difference between Windows CE .Net 4.2 (SmartPhone) and Pocket PC 2003

Hi,
What is the difference between Windows CE .Net 4.2 (SmartPhone) and Pocket PC 2003?

Thanks

Deepabh
0
tdeepabh (3)
12/1/2003 2:03:29 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.ce 959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On a very high level Windows CE.NET 4.2 is an operating system. Smartphone
2003 and PocketPC 2003 are devices that run the Windows CE.NET 4.2 operating
system. Each have their own specific additional enhancements in the form of
API's. Take a look at this article for some background on different Windows
CE devices: http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT5612706156.html.
This FAQ gives amongst others an overview of the different development tools
for each of the devices:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/devmobfaq.asp.

--
Regards,

Maarten Struys, eMVP
PTS Software bv

"Deepabh Telang" <tdeepabh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> What is the difference between Windows CE .Net 4.2 (SmartPhone) and Pocket
PC 2003?

> Thanks
>
> Deepabh

migration to CE .net 4.2 (Windows CE) or Windows Mobile 2003 from Windows CE 3.0
I have an application developed under Embedded Visual Basic 3.0 (Edition 2002) that ran under Windows CE 3.0. When trying to run that application under .net 4.2 I'm getting an error such that "Cannot find extension file Forms Data. Please run setup to restore this file". Am I totally out of luck under CE .net 4.2 here and should better switch to Windows Mobile 2003? The vendor of the PDA offer the hardware with two OS options, .Net 4.2 or Windows mobile 2003. Is Windows mobile 2003 the successor of Windows CE 3.0 or is it a totally different animal? I'm a bit lost at the ...

Re: [tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003 #2
Hi, > I tested with TCP/IP sockets in a small client-server application. The > client connected to 127.0.0.1 and even without WLAN it worked well. > That's why I assume that there is a valid TCP/IP stack. Is that correct? You have then a valid stack, but I can't place your question/remark. Do things now work or not with/without wlan? Johnny > > >>I tested with TCP/IP sockets in a small client-server application. The >>client connected to 127.0.0.1 and even without WLAN it worked well. >>That's why I assume that there is a valid TCP/IP s...

[tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003
Hi, here's my tao-problem: TAO VERSION: 1.3.1 ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: x86, WinXP embedded Visual C++ 4.0 with Service Pack 2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: ARMV4, Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv); CORBA::Object_var obj = orb->resolve_initial_references ("RootPOA"); // crash! DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: Execution of my application. SYNOPSIS: On Windows CE ...

Re: [tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form. I have not used Windows CE, but the ORB always need a TCP/IP stack with Ipaddress. I can imagine that when you disable WLAN you don't have any tcpip stack, do you maybe have something like a loopback connector or something so that you always have an IP stack available? Regards Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl "Philipp Henkel" <p.henkel@bit-side.com> wrote in message news:<40A35343.8000100@bit-side.com>... > Hi, > here's my tao-problem: ...

Oracle Lite 10i / Windows CE 4.2.NET / ADO.NET
Hi, is it possible to install Oracle Lite as a standalone server on Windows CE.NET 4.2 with an automatically install procedure from ocj4? I want to use Ora lite (10i) with the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 / ADO.NET on a Windows CE.NET 4.2 mobile device. thanks a lot regards thorsten ...

Oracle Lite / Windows CE.NET 4.2 (PPC2003/ARM) / ADO.NET
Hi, is it possible to install Oracle Lite as a standalone server on Windows CE.NET 4.2 with an automatically install procedure from ocj4? I want to use Ora lite (10i) with the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 / ADO.NET on a Windows CE.NET 4.2 mobile device. thanks a lot regards thorsten ...

Building ACE for windows CE.net 4.2 by EVC4.0 SP2
ACE VERSION: 5.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS XP SP2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: WINDOWS CE.net 4.2 X86 custom SDK COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): EVC 4.0 SP2 DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? NO CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: #include "ace/config-Win32.h" SYNOPSIS: There is some problem when I build ACE with EVC4.1, such as --------------------Configuration: ACE - Win32 (WCE x86) Debug-------------------- Compiling... ACE.cpp ...\ace/Time_Value.h(56) : error C2526: '+' : C li...

wxWinCE for Windows CE 4.2
Hello, to build wxWinCE for Windows CE 4.2 I have downloaded - the latest CVS version (20042505) - the patch from www.koansoftware.com/wxwindows/wxwince.htm (dated 18.12.2003) - the project files from www.anthemion.co.uk/wxwin/wxwince.zip I got a lot of errors because the cpp files from the patch do not match the h files from CVS. E.g. in msw/listctrl.h m_baseStyle is not defined but it is used in listctrl.cpp. It is the same with the function DoCreateControl and many more. m_baseStyle and DoCreateControl was defined in 2.4.2 but is not in 2.5.1 and in the latest CVS. Is th...

LINUX ON WINDOWS CE POCKET PC
hai all i want to install linux on WINDOWS CE POCKET PC.The device name is Mio 558.how to start this project.If u have any documents related this ,help me out. Thanking you. with regards haranath.t emb in linux <haranath.t@gmail.com> wrote: > i want to install linux on WINDOWS CE POCKET PC.The device name is Mio > 558.how to start this project.If u have any documents related this > ,help me out. Have a surf over to http://www.handhelds.org...

Better DOS than DOS, better Windows than Windows, better OS/2 than OS/2 :-)))
Hello, hereby I officially announce my entry into "eCS lusers" crowd :-) Installed 1.1 entry upgrade from Warp 4 on Saturday. Until now I was at Warp 4 FP15, and the days of fixed-patched-1996-oldtimer are gone. Although OS/2 base system in eCS 1.1 does not considerably differ from CP2, the value of added software (especially SDK 4.52) made my day. I got up-to-date OS/2 with SDK and other SW for cca 109 euro (thanks to my Warp 4). Just one notice about eCS: Should have happened earlier, in Warp 3 times. And just a drop of poison for you-know-who: I was able to run all my OS/2 sof...

Seeking 'Teletype GPS' for H/PC MIPS (Windows CE 2.0, 2.11)
Greetings, Since 'Teletype' no longer markets its GPS software for MIPS-based H/PC (Windows CE 2.0, 2.11), I would appreciate help in obtaining this software. Would anyone care to part with their copy? Known version numbers run from 2.0 to 3.x Regards, Michael (msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org) ...

Database application on Windows CE Pocket PC
Hello, I have a Pocket PC with windows CE 2003. I have downloaded all the SDK and C++. I would like to develop a small database application which can be run from my pocket PC. I would like to have a small database on the pocket pc with an application which can retrieve information from the database. It also has to write back to the database. Can anyone advice or give me some examples of code so that I can start from there. Ideally I'd like to use VB or Java, but I don't know if I can use that on a Pocket PC. Many thanks in advance, Allan FileMakerPro has a mobile database now for ...

task manager windows ce 4.2
Hello, does someone knows if there is a task manager in Win CE 4.2, or some equivalent to kill running app ? Thank's for reply. Olivier Steinberg On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:23:23 +0200, "Forums Emplois" <olivier@stelog.com> wrote: >Hello, does someone knows if there is a task manager in Win CE 4.2, or some >equivalent to kill running app ? For a device with a keyboard, Ctrl, Alt, Del works. For a non-Pocket PC device with a virtual keyboard, pressing Ctrl, then Alt, then Del works. For many, including Pocket PC, Start->Control Panel->System->Memory or Start->Settings->System->Running Programs, or some variant works. I just tried used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up ce 4.2 task manager but didn't have much luck. A different search string might work. Chris De Herrera's web site is a great source. I didn't see anything obvious in is collection of FAQs, but you should look anyway: http://www.cewindows.net/faqs.htm > >Thank's for reply. > >Olivier Steinberg > ----------------------------------------- To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message). Robert E. Zaret, eMVP PenFact, Inc. 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R Boston, MA 02118 www.penfact.com ...

How Virtual Machine for Windows CE 4.2 ???
I need Virtual Machine for Windows CE 4.2. How ??? Thank you very much for the answer. Marco Italy ...

Windows CE, Windows Mobile
Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! === sgb sgbailey@iee.org wrote: > Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld > PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). > > I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it > - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! I am curious as well :-) From the top of my head, there is ...

Windows CE with "application level driver" instead of real Windows CE driver"?
Hello, I'm interesting to know if it is possible to compile Windows CE without display driver, and then at application level configure the dispaly hardware? Can it work? The reason i want to do it is because I have now application that working on board with PXA255 without operation system(application have access directly to the harware), and I need to port the application on Windows CE. If I will be able to use my current display driver instead of developing a new one that depends on WINCE, I will be able to use my current graphic function without any changes. Otherwise I will need to redo all my graphics... Can any one advice me if it is possible? Thanks in advance and Best Regards, Alex ...

USB Ethernet Adpater for Windows CE 4.2
Does anybody know of an available driver for a USB Ethernet Adapter that runs under Windows CE 4.2? ...

Ceating Keyboard Layout in windows Ce 4.2
We are using Platform Builder 4.2. We created il.cpp and dl.cpp files which were used kbdgen.exe tool. And then we created kbd..dll with EVC++4.0. We put this .dll file in to release directory and define the Layout File, Layout Text and PS2_AT values [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\0000041f] "Layout File"="Input Language DLL name goes here" "Layout Text"="Input Locale description goes here" "PS2_AT"="Device Layout DLL name goes here" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload\1] @="0000041f" then rebuild platform but unfortunately new keyboard was not recognized. What can I do? Thanks, Tolga Karalar ESIT Electronic TURKEY If you are going to post the same question in multiple newsgroups, please post to all at once, so everyone can see and/or participate in the whole discussion. You already posted your question in microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder, and that seems a far more appropriate place, so I recommend ignoring this thread. On 10 Mar 2006 07:10:18 -0800, "Lizard King" <tolgakaralar@yahoo.com> wrote: >We are using Platform Builder 4.2. We created il.cpp and dl.cpp files >which were used kbdgen.exe tool. And then we created kbd..dll with >EVC++4.0. >We put this .dll file in to release directory and define the Layout >File, Layout Text and PS2_AT values >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\La...

Rendering PDF to bitmaps on Windows CE or Pocket PC (C++)
Hi all, I have to write an application for a Symbol handheld computer which is capable of printing PDF files on a Bluetooth printer. The first way I tried was to employ the Adobe Reader for Pocket PC. But unfortunately, Windows CE has no unified printing subsystem as has Windows, but instead there are several incompatible solutions. Adobe Reader uses the HP Mobile Printing SDK, which refuses to work the actual printer on the actual handheld I have to use. ASAIK printing with my special configuration works only if I use the Symbol printer drivers that are shipped with this handheld. But, alas,...

Problem with installation .cab file on windows CE 4.2
Hello I have a problem with the installation of the .cab file on Windows CE 4.2 on a touchscreen terminal. http://www.bluechips.co.th/products.php?content_id=16&main_menu_id=4&language_id=5 (=VGT001) I have made .cab file on VS 2003 ( I have made a Smart Device Application on VS2003, the program works on the VS 2003 Emulator in debug mode), than I have made a .cab file ("Build" ==> "Build CaP file") => VS generates the .cab files for several processors. But I have instal all the .cap files, one by one, and none of theme work. They instal my .exe file but they don't open. ( For installing I have did transfer my file to the terminal (shared files) and then dubble click on theme for installing) ..net Compact Framework is installed on de Terminal (Don't know which version) Processor type: Intel (R) PXA 250 Generated files: SmartDeviceApplication1_ PPC.ARM.CAB PPC.ARMV4.CAB PPC.MIPS.CAB PPC.SH3.CAB PPC.WCE420X86.CAB PPC.X86.CAB WCE4.ARMV4.CAB WCE4.ARMV4T.CAB WCE4.MIPS16.CAB WCE4.MIPSII.CAB WCE4.MIPSII_FP.CAB WCE4.MIPSIV.CAB WCE4.MIPSIV_FP.CAB WCE4.SH3.CAB WCE4.SH4.CAB WCE4.X86.CAB What do I wrongly? On Apr 23, 2:37 am, krisvanrey...@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello > > I have a problem with the installation of the .cab file on Windows CE > 4.2 on a touchscreen terminal. > http://www.bluechips.co.th/products.php?content_id=16&main_menu_id=4&... > (=VGT001) > > I have mad...

Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002 Development
Hi All! I'm working in a PDA project and have to make a proposal for the development of a application on Windows based Handhelds. I have two operating systems here. Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002. What development tool is the best, so that I can ensure that my program will run on both systems. Do you have any tipps for. The best would be, to ensure, that the software will also run on a PPC2003 system. The information provided by microsoft is very unclear concerning this, so I know that the PPC - systems are based on CE, but what does this mean for my developments? Sure, I can't use certain DLL etc.! But my main concern is....can I create a application running on both (or even all) systems, if not, what do I have to do, which different development tools do I need for each system. Thanks a lot for helping me through the jungle of the microsoft world! Christoph Christoph, Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002 and Handheld PC 2000 all use a flavour of Windows CE 3 as the core operating system to which the the platform sits above. Pocket PC 2003 uses Windows CE 4 as the core operating system. I use eMbedded Visual Tools 2002 edition to create applications for different platforms along with the correct SDK. You will in most instances be able to create applications for the Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 without many problems assuming a database is not required though this can be easily resolved with a patch for 2003. I also use Visual Studio.Net 2003 at work with the compact framewor...

xpcapi.dll for Windows CE 4.2 on ARM 7 ?
Dear All! Is there a chance to get the xpcapi.dll compiled for Windows CE 4.2 on ARM 7? Or is there a chance to get the source for it? Has somebody dealt with this topic in the past? I'd like to control an XPC application from a WinCE computer and the only way I see to control the XPC Target is through this dll (Web Interface is not an option). Or is the protocol via Ethernet or Serial Port open and available? Thanx in advance! Franz Auinger ...

SOAP Toolkit and Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0
I have searched usenet and MSDN and have been unable to locate information on what versions of the SOAP toolkit are included with Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0. I found one article that implied that CE 4.2 had the SOAP toolkit v2. Thank you, Todd This is from the dev who used to own SOAP toolkit but has left the group. I thought it was 2.2 also before asking him. < oh man, its either 2.1 or 2.2 - if I remember correctly its one version back from the newest (which I believe is 3.0) so based on that, 2.2 sounds right > -- John Spaith Software Design Engineer, Windows CE Microsoft Corporation Check out the new CE Networking Team Blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/cenet/. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. � 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. <tstephan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1106062653.742685.155970@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have searched usenet and MSDN and have been unable to locate > information on what versions of the SOAP toolkit are included with > Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0. I found one article that implied that CE 4.2 > had the SOAP toolkit v2. > > Thank you, > Todd > ...

OS/2 C60 programs converted into MS windows programs?Information on OS/2 C60?
Hello, all I am working on a project that needs to convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I found it difficult to find useful information. Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites? 1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs? 2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web sites...? 3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2 and in MS windows? Any tips are appreciated. Coca In article <g95ci0p98npj1f40pldt888mo286km1fme@4ax.com>, Coca <bigmelon@btamail.net.cn> wrote: >I am working on a project that nee...

Web resources about - difference between Windows CE .Net 4.2 (SmartPhone) and Pocket PC 2003 - comp.os.ms-windows.ce

NAB Challenge: On-fire Fyfe the difference as Fremantle edge Adelaide
Nat Fyfe didn't appear to get out of first gear in Fremantle's thrilling two-point NAB Challenge win over Adelaide at Mount Barker on Sunday. ...

Matildas achieve target of boosting goal difference with 9-0 Olympic qualifier win over Vietnam
Australia's goal avalanche at the expense of a hapless Vietnam provides an important boost says Matildas captain Clare Polkinghorne.

Celebrity Age Gaps: Famous Parents With The Biggest Age Difference 0
... all, even age. Love transcends all, even age. Just take a look at Celine Dion and late husband René Angélil . Despite their 26-year age difference, ...

Attitude differences
... between Poverty and Genteel Poverty, and between New Wealth and Old. But let's just say some of it generally applies, sometimes. Differences ...

Can voters tell the difference between a Trump quote and a Hitler quote?
How can one compare Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler? One is a highly successful businessman turned presidential candidate with absolutely no consistency ...

Bulpett: Celtics made bid for Jimmy Butler in search of 'difference maker'
We were told repeatedly in the days leading up to the NBA trade deadline the Celtics were pushing hard to muster their assets and buy themselves ...

Sanders stresses differences with Clinton in Super Tuesday run-up
"I don't go to Wall Street in the morning and talk to unions in the afternoon," senator tells steelworkers