Windows CE .NET & Visual Studio .NET

Hi,

Do anybody know is it necessary to install Visual Studio .NET
separately in an Windows CE .NET environment or not? Is Visual Studio
..NET IDE is already in the Windows CE .NET OS ?

Regards
Dev

0
xzidax (13)
6/25/2005 11:00:13 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.ce 959 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Dev,

my experience with WCE 4.2 says that : WCE 4.2 comes with integrated
Platform Builder (you build the image for your target device, adding
features and components) and Embedded Visual C++ ( to create
applications in unmanaged code using MFC,WTL,etc...)in a separate CD.
On the other side, on Visual Studio.NET you can create, debug and
download also managed code applications (C#, Framework,...) to your
device.

I hope this can help you

Regards
Diego

0
dfraccaro (2)
7/5/2005 3:18:22 PM
On 25 Jun 2005 04:00:13 -0700, "dev" <xzidax@india.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Do anybody know is it necessary to install Visual Studio .NET
>separately in an Windows CE .NET environment or not? Is Visual Studio
>.NET IDE is already in the Windows CE .NET OS ?

I use Visual Studio only for building _desktop_ applications (I use
eVC for mobile apps), so I don't know quite enough to answer your
questions fully. But I'll at least try.

The Windows CE operating system is for mobile devices. Visual Studio
runs on desktops. So _no_ part of Visual Studio runs under Windows CE.

Some versions of Visual Studio 2003 will let folks use .NET languages
(C# and VB) to develop applications that run with the CF (Compact
Framework) under Windows CE. The next/newest version of Visual Studio
(2005?) will support native code and applications that can run without
the CF.

I'm quite sure Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC (a platform based on
version 4.2 of the Windows CE operating system) includes CF. But
manufacturers that use version 4.2 in other platforms are free to
include or exclude CF. Similar for Windows Mobile 2005 for Pocket PC
(based on version 5 of the operating system).

>Regards
>Dev

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
0
r_z_aret (241)

migration to CE .net 4.2 (Windows CE) or Windows Mobile 2003 from Windows CE 3.0
I have an application developed under Embedded Visual Basic 3.0 (Edition 2002) that ran under Windows CE 3.0. When trying to run that application under .net 4.2 I'm getting an error such that "Cannot find extension file Forms Data. Please run setup to restore this file". Am I totally out of luck under CE .net 4.2 here and should better switch to Windows Mobile 2003? The vendor of the PDA offer the hardware with two OS options, .Net 4.2 or Windows mobile 2003. Is Windows mobile 2003 the successor of Windows CE 3.0 or is it a totally different animal? I'm a bit lost at the ...

Oracle Lite 10i / Windows CE 4.2.NET / ADO.NET
Hi, is it possible to install Oracle Lite as a standalone server on Windows CE.NET 4.2 with an automatically install procedure from ocj4? I want to use Ora lite (10i) with the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 / ADO.NET on a Windows CE.NET 4.2 mobile device. thanks a lot regards thorsten ...

Oracle Lite / Windows CE.NET 4.2 (PPC2003/ARM) / ADO.NET
Hi, is it possible to install Oracle Lite as a standalone server on Windows CE.NET 4.2 with an automatically install procedure from ocj4? I want to use Ora lite (10i) with the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 / ADO.NET on a Windows CE.NET 4.2 mobile device. thanks a lot regards thorsten ...

SNMP And Windows CE.NET
Hi, Does anyone knows of <<affordable>> libraries that would assist in adding snmp agent support to an executable (can't be a dll) under windows CE.NET. Thanks IP*Works! SNMP component will do exactly what you need : http://www.nsoftware.com/products/showprod.aspx?part=IPN5-X -Eric > > > Hi, > > Does anyone knows of <<affordable>> libraries that would assist in adding > snmp agent support to an executable (can't be a dll) under windows > CE.NET. - ...

labVIEW and windows CE.NET
Hi! i need to develop an application with LabVIEW7.0 for a PAD that using windows CE.Net v.4.1. Does LabView support this OS? Thanks, Andrea ...And if I use PDA module? Thanks, Andrea ...

NTP client for windows ce.net
Is there one? AFAIK the built-in SMTP client is no good as it is not as accurate? I need my 3 ce.net machines to be synchronised to my NTP server to within 1 millisecond (better would be nice). 5thWheel wrote: > Is there one? > AFAIK the built-in SMTP client is no good as it is not as accurate? > I need my 3 ce.net machines to be synchronised to my NTP server to > within 1 millisecond (better would be nice). Getting < 1 ms on NT (any version) is kind of hard, given that the OS clock gives you 10 ms resolution. The current NTPD for NT code uses a huge hack, in the form of...

Developing apps for Windows CE .NET
Hi, I want to develop a VB application that can show maps (jpeg images) and draw some lines over the maps (like routes). Target machine is a hand-held PC running on Windows CE .NET version 1.1 (x86 Intel processor, 128Mb RAM). With limited experience of writing VB programs using MS Visual Studio 6.0, I checked MS website for choosing better and appropriate tools. Just got lost seeing too many options like: Visual Studio .NET, VB ..NET, Smart Device Extension (SDE), .NET Compact Framework SDK, .NET Compact Framework Redistributable, SDE For VB, Pocket PC emulator, Hand-held SDK, eMbedded tools, embedded visual studio 3, embedded VC4, etc etc. Any thoughts are welcome to choose the right tools, please. Many thanks, Chandra. ...

Windows CE.Net USB Drivers
Does anybody with Compaq T30 Thinclient's know where I can get USB Mass Storage Device drivers from? I have a diskonkey USB stick that I need to get working on my T30. As soon as I plug the device into the T30, it prompts me for a driver name. Hope someone can assist, HP and Diskonkey are not very helpfull. Regards, David ...

Installing Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Architect on same machine as Visual Studio .Net
I am trying to install .Net Enterprise Architect on my machine, where I currently have a working copy of .Net Developer. I have the following questions/concerns: 1) When I run the installation, I am asked to load the pre-requisites. I had already loaded these before I installed .Net Developer. I could go ahead and run n:\setup\Setup.exe /NO_BSLN_CHECK, however, I want to make sure that will not cause any problems. 2) My biggest question is, can I load the .Net Enterprise Architect version on the same machine as the .Net Developer version, or will this cause any problems? TIA, Poonam ...

Visual Studio NET Enterprise Architect 2002 and Visual Studio NET 2003 difference
very hard is fix exactly group for this question.. but I am sure that some of people here have some experience with these compilers: Visual Studio NET Enterprise Architect 2002 and Visual Studio NET 2003 1. What is difference between Visual Studio NET Enterprise Architect 2002 and Visual Studio NET 2003 2. If I try user Visual Studio NET 2003, what I have not included inside (in compare with Visual Studio NET 2003)? 3. Why Visual Studio NET 2003 is created? 4. Have Microsoft some newer versions of Visual Studio NET? sure I talk about C++ versions "xman" <xman@nospam...

Networking from RISCOS with a Windows CE.net machine
Does anyone know how I can make my Iyonix to a file server for a Window CE net machine? Many Thanks in Advance Thomas Milius In message <a1db28a04c.Thomas@t-online.de> Thomas Milius <Thomas-Milius@t-online.de> wrote: > Does anyone know how I can make my Iyonix to a file server > for a Window CE net machine? Run Samba server? (Naive answer - I have no experience of WinCE) Dave In message <92022fa04c.davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> Dave Higton <davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> wrote: > In message <a1db28a04c.Thomas@t-online.de...

PXE & WINDOWS XP as a NET OS
Hi everybody, I'd like to know if it's possible to load windows from a network boostrapping? I want to say, for example loading a copy of a partition of windows with all softwares needed installed via pxe , export nfs share or running a read-only system like WINPE build with Bart's PE Builder and mount it on loopback way and export it via nfs. There's a matter : the clients i want it to run have not se same hardware, so would i have to create different hives ( case of running windows NT ( 4.0, 2000, 2003, XP) or to install windows on all the clients and watch which registry entries are created and create only one hive for all? thanks in advance. -- Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr http://forums.club-internet.fr/ "BSD_USER" <BSDUSER@localhost.cxm> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:20031126-17158-876686@foorum.com... > > Hi everybody, > > I'd like to know if it's possible to load windows from a network boostrapping? > I want to say, for example loading a copy of a partition of windows with all > softwares needed installed via pxe , export nfs share or running a read-only > system like WINPE build with Bart's PE Builder and mount it on loopback way and > export it via nfs. > There's a matter : the clients i want it to run have not se same hardware, so > would i hav...

Windows CE (.NET) data provider for PostgreSQL
I am working on a project where a WindowsCE device needs to talk to a PostgreSQL database. The CE application already exists and works with the MS SQL database -- we are converting the database to PostgreSQL. Are there any CE data providers for PostgreSQL? If not, how difficult would it be for me to convert the open source .NET provider to working with CE.NET? I am an expert with .NET development (both regular Windows and CE) but a beginner with PostgreSQL. Thanks, Rod Early ...

MS Visual Basic.NET Standard on Windows ME??
I'm normally not a poster on this particular group, but I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to help me out with a (hopefully) simple question: I'm running Windows ME, and would like to purchase and install Microsoft Visual Basic.NET Standard Edition. (or perhaps the Learning Edition, Standard.....I'm new to programming) I've done a lot of internet based research about this, and have mostly read that Microsoft Visual Basic.NET Standard will run only on Windows 2000 Pro, 2000 Server, XP Pro, XP Home (with limitations), and .NET Server 2003. Only on *...

Fullscreen using IE6 and windows CE.NET
Hello, Is it possible ? Watever i do, i always have location and menus bars... I need to launch a new window without those items.... Thanx for the help -- St�phane ROLLAND In article <1064408754.30846.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>, multimatum@voila.fr enlightened us with... > Hello, > > Is it possible ? > > Watever i do, i always have location and menus bars... > > I need to launch a new window without those items.... > window.open("url","name","toolbar=no,menubar=no"); http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/refere...

Windows CE, Windows Mobile
Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! === sgb sgbailey@iee.org wrote: > Is there a working version of Perl that can be installed on a handheld > PDA or smartphone (eg Ipaq Hw6915). > > I am planning to get a new device and would like to install perl on it > - if I can't I'll probably end up installing Basic! I am curious as well :-) From the top of my head, there is ...

Windows CE with "application level driver" instead of real Windows CE driver"?
Hello, I'm interesting to know if it is possible to compile Windows CE without display driver, and then at application level configure the dispaly hardware? Can it work? The reason i want to do it is because I have now application that working on board with PXA255 without operation system(application have access directly to the harware), and I need to port the application on Windows CE. If I will be able to use my current display driver instead of developing a new one that depends on WINCE, I will be able to use my current graphic function without any changes. Otherwise I will need to redo all my graphics... Can any one advice me if it is possible? Thanks in advance and Best Regards, Alex ...

MS Visual Studio & DB2 UDB for Windows
We are exploring doing some development with MS Visual Studio 2005 to access our DB2 UDB for Windows databases. Are there any other options to accessing DB2 with Visual Studio that may be more robust than ODBC? dougdoc wrote: > We are exploring doing some development with MS Visual Studio 2005 to > access our DB2 UDB for Windows databases. Are there any other options > to accessing DB2 with Visual Studio that may be more robust than ODBC? > Comment from backstage: "One should never use ODBC driver or the OLE DB provider when building DB2 applications using .NET technologies. IBM provides an IBM-developed (not third party or Microsoft) real .NET Data Provider with support for both .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0. IBM also provides, at no charge, a set of add-ins for the Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 that make building applications for DB2 (on any platform) a very productive experience. It takes literally just minutes to become fully familiar with these tools and be productive at creating both application front ends and database back-end objects (tables, views, indexes etc. ) and code (stored procedures functions etc.)." Cheers Serge -- Serge Rielau DB2 Solutions Development IBM Toronto Lab Serge, Thanks for the great info. Doug On Mar 9, 6:03 am, Serge Rielau <srie...@ca.ibm.com> wrote: > dougdoc wrote: > > We are exploring doing some development with MS Visual Studio 2005...

Managing Dial-up connection in Windows CE using .net
Hi I am doing a program that will need to make a connection to the internet using a dial-up connection on a GRPS modem in Windows Ce .net. The program will be implemented in C# compact framework. The program will have to connect without the user having to start a connection and answer any dialog boxes. I will have to create my own dialer and manage the connect and disconnect state. How do I set up a dialer? Do I have to setup a RAS connection(using RAS API)? or use the Connection manager API? /Christian Dahm ...

[ace-users]Install ACE at windows CE.net
Hi There is some problem when I build ACE with EVC4.1, such as --------------------Configuration: ACE - Win32 (WCE x86) Debug-------------------- Compiling... ACE.cpp ...\ace/Time_Value.h(56) : error C2526: '+' : C linkage function cannot return C++ class 'ACE_Time_Value' ..\ace/Time_Value.h(53) : see declaration of 'ACE_Time_Value' ...\ace/Time_Value.h(59) : error C2526: '-' : C linkage function cannot return C++ class 'ACE_Time_Value' ..\ace/Time_Value.h(53) : see declaration of 'ACE_Time_Value' ...\ace/Time_Value.h(253) : erro...

small 8pt monospace ttf font windows ce.net
Hi, i am developing an app for windows ce.net, but it lacks of a good freeware monospaced font. I need to show tabbed data without tab functionality, so i'm supposed to use monospaced font. The best thing would be to have an 8pt monospaced simple font, like the old good terminal font, with no serif. Pixels, no antialias or something else. Is this possible? It's a pity that ce.net supports .ttf only. Any ideas? any help greatly appreciated 10x allmdm. In article <uHl5b.34307$w8.11676@news.edisontel.com>, allmdm <allmdm_rimuovi_@hotmail.com> wrote: :The best thing would ...

RE: [ace-users]Install ACE at windows CE.net
Right! It was fixed a few betas ago. Thanks, -Steve -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation ACE Training - http://www.riverace.com/training.htm ACE book info at http://www.riverace.com/acebooks/ > -----Original Message----- > From: Steven Xie [mailto:steven.xie@mpathix.com] > Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:24 PM > To: Steve Huston > Cc: cool_lang@sina.com; ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: Re: [ace-users]Install ACE at windows CE.net > > > using extern "C++" { > .... > } > will fix it.. > > > > > Steve Huston wrote: > > >It's a known problem. We don't have a solution yet. If you come up > >with one, please let me know. > > > >-Steve > > > >"coollang" <cool_lang@sina.com> wrote in message > >news:<c5nvc1$k8k$1@mail.cn99.com>... > > > > > >>Hi > >>There is some problem when I build ACE with EVC4.1, > >>such as > >> > >>--------------------Configuration: ACE - Win32 (WCE x86) > >>Debug-------------------- > >>Compiling... > >>ACE.cpp > >>..\ace/Time_Value.h...

Web resources about - Windows CE .NET & Visual Studio .NET - comp.os.ms-windows.ce

The Windows Blog

Epic CEO: “Universal Windows Platform can, should, must and will, die”
In a scathing editorial in the Guardian , Epic Games co-founder Tim Sweeney has spoken out about Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform (UWP) ...

Windows 10 Insider Preview Redstone Build 14279 arrives on the Fast ring, with a few noteworthy changes ...
... so the team doesn’t have to work over the weekend dealing with potential issues, Microsoft’s Gabe Aul pushed the button to release a new Windows ...

Microsoft is trying to bring back the eighties with its Windows 10 strategy
... Microsoft kept the rights in lieu of royalties from IBM. DOS put Microsoft the very center of the PC revolution, even through the era of Windows, ...

Microsoft issues Windows 10's lucky 7 preview
Microsoft today issued another Windows 10 preview to its Insider testing group, the seventh so far this year. Gabriel Aul, engineering general ...

The next Windows 10 update is all about Cortana
Cortana has learned three languages in the latest Windows 10 update, which is available today for Insider members in the program's Fast ring. ...

Tim Sweeney: Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform Must, And Will, Die
Image credit: Microsoft Strong words coming from Epic Games' Tim Sweeney today. Microsoft has recently been making a push to unify the Windows ...

Abe Lincoln's note for slave chaplain a 'window' into 16th president's struggles
Abe Lincoln's note for slave chaplain a 'window' into 16th president's struggles