why doesn't mount mount?

comp.os.minix
why doesn't mount mount?

The command:
   mount /dev/hd6 /aux
returns the error message:
   mount: No such file or directory.

   Anyone know what the error message implies? Is mount saying /dev/hd6 can't
be found? Fsck shows the listing below for /dev/hd6, which seems right just
after formatting by mkfs.

Hul

inode permission link   size name
     1 drwxrwxrwx   2      32 /

Checking zone map
Checking inode map
Checking inode list

blocksize =  1024        zonesize  =  1024

     0    Regular files
     1    Directory
     0    Block special files
     0    Character special files
 32015    Free inodes
     0    Named pipes
     0    Symbolic links
253992    Free zones
0
ht (85)
9/8/2012 7:59:36 AM
comp.os.minix 3363 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 09/08/2012 09:59 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:

> The command: mount /dev/hd6 /aux

> returns the error message: mount:
> No such file or directory.
>
> Anyone know what the error message implies? Is mount saying
> /dev/hd6 can't be found? Fsck shows the listing below for /dev/hd6,
> which seems right just after formatting by mkfs.

What about directory /aux

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.
> What about directory /aux

err... I hadn't thought about that. I was assuming mkfs
formatted the disk partition and left the directory name as "/".
Then mount would apply the new name. I'll see if the directory name
on the hd6 can be changed. Any suggestion as to how that should
be done?

Hul

Giovanni <lsodgf0@home.net.it> wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 09:59 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:

> > The command: mount /dev/hd6 /aux

> > returns the error message: mount:
> > No such file or directory.
> >
> > Anyone know what the error message implies? Is mount saying
> > /dev/hd6 can't be found? Fsck shows the listing below for /dev/hd6,
> > which seems right just after formatting by mkfs.

> What about directory /aux

> Ciao
> Giovanni
> --
>    A computer is like an air conditioner,
>    it stops working when you open Windows.
>    < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
0
dbr (64)
9/8/2012 12:29:58 PM
On 09/08/2012 02:29 PM, dbr@kbrx.com wrote:
>> What about directory /aux
>
> err... I hadn't thought about that. I was assuming mkfs formatted
> the disk partition and left the directory name as "/". Then mount
> would apply the new name. I'll see if the directory name on the hd6
> can be changed. Any suggestion as to how that should be done?

You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the
partition you formatted.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
   A computer is like an air conditioner,
   it stops working when you open Windows.
   < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
0
lsodgf0 (405)

why doesn't mount mount? #2
comp.os.minix why doesn't mount mount? The command was changed to: mount /dev/hd6 / and the returned error message changed also: mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system. Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what causes the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such error messages generally? Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions from here? Hul ************************************************** inode permission link size name 1 drwxrwxrwx 2 32 / Checking zone map Checking inode map Checking inode list blocksize = 1024 zonesize = 1024 0 Regular files 1 Directory 0 Block special files 0 Character special files 32015 Free inodes 0 Named pipes 0 Symbolic links 253992 Free zones On 09/08/2012 02:59 PM, Hul Tytus wrote: > The command was changed to: mount /dev/hd6 / and the returned error > message changed also: mount: /dev/hd6 is not a valid file system. > > Mount sure is picky... Any ideas, from the fsck listing below, what > causes the invalid file system error? Or what might result in such > error messages generally? > > Giovanni - thanks for noticing the wrong name. Any more suggestions > from here? You have to create the directory aux on the root partition, not in the partition you formatted. Mount command require that you speci...

mount -o remount of NFS doesn't preserve any mount options?
We're mounting a NAS filesystem via NFS to a SPARC Solaris 10 server, and had to remount on the fly due to a parameter change on the NAS device. The mount -o remount command neither preserved the existing mount options, nor read them from /etc/vfstab (they're the same). AFAIK it took all defaults, which caused some errors. I have resolved the issue by executing another remount and explicitly specifying all the mount options needed, but this behavior doesn't make sense to me. Is this normal behavior? I have researched the docs and the Web and don't see anything that...

DVD burns, doesn't mount
When I burn a data DVD on my PowerBook with a SuperDrive (1.0 Ghz, G4, OS-X 10.3.3, 512 MB RAM...) the disk burns fine but when it is finished it doesn't mount. I either need to restart or (as I found out later) need to eject it with the eject button and reinsert it. I have noticed this with CD-R's before, and on other Macs I have owned. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those things I need to learn to live with? ...

mount point has gone, device is mounted, can't umount device
Hi All, How stuffed am I? su-2.04# df -m Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12589 58% /usr/MS procfs 0 0 0 100% /proc /dev/da4s1e 1007 39 887 4% /mnt/rt su-2.04# cd /mnt/rt su: cd: /mnt/rt: Invalid argument Get same if I do mkdir /mnt/rt So How do I umount /dev/da4s1e? I cannot just reboot as I am not sure that da0 is still my boot drive, boot0cfg -v da0 boot0cfg: /dev/da0: unknown or incompatible boot code -- Mark Worsdall https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=LS79YHQ9VUGLJ On 2005-07-30, Mark Worsdall <freebsd@NoSpAmPlEaSe-wizdom.org.uk> wrote: > Hi All, > > How stuffed am I? > > su-2.04# df -m > Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/da0s1a 38 31 3 89% / > /dev/da0s1f 7991 2980 4370 41% /usr > /dev/da0s1e 193 151 26 85% /var > /dev/da1s1g 9093 5483 2882 66% /usr/local > /dev/da1s1e 2015 0 1854 0% /tmp > /dev/da1s1f 4032 265 3444 7% /usr/www > /dev/da2s1e 32509 17319 12...

Burns DVD fine, but doesn't mount
When I burn a data DVD on my PowerBook with a SuperDrive (1.0 Ghz, G4, OS-X 10.3.3, 512 MB RAM...) the disk burns fine but when it is finished it doesn't mount. I either need to restart or (as I found out later) need to eject it with the eject button and reinsert it. I have noticed this with CD-R's before, and on other Macs I have owned. Am I doing something wrong or is this one of those things I need to learn to live with? ...

Mounted disk partition doesn't show
Disk utility shows it and some apps can access it but it doesn't show on the desktop with other disk partitions and for this reason is unavailable to certain apps. I need to know what to do to make it appear! In article <bob-D6A836.15371818022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > Disk utility shows it and some apps can access it but it doesn't show on > the desktop with other disk partitions and for this reason is > unavailable to certain apps. I need to know what to do to make it > appear! This is an add-on drive that is partitioned. As a test I dismounted it and connected it to another computer. Same result. DiskUtility shows all the partitions mounted but there is no ikon on the desktop nor in the Go->Network setting for Finder for one of the partitions. Is OS X looking for some file to identify the partition on the desktop? If so, perhaps I can copy the file from a working partition and modify it. However, DiskUtility shows the partition correctly so it is getting its information from somewhere. I really need to get this working. I have an app that needs to access this partition and can't. In article <bob-A65495.15543418022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > In article <bob-D6A836.15371818022013@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>, > Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > >...

M$ can't create an OS that doesn't get sick from viruses
Read and weep Win### http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-testing-fix-for-windows-phone-sms-bug-desktop-software-not-immune-29204989/ ...

System doesn't mount 2nd cdrom drive
I'm no expert so this may not be very explicit: my PC runs Suse Linux 9.1, it has a dvd drive and a cdrom drive. In the boot log I see both devices apparently detected and assigned to /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd respectively. When I start the session, my cdrom drive isn't mapped and does not appear in my hardware list. Suse usually mounts the drive on /dev/cdrom and maps it to /media/cdrom, but the /dev/cdrom mount point doesn't exist anymore (initially it was linked to /dev/hdc so I couldn't access the cdrom anyways). Any suggestion would be welcome. Sergio Millich <mill...

Finder doesn't know what to do with NFS mounted directories.
Have a directory in each user's home dir. Each of these is a mount point for that user's home directory on a FreeBSD Intel box (via NFS and the NetInfo /mounts/ dir) Dir shows up with network icon instead of folder icon in finder. No biggie. double click on icon. Opens window showing all dirs within FreeBSD dir also as network icons instead of folder icons. OK, still no biggie. double click on any of these icons--won't open. says "original item for alias not found. Please insert the disk <folder name> and wait for it to appear on the desktop." Use Terminal ...

Can't mount CD's or DVD's
The system: Dual Core Athlon 4Gig Mem. OS Opensuse 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13-15.12-smp x86_64 I've got 2 DVD drives. A cheap IDE DVD burner that lists as "DC DQ60" under the hardware listing and an old Creative SCSI DVD-RAM RAM1220S. They both were previously working fine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now neither one will mount any media I place in either one. I tried several CD's and DVD's that all mount fine in both a Suse 10.1 system and a RedHat EL 4.0 system. They contain various OS installs. Both drives are recognized and are listed in the YaST hardware listing. Both drives open wh...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

Apparently dead drive doesn't mount, but still spins
Hi there. We have a seagate barracuda in a 733 mhz powermac G4 tower. The drive has worked very nicely for some time and contains copius amounts of priceless data we just can't live without (which, naturally enough, is why no one ever bothhered to back it up---after all, there's a recession on in tech, and someone has to help keep the data recovery people in business), which is why they called me which is why I'm calling you. If this were a even slightly profitable business, I'd say to hell with 'em, but their not, they're rather nice not-for-profit that I've know...

Fat16 volumes in Mac OS X won't mount
I have a G4 laptop loaded with OS X 10.2.8. and a digital camera which uses Compact Flash media, and a PCMCIA-card CF media reader for reading the CF media from the laptop. Under OS 9, I could read the CF media on the mac with no problem. Since upgrading to OS X, I can't mount the CF volumes to read the digital image files. I tried running Disk Utility to see if it could detect the drive, and it shows up as a FAT16 volume. I cannot, however, mount the volume or access the files from OS X. How should I go about troubleshooting this problem? guppy <cmsk1234@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

NFS can't read directory on OS X mount
We are starting to migrate some users to an Xserve running OS X 10.4.10, and we mount it with NFS from our Solaris servers (so Solaris is the NFS client), running Solaris 8, patched with the Recommended set as of March of this year. The problem is that several applications, when asked to present the files in a directory, show nothing. This is manifesting itself especially in Mail programs and IMAP/POP servers that are not showing any of the users' mail "folders" (really mbox files). Using these same programs under Linux (FC6) works fine. Not all directory reads fail, of cours...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when Mac OS X users don't exit/quit their programs correctly?
They don't use "Quit", but the window's red X button so they have tons of softwares still running in the background. They wonder why their Mac OS X is so slow due to low resources. And yes, I told the users zillions of times about it. They keep thinking Windows. :/ -- "Don't even step on an ant." --Greek /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

Matlab 2009b Installation Wizard doesn't recognise a mounted network drive
Dear Mr/Mrs i try to install Matlab 2009b on Windows 7 x64 with Matlab 2009b CD. On "Select license file" window I don't see any network drive, although i had mounted this network drive before i started Matlab Instalation. Could anybobe help me to solve this problem? Thank You in advance Bekir Stroil ...

Switching identity using kinit/kdestroy for NFSv4 mounts doesn't work

Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why?
Android microSD card won't mount on Linux OS (Unable to access). Why? What is this error telling me? a. Dolphin: http://i.imgur.com/DABMmKP.jpg b. Nautilus http://i.imgur.com/6XgdcI1.jpg ================================================================== Unable to access "134 GB Volume" Error mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 at /media/guest/21E3-00CC: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000, iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/media/guest/21E3-00CC"' exit...

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC.
cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC. Has anyone ran in to this before? OSR 5.0.7 Enterprise with Maintenance Pack 3. If I follow the steps from SCO's TA 125932 on how to create a multi session disk I can in fact do it without errors, but when I mount the cd and do a listing of the contents, it only shows the first session, not the second or third sessions... but if I put the CD in a Window's PC, it shows all of the files from each session without any problems. This is the TA link... followed by the steps within in ht...

OS X 10.6 can't mount DVD-Rs adhering to ISO 9660 (1999) ?!
Hi I recently bought a Mac and realized, to my horror, that it can't mount any of my data DVD-Rs, which were recorded using the ISO 9660:1999 format standard. Indeed, the Wikipedia seems to suggest that OS X does not support the format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660#Operating_system_support Is there any other way to mount the disks besides using a different OS? My searching the web turned up nothing usable. In article <ca878f1e-8268-49c4-b524-e904e0a4a3f0@m3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, Alex Miller <alex.etc.miller@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I recentl...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

iproute2 fwmark doesn't work (or iptables --set-mark doesn't)
Hi, I just subscribed this group. Hello everyone! I have a problem with setting up routing. In short, I want to mark certain packets with iptables and then catch these marks with iproute2. However Linux seems to ignore these marks. I have a 3.11.4 kernel with CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER and CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES set. Here's my setup: - eth0: LAN - IP 192.168.0.1, netmask /24 - It connects to the LAN - eth1: WAN - IP 192.168.1.180, netmask /24, gateway 192.168.1.1 - It connects to the Internet - tap0: VPN (created with OpenVPN) - Local IP 172.24.25.4, remote IP (and gateway) 172.24.25.2, netmask /24 I want to pass certain traffic through 192.168.1.1 (eth1) and certain through 172.24.25.2 (tap0) - local traffic as well as routed traffic. Rules will be somewhat complicated (for locally-generated traffic and routed traffic), now just let's assume that I want to mark all packets to go through 192.168.1.1. I have added two new routing tables to /etc/iproute2/rt_tables: #v+ 2 vpn 3 wan #v- I've created two of them, so the main table will not have a default gateway. This way I can avoid errors - if I make a mistake and traffic goes through the main table, it won't get out. Tables are then populated: #v+ ip route flush table main ip route add 192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0 table main ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth1 table main ip route add 172.24.25.0/24 dev tap0 table main ip route flush table...

Web resources about - why doesn't mount mount? - comp.os.minix