Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002 Development

Hi All!

I'm working in a PDA project and have to make a proposal for the
development of a application on Windows based Handhelds. I have two
operating systems here. Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002. What
development tool is the best, so that I can ensure that my program
will run on both systems. Do you have any tipps for. The best would
be, to ensure, that the software will also run on a PPC2003 system.
The information provided by microsoft is very unclear concerning this,
so I know that the PPC - systems are based on CE, but what does this
mean for my developments? Sure, I can't use certain DLL etc.! But my
main concern is....can I create a application running on both (or even
all) systems, if not, what do I have to do, which different
development tools do I need for each system.

Thanks a lot for helping me through the jungle of the microsoft world!
Christoph
comp.os.ms-windows.ce 959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Christoph,

Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002 and Handheld PC 2000 all use a flavour of Windows
CE 3 as the core operating system to which the the platform sits above.
Pocket PC 2003 uses Windows CE 4 as the core operating system.

I use eMbedded Visual Tools 2002 edition to create applications for
different platforms along with the correct SDK.  You will in most instances
be able to create applications for the Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 without many
problems assuming a database is not required though this can be easily
resolved with a patch for 2003.

I also use Visual Studio.Net 2003 at work with the compact framework.

I would suggest going to the following site and read up on the developer
section...  http://www.microsoft.com/mobile

Simon

"Christoph Neumann" <christoph.neumann.cn@bayer-ag.de> wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> I'm working in a PDA project and have to make a proposal for the
> development of a application on Windows based Handhelds. I have two
> operating systems here. Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002. What
> development tool is the best, so that I can ensure that my program
> will run on both systems. Do you have any tipps for. The best would
> be, to ensure, that the software will also run on a PPC2003 system.
> The information provided by microsoft is very unclear concerning this,
> so I know that the PPC - systems are based on CE, but what does this
> mean for my developments? Sure, I can't use certain DLL etc.! But my
> main concern is....can I create a application running on both (or even
> all) systems, if not, what do I have to do, which different
> development tools do I need for each system.
>
> Thanks a lot for helping me through the jungle of the microsoft world!
> Christoph

0
sbamber69 (1)
10/21/2003 11:31:27 AM
On 20 Oct 2003 18:45:35 -0700, christoph.neumann.cn@bayer-ag.de
(Christoph  Neumann) wrote:

>Hi All!
>
>I'm working in a PDA project and have to make a proposal for the
>development of a application on Windows based Handhelds. I have two
>operating systems here. Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002. What
>development tool is the best, so that I can ensure that my program
>will run on both systems. Do you have any tipps for. The best would
>be, to ensure, that the software will also run on a PPC2003 system.
>The information provided by microsoft is very unclear concerning this,
>so I know that the PPC - systems are based on CE, but what does this
>mean for my developments? Sure, I can't use certain DLL etc.! But my
>main concern is....can I create a application running on both (or even
>all) systems, if not, what do I have to do, which different
>development tools do I need for each system.

With a bit of care, it is possible to build executables that run on
multiple platforms (HPC Pro, Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC
2003).  Use the SDK for the oldest platform.  Avoid MFC and eVB. And
avoid using any features not found in all of them (I _think_ this is
not a problem for the Pocket PC group (my term for Pocket PC, Pocket
PC 2002, and Pocket PC 2003), but know it is an issue for HPC vs
Palm-size PC /Pocket PC).

For questions specific to development for the Pocket PC group, try
microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

>Thanks a lot for helping me through the jungle of the microsoft world!
>Christoph

Robert E. Zaret
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
0
r_z_aret (241)

migration to CE .net 4.2 (Windows CE) or Windows Mobile 2003 from Windows CE 3.0
I have an application developed under Embedded Visual Basic 3.0 (Edition 2002) that ran under Windows CE 3.0. When trying to run that application under .net 4.2 I'm getting an error such that "Cannot find extension file Forms Data. Please run setup to restore this file". Am I totally out of luck under CE .net 4.2 here and should better switch to Windows Mobile 2003? The vendor of the PDA offer the hardware with two OS options, .Net 4.2 or Windows mobile 2003. Is Windows mobile 2003 the successor of Windows CE 3.0 or is it a totally different animal? I'm a bit lost at the ...

[tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003
Hi, here's my tao-problem: TAO VERSION: 1.3.1 ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: x86, WinXP embedded Visual C++ 4.0 with Service Pack 2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: ARMV4, Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv); CORBA::Object_var obj = orb->resolve_initial_references ("RootPOA"); // crash! DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: Execution of my application. SYNOPSIS: On Windows CE ...

Re: [tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form. I have not used Windows CE, but the ORB always need a TCP/IP stack with Ipaddress. I can imagine that when you disable WLAN you don't have any tcpip stack, do you maybe have something like a loopback connector or something so that you always have an IP stack available? Regards Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl "Philipp Henkel" <p.henkel@bit-side.com> wrote in message news:<40A35343.8000100@bit-side.com>... > Hi, > here's my tao-problem: ...

Windows CE 5.0 versus Windows Mobile 5.0: Code protability
Does anyone here know if the code written for WIndows CE 5.0 will run without making any changes in the source code as it is on Windows Mobile 5.0? i.e. does the code targetted for Windows CE 5.0 will also run on Windows Mobile 5.0? I know that Windows Mobile 5.0 is based on the code base of WinCE 5.0, so logically it does mean that the code should be portable without making any chagnes. True? -RainBow Please see a current thread called "Code Protability across Windows CE versus Windows Mobile" in comp.sys.handhelds, On 30 Jun 2005 22:46:29 -0700, "RainBow" <drvir...

Re: [tao-users] Crash while grabbing RootPOA on Windows CE 4.0 / Pocket PC 2003 #2
Hi, > I tested with TCP/IP sockets in a small client-server application. The > client connected to 127.0.0.1 and even without WLAN it worked well. > That's why I assume that there is a valid TCP/IP stack. Is that correct? You have then a valid stack, but I can't place your question/remark. Do things now work or not with/without wlan? Johnny > > >>I tested with TCP/IP sockets in a small client-server application. The >>client connected to 127.0.0.1 and even without WLAN it worked well. >>That's why I assume that there is a valid TCP/IP s...

Programming for Windows CE/Windows 7.0 Phone
I'd like to write small programs for Windows CE/Windows 7.0 Phone. Is it possible to write using C or C++? After googling around I have found conflicting info that I must write in C# or Silverlight and not plain vanilla C. I am confortable with Win32 C programming and I have a lot of source code which I would like to use with minimal conversion. On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:41:56 +0200, John Smith <do_not_use@invalid.address.com> wrote: >I'd like to write small programs for Windows CE/Windows 7.0 Phone. >Is it possible to write using C or C++? After googling around I h...

LINUX ON WINDOWS CE POCKET PC
hai all i want to install linux on WINDOWS CE POCKET PC.The device name is Mio 558.how to start this project.If u have any documents related this ,help me out. Thanking you. with regards haranath.t emb in linux <haranath.t@gmail.com> wrote: > i want to install linux on WINDOWS CE POCKET PC.The device name is Mio > 558.how to start this project.If u have any documents related this > ,help me out. Have a surf over to http://www.handhelds.org...

Windows CE 3.0 : compatible?
Hi, &nbsp; I have an iPAQ Pocket PC h5450, (ROM date = 05/24/03) &nbsp; OS version = Windows CE 3.0 (says so in 'Asset Viewer') &nbsp; I have LabVIEW 8.20 and the latest PDA toolkit. &nbsp; I am an LabVIEW developer (alliance member), but yet I can't seem to get it to work. &nbsp; keep getting errors when downloading Error - create process failed with error code 1150 &nbsp; In emulation, it works okay. &nbsp; My question : will the toolkit work with Windows CE 3.0? &nbsp; Thx, Thomas. &nbsp; Thanx! I guess I'll have to upgrade :-) &nbsp;...

Porting
Has anyone attempted a port to Windows CE 3.0? Al Al Larson wrote: > Has anyone attempted a port to Windows CE 3.0? Yes: http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/1745097 -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions Thanks. That's great. I see the binaries are ARM specific. My BE-300 has a MIPS processor. Are you aware if anyone has had success with a MIPS CE port of Tcl/Tk? Is the CELIB.DLL I see referenced ARM specific too? Still on a steep le...

windows 3.0 or windows 3.1
hi, everyone... can you help me? i couldn't find a copy of win3.0 or win 3.1 for my old pc 80286.. someone knows where can i found it?.. sorry my english "Eddie Pistolas" <kojiro@kmail.kicks-ass.org> wrote in message news:3f163271$1_1@nova.entelchile.net... > hi, everyone... can you help me? i couldn't find a copy of win3.0 or win 3.1 > for my old pc 80286.. someone knows where can i found it?.. sorry my english > > you may want to check in on www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/helpline ...

Database application on Windows CE Pocket PC
Hello, I have a Pocket PC with windows CE 2003. I have downloaded all the SDK and C++. I would like to develop a small database application which can be run from my pocket PC. I would like to have a small database on the pocket pc with an application which can retrieve information from the database. It also has to write back to the database. Can anyone advice or give me some examples of code so that I can start from there. Ideally I'd like to use VB or Java, but I don't know if I can use that on a Pocket PC. Many thanks in advance, Allan FileMakerPro has a mobile database now for ...

Windows CE 4.0: development options?
I've developed a C# Smart Device application in VS Professional 2003. Runs great on Pocket PC's. However, can't get the SqlServerCE database to run on our Windows CE 4.0 devices. Two questions: 1. Are there any other relational databases that will run on Win CE 4.0? 2. What would the best programming option be, if our application as a whole will not run on WinCE 4.0, even without the SqlServerCE database? and oh yeah: 3. Was WinCE 4.0 simply meant as a "tech preview" OS, hence its poor (unguaranteed) support of the .NET CF? I definitely don't have a direct answer for you. However, I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up windows ce 4 sqlserverce and got 25 hits. I think at least a few are _very_ relevant. On 23 Apr 2004 12:30:35 -0700, mjmst74@hotmail.com (joe fork) wrote: >I've developed a C# Smart Device application in VS Professional 2003. >Runs great on Pocket PC's. However, can't get the SqlServerCE >database to run on our Windows CE 4.0 devices. Two questions: > >1. Are there any other relational databases that will run on Win CE >4.0? >2. What would the best programming option be, if our application as a >whole will not run on WinCE 4.0, even without the SqlServerCE >database? > >and oh yeah: 3. Was WinCE 4.0 simply meant as a "tech preview" OS, >hence its poor (unguaranteed) support of the .NET CF? ----------------------------------------...

Windows CE 3.0 and motorola T720
Hi I am trying to connnect my Windows CE 3.0 device to the web via a motorola cell phone, which is internet ready. I have the correct cable, and i have tried making a new network connection, but i not having any luck with establishing a connection. can somebody explain how this can be accomplished? cory On 14 Feb 2005 08:19:38 -0800, sully_73@hotmail.com wrote: >Hi > >I am trying to connnect my Windows CE 3.0 device to the web via a >motorola cell phone, which is internet ready. Does "internet ready" mean a) the cell phone includes a browser or b) the cell phone can act as a modem? I suspect the former. Each of the Motorola phones I have (V66 and ST7868W) can act as a modem, and says it is "data ready". I found a spec sheet for the T720 at Motorola: http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/phone_comp.html and notice the list of accessories does not include any data or connectivity options. On the other hand, the similar spec sheet for the V66: http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=241675&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode= does include "Connectivity and Data Kits". > >I have the correct cable, and i have tried making a new network >connection, but i not having any luck with establishing a connection. Serial or USB? Correct for "big" Windows or CE? If the cable is USB, you are probably out of luck. Very few Windows CE computers support USB "host"...

How do I . . . Windows CE 3.0 Image dumps
We have a few Handhelds (running windows ce 3.0) that our programmer (running MS Visual Studio 6.0 sp5) is developing a application for, he can download the application onto the handheld, then configure it for the person operating it. Our ultimate goal is to get each of the handheld's completely backed up to an image of some type. Because, right now if the handheld's die (batteries die or something) they have to come back to our developer to reload the application (then configure it again). This isn't an option for us. We want to send the handheld out with our guys with a cdrom with their image on the CD. If their handheld dies then they could boot their PC with the cdrom or boot to windows and dump their image from CD to handheld. So in summary, we need to be able to configure a handheld, dump an image off of the handheld to cdrom (or something), then have these remote users have the ability to put the image back on their handhelds. If you could offer me any tips on how to achieve these goals I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in Advance, Bennie Bennie napisa=B3(a): > So in summary, we need to be able to configure a handheld, dump an > image off of the handheld to cdrom (or something), then have these > remote users have the ability to put the image back on their > handhelds. > > If you could offer me any tips on how to achieve these goals I'd > really appreciate it. Try using backup function from ActiveSync- it dumps all da...

Yes, it runs Windows (CE 3.0)
http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/ Go ahead and get the orgiastic squeals out of your systems, nutcases. On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:52:08 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/ > > Go ahead and get the orgiastic squeals out of your systems, nutcases. Talking to yourself again? -- Kier On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:52:08 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/ > > Go ahead and get the orgiastic squeals out of your systems, nutcases. Although I don't think E-Voting is ready for prime time yet, Diebold released a statement saying t...

Windows CE, Windows Mobile
Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! === sgb sgbailey@iee.org wrote: > Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld > PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). > > I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it > - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! I am curious as well :-) From the top of my head, there is ...

Windows CE with "application level driver" instead of real Windows CE driver"?
Hello, I'm interesting to know if it is possible to compile Windows CE without display driver, and then at application level configure the dispaly hardware? Can it work? The reason i want to do it is because I have now application that working on board with PXA255 without operation system(application have access directly to the harware), and I need to port the application on Windows CE. If I will be able to use my current display driver instead of developing a new one that depends on WINCE, I will be able to use my current graphic function without any changes. Otherwise I will need to redo all my graphics... Can any one advice me if it is possible? Thanks in advance and Best Regards, Alex ...

Windows CE 3.0 and Secure Internet Connection?
The answers have been in terms of changing some of the registry settings, after downloading and installing the 128-bit encryption patch. This is the primary setting that needed to be changed. I don't have this setting on Windows CE 3.0. Does anyone have any ideas? HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\ ...

HELP: AudioVox RTM8000 on Windows CE 3.0
Hi, Does anyone know if AudioVox RTM 8000 can be installed on Windows CE 3.0 device? I've seen the manual and it only provides driver for PocketPC 2000 and 2002. Other websites claims it can be worked on Windows CE 3.0. I am trying to find out if it works on our device.. http://www.logostek.com/english/xpda_overview.htm It has Windows CE 3.0 and CF type I and II slot. If anyone have tried it please tell me if it is possible. Also, do anyone know, if there is GSM/GPRS card with Windows CE 3.0 device driver? I will really appreciate help on this matter. Thank you. ====...

Test to speech program for Windows CE 3.0
Is there a Text to speech program for Windows CE 3.0? I have a few books for Microsoft Reader and like to listen to them but I Can't find a text to speech program that will work. In the help files of MS reader is said to use Audible to liston to the books but I can't get the program to work with MS reader. Can anyone help. Donald On 22 Apr 2007 12:58:31 -0700, dunn@tvscable.com wrote: >Is there a Text to speech program for Windows CE 3.0? I have a few >books for Microsoft Reader and like to listen to them but I Can't find >a text to speech program that will work. In the help files of MS >reader is said to use Audible to liston to the books but I can't get >the program to work with MS reader. Can anyone help. I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up tts in microsoft.public.pocketpc and got 23 hits. I took a quick lookand am pretty sure at least some are relevant and useful. > >Donald ----------------------------------------- To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message). Robert E. Zaret, eMVP PenFact, Inc. 20 Park Plaza, Suite 400 Boston, MA 02116 www.penfact.com ...

Windows CE 3.0 and Secure Internet Connection
The answers have been in terms of changing some of the registry settings, after downloading and installing the 128-bit encryption patch. This is the primary setting that needed to be changed. I don't have this setting on Windows CE 3.0. Does anyone have any ideas? HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\ ...

Rendering PDF to bitmaps on Windows CE or Pocket PC (C++)
Hi all, I have to write an application for a Symbol handheld computer which is capable of printing PDF files on a Bluetooth printer. The first way I tried was to employ the Adobe Reader for Pocket PC. But unfortunately, Windows CE has no unified printing subsystem as has Windows, but instead there are several incompatible solutions. Adobe Reader uses the HP Mobile Printing SDK, which refuses to work the actual printer on the actual handheld I have to use. ASAIK printing with my special configuration works only if I use the Symbol printer drivers that are shipped with this handheld. But, alas,...

Windows CE on a PC
Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an emulator etc...). What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS such as Win XP, Linux etc... Thanks in advance for your help. John I do not think so. I do not know why you would desire to run your PC with CE. John On Sun, 24 Apr 2004, John wrote: > Date: 24 Apr 2004 19:48:02 -0700 > From: John <john@frontlogic.com> > Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.ce > Subject: Windows CE on a PC > > Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an > emulator etc...). What are the (dis)advanteges compared to a full OS > such as Win XP, Linux etc... > > Thanks in advance for your help. > > John > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. On 24 Apr 2004 19:48:02 -0700, john@frontlogic.com (John) wrote: >Is it possible to run WIN CE on a PC as the native OS (ie w/o an >emulator etc...). Not with any retail version of Windows CE. Microsoft does have a tool (Platform Builder) for building custom versions of Windows CE, and folks do use it to build versions that run on x86 CPUs for embedded systems. I think a free trial ...

Anyway to upgrade Windows CE 3.0 (Compaq iPAQ 3630) ?
Hi there, Because my appointments and such are increasing a little, and I somewhat consider my trusty old Psion 5mx a little too old, I dug up my Compaq iPAQ 3660 and reconfigured it to suit my needs. Allthough I haven't really used this device much yet (I initially bought it second hand to play a little with it) I'm really starting to enjoy its versatility. Which brings me to keeping the device up to date... I know its a little late to talk about Windows CE 3.0 while Microsoft has already released version 5.0 of their mobile Windows versions but can someone tell me if its actually possible to update this machine's OS ? So far I managed to get a ROM update from the HP website and now I'm looking at the software... From what I read so far on the Windows CE homepage: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/windowsce/default.aspx .... some updates are still available and can be downloaded from the "update page", which can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/downloads/ce/wince/default.aspx .... but unfortunatly the updates for Windows CE 3.0 which you can download from that page all require the use of something called a "CE platform builder". Can anyone enlighten me if its still possible to download this for CE 3.0 ? -- Groetjes, Peter ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:04:47 -0000, Lion-O <nosp@m.catslair.org> wrote: >Hi there, > >Because my appointments and such a...

Web resources about - Windows CE 3.0 and Pocket PC 2002 Development - comp.os.ms-windows.ce

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert C. Weaver Federal Building , 451 7th Street SW , Washington, D.C. 38°53′2.17″N 77°1′21.03″W  /  38.8839361°N 77.0225083°W  / 38.8839361; ...

First lots of Peet’s Flagstone City development released to market - The Courier-Mail Search Search
THE FIRST lots of the multi-billion dollar Flagstone development have been released to the market.

Battle on to save 'Perth's favourite jacaranda' from Bayswater development site
Despite losing the war against a Bayswater development, residents might win the battle to save 'Perth's favourite jacaranda'.

Development assessment panel anger to be key for 2017 election campaign: WA expert
A West Australian planning body has identified big development approvals as a key 2017 election decider after the Supreme Court overturned approval ...

Microsoft announces HoloLens Development Edition, available for pre-order now
... a year ago , but since then there’s been no word on when we can actually expect to see it. Today, however, Microsoft announces a Development ...

Juno's influx of cash to drive drug development in 2016
Seattle-based Juno Therapeutics (Nasdaq: JUNO) has more than doubled the amount of cash it has, giving it a deeper pool of capital for its cancer ...

BOOM: Huge New Developments in Clinton Email Scandal
By Abdul X. Abercrombie Two extremely significant stories broke today in The Washington Post and The New York Times regarding the FBI's investigation ...

28 hours of lessons for developing your web-development skills
Learning to code is a surefire way to expand job prospects and improve your salary. The technologies and techniques of digital development might ...

'Minecraft' Update 1.10 Already In Development With A New Mob, Says Mojang Lead
"Minecraft's" huge 1.9 update was just released, but 1.10 is already in the works according to sources at Mojang. Read the tease of a new mob ...