Minix cannot read minix-formatted floppies formatted on Linux or vise versa

Just to let people know, I have found a *BUG* In minix 3. Minix 3 cannot
read floppy disks formatted under linux (no matterwhat options you pass to
mkfs.minix, or vise versa. FYI I always build my Linux kernel with minix
filesystem support, because you never know when it will be useful.

Thank you.

--
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.

0
segin11 (103)
10/27/2005 11:57:03 PM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Segin,

Does it works with minix version 2. I mean floppy formated on minix
version 2
accessable on Linux.

Thanks,

On 10/28/05 01:57, Segin wrote:
> Just to let people know, I have found a *BUG* In minix 3. Minix 3 cannot
> read floppy disks formatted under linux (no matterwhat options you pass to
> mkfs.minix, or vise versa. FYI I always build my Linux kernel with minix
> filesystem support, because you never know when it will be useful.
>
> Thank you.

Minix 3 uses a new version of the file system which is not compatible
with older ones.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.

ryadav wrote:
> Segin,
>
> Does it works with minix version 2. I mean floppy formated on minix
> version 2
> accessable on Linux.
>
> Thanks,

When formatted FROM version 2 minix. I tried all sorts of flags to mkfs on
both Minix and Linux to no avail.

--
But what can you do with it?  -- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner.
(Submitted by Andy Pearce, ajp@hpopd.pwd.hp.com)

0
segin11 (103)
10/28/2005 10:03:38 AM
0
dg3459 (47)
10/28/2005 4:16:27 PM
No, as when i had Minix 2.0.4, it could real a floppy formatted on Linux if
it was version 2 and namelength of 14.

I don't think it would read anything else formatted on Linux.

David Given wrote:

--
A Linux machine! because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste!
(By jjs@wintermute.ucr.edu, Joe Sloan)
On 10/28/05 18:16, David Given wrote:

> I can't make this work either, and I'm sure I've done it in the past.
>
> Looking at the generated filesystems, the superblock at 0x400 (I'm using
> 1kB blocks) looks like this when created from Minix:
>
> 00000400   00 02 00 00  00 00 01 00  01 00 31 00  00 00 00 00  ..........$.....
> 00000410   00 1C 04 04  A0 05 00 00  5A 4D 00 00  00 04 00 00  ........ZM......
>
> The A0 05 magic number indicates a V3 filesystem. But under Linux, it looks
> like this:
>
> ...and like this when created from Linux with -v -n30:
>
> 00000400   E0 01 00 00  01 00 01 00  22 00 00 00  FF FF FF 7F  ........".......
> 00000410   68 24 01 00  A0 05 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  h$..............
>
> The magic number here is 68 24 (indicating a V2 filesystem), and is in the
> wrong place.
>
> Looking at Minix' definition of the superblock, the first parameter
> (s_ninodes) is defined as an ino_t, which is defined in sys/types as a long
> - --- 32 bits. But Linux thinks it's 16 bits wide.
>
> I've using Minix filesystems extensively in the past from Linux, but now I
> come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever actually used them from Minix
> itself... did this ever use to work? Has Linux *always* used an incompatible
> version of the Minix file system?

Minix file system v3 has a lot of incompatibilities with v2 that make
not possible to read disks or floppies under Linux.

In addition to the differences in superblock you already pointed out
there is also the difference in path names lenght.  Minix 3 allows names
to be 60 characters long versus 14 characters.

This was also a problem with Linux because it has, as default, 30 chars
long names.  To make Linux formatted partitions or floppies visible to
Minix 2.0.x you had to explicitly format with -n 14  (14 chars long names).

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.
   Registered Linux user #337974  <http://counter.li.org/>
0
lsodgf0 (405)
10/29/2005 8:21:19 AM
In article <v9s8f.5439$sA4.2362@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>,
David Given <dg@pearl.tao.co.uk> wrote:
>I've using Minix filesystems extensively in the past from Linux, but now I
>come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever actually used them from Minix
>itself... did this ever use to work? Has Linux *always* used an incompatible
>version of the Minix file system?

The simple truth is that (unfortunately) Minix 3 is at the moment
incompaitible with earlier versions of Minix. Linux understands the version 2
filesystem, but Minix 3 can handle only the new version 3 filesystem.

Tar files are probably the easiest solution to transfer files to and from
Minix 3.

philip1 (219)
10/29/2005 8:30:44 AM
Why can't Minix 3 read version 2 @ namelen 30? (exteneded)

The extended namelen on v3 should be 25 to be more like BSD (w00t), which we
are going that way in terms of license.

Minix is good for educational and personal tasks, and I got some people to
download it. Hopefully they like it.

Giovanni wrote:

> On 10/28/05 18:16, David Given wrote:
>

>> I can't make this work either, and I'm sure I've done it in the past.
>>
>> Looking at the generated filesystems, the superblock at 0x400 (I'm using
>> 1kB blocks) looks like this when created from Minix:
>>
>> 00000400   00 02 00 00  00 00 01 00  01 00 31 00  00 00 00 00
>> ..........$.....
>> 00000410   00 1C 04 04  A0 05 00 00  5A 4D 00 00  00 04 00 00
>> ........ZM......
>>
>> The A0 05 magic number indicates a V3 filesystem. But under Linux, it
>> looks like this:
>>
>> ...and like this when created from Linux with -v -n30:
>>
>> 00000400   E0 01 00 00  01 00 01 00  22 00 00 00  FF FF FF 7F
>> ........".......
>> 00000410   68 24 01 00  A0 05 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00
>> h$..............
>>
>> The magic number here is 68 24 (indicating a V2 filesystem), and is in
>> the wrong place.
>>
>> Looking at Minix' definition of the superblock, the first parameter
>> (s_ninodes) is defined as an ino_t, which is defined in sys/types as a
>> long - --- 32 bits. But Linux thinks it's 16 bits wide.
>>
>> I've using Minix filesystems extensively in the past from Linux, but now
>> I come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever actually used them from
>> Minix itself... did this ever use to work? Has Linux *always* used an
>> incompatible version of the Minix file system?
>
> Minix file system v3 has a lot of incompatibilities with v2 that make
> not possible to read disks or floppies under Linux.
>
> In addition to the differences in superblock you already pointed out
> there is also the difference in path names lenght.  Minix 3 allows names
> to be 60 characters long versus 14 characters.
>
> This was also a problem with Linux because it has, as default, 30 chars
> long names.  To make Linux formatted partitions or floppies visible to
> Minix 2.0.x you had to explicitly format with -n 14  (14 chars long
> names).
>
> Ciao
> Giovanni
> --
>    A computer is like an air conditioner,
>    it stops working when you open Windows.
>    Registered Linux user #337974  <http://counter.li.org/>

--
"Even more amazing was the realization that God has Internet access.  I
wonder if He has a full newsfeed?"

0
segin11 (103)
10/31/2005 4:50:23 AM
0
dg3459 (47)
10/31/2005 11:45:10 AM
Segin wrote:
> Why can't Minix 3 read version 2 @ namelen 30? (exteneded)

The V2 file system used directory entries of 16 bytes--2 bytes for the
i-number and 14 bytes for the file name. This strategy limited each
partition to 64K files and file names to 14 characters. We felt the
latter limitation was unbearable and the former kind of iffy, so we
changed the directory entry to 64 bytes: 4 bytes for the i-number and
60 bytes for the file name. The former is effectively infinite and the
latter ought to be good enough. Not many files have component names
more than 60 characters. Path names can be much longer, of course.

This change caused the incompatibility.

Andy Tanenbaum

0
ast3098 (109)
10/31/2005 10:59:33 PM
Segin wrote:
> Why can't Minix 3 read version 2 @ namelen 30? (exteneded)

The V2 file system used directory entries of 16 bytes--2 bytes for the
i-number and 14 bytes for the file name. This strategy limited each
partition to 64K files and file names to 14 characters. We felt the
latter limitation was unbearable and the former kind of iffy, so we
changed the directory entry to 64 bytes: 4 bytes for the i-number and
60 bytes for the file name. The former is effectively infinite and the
latter ought to be good enough. Not many files have component names
more than 60 characters. Path names can be much longer, of course.

This change caused the incompatibility.

Andy Tanenbaum

0
ast3098 (109)
10/31/2005 11:00:24 PM
ast wrote:

> Segin wrote:
>> Why can't Minix 3 read version 2 @ namelen 30? (exteneded)
>
> The V2 file system used directory entries of 16 bytes--2 bytes for the
> i-number and 14 bytes for the file name. This strategy limited each
> partition to 64K files and file names to 14 characters. We felt the
> latter limitation was unbearable and the former kind of iffy, so we
> changed the directory entry to 64 bytes: 4 bytes for the i-number and
> 60 bytes for the file name. The former is effectively infinite and the
> latter ought to be good enough. Not many files have component names
> more than 60 characters. Path names can be much longer, of course.
>
> This change caused the incompatibility.
>
> Andy Tanenbaum

This is actually quite funny, Andy. Minix being incompatible with
Minix... :)

--
"[In 'Doctor' mode], I spent a good ten minutes telling Emacs what I
thought of it.  (The response was, 'Perhaps you could try to be less

0
segin11 (103)

MINIX JOHN MAPPIN OS COMPUTERS? (JOHN MAPPIN MINIX or PARIS HITLON MINIX?)!
ALF follows an amateur radio signal to Earth and crash-lands into the garage of the Tanners. The Tanners are a suburban middle class family consisting of the social worker Willie, his wife Kate, their teenage daughter Lynn, younger son Brian, and the cat Lucky. Unsure what to do, the Tanners take ALF into their home and hide him from the Alien Task Force (a part of the U.S. military) and their nosy neighbors (the Ochmoneks), until he can repair his spacecraft. He generally hid in the kitchen. It was eventually revealed that ALF's home planet Melmac exploded because of a catastrophe involving nuclear bombs. ALF in Episode four of season one is trying to convince the president of USA to stop the nuclear program as he is scared that Earth might share Melmac's fate. ALF was off the planet because he was part of the Melmac Orbit Guard. Shumway is homeless, but he isn't the last survivor of his species. He became a permanent member of the family, although his culture shock, survivor guilt, general boredom, despair, and loneliness frequently caused difficulty for the Tanners. JOHN MAPPIN MINIX or PARIS HITLON MINIX? While most of the science fiction of ALF was played for comedic value, there were a few references to actual topics in space exploration, for example ALF's using a radio signal as a beacon in the pilot episode. In the episode "Weird Science", ALF told Brian, who was building a model of the solar system for school, that there were two planets b...

can minix regular be installed *OVER* minix small or minix tiny ?
is it possible to install one ver of minux *OVER* the other ? -- *** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT *** Woodzy http://rtdos.com/forum "UN-official" acf webring http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, confidential, or other wise private information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this email by you is prohibited. *ProteanThread* <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote: > is it possible to install one ver of minux *OVER* the other ? It's Minix, not Minux :-) Yes and no. It depends upon which versions you are talking about. For instance, there are fairly large differences between version 2.0.0 (the CD with the OSDI text) and version 2.0.2 and also between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3. The differences between 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 are relatively small. In general you can probably drop the source for the next version into any running version, recompile, and reboot. But there are a couple of places where you may find gotchas. You should be sure to recompile the libraries before recompiling a new system or commands. Also, the boot monitor has changed from time to time, and a newer Minix system may not be bootable by an older boot monitor. The ash shell behaves differently from the old Minix sh (now preserved as msh) in some cases. If you have a running system with a lot of shell scripts this can c...

[news][linux+minix][off-topic] Debian Weekly News
Retrived from: Debian Weekly News http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2006/27/ Debian Weekly News - July 4th, 2006 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- .... Andreas Barth [1]announced that four more assistants have been added to the release team. There are [2]rumours to start a port of Debian to the recently freed [3]Minix 3 operating system. Steve Kemp [4]noted that he has become a full member of the security team recently which now consists of four full members. 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/07/msg00002.html 2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/05/msg02581.html 3. http://www.minix3.org/ 4. http://blog.steve.org.uk/index.php/archives/2006/07/03/at-the-end-of-the-day/ P.S.: sory if this is off-topic. I think that this can be util for this group. ...

Minix 2.x or Minix 3 ?
hi everybody, i am sorry if i asking a question asked too often. i tried to find a FAQ for the group but couldn't locate one. I want to study operating system design and coding in detail. For the purpose, I have started out with Andy Tanenbaum's book containing a CD- ROM with Minix 2.x. Then I found out about Minix 3. Given that Minix 3 has X window system and many other features common in other operating systems, I thought maybe switching to Minix 3 would help me spend more time there rather than in GNU/Linux. But then, the complexity of the system would also be higher. How will that affect my plans of using MINIX to solely study its code and implementation. Furthermore, I am now in a university, and unlike the box I have at my home, the one here has no floppy drive in it. I tried searching for bootable CD images of Minix 2.x but then the search didn't end up with expected results ( I found one though, but it was not well documented, so I didnt want to try it). SInce MINIX 3 has a bootalbe CD image available directly from its official website, should I considering switching to it, or is getting a floppy drive for my box the better alternative ? please note again that, I want to use minix primarily for purposes of study (detailed study, in fact). Cheers ! On May 26, 5:36 am, Bibek Paudel <eternalyo...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi everybody, > i am sorry if i asking a question asked too often. i tried to find a > FAQ for the group but couldn't l...

Minix 3 CD format

ELF file format on MINIX
Hello. Is there any work done on supporting ELF file format on MINIX? IF not, can anyone give me some brief direction on how to do so? Regards, Sam ...

Minix from a floppy
Greetings, fellow Minix-ers. I've got an old (but fully functional) IBM ThinkPad 755C lying on my desk. This thing is currently useless, and I'd love to turn it into a Minix box in order to give it some purpose in life. It meets all the minimum requirements for installation, except for the CD-ROM drive. I was wondering, therefore, if there's any easy way to install Minix onto a computer by means of floppy. If necessary, I could just install Minix in Qemu and then clone the hard drive over the network, but I think I'd rather saw my own arm off. Suggestions welcome. :D > I've got an old (but fully functional) IBM ThinkPad 755C lying on my > desk. This thing is currently useless, and I'd love to turn it into a > Minix box in order to give it some purpose in life. It meets all the > minimum requirements for installation, except for the CD-ROM drive. I > was wondering, therefore, if there's any easy way to install Minix onto > a computer by means of floppy. If necessary, I could just install Minix > in Qemu and then clone the hard drive over the network, but I think I'd > rather saw my own arm off. That would be a way, although quite time-comsuming. I think it would work. Minix 2.x is able to install from floppy disks completely (i.e. the whole package). Minix 3.x is also available as a USB stick image, which you can direct copy onto an USB stick, boot from it (or maybe from a floppy?) and install from there. Tha...

Minix INET vs Minix-vmd INET
Hello, I am thinking of porting over the 3c905/920 driver from Minix-vmd over to Minix 2.0.3. Before I start this task, I just want to ask if Minix's networking layer (INET) behaves the same as Minix-vmd's INET? From what I have seen of existing network drivers for Minix, I think they are the same. But I thought I would still ask in case I have missed something. Thanks, Alvin In article <4QOub.31992$R13.926817@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, ARB <abeach@deepvision.ca> wrote: >I am thinking of porting over the 3c905/920 driver from Minix-vmd over to >Minix 2.0.3. Before I start this task, I just want to ask if Minix's >networking layer (INET) behaves the same as Minix-vmd's INET? From what I >have seen of existing network drivers for Minix, I think they are the same. >But I thought I would still ask in case I have missed something. The interface between INET and an ethernet driver should be the same. The interface between an ethernet driver and other parts of the kernel may be different though. Did you try the 3c905/920 driver (in Minix-vmd) on your hardware? -- Philip Homburg begin no-virus-in-sight.exe "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!! billy gates why do you make this possible ? Stop making money and fix your software!!" -- W32/Blaster-A Hi Philip, Thank you for answering. My name is Alvin Beach, I wrote the 3c905 driver as part of my Computer Science degree. You may remember that I had a lot of questions f...

minix out
minix es muy rudimentario y muy malo y Linus no es tan bueno como la fama que se le da... lo que hiz=F3 esta al alcance de cualquiera, =E9l s=F3lo modific=F3 algo que ya estaba hecho. ...

minix for the IBM PC XT and AT (what ver of minix is this?)
i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this version of minix and what its specs were? On 11 Jul 2005 10:45:03 -0700, "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote: >i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is >this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most >recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this >version of minix and what its specs were? Version 1.2 ran on the XT (8088). I got that with the book. Version 1.3 began to add 80286 features which would only run on the AT. But I believe there was a build without the '286 stuff that still ran on the XT. I haven't looked at it for ages, and don't know where to get the older releases. Bob McConnell N2SPP Bob McConnell wrote: > On 11 Jul 2005 10:45:03 -0700, "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> > wrote: > >>i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is >>this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most >>recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this >>version of minix and what its specs were? > > Version 1.2 ran on the XT (8088). I got that with the book. Version > 1.3 began to add 80286 features which would only run on the ...

MINIX 2.0 vs MINIX 1.5
Hello. ;) As far as I know, MINIX 2.0 only works on Intel x86 CPU unlike MINIX 1.5 which works on many CPU like Intel, Macintosh, Amiga, Atari, SPARC. How come /usr/include/minix/config.h file in MINIX 2.0 lets you choose the type of CPU? And also, why are there many files in MINIX 2.0 which contain some machine-specific information for non-Intel CPUs. Does MINIX 2.0 run on non-Intel CPUs like SPARC? or is it there for people who wants to port it to other CPUs in future? Thanks. Sam <drminix@naver.com> wrote: > How come /usr/include/minix/config.h file in MINIX 2.0 lets you ch...

mkfs.minix in big-endian. How to create minix big-endian
Hi friends, I am trying to build a minix filesystem image using mkfs.minix on linux (little-endian) and mount it on a big-endian platform. It does not work. Is there is mkfs.minix utility that lets you build in big-endian format ? (like mkfs.jffs2 ?) I have been trying to RTFM for sometime, but no luck. Any inputs or pointers for this would be helpful Thanks, Manish > > Is there is mkfs.minix utility that lets you build in big-endian > format ? (like mkfs.jffs2 ?) Minix mkfs doesn't care about your processor endianness. When you mount the filesystem the Minix FS should reads the magic number and, if it is in the wrong byte order, it will activate byte swapping "on the fly". I'm reading the minix fs implementation on linux right now and i see that it doesn't do the same check, maybe Linux "MinixFS" implementation can't be used on big endian machines (?) Maurizio Lombardi >maybe Linux "MinixFS" implementation > can't be used on big endian machines (?) > I committed a mistake, MinixFS CAN be used with big endian but maybe you can not format the disk on a little endian machine and read it on a big endian one (with the Linux MinixFS implementation). Maurizio Lombardi Thanks Maurizio for your inputs. as you said, minix can be used on big-endian platforms. So question still remains, on little endian machines, is there a utility to make minix fs bundle for big-endian machines ? You suspect that...

Minix-1.5 or Minix-2.0 relates query..
Does any one here recall two programs posted to Minix group by some OS instructor at Oxford: minix-style message passing used to implement a thread managing program program to analyze minix buffer cache traces (a floppy full traces were also posted with it) Any idea where I can find these again?? -ishwar On Feb 21, 9:44 pm, rat...@cps.cmich.edu wrote: > Does any one here recall two programs posted to Minix group by some OS > instructor at Oxford: > minix-style message passing used to implement a thread managing > program > program to analyze minix buffer cache traces (a floppy full traces > were also posted with it) I think you may be referring to a series of messages on "Practical exercises for MINIX class" posted to the Minix-l mailing list by Mike Spivey on June 11, 1992. There are 5 articles. The URL of the first one is http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9206B&L=MINIX-L&P=R1766&I=-3 A month earlier the same author posted two messages on "Practical classes based around Minix". The URL of the first one is http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9205B&L=MINIX-L&P=R1020&I=-3 - Al ...

Help converting old style Kernel based Minix task to Minix 3
Hello, I'm continuing my project of converting Mini-X so that it runs on Minix 3 with slow progress being made. I have a question regarding the main graphics task for Mini-X. Originally this task would have been compiled as part of the Kernel but of course we now want it in user space so some changes have to be made but I am a bit stuck. The simple changes I have made so far are as follows:- case DISK_READ: r = do_read(&mess); break; ------> case DEV_READ: r = do_read(&mess); break; case DISK_DEV_WRITE: r = do_write(&mess); break; ----> case DEV_WRITE: r = do_write(&mess); break; if (user_phys == 0) return E_BAD_ADDR; ----> if (user_phys == 0) return EFAULT; This gets rid of a few errors but I still have:- exec cc -w -c -I ../include/ graphics.c "graphics.c", line 99: unknown selector PROC_NR "graphics.c", line 110: unknown selector REP_PROC_NR "graphics.c", line 133: illegal use of selector PROC_NR "graphics.c", line 162: illegal use of selector PROC_NR make in /home/lynton/mini-x/graphics: Exit code 1 What is the best thing to do with PROC_NR and REP_PROC_NR ? Also is phys_copy the same as it always was ? I have attached parts of the code of interest in the hope some pointers can be offered. Thanks in advance. Lynton Code below /*===========================================================================* * graphics_task * *=========================================...

Is Linux Minix or Unix
I am wondering if Linux is predominently UNIX or Minix. Anyone know? On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:15:59 -0700, JesusFreak wrote: > I am wondering if Linux is predominently UNIX or Minix. Anyone know? Yes I know - it is not either one. "JesusFreak" <pw1992@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1129691759.025424.296550 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com: > I am wondering if Linux is predominently UNIX or Minix. Anyone know? No, it's an implementation of POSIX. -- HPT JesusFreak blithely blithered > I am wondering if Linux is predominently UNIX or Minix. Anyone know? Yup, it&...

Minix on a floppy
Hi, I have an old Victor 286c with 640 kb ram and no HD. I wanted to use (just for the fun - I am a collector of these old PC) Problem: I have made the boot disk, but when I try to boot I get "File system panic: Cannot open RAM image device" Does anyone know how to fix this? BTW I am totaly newbee to Minix (have used Linux for years) Hope someone can help me! Arne Lindbach On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:39:23 +0200, Arne Lindbach <arne.lindbach@lindtext.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have an old Victor 286c with 640 kb ram and no HD. I wanted to use (just > for the f...

Linux API for Minix.
What would help Minix a lot would be a Wine that does linux. I cant do anything but it could be added to the projects page. When we have this look at the possibilities: X is done Most hardware supported Wider range of applications Compatible with more systems. Anyone think this is a good idea? ls <philip.kent@ntlworld.com> wrote: > What would help Minix a lot would be a Wine that does linux. I cant do What you probably mean is LSB compatibility which should be quite possible. O. Wyss -- Development of frame buffer drivers: http://linux-fbdev.sf.net Sample code snippets for wxWidgets: http://wxcode.sf.net How to build well-designed applications: http://wyoguide.sf.net Desktop with a consistent look and feel: http://wyodesktop.sf.net Otto Wyss wrote: > ls <philip.kent@ntlworld.com> wrote: > > >>What would help Minix a lot would be a Wine that does linux. I cant do > > > What you probably mean is LSB compatibility which should be quite > possible. But why? Linux is probably not what minix wants to be. And I don't know an usable open source application, which has more requirements than posix compatibility. > > O. Wyss > -- Matthias-Christian ott Matthias-Christian Ott <matthias.christian@tiscali.de> wrote: > Otto Wyss wrote: > > What you probably mean is LSB compatibility which should be quite > > possible. > But why? Linux is probably not what minix wants to be. And I don't know ...

Why Minix rather than Linux?
This is probably flame-bait, but why do people run Minix? I'm genuinely interested to know, and have even left a partition on my big new disk to try it out when I have a spare afternoon. (I tried earlier with an extended partition, but it seemed Minix did not like this, so now I've set aside a primary partition.) I ran Minix for a couple of years when it came out (and was even slightly involved in developing a 386 floating-point library) but went over to Linux when it came out, since that seemed an easier option for my computer usage (mainly Tex + email + web). But I always thought the quality of Minix software was superior to Linux. I mention this to show I am not a confirmed Linuphile, and my question is a genuine one. -- Timothy Murphy e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland Timothy Murphy wrote: > This is probably flame-bait, > but why do people run Minix? There are probably as many reasons as there are users of Minix. My guess is that many people run it as a way to learn about OS development. If you look at http://www.minix3.org/ you will see that Minix3 also have embedded systems as a target. Minix 3 is a work in progress, so it might not do all the things you want it to do (such as work with all kinds of hardware) yet. -- Torfinn Ingolfsen, Norway Timothy Murphy wrote: > This is probably flame-bait, > but why do people ...

compiling minix on linux
I want to compile minix on linux platform. can anyone help me with this problem. seems to be minix uses ack(amsterdam compiler kit ) to compile itself. I couldnt find a answer by searching the web. is it impossible to compile minix on linux? thnx in advance pradeep. pradeep <pradeepfn@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to compile minix on linux platform. can anyone help me with > this problem. seems to be minix uses ack(amsterdam compiler kit ) to > compile itself. I couldnt find a answer by searching the web. is it > impossible to compile minix on linux? No clue, to be honest. More information on ACK: http://www.cs.vu.nl/ack/ http://tack.sourceforge.net/ However, I would like to ask: why do you want to compile Minix on Linux? Regards, Jens -- Jens de Smit Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working" -- Stewart Dean well, i'm doing a somewhat strange project on minix source code analysis.finding out , how good the minix source is my goal. i tried out some different tools and some of them are not good enough. currently i'm trying SATURN(developed at stanford uni.) as my code analyzing tool & bad news is saturn builds structure of the code(hierarchy) in compile time by monitoring calls to gcc. but minix doesn't use gcc. your ideas are much appreciated. pradeep. student dept. of cse . unive...

Minix like OS
Hello all. I'm beginner. How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first? > Hello all. I'm beginner. > How to write own Operating system like Minix3 for embedded systems > (e.g. cellphone, pda). What should i do first? Writing operating systems is not something for beginners, and attaining something useful would probably take over a year for someone who is more advanced. If you have specific needs, you are probably best of modifying an existing OS to run on the devices you want to support. In this case Minix may be an excellent choice, as it is very small, is understandable and has support on embedded systems as a stated goal. If despite these remarks you would like to continue building an operating system from scratch, make sure you are well acquinted with assembly system programming and operating system design. The former you will learn using the manual from the CPU vendor for your embedded systems (for x86 and x64, for example, the Intel Architecture Software Developers Manual can be downloaded; your embedded system will likely have a different kind of chip though). The latter can be learned (amongst others) from "Operating Systems Design and Implementation" by Andy Tanenbaum (http://www.pearsonhighered.com/academic/product/0,,0131429388,00%2Ben-U SS_01DBC.html). -- With kind regards, Erik van der Kouwe On May 1, 4:02 am, sharavsam...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello all. I'm ...

minix next to linux
Hello, I have RH9 linux installed on my laptop and would like to install minix too. Can you tell me the easiest way to do that? I would like to select linux or minix at boot using GRUB. Should I use an ext2 partition? Thanks Michael Hi Michael, m.albert@angelfire.com (Michael) wrote in message news:<297bc7db.0402161328.790e1871@posting.google.com>... > I have RH9 linux installed on my laptop and would like to install > minix too. Cool, I have Debian. > Can you tell me the easiest way to do that? I would like to select > linux or minix at boot using GRUB. Should I use an ext2 partition? You can use any file system which GRUB recognizes (actually, I don't know what it do with fily systems which it don't recognize). In my home computer I have Debian (unstable) and Minix, I also use GRUB. Works very well. -- Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino Remember you need a primary partition to have minix work. Once you have a primary partition. under Linux the first partition of the primary master HD will be /dev/hda1. there can be four primary partitions, to had1 to hda4 is reserved. logical partitions inside of extended partitions will start from hda5 onwards, but since we need a primary partition, we just need to remember that minix will be installed on hda1-hda4. if its SCSI, it'll be sda1-sda4. if minix is installed on /dev/hda2, you just need to add something like this to the grub config file title Minix root (hd0, 1) that should do the work i...

Compiling 16-bit version of MINIX 2.0.0 on 32-bit version of MINIX.
Hello. I have a pentium machine running 32-bit version of MINIX and I want to compile a 16-bit version of MINIX 2.0.0 on it. Can I do it by setting the macro value _WORD_SIZE to 2 in /usr/include/minix/config.h and then compile? I also want to load all the servers in the low memory for my 32-bit version of MINIX. Can i achieve it just by unsetting the K_HIGH bit in the kernel flag or do I need to make any changes to the kernel? (Assuming the file system has a small buffer-cache system that will fit in the low memory) Thanks! In article <83fc82d6.0408101335.1764f4d9@posting.google.com&g...

The Minix website says nothing about the Y2038 problem. // Does Minix impliment the moderized POSIX time system calls?
================= The Minix website says nothing about the Y2038 problem. Does Minix impliment the moderized POSIX time system calls? Is Minix internally immune to the Y2038 problem? People are using the kernal in embedded OSes, so this is important. I assume the current Minix file system is immune to the problem, but most people probably use ReiserFS (that I assume is immune). ================= What is the Year 2038 problem? http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question75.htm The Year 2000 problem is understood by most people these days because of the large amount of media attention it received. Most programs written in the C programming language are relatively immune to the Y2K problem, but suffer instead from the Year 2038 problem. This problem arises because most C programs use a library of routines called the standard time library . This library establishes a standard 4-byte format for the storage of time values, and also provides a number of functions for converting, displaying and calculating time values. The standard 4-byte format assumes that the beginning of time is January 1, 1970, at 12:00:00 a.m. This value is 0. Any time/date value is expressed as the number of seconds following that zero value. So the value 919642718 is 919,642,718 seconds past 12:00:00 a.m. on January 1, 1970, which is Sunday, February 21, 1999, at 16:18:38 Pacific time (U.S.). This is a convenient format because if you subtract any two values, what you get is a number of seconds...

i'd like to build a website for Minix 2 on Minix 2 -- is this the correct forum for discussion on this issue ?
Hello ! i've been using Minix from 2.0.0 and liked it a lot because of its minimalism - in hardware resources i mean. my using of Minix has been mostly experimental, but that is what it is ment for, i figure. Now as Minix is evolving to more than 'mini unix', i'd like to offer a place to keep the older and smaller stuff at. i'm aware of http://minix1.hampshire.edu/ that seems to be back on-line again, and also http://www.minix-vmd.org/ that holds all Minix versions till 2.0.4 besides of Minix-VMD 1.7.0 -- but --- wouldn't it be ok to have several sites for this fine system ? --- would it be possible to find people willing to write text on pages, documents, links ... ? --- may i use texts and documents of the other sites - with names of authors of course ? matti christensen - mattic@iki.fi On Mar 2, 7:37 pm, matti christensen <mat...@iki.fi> wrote: > i'm aware of http://minix1.hampshire.edu/ that seems to be back on-line > again, and also http://www.minix-vmd.org/ that holds all Minix versions > till 2.0.4 besides of Minix-VMD 1.7.0 ... My minix1.woodhull.com site is not really on line again, it's just that a CNAME redirection that was misconfigured has now been configured correctly, so a request for a page from that site results in the corresponding page being served from minix1.woodhull.com, which, unhappily, is not really a Minix machine. -Al Thanks for your positive comment below ! i think i'll copy...

Web resources about - Minix cannot read minix-formatted floppies formatted on Linux or vise versa - comp.os.minix