Looking for XENIX or PC/IX for IBM PC.

Hello,
I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
booting process and operating system in general.

Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.

Thanks.
Luc

0
rhubarbe0 (7)
7/6/2005 4:45:03 PM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.

You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely
available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/
Kernel source is also available.

In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article
series in Dr. Dobb's Journal
(http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be
interesting since it contained many details on the booting process
and x86 protected mode transition.

Michael
--
Michael Engel                 - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de
Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik

Coherent don't work if you have less 4MB RAM or Phoenix Bios too old. So its
authors are sure that works without problem... I don't think so.

--
�lvaro Jurado Cuevas

Cadalso Computer
Cadalso de los Vidrios 28640
Madrid
ajurado28@terra.es
http://krownix.sytes.net
"Michael Engel" <engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de> escribi� en el mensaje
> rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
>> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
>> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely
> available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/
> Kernel source is also available.
>
> In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article
> series in Dr. Dobb's Journal
> (http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be
> interesting since it contained many details on the booting process
> and x86 protected mode transition.
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Engel                 - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de
> Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik
> Hans-Meerwein-Str.            - 35032 Marburg
> Tel. 06421 / 28 21562         - Fax: 06421 / 28 21573

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/6/2005 11:47:29 PM
curious, does it say Copyright Microsoft ?

funny how Microsoft abandoned this project and now another off breed of
Unix (linux) is kicking its butt; however we won't go there.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/7/2005 7:16:54 PM
��� Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:45:03 -0400,o(h) <rhubarbe0@yahoo.com> ������:

> Hello,
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
> copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.
>
> Thanks.
> Luc

There's some Xenix copies lurking about the Web (Google it then ;-)...

Phoebus

--
����������� �� ������������ ��������� ������������� ��� Opera:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

"*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> escribi� en el mensaje
> curious, does it say Copyright Microsoft ?
>
> funny how Microsoft abandoned this project and now another off breed of
> Unix (linux) is kicking its butt; however we won't go there.  :-)

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/8/2005 1:47:37 AM
what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
their door.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/8/2005 2:41:39 PM
Ok it's funny :-), they must it have thought about time ago.
I'm surprised about how people wants Xenix O_o... it's boring.
I'd got a MSX... I love emulators... mmmm I think I've a MSX emulator for
Linux in some place... I don't know if it's work in BSD. I'll test it.. if I
find it :-D.

Sorry for my answer if you are ofended... in Spain the Guardia Civil has
"too details" with the closed source... and my english it's so ugly.. he he,
sorry one more time.
--

> what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
> Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
> their door.  :-)

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/8/2005 7:22:34 PM
lol. no prob.  i probably misunderstood you before you misunderstood
me.  :-)

0
rtdos (145)
7/8/2005 7:30:19 PM
*ProteanThread* wrote:

> what i meant was, its funny how microsoft abandoned projects like MSX /
> Xenix / etc. and now similiar projects from competitors are knocking at
> their door.  :-)

Yet they were smart enough to buy up Interix a few years ago...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/
0
garyd (140)
7/9/2005 6:06:28 PM
Buying Interix because they were smart or scared ?

0
rtdos (145)
7/11/2005 3:37:08 PM
Because they have complex of God I suppose :-P. In my old company still they
used Novell and win95 emulators to NT 5.0 (�?). I have both systems, win32
and unixware in my actual bussiness and I prefer them in separated machines.
I hate customers :-D

--

> Buying Interix because they were smart or scared ?

0
alvaro27 (13)
7/11/2005 9:12:42 PM
anybody tried installing coherent on emulator (qemu + simics + vmware)
i had downloaded the whole site. tried installing but qemu -> kernel panic,

--
Prem Mallappa
Software Engineer

0
premcm (5)
7/15/2005 11:57:53 AM
rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS
> for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the
> booting process and operating system in general.
>
> Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette
> copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well.
>
> Thanks.
> Luc

I'm looking for the same stuff.  Anybody got Xenix 286?

--
Paul

- Mansfield Goths and Alternatives:

- Get a taste of my life at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ppotter
0
pryan_st (107)
9/14/2005 5:41:09 PM
�lvaro Jurado Cuevas wrote:
> I've got a set of disks of Xenix i286 2.3.2. Email me if you are interested.
> Please it's close source, don't distribute, I've paid for it ;).

Xenix 286 is one I've been after for some time.

--
Paul

- Mansfield Goths and Alternatives:

- Get a taste of my life at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ppotter
0
pryan_st (107)
9/14/2005 5:42:36 PM
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, ls wrote:

> If Minix 3.0 may have X we might as well port KDE to it and we will
> eventually have a bsd like minix!
> For now I think FVWM will be a good enough window manager.

What minix maybe should have is a chopped and channeled version of X
writtten to be understood and to do things "correctly". --I haven't looked
at the any code for KDE (so no claim is made things are not done
correctly!) but the tarball's big enough I think it won't "fit in one
students head".

    3ch
colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, ls wrote:
>
>> If Minix 3.0 may have X we might as well port KDE to it and we will
>> eventually have a bsd like minix!
>> For now I think FVWM will be a good enough window manager.
>

> What minix maybe should have is a chopped and channeled version of X
> writtten to be understood and to do things "correctly". --I haven't
> looked at the any code for KDE (so no claim is made things are not done
> correctly!) but the tarball's big enough I think it won't "fit in one
> students head".
>
>    3ch

I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.

I think blackbox or FVWM would be pretty tight though.

  - Nick
0
Nick
9/20/2005 3:26:46 AM
In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
>I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
>minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
>anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.

No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.

philip1 (219)
9/20/2005 10:44:49 AM
Hello

Does someone have some links, examples or even sample of code of "how to"
use a XGA video card under Minix  3?
Something like drawing a colored rectangle would of interest to me.

Thanks,

Jean-Pierre

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> a �crit dans le message de
> In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
> Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
> >I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
> >minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
> >anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.
>
> No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
> have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
> on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
> install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.
>

> --
> That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
> could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
> by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
> -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

0
Jean
9/20/2005 5:08:50 PM
In article <43304319$0$1732$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic <jean contatenated_with pierre .dot lerouzic @at wanadoo .dot fr> wrote:
>Does someone have some links, examples or even sample of code of "how to"
>use a XGA video card under Minix  3?
>Something like drawing a colored rectangle would of interest to me.

X contains device drivers for various video cards. Porting X means (among
other things) making sure that the device drivers in the X server can access
the video card hardware.

philip1 (219)
9/22/2005 1:13:56 PM
Hello Phillip

I think that you wrote specific Minix code for X336 and possibly other
versions?

Please, can X336 be compiled under Minix 3?
Is there a Web page where to find informations about a Minix "X system"
Makefile for X336 or an other version and other helping information to do
this?

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> a �crit dans le message de
> In article <432f8146$1_2@newsfeed.slurp.net>,
> Nick Bright  <boberzATthewatch.org> wrote:
> >I'm no developer, but I expect when X comes around it'll be a ground up
> >minix-specific write of the X system, and probably won't support
> >anything as complex as KDE/Gnome for the very reason you mentioned.
>
> No, the changes to X will be quite small. At the moment Minix 3.x doesn't
> have virtual memory or dynamic libraries. Anything that relies extensively
> on those features is likely going to be a problem. For 'normal' C code,
> install enough memory in your system and it is probably going to work.
>

> --
> That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
> could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
> by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
> -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

0
Jean
9/24/2005 2:06:43 PM
In article <43355e6e$0$1705$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Jean-Pierre Le Rouzic <jean contatenated_with pierre .dot lerouzic @at wanadoo .dot fr> wrote:
>Please, can X336 be compiled under Minix 3?
>Is there a Web page where to find informations about a Minix "X system"
>Makefile for X336 or an other version and other helping information to do
>this?

At there moment there simply is no version of X that works under Minix 3.

philip1 (219)
9/25/2005 9:11:16 AM
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, it was written:

> I think that you wrote specific Minix code for X336 and possibly other
> versions?
XFree85-3.1.1 (a man page under current mentions 3.3.5) was ported to
minix-vmd, a different minix branch

http://www.minix-vmd.org/

which may be helpful if you're looking to port it, or you can run
vmd instead of minix, dual boot or run on a spare machine if have to have
X.

If you want an X server on a minimal machine you might also look at
desqview/X
http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html
--the version of X is getting dated tho.

   3ch

http://www.chsoft.com/dv.htm