choice >as an all-around printer. > They do say that. >But its photo performance, quality, and >photo-printing features make it a reasonable choice if you want a >second printer specifically for photos." > Yes but they and also some other article I read (maybe pcworld) say that the IP4000/5000 is a step ahead. >In fact if you look at their >review on the ip8500 they basicly say the same thing "Text/graphics >quality and speed are good but not in the same league as photo quality >and speed.". > > The IP8500 is sort of a different animal. Basically they took the marvelous printer engine from the i9900 and put it in a standard format printer and then added duplexing and twin paper feeds. It does not have the pigmented black that is used in text. It is also not quite as fast as the i9900. >This is why I don't read PC mag but rather made my own judgement. > You have to know how to read PCMag. You do not look at every word but evaluate the co...

Canon Pixma iP6700D @ canon estore
Some people have been asking about this model. http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=205252&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=17251&top_category=12054 As a referb it's presently onsale for $40 plus shipping. The reason to be interested is not only the relativly low price, but the fact that canon seems to be abandoning a 6 tank inkjet, and in fact the Pixma MX970 IIRC doesn't use light cyan / magenta. I'm pretty pleased with mine, so I'm not going to bother, but the price is righ...

Canon MP 760 or Canon MP780
Hi, Have been trying to decide to buy a Canon MP760 or the MP 780 The 780 has the fax but no slide/negative holder in the scanner lid. Is one better than the other, are they used for different purposes eg home 760 office 780? If the MP 780 is the better machine would I be able to purchase an item so that I can scan negatives/slides? With thanks Aussie John > If the MP 780 is the better machine would I be able to purchase an item > so that I can scan negatives/slides? They are for the most part part per part the same machine with minor differences even other than the obvious 35mm scanning and doc feeder. mP750 - like the mp780 without fax modem onboard. mP780... you get the fax modem. Fax support sucks in this series but it sucks less for the mp780. I've been recently informed that you can at least fax from the PC on the mp780, something I was unsure about before. mP760 you get the front card slots, color tilt screen, more photo oriented features. You dont' get an xD card slot. Fax support? NONE... as in you would need a 3rd party application to fax directly from the scanbed, or scan to pdf then print to the fax device... i.e. your machine's fax modem. Nothing can beat a dedicated slide scanner, but the mp760 does an OK job. You tend to notice sides enlarged to 8x10 being a tad lowish in resolution, a tad blocky. 4x6 on the other hand look pretty good. ...

Canon s9000....i9000 and wide canons....
I was in CompUSA & saw "Photo Printasia" (Ilford) 13x19 Premium Photo Glossy Paper. 20 sheets for $23. BIG "Money back Guarantee" on the front.... Well the price was right.....so I tried it, not extensively, but at least 7 sheets.....and... WOW.....very close to Canon Photo Paper Pro!!!! I used the "High Gloss Photo Film", the instruction sheet recommends the "Photo Paper Pro" setting...... All in All.....for about a $1.23 a sheet (After Tax).....It's a hell of a deal...... They also recommend it for Epson, HP & Lexmark.......I have no clue on this, but my Canon S9000 LOVES it!!!! Joe ...

HP 5150 vs. Epson C84 vs. Canon i560
They are all about $100. 1. Which offers best print quality? 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? 4. Which is most refill friendly? "davefr" <nospam@net.com> wrote in message news:iom4uv0pc8fmjihk7qd2h98tjise6vnib8@4ax.com... > They are all about $100. > > 1. Which offers best print quality? I'd give this to the HP 5150. > 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? HP 5150. > 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? Canon i560/Epson C84 > 4. Which is most refill friendly? Don't know. I refuse to refill after the mess with my other cartridge. Epson and Canon cartridges are cheap enough. HP cartridges can be bought at a decent price from Costco. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 05:35:53 GMT, "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote: >"davefr" <nospam@net.com> wrote in message >news:iom4uv0pc8fmjihk7qd2h98tjise6vnib8@4ax.com... >> They are all about $100. >> >> 1. Which offers best print quality? > >I'd give this to the HP 5150. > >> 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? > >HP 5150. > >> 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? > >Canon i560/Epson C84 > I think canon has a slight to noticeable edge on price. >> 4. Which is most refill friendly? >...

Which Canons
Use pigmented inks? I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a second printer to use for times when waterproofing is necessary. I refuse to use Epson mainly because of the chipped carts but also because they can't be refilled (easily) or recycled - not to mention the clogging! I cannot seem to find the relevant info on Canon's site. Thanks On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:20:40 -0000, "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote: >Use pigmented inks? AFAIK, Canon is strictly dye. BUT, the 3rd party vendors will soon have ink sets for the more popular Canons. Watch---e.g.--- www.inksupply.com >I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a second printer >to use for times when waterproofing is necessary. I refuse to use Epson >mainly because of the chipped carts Inexpensive resetters are available > but also because they can't be refilled >(easily) I am refilling---not that hard. (Not trivail either) >or recycled - not to mention the clogging! Can be avoided and can be repaired. > I cannot seem to find >the relevant info on Canon's site. > >Thanks > ************************** Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif. Private e-mail: Just say no to "No". <cerridwen@celticnet.com> typed: > Use pigmented inks? I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a second > printer to use for times when waterproofing is necessary. I refuse to > use Epson...

Should Canon????
It would be of great benefit if Canon would choose 5 photographs of different types and supply prints using photo paper pro and their 2nd best photo glossy using each printer so one could compare results as well as features. I sort of get the feeling that they do not want us to be able to compare because we may find out that certain printers do not provide the marginal benefits for the marginal costs. And maybe others do. In article <7X1zd.3024$yV1.1368@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, measekite wrote: > It would be of great benefit if Canon would choose 5 photographs of > different types and supply prints using photo paper pro and their 2nd > best photo glossy using each printer so one could compare results as > well as features. I sort of get the feeling that they do not want us to > be able to compare because we may find out that certain printers do not > provide the marginal benefits for the marginal costs. > > And maybe others do. In Europe you can select images they will print on different printers and send to you. Or you can upload your own. -- Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works) Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se http://www.musimi.dk "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7X1zd.3024$yV1.1368@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > It would be of great benefit if Canon would choose 5 photographs of > different types and supply prints using ph...

Canon S300 with Canon Pro Photo Paper
I have been using my new Epson 825 printer (a 6-color type) for photos. Got the thing on Dec 26 and the photos look great. Too soon to say how long the ink etc will last. Anyhow, for the past year I've also had a Canon S300 (a regular 4-color type) printer. I never used it to print photos, but with my wife kind of using the Epson an awful lot lately I've considered wrigging it up to handle photos. I never bothered before due to the fear of fading, but I read that Wilheim rated Canon's Pro Photo paper as lasting 37-odd years. So I considered maybe using that paper with the S300 for my wife's usage. Any tips on my doing that? Is perhaps the Pro Photo Paper only meant for high-end printers like the i9100, or would the S300 possibly match up well with it? LRH > Anyhow, for the past year I've also had a Canon S300 (a regular 4-color > type) printer. I never used it to print photos You haven't missed anything. The S300 produces terrible color prints -- bleached out and splotchy. Perhaps with limitless time and experimentation one could get tolerable results. -- Curtis Croulet Temecula, California 33� 27' 59" N, 117� 05' 53" W ...

Epson vs Canon?
I've been looking into good all-rounders, inkjets, for my home office. In terms of manufacturers, it seems to come down to a battle between Epson and Canon. Both have good all-round performers in the middle, middle-low price bracket. The Epson's seem to have a higher resolution, 5700 as compared to the Canon's 4800 dpi, but people, in review, seem to like the Canon, I think it's the I865, or something like that, as compared to Epson's R300? I think those are the model numbers, although I'm working from memory. The thing is, last time I bought a printer, about six years ago, Epson were kings of the inkjet pile, with stylus ruling the roost. Last time I bought anything by Canon, it was a camera, I have no ideas if their printers are any good. Can anyone tell me if Canon make good printers, and how they match up to the Epsons? Thanks. The Crow wrote: > I've been looking into good all-rounders, inkjets, for my home > office. In terms of manufacturers, it seems to come down to a battle > between Epson and Canon. Both have good all-round performers in the > middle, middle-low price bracket. The Epson's seem to have a higher > resolution, 5700 as compared to the Canon's 4800 dpi, but people, in > review, seem to like the Canon, I think it's the I865, or something > like that, as compared to Epson's R300? I think those are the model > numbers, although I'm working from memory...

Epson vs Canon
Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media, surely?! Or am I missing something? "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote: >Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that >the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of >an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I >have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review >I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the >R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss >optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media, >surely?! Or am I missing something? > > Yes you are dear. Surely you wouldn't settle for just glossy when you could have "glossier"? It's for those who feel absolutes won't do and would like something stronger. Lik...

Could Canon ...
Wondering it Canon is about to release new models. Saw in Fry's ad today the IP4000 on sale for $80 and this is not referb's. Mickey I know for a fact that sometime in the next 10 years Canon will introduce a new model. Mickey wrote: > Wondering it Canon is about to release new models. Saw in Fry's ad > today the IP4000 on sale for $80 and this is not referb's. > > Mickey Mickey wrote: > Wondering it Canon is about to release new models. Saw in Fry's ad > today the IP4000 on sale for $80 and this is not referb's. > > Mickey They're definitely coming when you see rapid price drops. That $80 printer is $100 Canadian dollars. Although I haven't seen it at that price here, it would mean a set of Canon cartridges bought at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack in Canada would cost you more than the printer. Bought at Costco Canada that would be about $85 in cartridges - but you have to buy 15 cartridges (five 3-packs) to get that price. -Taliesyn Mickey wrote: > Wondering it Canon is about to release new models. Saw in Fry's ad > today the IP4000 on sale for $80 and this is not referb's. > > Mickey Yes and very soon. Frank Canon has probably the shortest product cycles of any manufacturer. However they also repackage old technology as new. Most of the Pixma printers use the same inks as prior i9x generation printers. If you use the same inks you are ...

Which would be better ?? Canon Vs. Lexmark
i'm looking at getting a new printer and have seen two that i like ,,, can anyone shed some light on these choices. Pros / Cons ,, experiences etc. Lexmark P4350 or P6250 Canon MP 150 or MP 170 Would appreciate any comments on the above printers. Thanks LouisG wrote: > i'm looking at getting a new printer and have seen two that i like ,,, can > anyone shed some light on these choices. > > Pros / Cons ,, experiences etc. > > Lexmark P4350 or P6250 > > Canon MP 150 or MP 170 > > Would appreciate any comments on the above pri...

Can I use Canon 610 inkjet ink in a Canon 3000??
Do you think I can use refill ink for a Canon 610 in a Canon 3000? Black and colors. I have a lot of left over ink from the 610. I don't want to spend the 40 or 50 dollars a new set of ink cartridges will cost. I don't want to buy a whole new printer because then I'll have to decide which is the best one to buy, and that will take me forever and wear me out. Thanks a lot. Meirman -- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary. "meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:td8431hfumc3aa8oc30mfqpj1ao9tbam4m@4ax.com... > > Do you think I can use refill ink for a Canon 610 in a Canon 3000? > > Black and colors. > > I have a lot of left over ink from the 610. > > I don't want to spend the 40 or 50 dollars a new set of ink cartridges > will cost. I don't want to buy a whole new printer because then I'll > have to decide which is the best one to buy, and that will take me > forever and wear me out. > Due to the different density (vibrance) of the inks and drop size being applied to the paper, this would not be recommended. You would most likely see a color shift in images and possibly frequent clogging of the pigmented black as formulation has improved on the newer inks to reduce clogging of the smaller nozzles on newer printheads. ...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

Canon C755 and OS X?
The Canon MultiPass C755 all-in-one comes with only Windows drivers. VueScan won't recognize it. Has anyone succeeded in printing/scanning to/from it under OS X? Or under Windows, using Virtual PC by installing the supplied drivers? Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group ...

Canon Eos Camera Body To Canon Fd Lens Adapter
Canon FD Lens to EOS EF Body Mount Adapter Price:$125.95 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001D8X72G Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001D8X72G FD (Manual Focus) Lens to Canon EOS (Auto Focus) Body Mount Adapter Price:$119.00 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001KM5K98 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001KM5K98 ...

Canon MX850 vs. MX7600
Has anyone tried these 2? Which produces better black and white text on plain paper? Which is the better choice in general? ...

my Canon BJC4200 vs BJC4000
Got two used ones, both working. One to Sally Anne, better one goes to a friend as she does not have a printer. WHICH one sud I give her aka which is newer with better specs or are they the same. Thanks. DeWayne to auto reply remove the x from my address below dchiasxs1@rogers.com In order of release: BJC-4000, 4100, 4200, 4300, 4400, 4550. Not an awful lot of difference between any of them really! Keep the one with the print head that's been used the least. Cari www.coribright.com <dc@aci.com> wrote in message news:414s301q4gf49gcpavtveve83kkf61d21g@4ax.com... > Got two used ones, both working. One to Sally Anne, better one goes > to a friend as she does not have a printer. WHICH one sud I give her > aka which is newer with better specs or are they the same. > > Thanks. > > > DeWayne > to auto reply remove the x from my address below > dchiasxs1@rogers.com ...

Canon 4400F vs 8600F
I was set on buying 8600F after reading the reviews. However, when I visited the showroom today, I was apprehensive about buying it as it's bulky compared to the 4400F. What I normally do is to scan documents, mostly letters so that I don't have to keep the hardcopy. In addition, I want to scan all my photos and film for "safe keeping". After scanning the photos/film, I would just scan my letters. So scanning photo/film is may be a 6 months afair, I guess. What I see the dif between the 2 is that 4400F scan 6 film frame while the 8600F scans 12. I'm ok ...

Canon i560 vs ip4000
I'm thinking about getting an ip4000 and have read several reviews, but cannot find a direct comparison of these two printers. I currently have a working i560 and use it mostly for photos. Has anyone directly compared the photo output of an i560 and an ip4000? Is there a noticeable difference in photo print quality of these two printers? Ben Plan9 wrote: > I'm thinking about getting an ip4000 and have read several reviews, > but cannot find a direct comparison of these two printers. I > currently have a working i560 and use it mostly for photos. Has > anyone directly compared the photo output of an i560 and an ip4000? > Is there a noticeable difference in photo print quality of these two > printers? > > Ben i560 is more like ip3000, while ip4000 has extra photo black (more like before i850 or i865). I used to have i550 (560 came as successor) and now have ip4000. Comparisson...well, i can tell you that difference is visible. That extra photo black really does it's job. If you use high quality paper, such Canon's Photo paper pro, print is actually even better than lab photos. Interesting is that some reviews say ip4000 to be better than ip5000, while more expensive models are like big difference in price, very little in quality. So, in my opinion, ip4000 is best choice. other thing is photo longevity. If you expect photos to last loooong, you better get some printer which use pigmented ink (non...

Web resources about - canonical vs non-canonical - comp.os.minix

Resources last updated: 3/27/2016 2:36:35 AM