Compiling Compiler

Hi there,

I need some advice/opinion of the experts out there regarding
compilers.
I have sun cc compiler that supports 64 bit environment. Now, I compile
ACK using this compiler.This should give a compiler that supports 64bit
environment. Since the output files are in Solaris format, I compile
the ACK source *once again*  using the just compiled ACK compiler so
that I get Minix object and binary files.
Now my questions is that does this 2nd version of ACK be able to
produce true 64bit code?

comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Sanky wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I need some advice/opinion of the experts out there regarding
> compilers.
> I have sun cc compiler that supports 64 bit environment. Now, I compile
> ACK using this compiler.This should give a compiler that supports 64bit
> environment. Since the output files are in Solaris format, I compile
> the ACK source *once again*  using the just compiled ACK compiler so
> that I get Minix object and binary files.
> Now my questions is that does this 2nd version of ACK be able to
> produce true 64bit code?

A compiler doesn't inherent capabilities of the compielr it was compiled
on. If that was the case, then ACK should be able to compile out to ELF
objects.

You're going to have to manually code in 64-bit support.
0
segin11 (103)
12/3/2005 5:29:15 PM
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Sanky wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I need some advice/opinion of the experts out there regarding
> compilers.
> I have sun cc compiler that supports 64 bit environment. Now, I compile
> ACK using this compiler.This should give a compiler that supports 64bit
> environment. Since the output files are in Solaris format, I compile
> the ACK source *once again*  using the just compiled ACK compiler so
> that I get Minix object and binary files.
> Now my questions is that does this 2nd version of ACK be able to
> produce true 64bit code?

No. The compiler itself (pre-linker) would now -run- on the 64-bit machine
(or in in 64 bit mode), but would produce the same output as it did
before. The program would have no way to find out about any additional
64-bit instructions, different sized operands etc (and if any default
operand sizes change that could break the outputed code).

-But- the libraries would have beeen compiled with the 64-bit compiler, so
after linking they would have a mix of 32 bit code & 64 code, not the
desired "true 64-bit" code. In fact, these may not even be compatable. If
the 32 bit code has 32 bit ints and the 64 bit has 64 bit, then the
function calls would be broken for anything with ints as arguments.
Plus the linker/library formats may not have been compatable in the first
place...

A re-write of the compiler is needed, (tho for ack it's only the "backend"
that need re-written and then you've also written a FORTRAN, COBOL, C++,
etc. compiler too! [or whatever front ends there are]), plus possibly a
rewrite of a few libraries

    3ch

To compile or not to compile
Is there some benefit in compiling the apache source yourself? -- //Points ------------------------------------------------------------ http://underthebed.homeip.net ...

Compiled or not compiled
I need to distinguish between two situations: one when a Matlab function is run from Matlab command window and the other one when it is run in compiled mode. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks Tomy Duby "Tomy Duby" <tomy.duby@agilent.com> wrote in message news:idq8q8$85k$1@fred.mathworks.com... > I need to distinguish between two situations: one when a Matlab function > is run from Matlab command window and the other one when it is run in > compiled mode. > Any ideas how to do this? HELP ISDEPLOYED. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com comp.s...

Compile or not compile?
There's something that sometimes in while it bores me a little bit. How do I know if I need to compile a function/procedure or it will be able to compile "on fly". At the beginning I thought this was related to the paths idl "knew", but this happens for two functions/routines in the same directory. Can someone tell when a function can be runned without be compile? Nuno Oliveira wrote: > There's something that sometimes in while it bores me a little bit. How > do I know if I need to compile a function/procedure or it will be able > to compile &quo...

which compiler compiled?
Is there a way I can tell which compiler compiled an executable? I looked at the file with a hex editor and didn't see anything obvious. Lawrence "Lawrence" <just4me@nowhere.com> writes: > Is there a way I can tell which compiler compiled an executable? Yes with some compilers and some executable formats. E.g. on HP-UX for PA-RISC: $ aCC leak.C $ odump -compunit a.out ... 6 0 ANSI C++ leak.C /tmp ctcom options = -inst compiletime -diags 523 -inline_power 1 -longbranch 2 -unique_strings on -cachesize 256 B...

To compile or not to compile
Is there some benefit in compiling the apache source yourself? -- //Points ------------------------------------------------------------ http://underthebed.homeip.net ...

compiling Qt .... compiling Qt ....compiling Qt.... compiling Qt
I got myself new kernel from kernel.org... make xconfig needs Qt (new system). So I got new Qt source this afternoon. It is still compiling.... Who said MS is bloat has not done this. What does Qt do? Dunno, how about xforms for xconfig? On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:18:09 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote: > Dunno, how about xforms for xconfig? Why not curses based? menuform -- Hilsen/Regards Michael Rasmussen http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917 On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:55:33 +0100) it happened Michael Rasmussen <mir@miras.or...

program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler
Hi, I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler. Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru KBG <karthik.balaguru@lntinfotech.com> wrote: > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. No problem, just send $10 to paypal@zevv.nl and I'll do your homework for you. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C KBG said: > Hi, > > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. Can you think of any syntactic differences between C and C++? For example, what about keywords? They are very, very sen...

Writing a compiler compiler
Hello, Firstly, let it be known that I am quite new to the subject of parser generators, and having written only simple parsers for frivoulous grammars by hand have little experience. My objective is thus - to create a parser generator that will eventually generate a parser for a dynamic language. However, my undestanding of different parser types and distinctions between is minimal; but as the web is a good enough resourse please assume my knowledge of those areas. The target for this parser generator would be a language similar to C#, and I have found Jay (a yacc clone to C# and Java). Th...

Compiling with the eclipse compiler
Hey all,I have a weird problem (at least it's weird to me).I have a big project that I need to compile through ant with eclipse'scompiler.In the build.xml my compile target looks like this : <target name="compile" depends="release-settings, init" description="compiles everything from source"> <echo message="Compiling with debug = ${build.debug}"/> <depend srcdir="${src.dir}" destdir="${class.dir}" cache="${dependencies.dir}" closure="true"/> <javac srcdir=...

Meta4... a compiler-compiler
in the csa2 gmail account... description is very interesting. in the Pidgin for Apple II/Merlin/6502 message Rich ...

compiling on different compilers
I am working on a set of functions that involve dynamic memory allocation. I started working with gcc and then moved to Pacific C. The reason was that my only access to gcc was through an ssh connection that I did not have access to all the time, so I got Pacific so I could work on my home windows computer. Then I moved back to gcc, which saved me from some major mistakes. Somehow Pacific C was letting me get away with stuff that was completely wrong. gcc immediately gave me segmentation errors until I got every last thing correct. Is gcc the best for catching mistakes? If not, which on...

which compiler was used to compile?
Is there a slick way to invent a constant in a program that tells you which compiler you used. I distribute both JET and JavaC versions of my code, and it helps to know on any error dump which version they were using. Right now I manually change a static final just before compiling. I thought there ought to be something less error prone. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary. Roedy Green wrote: > Is there a slick way to invent a constant in a program that tell...

Problem to compile with g77 a program which was normally compiled with Absoft compiler
Hello, I get the following error messages when I try to compile a program with g77 somefile.f:(.text+0x93): undefined reference to `for_open' somefile.f:(.text+0xf4): undefined reference to `for_write_seq_fmt' somefile.f:(.text+0x128): undefined reference to `for_write_seq_fmt_xmit' somefile.f:(.text+0x454): undefined reference to `for_read_seq' Could you help me to fix this? I have posted more details about my actions on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3365742/f77-problem-to-compile-with-g77-a-program-which-was-normally-compiled-with-absof Thank you On 30/07/2010 10:2...

Compiler mystery: Compiles classes that don't compile
Can someone please try and explain how this could even happen. I'm about to start fixing some bugs in a program for a client. They haven't really been that organised and just gave me some source code from somewhere, which may or may not be the version of the source code that was used to compile the version of the app that I am supposed to fix bugs in. Now to the problem. The code doesn't even compile. There's a file Container.java, which is missing heaps of methods (private ones I guess as they are only called from inside Container). I decompiled the actual application and whe...

Web resources about - Compiling Compiler - comp.os.minix

Cool tools for compiling to JavaScript
Every programmer has a favorite language or two. JavaScript lovers are the luckiest these days because their language is taking over the Internet ...

Feds put protest activity under microscope in compiling national 'risk forecast'
Use of social media, the spread of "citizen journalism," and the involvement of young people are among the key trends highlighted by a federal ...

10 Tips For Compiling A Deal Sheet
Compiling a deal sheet is a great way of taking stock of your experience and of seeing where your experience may be lacking.

Compiling 64-Bit Code
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X.

Is there a benefit to compiling your code as you go?
Stack Exchange This Q&A is part of a weekly series of posts highlighting common questions encountered by technophiles and answered by users ...

6 cool tools for compiling to JavaScript
Every programmer has a favorite language or two. JavaScript lovers are the luckiest these days because their language is taking over the Internet ...

Compiling The Absurd Box Score For Space Jam ; Or, Shawn Bradley Sucked Against Cartoons, Too
This is Regressing, a numbers-minded column by our clever friends at the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective. Over the next few days, ...

We're Compiling Every Police-Involved Shooting In America. Help Us.
The United States has no database of police shootings. There is no standardized process by which officers log when they've discharged their weapons ...

Flat UI Pro Tutorial: Setting and Compiling Using LESS
In this video tutorial, you use components from Flat UI Pro to create a complete simple mail app using LESS. He takes you through the steps to ...

Industrious 4chan user is compiling a list of every videogame ever made
... me to enter a few hundreds of games into my Backloggery account , and I haven't even finished it yet. Ambitious 4chan user Data_baser is compiling ...