why doesn't mount mount? #2

comp.os.minix
why doesn't mount mount?

The command was changed to:
   mount /dev/hd6 /
and the returned error message changed also:
   mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system.

Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what causes
the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such error messages
generally?

Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions from
here?

Hul

inode permission link   size name
     1 drwxrwxrwx   2      32 /

Checking zone map
Checking inode map
Checking inode list

blocksize =  1024        zonesize  =  1024

     0    Regular files
     1    Directory
     0    Block special files
     0    Character special files
 32015    Free inodes
     0    Named pipes
     0    Symbolic links
253992    Free zones
0
ht (85)
9/8/2012 12:59:43 PM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 09/08/2012 02:59 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:

> The command was changed to: mount /dev/hd6 / and the returned error
> message changed also: mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system.
>
> Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what
> causes the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such
> error messages generally?
>
> Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions
> from here?

You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
partition you formatted.

Mount command require that you specify the devce and the point where
it will be mounted.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.
> You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
> partition you formatted.
> Mount command require that you specify the devce and the point where
> it will be mounted.

Giovanni - by "root partition" are you refering to the root of the file
system; in other words, the lowest directory of the file system which in
this case is on the disk labeled hd0 and is operated by the driver (or
link to a driver) found at /dev/hd0, or hd1 or hd2 or hd1a etc. Or are you
refering to the lowest directory on the auxilliary disk, or intended
auxilliary disk, hd5 which is operated by the driver (or link to a driver)
at /dev/hd5 or hd6....
   I am trying to mount a disk with only one partition onto the file
system previously operating from a single disk with a single partition
which is split into 2 subpartitions. Are you implying that any disk added
to a Minix system need be split into two partitions or subpartitions?
   Regarding your mention of the need to create the directory "aux",
should this be added to the file system prior to using the command mount?
I'll give it a try & see what happens.

Hul

Giovanni <lsodgf0@home.net.it> wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 02:59 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:

> > The command was changed to: mount /dev/hd6 / and the returned error
> > message changed also: mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system.
> >
> > Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what
> > causes the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such
> > error messages generally?
> >
> > Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions
> > from here?

> You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
> partition you formatted.

> Mount command require that you specify the devce and the point where
> it will be mounted.

> Ciao
> Giovanni
> --
>    A computer is like an air conditioner,
>    it stops working when you open Windows.
>    < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
0
dbr (64)
9/8/2012 8:30:44 PM
Finished (roughly) at last. The trouble, after the directory name cleared
away (thanks Giovanni), was caused by mixing hd5 & hd6 with part & mkfs &
mount.

Hul

dbr@kbrx.com wrote:
> > You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
> > partition you formatted.
> > Mount command require that you specify the devce and the point where
> > it will be mounted.

> Giovanni - by "root partition" are you refering to the root of the file
> system; in other words, the lowest directory of the file system which in
> this case is on the disk labeled hd0 and is operated by the driver (or
> link to a driver) found at /dev/hd0, or hd1 or hd2 or hd1a etc. Or are you
> refering to the lowest directory on the auxilliary disk, or intended
> auxilliary disk, hd5 which is operated by the driver (or link to a driver)
> at /dev/hd5 or hd6....
>    I am trying to mount a disk with only one partition onto the file
> system previously operating from a single disk with a single partition
> which is split into 2 subpartitions. Are you implying that any disk added
> to a Minix system need be split into two partitions or subpartitions?
>    Regarding your mention of the need to create the directory "aux",
> should this be added to the file system prior to using the command mount?
> I'll give it a try & see what happens.

> Hul

> Giovanni <lsodgf0@home.net.it> wrote:
> > On 09/08/2012 02:59 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:

> > > The command was changed to: mount /dev/hd6 / and the returned error
> > > message changed also: mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system.
> > >
> > > Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what
> > > causes the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such
> > > error messages generally?
> > >
> > > Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions
> > > from here?

> > You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
> > partition you formatted.

> > Mount command require that you specify the devce and the point where
> > it will be mounted.

> > Ciao
> > Giovanni
> > --
> >    A computer is like an air conditioner,
> >    it stops working when you open Windows.
> >    < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
0
dbr (64)

mount -o remount of NFS doesn't preserve any mount options?
We're mounting a NAS filesystem via NFS to a SPARC Solaris 10 server, and had to remount on the fly due to a parameter change on the NAS device. The mount -o remount command neither preserved the existing mount options, nor read them from /etc/vfstab (they're the same). AFAIK it took all defaults, which caused some errors. I have resolved the issue by executing another remount and explicitly specifying all the mount options needed, but this behavior doesn't make sense to me. Is this normal behavior? I have researched the docs and the Web and don't see anything that...

USB devices (thru' USB/Firewire card) won't mount in OS9.2.2
Anyone got any ideas/solutions? My beige G3 tower has a USB/Firewire PCI card fitted, but although the card shows up in Profiler, any USB devices attached don't show up on the desktop. Not the worst situation except that I have bought a new Edirol USB audio/MIDI interface and want to use it, but I can't. In desperation I have zeroed all data on the main hard drive and a secondary (attached on a PCI card and done a clean re-install of the system (OS9.2.2), but still nothing. The only difference to the G� being pure is that the G3 uses a Sonnet G4 1Ghz upgrade chip, tho' I can't ...

Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux #2
http://goo.gl/xRymh <quote> We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. </quote> -- Big Brother is watching ... so are we On 1/11/2013 3:24 AM, Robin T Cox wrote: > http://goo.gl/xRymh > > <quote> > We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can > blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can > blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is > Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, > in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? > It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. > </quote> "Microsoft Corp has sold 60 million licenses and upgrades for its new Windows 8 operating system in the 10 weeks since its launch..." The latest Windows 8 figure means Microsoft sold around 20 million Windows 8 licenses and upgrades since the end of November, when it announced 40 million sales in the first month on the market. That put...

Array#uniq
I am confused about "Array#uniq". In http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/e57b80fbcd61aaab it is described, that one has to redefine "eql?" and "hash", if one needs an own "Array#uniq" interpretation. I made tests with the result, that neither "eql?" nor "hash" is called. What went wrong here? >>>>> code >>>>> class String alias :org_hash :hash alias :org_eql? :eql? def hash puts 'String#hash called' self.org_hash end def eql?(other) puts 'String#e...

DVD burns, doesn't mount
When I burn a data DVD on my PowerBook with a SuperDrive (1.0 Ghz, G4, OS-X 10.3.3, 512 MB RAM...) the disk burns fine but when it is finished it doesn't mount. I either need to restart or (as I found out later) need to eject it with the eject button and reinsert it. I have noticed this with CD-R's before, and on other Macs I have owned. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those things I need to learn to live with? ...

mount point has gone, device is mounted, can't umount device
Hi All, How stuffed am I? su-2.04# df -m Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12589 58% /usr/MS procfs 0 0 0 100% /proc /dev/da4s1e 1007 39 887 4% /mnt/rt su-2.04# cd /mnt/rt su: cd: /mnt/rt: Invalid argument Get same if I do mkdir /mnt/rt So How do I umount /dev/da4s1e? I cannot just reboot as I am not sure that da0 is still my boot drive, boot0cfg -v da0 boot0cfg: /dev/da0: unknown or incompatible boot code -- Mark Worsdall https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ On 2005-07-30, Mark Worsdall <freebsd@NoSpAmPlEaSe-wizdom.org.uk> wrote: > Hi All, > > How stuffed am I? > > su-2.04# df -m > Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / > /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr > /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var > /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local > /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp > /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www > /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12...

'=' command doesn't work? #2
Hi, i have a strange problem. It seems so simple, but : disp(['temp2=',num2str(temp2(end))]); Ergebnis(j) = temp2(end); disp(['Ergebnis=',num2str(Ergebnis(j))]); the result is : temp2=184.37 Ergebnis=1 why is Ergebnis(j) still 1? It should be 184.37. Where is the problem, i am quite confused right now. "martin Müllinger" <zettinger@gmx.de> wrote in message <i9m736$gu7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > i have a strange problem. It seems so simple, but : > > disp(['temp2=',num2str(temp2(end))]); &g...

Burns DVD fine, but doesn't mount
When I burn a data DVD on my PowerBook with a SuperDrive (1.0 Ghz, G4, OS-X 10.3.3, 512 MB RAM...) the disk burns fine but when it is finished it doesn't mount. I either need to restart or (as I found out later) need to eject it with the eject button and reinsert it. I have noticed this with CD-R's before, and on other Macs I have owned. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those things I need to learn to live with? ...

Mounted disk partition doesn't show
Disk utility shows it and some apps can access it but it doesn't show on the desktop with other disk partitions and for this reason is unavailable to certain apps. I need to know what to do to make it appear! In article <bob-D6A836.15371818022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > Disk utility shows it and some apps can access it but it doesn't show on > the desktop with other disk partitions and for this reason is > unavailable to certain apps. I need to know what to do to make it > appear! This is an add-on drive that is partitioned. As a test I dismounted it and connected it to another computer. Same result. DiskUtility shows all the partitions mounted but there is no ikon on the desktop nor in the Go->Network setting for Finder for one of the partitions. Is OS X looking for some file to identify the partition on the desktop? If so, perhaps I can copy the file from a working partition and modify it. However, DiskUtility shows the partition correctly so it is getting its information from somewhere. I really need to get this working. I have an app that needs to access this partition and can't. In article <bob-A65495.15543418022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > In article <bob-D6A836.15371818022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, > Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > >...

M$ can't create an OS that doesn't get sick from viruses
Read and weep Win### http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-testing-fix-for-windows-phone-sms-bug-desktop-software-not-immune-29204989/ ...

System doesn't mount 2nd cdrom drive
I'm no expert so this may not be very explicit: my PC runs Suse Linux 9.1, it has a dvd drive and a cdrom drive. In the boot log I see both devices apparently detected and assigned to /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd respectively. When I start the session, my cdrom drive isn't mapped and does not appear in my hardware list. Suse usually mounts the drive on /dev/cdrom and maps it to /media/cdrom, but the /dev/cdrom mount point doesn't exist anymore (initially it was linked to /dev/hdc so I couldn't access the cdrom anyways). Any suggestion would be welcome. Sergio Millich <mill...

Why doesn't IBM spin off the OS/2 business??
As a long-time OS/2 user, it is intensely frustrating to see how badly IBM has misused their OS/2 software assets. As near as I can tell, their OS/2 'business plan' (and I use that term loosely) seems to be to quietly phase out the remaining OS/2 products over the next few years while do as little as they absolutely can to sell any new licenses. There seems to be no rational business reason to do that. OS/2 is a high-performance competitive 32-bit x86 operating system (and a port of the kernel to 64-bit x86-64 seems very doable) that provides excellent file systems, superb TC...

Finder doesn't know what to do with NFS mounted directories.
Have a directory in each user's home dir. Each of these is a mount point for that user's home directory on a FreeBSD Intel box (via NFS and the NetInfo /mounts/ dir) Dir shows up with network icon instead of folder icon in finder. No biggie. double click on icon. Opens window showing all dirs within FreeBSD dir also as network icons instead of folder icons. OK, still no biggie. double click on any of these icons--won't open. says "original item for alias not found. Please insert the disk <folder name> and wait for it to appear on the desktop." Use Terminal ...

Installed Panther, OS 9.2.2 can't see OS X Disk?
I have a G4 with two hard drives. I did a format and clean install of OS X on one drive and a format and clean install of OS 9.2.2 on the other one. When I boot into OS X I can see both Disk Drives. However, when I boot into OS 9 the system only sees the OS 9 Disk Drive. The other drive is not visible. I trying running Techtools but it can't see the OS X drive either. The OS X Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the other drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended. Is the Journaling format the cause of the problem? Is a Journaled-formatted disk invisible to OS 9...

VueScan, Umax, OS 9.2.2 and OS X won't play nice...
Beige G3 Mac 300 MT, OS 9.2.2 on one disk and 9.2.2/10.2 on an other one. Downloaded the version for 9.2.2 version and it will not do anything but open the VueScan splash screen and sit there "till the cows come home" and I force quit it. Umax software will run the scanner when booted from this disk. Version for OS X will make the ready light flash. Warm-up the lamps and move the edge of the live scan area and then retreat back in the stow away position. Any takers on, "What's up with that"? Larry Wangelin <lwangelin@toast.net> wrote: > Beig...

Fedora Core 2 Kernel 2.6.5-1.327: Mount CF Card returns: mount: <device> already mounted or <directory> busy
Hello, I'm Running Fedora Core 2 Test 3. I have a USB CF Card Reader: [root@neo /]# cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/3 Host scsi3: usb-storage Vendor: LEXAR MEDIA Product: CF CARD Serial Number: 1115321335949 Protocol: Transparent SCSI Transport: Bulk Quirks: When I try to mount it, I get the following error message: [root@neo /]# mount -t vfat /dev/sda3 /mnt/usb mount: /dev/sda3 already mounted or /mnt/usb busy My /etc/fstab file: usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 Any takers? Thx, Erasmo ...

text doesn't scale [wxGTK-2.4.2] #2
try .... m_pMyFont.SetPointSize( m_pMyFont.GetPointSize() ); dc.SetFont( m_pMyFont ); dc.DrawRotatetText( ... ); .... I had the same problem a while ago, before I decided to calc the userscale etc. by my self for better portability. There are some problems with the drawing and printing of text on different OS. The code above causes the font to be unreferenced and so the internal drawing methods will (hopefully) recalc the correct size for the actual userscale. Be sure to use a scalable (true type) font. chris --------------------------------------------...

Can't mount CD's or DVD's
The system: Dual Core Athlon 4Gig Mem. OS Opensuse 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13-15.12-smp x86_64 I've got 2 DVD drives. A cheap IDE DVD burner that lists as "DC DQ60" under the hardware listing and an old Creative SCSI DVD-RAM RAM1220S. They both were previously working fine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now neither one will mount any media I place in either one. I tried several CD's and DVD's that all mount fine in both a Suse 10.1 system and a RedHat EL 4.0 system. They contain various OS installs. Both drives are recognized and are listed in the YaST hardware listing. Both drives open wh...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

USB 2.0 device won't mount on x86
Hi All, I am running Solaris 9 4/03 on a Toshiba TE2100 laptop. I can successfully mount and use my Apacer 256MB USB 1.1 flash ram device on my laptop, but I cannot mount my Apacer 64MB USB 2.0 flash ram device. The syntax that I am using is: mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p0:1 /mnt The error message that I receive is: mount: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p0:1 is not a DOS filesystem. I am aware of the fact that the ":1" in the special device denotes the DOS partition table to use. I have also tried ":2", ":3", ":4" and ":c". I am fairly sure that it H...

Apparently dead drive doesn't mount, but still spins
Hi there. We have a seagate barracuda in a 733 mhz powermac G4 tower. The drive has worked very nicely for some time and contains copius amounts of priceless data we just can't live without (which, naturally enough, is why no one ever bothhered to back it up---after all, there's a recession on in tech, and someone has to help keep the data recovery people in business), which is why they called me which is why I'm calling you. If this were a even slightly profitable business, I'd say to hell with 'em, but their not, they're rather nice not-for-profit that I've know...

NFS can't read directory on OS X mount
We are starting to migrate some users to an Xserve running OS X 10.4.10, and we mount it with NFS from our Solaris servers (so Solaris is the NFS client), running Solaris 8, patched with the Recommended set as of March of this year. The problem is that several applications, when asked to present the files in a directory, show nothing. This is manifesting itself especially in Mail programs and IMAP/POP servers that are not showing any of the users' mail "folders" (really mbox files). Using these same programs under Linux (FC6) works fine. Not all directory reads fail, of cours...

Can't mount FAT32 partition in Fedora Core 2
Hi all, I install Fedora Core 2 to my new PC. I install WinXP first and create 2 partitions, one NTFS and one FAT32. The following lists my partition table. [root@stereo1 wtlo]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda Disk /dev/hda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes 16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 158816 cylinders Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/hda1 * 1 41613 20972826 7 HPFS/NTFS /dev/hda2 41613 158786 59054940 f W95 Ext'd (LBA) /dev/hda5 41613 62412 10482381 b W95 FAT32 /dev/hda6 62412 72570 5120010 83 Linux /dev/hda7 72571 103046 15359872+ 83 Linux /dev/hda8 103047 113205 5120104+ 83 Linux /dev/hda9 113206 117268 2047720+ 82 Linux swap /dev/hda10 117269 119300 1024096+ 83 Linux /dev/hda11 119301 158785 19900408+ 83 Linux [root@stereo1 wtlo]# I want to mount FAT32 partition (/dev/hda5) under Linux. However, I got the following result: [root@stereo1 wtlo]# mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5, or too many mounted file systems [root@stereo1 wtlo]# What's wrong with my system? -- ======== Regards, Wai-keung, Fung Department of Automation and Computer-Aided Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong Tel: (852)2609805...

Fat16 volumes in Mac OS X won't mount
I have a G4 laptop loaded with OS X 10.2.8. and a digital camera which uses Compact Flash media, and a PCMCIA-card CF media reader for reading the CF media from the laptop. Under OS 9, I could read the CF media on the mac with no problem. Since upgrading to OS X, I can't mount the CF volumes to read the digital image files. I tried running Disk Utility to see if it could detect the drive, and it shows up as a FAT16 volume. I cannot, however, mount the volume or access the files from OS X. How should I go about troubleshooting this problem? guppy <cmsk1234@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

Web resources about - why doesn't mount mount? #2 - comp.os.minix