Looking for XENIX or PC/IX for IBM PC.

Hello,
I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
booting process and operating system in general.

Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.

Thanks.
Luc

0
rhubarbe0 (7)
7/6/2005 4:45:03 PM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.

You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely
available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/
Kernel source is also available.

In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article
series in Dr. Dobb's Journal
(http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be
interesting since it contained many details on the booting process
and x86 protected mode transition.

Michael
--
Michael Engel                 - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de
Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik

Coherent don't work if you have less 4MB RAM or Phoenix Bios too old. So its
authors are sure that works without problem... I don't think so.

--
�lvaro Jurado Cuevas

Cadalso Computer
Cadalso de los Vidrios 28640
Madrid
ajurado28@terra.es
http://krownix.sytes.net
"Michael Engel" <engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de> escribi� en el mensaje
> rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
>> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
>> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely
> available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/
> Kernel source is also available.
>
> In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article
> series in Dr. Dobb's Journal
> (http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be
> interesting since it contained many details on the booting process
> and x86 protected mode transition.
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Engel                 - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de
> Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik
> Hans-Meerwein-Str.            - 35032 Marburg
> Tel. 06421 / 28 21562         - Fax: 06421 / 28 21573

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/6/2005 11:47:29 PM
curious, does it say Copyright Microsoft ?

funny how Microsoft abandoned this project and now another off breed of
Unix (linux) is kicking its butt; however we won't go there.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/7/2005 7:16:54 PM
��� Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:45:03 -0400,o(h) <rhubarbe0@yahoo.com> ������:

> Hello,
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
> copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.
>
> Thanks.
> Luc

There's some Xenix copies lurking about the Web (Google it then ;-)...

Phoebus

--
����������� �� ������������ ��������� ������������� ��� Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

"*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> escribi� en el mensaje
> curious, does it say Copyright Microsoft ?
>
> funny how Microsoft abandoned this project and now another off breed of
> Unix (linux) is kicking its butt; however we won't go there.  :-)

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/8/2005 1:47:37 AM
what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
their door.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/8/2005 2:41:39 PM
Ok it's funny :-), they must it have thought about time ago.
I'm surprised about how people wants Xenix O_o... it's boring.
I'd got a MSX... I love emulators... mmmm I think I've a MSX emulator for
Linux in some place... I don't know if it's work in BSD. I'll test it.. if I
find it :-D.

Sorry for my answer if you are ofended... in Spain the Guardia Civil has
"too details" with the closed source... and my english it's so ugly.. he he,
sorry one more time.
--

> what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
> Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
> their door.  :-)

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/8/2005 7:22:34 PM
lol. no prob.  i probably misunderstood you before you misunderstood
me.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/8/2005 7:30:19 PM
*ProteanThread* wrote:

> what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
> Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
> their door.  :-)

Yet they were smart enough to buy up Interix a few years ago...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
0
garyd (140)
7/9/2005 6:06:28 PM
Buying Interix because they were smart or scared ?

0
rtdos (145)
7/11/2005 3:37:08 PM
Because they have complex of God I suppose :-P. In my old company still they
used Novell and win95 emulators to NT 5.0 (�?). I have both systems, win32
and unixware in my actual bussiness and I prefer them in separated machines.
I hate customers :-D

--

> Buying Interix because they were smart or scared ?

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/11/2005 9:12:42 PM
anybody tried installing coherent on emulator (qemu + simics + vmware)
i had downloaded the whole site. tried installing but qemu -> kernel panic,

--
Prem Mallappa
Software Engineer

0
premcm (5)
7/15/2005 11:57:53 AM
rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
> copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.
>
> Thanks.
> Luc

I'm looking for the same stuff.  Anybody got Xenix 286?

--
Paul

- Mansfield Goths and Alternatives:

- Get a taste of my life at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ppotter
0
pryan_st (107)
9/14/2005 5:41:09 PM
�lvaro Jurado Cuevas wrote:
> I've got a set of disks of Xenix i286 2.3.2. Email me if you are interested.
> Please it's close source, don't distribute, I've paid for it ;).

Xenix 286 is one I've been after for some time.

--
Paul

- Mansfield Goths and Alternatives:

- Get a taste of my life at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ppotter
0
pryan_st (107)
9/14/2005 5:42:36 PM
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, ls wrote:

> If Minix 3.0 may have X we might as well port KDE to it and we will
> eventually have a bsd like minix!
> For now I think FVWM will be a good enough window manager.

What minix maybe should have is a chopped and channeled version of X
writtten to be understood and to do things "correctly". --I haven't looked
at the any code for KDE (so no claim is made things are not done
correctly!) but the tarball's big enough I think it won't "fit in one
students head".

    3ch
colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, ls wrote:
>
>> If Minix 3.0 may have X we might as well port KDE to it and we will
>> eventually have a bsd like minix!
>> For now I think FVWM will be a good enough window manager.
>

> What minix maybe should have is a chopped and channeled version of X
> writtten to be understood and to do things "correctly". --I haven't
> looked at the any code for KDE (so no claim is made things are not done
> correctly!) but the tarball's big enough I think it won't "fit in one
> students head".
>
>    3ch

I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.

I think blackbox or FVWM would be pretty tight though.

  - Nick
0
Nick
9/20/2005 3:26:46 AM
In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
>I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
>minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
>anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.

No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.

philip1 (219)
9/20/2005 10:44:49 AM
Hello

Does someone have some links, examples or even sample of code of "how to"
use a XGA video card under Minix  3?
Something like drawing a colored rectangle would of interest to me.

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> a �crit dans le message de
> In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
> Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
> >I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
> >minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
> >anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.
>
> No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
> have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
> on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
> install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.
>

> --
> That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
> could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
> by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
> -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

0
Jean
9/20/2005 5:08:50 PM
In article <43304319$0$1732$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic <jean contatenated_with pierre .dot lerouzic @at wanadoo .dot fr> wrote:
>Does someone have some links, examples or even sample of code of "how to"
>use a XGA video card under Minix  3?
>Something like drawing a colored rectangle would of interest to me.

X contains device drivers for various video cards. Porting X means (among
other things) making sure that the device drivers in the X server can access
the video card hardware.

philip1 (219)
9/22/2005 1:13:56 PM
Hello Phillip

I think that you wrote specific Minix code for X336 and possibly other
versions?

Please, can X336 be compiled under Minix 3?
Is there a Web page where to find informations about a Minix "X system"
Makefile for X336 or an other version and other helping information to do
this?

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> a �crit dans le message de
> In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
> Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
> >I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
> >minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
> >anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.
>
> No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
> have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
> on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
> install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.
>

> --
> That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
> could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
> by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
> -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

0
Jean
9/24/2005 2:06:43 PM
In article <43355e6e$0$1705$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic <jean contatenated_with pierre .dot lerouzic @at wanadoo .dot fr> wrote:
>Please, can X336 be compiled under Minix 3?
>Is there a Web page where to find informations about a Minix "X system"
>Makefile for X336 or an other version and other helping information to do
>this?

At there moment there simply is no version of X that works under Minix 3.

philip1 (219)
9/25/2005 9:11:16 AM
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, it was written:

> I think that you wrote specific Minix code for X336 and possibly other
> versions?
XFree85-3.1.1 (a man page under current mentions 3.3.5) was ported to
minix-vmd, a different minix branch

http://www.minix-vmd.org/

which may be helpful if you're looking to port it, or you can run
vmd instead of minix, dual boot or run on a spare machine if have to have
X.

If you want an X server on a minimal machine you might also look at
desqview/X
http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html
--the version of X is getting dated tho.

   3ch

http://www.chsoft.com/dv.htm
--the version of X is getting dated tho

   3c

In article <43355e6e$0$1705$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>
Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic <jean contatenated_with pierre .dot lerouzic @at wanadoo .dot fr> wrote
>Please, can X336 be compiled under Minix 3
>Is there a Web page where to find informations about a Minix "X system
>Makefile for X336 or an other version and other helping information to d
>this

At there moment there simply is no version of X that works under Minix 3

--
That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where i
could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard don
by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make
	-- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agenc

0
philip1 (219)

PC to PC
Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC attached.Originally the set up was for the RPC and 1 PC to be on line and also for the RPC to make use of the PCs printer capabilities.The 2nd PC is my daughters and she would like to make use of the Epson photocolour printer without having to shift everything around.But I can't seem to get the 2 PCs talking to one another.Any ideas please? Dave. In article <42f977b64e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC ...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

Looking for Spss/Pc+ V2.x software for IBM Pc/Xt/at (1988)
Old timers, I am looking for nostalgia software for SPSS/PC. Specifically, SPSS/PC+ V2.x software for the IBM PC XT/AT that came out in 1988. I need the full version not the student version. The Graphics add-on is desirable but not necessary. Any usable media or download, e.g., ftp, is fine. Or just attach it to an email reply. SPSS itself does not have it anymore. Thanks, Art Kendall On Sep 18, 12:51 pm, Art Kendall <Arthur.Kend...@verizon.net> wrote: > Old timers, > > I am looking for nostalgia software for SPSS/PC. > > Specifical...

how to access my own PC from remote PC(any PC
I got mywebserver from http://www.mywebserver.org/us/, I dont know how to access 'mywebserver' running on my own PC from remote location (i.e any PC connected to internet)??? I tried in the address bar of web browser folloing things... 1)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D. is IP address shown on control panel of 'mywebserver'. This IP address remains same on getting connected to internet.(i.e. It doesnt change whenever my PC connects to internet) 2)http://A.B.C.D. where A.B.C.D is IP address of my PC(got from 'ipconfig' command) Can anybody tell me? how to access ...

minix for the IBM PC XT and AT (what ver of minix is this?)
i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this version of minix and what its specs were? On 11 Jul 2005 10:45:03 -0700, "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote: >i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is >this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most >recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this >version of minix and what its...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

Intel + Mac = PC? Does AMD + PC != PC?
I see this has popped up occasionally and I just wanted to get a clear view of what people were talking about when they were suggesting Macs are no longer Macs. It seems a great deal of this is a result of Apple's switch to intel processors. Is that the only thing that people are basing this statement on? Is it the fact that with Apple's Bootcamp software you can duel boot to XP? If either of those are the case, what about the following: PCs don't necessarily all have intel processors. If a PC is built around an AMD processor, does it cease to be a PC? A PC doesn't...

Controlling a windows PC from a OS/2 PC
I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip. Are there programs doing that via a serial or USB cable? JMS Sir: Jens wrote: > I have some applications running on an old win PC and I would like to > control it via my regular os/2 machine. I'd like to do this in a > matter like VNC does it, but I cannot use tcpip. Are there programs > doing that via a serial or USB cable? > Many of the old terminal emulation programs could do what y...

PC to PC over the Internet
I have two PCs connected to the Internet. None of them are web servers. Is it possible to send data from one machine to the other over the Internet? "Agnel" <agnel.kurian@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150177608.624721.147770@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have two PCs connected to the Internet. None of them are web servers. > Is it possible to send data from one machine to the other over the > Internet? Yes. You might look into SCP (WinSCP client and ssh server on cygwin), VNC (UltraVNC) or a FTP server. Niels Dybdahl "Agnel"...

Re: PC to PC
Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd -inheritance -service spawner On the client pc run the following: %let node=<remote pc name> 4016; options remote=node; filename rlink �c:\program files\sas\8.2\misc\connect\tcpwin.scr�; signon;...

Pocket PC for PC
Is there a version of the o/s for the Pocket PC that will run on my desktop. This would help me when I try to design a web interface for my pocket pc users. Thanks, Chris <socialism001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1114288516.549033.171910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Is there a version of the o/s for the Pocket PC that will run on my > desktop. This would help me when I try to design a web interface for > my pocket pc users. Microsoft Visual Studio includes emulation for Microsoft Mobile 2003. Magnus Well $700 is to much for me to spend. Does anyone know...

netsync PC to PC?
Hi, apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more than a decade... I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication with the PCs is ok. Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these additional fiel...

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

A question for any IBM PC & PC/XT Motherboard experts
My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? Just curious. Frank G. On Jul 3, 8:19=A0pm, "Frank Galphin" <chromedom...@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor > near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? > Just curious. > > Frank G. It's connected to the clock generator chip, so it adjusts the crystal frequency. Of course, you may wonder why a crystal would need adjusting. Th...

Web resources about - Looking for XENIX or PC/IX for IBM PC. - comp.os.minix

Video Game Inspired Phrases For Everyday Life
Video games are seen as an important and integral part of pop culture nowadays, and even folks who don't care about gaming may find themselves ...

NBA Rumors: Kevin Durant Leaving Oklahoma City Thunder If New York Knicks Hire Scott Brooks
NBA rumors are stating that the New York Knicks would definitely increase their chances of signing Kevin Durant in free agency if Phil Jackson ...

NY cop found guilty in 2014 fatal shooting of unarmed black man
A jury has found a rookie New York police officer guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 fatal shooting of an unarmed black man an incident that ...

‘Dice’: Showtime’s Andrew Dice Clay Comedy Gets Trailer, Premiere Date
Showtime has revealed the premiere date and first trailer for the new Andrew Dice Clay comedy series “Dice.” The show, which premieres April ...

Samsung to provide public safety network in South Korea
The company has won orders to build the 'world's first' public safety network using LTE technology with 3GPP standards.

Life-size BB-8 toy might be coming to make your Star Wars dreams come true
After raking in nearly $2 billion, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is easily one of the biggest and most successful movies of all time. It's biggest ...

George Clooney Brings 'Hail Caesar' to Berlin with Wife Amal!
George Clooney walks the red carpet at the premiere of his movie Hail Caesar held during the 2016 Berlin Film Festival on Thursday (February ...

CBS CEO: Streaming TV Talks With Apple Have Stopped
It has long been rumored that one of the major changes that Apple wanted to make to its Apple TV platform would be to turn it into a streaming ...

Samsung Galaxy S7 pre-order tipped for Feb. 21 with free Gear VR
In just about 10 days, we will finally get to see whether all the hype around the Samsung Galaxy S7 was really worth their salt. Samsung has ...

Ellen Degeneres, With Justin Bieber, Surprises Impoverished Detroit School with $500,000
On Thursday, Ellen Degeneres appeared via video conference to the students and staff at Spain Elementary-Middle School in Detroit, a school beset ...