Minix for the IBM PC and XT-Reference Manual

Does anyone have an copy of this in electronic form i.e. in Postscript
or PDF?=20

Thanks
--=20
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

minix for the IBM PC XT and AT (what ver of minix is this?)
i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this version of minix and what its specs were? On 11 Jul 2005 10:45:03 -0700, "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote: >i have a book by this title by andy tannenbaum, what ver of minix is >this (says its compatible with system 7 of unix not posix like the most >recent versions); does anyone know where i can find the d/l for this >version of minix and what its...

MINIX JOHN MAPPIN OS COMPUTERS? (JOHN MAPPIN MINIX or PARIS HITLON MINIX?)!
ALF follows an amateur radio signal to Earth and crash-lands into the garage of the Tanners. The Tanners are a suburban middle class family consisting of the social worker Willie, his wife Kate, their teenage daughter Lynn, younger son Brian, and the cat Lucky. Unsure what to do, the Tanners take ALF into their home and hide him from the Alien Task Force (a part of the U.S. military) and their nosy neighbors (the Ochmoneks), until he can repair his spacecraft. He generally hid in the kitchen. It was eventually revealed that ALF's home planet Melmac exploded because of a catastrophe involv...

can minix regular be installed *OVER* minix small or minix tiny ?
is it possible to install one ver of minux *OVER* the other ? -- *** REPLY REQUESTED WHEN CONVENIENT *** Woodzy http://rtdos.com/forum "UN-official" acf webring http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=acfwebring This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, confidential, or other wise private information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of this email by you is prohibited. *ProteanThread* <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote: > is it possible to install one ver of minux *OVER* the other ? It's Minix, not Minux :-) Yes and no. It depends upon which versions you are talking about. For instance, there are fairly large differences between version 2.0.0 (the CD with the OSDI text) and version 2.0.2 and also between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3. The differences between 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 are relatively small. In general you can probably drop the source for the next version into any running version, recompile, and reboot. But there are a couple of places where you may find gotchas. You should be sure to recompile the libraries before recompiling a new system or commands. Also, the boot monitor has changed from time to time, and a newer Minix system may not be bootable by an older boot monitor. The ash shell behaves differently from the old Minix sh (now preserved as msh) in some cases. If you have a running system with a lot of shell scripts this can c...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

Minix on an XT?
Can I run Minix on a pee see XT clone? I have a Tandy 1400LT and I've been looking for a good OS for it. How many Applications can I run in 640k, and what kind are available for it? > Can I run Minix on a pee see XT clone? I have a Tandy 1400LT and I've > been looking for a good OS for it. How many Applications can I run in > 640k, and what kind are available for it? I realize this must be a really stupid question, but isn't there someone out there who can answer it? puritan_1620@yahoo.com (Leon Howell) wrote in message news:<bfc4e250.0310281135.606a8883@posting.goog...

A question for any IBM PC & PC/XT Motherboard experts
My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? Just curious. Frank G. On Jul 3, 8:19=A0pm, "Frank Galphin" <chromedom...@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor > near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? > Just curious. > > Frank G. It's connected to the clock generator chip, so it adjusts the crystal frequency. Of course, you may wonder why a crystal would need adjusting. Th...

A question for any IBM PC & PC/XT Motherboard experts
My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? Just curious. Frank G. On Jul 3, 8:19=A0pm, "Frank Galphin" <chromedom...@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor > near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? > Just curious. > > Frank G. It's connected to the clock generator chip, so it adjusts the crystal frequency. Of course, you may wonder why a crystal would need adjusting. Th...

Minix INET vs Minix-vmd INET
Hello, I am thinking of porting over the 3c905/920 driver from Minix-vmd over to Minix 2.0.3. Before I start this task, I just want to ask if Minix's networking layer (INET) behaves the same as Minix-vmd's INET? From what I have seen of existing network drivers for Minix, I think they are the same. But I thought I would still ask in case I have missed something. Thanks, Alvin In article <4QOub.31992$R13.926817@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, ARB <abeach@deepvision.ca> wrote: >I am thinking of porting over the 3c905/920 driver from Minix-vmd over to >Minix 2.0.3. Before I start this task, I just want to ask if Minix's >networking layer (INET) behaves the same as Minix-vmd's INET? From what I >have seen of existing network drivers for Minix, I think they are the same. >But I thought I would still ask in case I have missed something. The interface between INET and an ethernet driver should be the same. The interface between an ethernet driver and other parts of the kernel may be different though. Did you try the 3c905/920 driver (in Minix-vmd) on your hardware? -- Philip Homburg begin no-virus-in-sight.exe "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!! billy gates why do you make this possible ? Stop making money and fix your software!!" -- W32/Blaster-A Hi Philip, Thank you for answering. My name is Alvin Beach, I wrote the 3c905 driver as part of my Computer Science degree. You may remember that I had a lot of questions f...

Minix on i286 PC
Hello, All. I have i286 PC with 3 MB RAM, and I want use Minix on it. I was download "Demo floppie" from official Minix site (http:// www.minix3.org/previous-versions/demo/demo_dsk.ibm), but on load it write "Booting MINIX 1.5. Copyright 1991 Prentice-Hall, Inc." and stop (sorry, I don't know it in english, in russian this named "zavisanie" :-( May be, I use incorrect version of Minix, which not support my i286 PC. Please, help me! On 2009-08-23, Sergey Popov <sergey.popov.ru@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, All. > I have i286 PC with 3 MB RAM, and I want use Minix on it. I was > download "Demo floppie" from official Minix site (http:// > www.minix3.org/previous-versions/demo/demo_dsk.ibm), but on load it > write "Booting MINIX 1.5. Copyright 1991 Prentice-Hall, Inc." and stop > (sorry, I don't know it in english, in russian this named > "zavisanie" :-( > May be, I use incorrect version of Minix, which not support my i286 > PC. Please, help me! Minix version 2 should run on a 286 PC. Be sure you get the i86 version and not the i386. .. .. In article <7778m6-2i1.ln1@marcumbill.bellsouth.net>, Bill Marcum <marcumbill@bellsouth.net> wrote: >On 2009-08-23, Sergey Popov <sergey.popov.ru@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hello, All. >> I have i286 PC with 3 MB RAM, and I want use Minix on it. I was >> download "Demo floppie" from official Minix sit...

book refers MINIX
After reading lots of OS books I came to one that finally makes a reference to MINIX, other that the 'father of Linux'. It is about 'Memory Management' by Bill Blunden, Wordware publishing. At pp 209 it shows the brk() system call as implemented in MINIX and also makes some other minor references to MINIX throughout the book. Christos Christos Karayiannis wrote: > After reading lots of OS books I came to one that finally makes a reference > to MINIX, other that the 'father of Linux'. It is about 'Memory Management' > by Bill Blunden, Wordware publ...

Installing Minix in PC
Hello I want to load minix in my PC. I have RH Linux 8.0 and Windows NT Pro loaded in different partitions. Can I load Minix also in another partition and load it using lilo. Other wise is there any simulator available with CD where I can work in minix from my Linux shell. Regs Lin gk_lin@yahoo.com (lin) wrote in message news:<a7473bc9.0406300328.64165079@posting.google.com>... <snip> > Can I load Minix also in another partition and load it using lilo. <snip> Yes you can. You will be loading the boot monitor though(not the kernel directly), which will in turn load...

MINIX 2.0 vs MINIX 1.5
Hello. ;) As far as I know, MINIX 2.0 only works on Intel x86 CPU unlike MINIX 1.5 which works on many CPU like Intel, Macintosh, Amiga, Atari, SPARC. How come /usr/include/minix/config.h file in MINIX 2.0 lets you choose the type of CPU? And also, why are there many files in MINIX 2.0 which contain some machine-specific information for non-Intel CPUs. Does MINIX 2.0 run on non-Intel CPUs like SPARC? or is it there for people who wants to port it to other CPUs in future? Thanks. Sam <drminix@naver.com> wrote: > How come /usr/include/minix/config.h file in MINIX 2.0 lets you ch...

MicroSoft Virtual PC and Minix
Has any one tried to install/use under Virtual PC? Can the bootable be used for installing Minix under Virtual PC? (Pointer to howto??) -ishwar ...

THE MINIX ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE MANUAL
.. THE MINIX ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE MANUAL Author Wangzhi; Zhoujing About author Wangzhi: Postgraduate Of Network And Operating System, Wuhan University of Technology (China) e-mail: quakewang@mail.whut.edu.cn Minix Assembly language is a little different to the Masm, which Most of us have learned. But minix contains many pieces of assembly code, which is very necessary to understand everything. I have seen a Chinese paper talk about this kind of assembly language(Posted on Journal of Southwest University for Nationalities-Natur...

Minix and MS Virtual PC
I tried Minix on the latest version of MS Virtual PC, and it seemed to lock up while installing the X11 package. Anyone else see this? I have been install Minix3 on Virtual PC 5.0 release,It seems work well, I think maybe you should try that. marry X`mas <bob@coolgroups.com> д���ʼ� news:1166847183.373027.133560@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > I tried Minix on the latest version of MS Virtual PC, and it seemed > to lock up while installing the X11 package. Anyone else see > this? > ...

Any interesting req for Minix OS
We are a group of students from india who possess hardcore C programming stuff... Any new req pls inform us so that we can contribute to Minix OS On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:52:30 -0800, anand wrote: > We are a group of students from india who possess hardcore C > programming stuff... > Any new req pls inform us so that we can contribute to Minix OS The best starting point is to take a look at http://www.minix3.org/index.html On the left, under "community" is a link "How can I help?" and another "Who is working on what?" -- mark south: world citize...

Minix-1.5 or Minix-2.0 relates query..
Does any one here recall two programs posted to Minix group by some OS instructor at Oxford: minix-style message passing used to implement a thread managing program program to analyze minix buffer cache traces (a floppy full traces were also posted with it) Any idea where I can find these again?? -ishwar On Feb 21, 9:44 pm, rat...@cps.cmich.edu wrote: > Does any one here recall two programs posted to Minix group by some OS > instructor at Oxford: > minix-style message passing used to implement a thread managing > program > program to analyze minix buffer cache traces...

MINIX 3 in Virtual PC
I've installed MINIX 3 on Virtual PC, but can't get the X server working (it moans about the display). Is there a config file I can edit to make it actually work. Also, I'm wanting to have Internet access through said VM. How can I do that (or should I just buy/build a machine that it's appropriate to run MINIX 3 on)? Thanks. ...

Best OS for a PC/XT ??
Just for fun.. I have here an original IBM-PC (not even XT i think) with 512kb RAM, 10mb HDD, 2 floppy drives and a CGA green screen. What would be the most "modern" OS, if any, to run acceptably on such machine and support a legacy ISA network card and TCP/IP ? "Dick Trace" wrote in message... > Just for fun.. > > I have here an original IBM-PC (not even XT i think) with 512kb RAM, > 10mb HDD, 2 floppy drives and a CGA green screen. That's interesting, I didn't know there were CGA Green Screens. Your sure it's an ordinary monochr...

Help converting old style Kernel based Minix task to Minix 3
Hello, I'm continuing my project of converting Mini-X so that it runs on Minix 3 with slow progress being made. I have a question regarding the main graphics task for Mini-X. Originally this task would have been compiled as part of the Kernel but of course we now want it in user space so some changes have to be made but I am a bit stuck. The simple changes I have made so far are as follows:- case DISK_READ: r = do_read(&mess); break; ------> case DEV_READ: r = do_read(&mess); break; case DISK_DEV_WRITE: r = do_write(&mess); break; ----> case DEV_WRITE: r =...

FS: IBM PC XT Clone
Go to j.p.woods.home.att.net to see a nearly new PC XT system for sale. ...

Catch NMI with Minix on a standard PC
Hello, I've got a regular PC (Pentium 2.4) which I've installed Minix on (actually above VmWare). I would like to catch the NMI interrupt in order to monitor the system state. Do I need a special hardware to generate it? Will the VmWare machine get the NMI also? Anyway is it a good idea? Any alternatives? Thanks in advance, R. Ruby Yagel wrote: > Hello, > I've got a regular PC (Pentium 2.4) which I've installed Minix on > (actually above VmWare). > I would like to catch the NMI interrupt in order to monitor the system > state. > Do I need a special hardware t...

Compiling 16-bit version of MINIX 2.0.0 on 32-bit version of MINIX.
Hello. I have a pentium machine running 32-bit version of MINIX and I want to compile a 16-bit version of MINIX 2.0.0 on it. Can I do it by setting the macro value _WORD_SIZE to 2 in /usr/include/minix/config.h and then compile? I also want to load all the servers in the low memory for my 32-bit version of MINIX. Can i achieve it just by unsetting the K_HIGH bit in the kernel flag or do I need to make any changes to the kernel? (Assuming the file system has a small buffer-cache system that will fit in the low memory) Thanks! In article <83fc82d6.0408101335.1764f4d9@posting.google.com&g...

Compiling MINIX on Windows (or DOS) based PC.
I'd like to port MINIX to an XT class system that is based on an Intel 8088 CPU but not 100% IBM compatible. After reviewing many of the source files for MINIX it looks like it might be easier to port than I originally thought since it doesn't seem to rely on the built-in BIOS and instead has modules coded to do what it needs. What I'll need to focus on is rewritting the modules that interface directly with the hardware to compensate for any differences. To do this I'd like to do most of the editing/compiling on a regular Windows/DOS based PC to create the binary images for ...

Web resources about - Minix for the IBM PC and XT-Reference Manual - comp.os.minix