computer crash, need help

Hi All,

I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation,
downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes. One
minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the
laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before the
computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over a
year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last 2
weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1 for
downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering and
modelling. My laptop spec is pentium 4 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, 64mb ati mobility
radeon 7500 integrated graphics card, running Windows XP Pro SP1 plus all
the usual.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, this is really
starting to piss me off, I can't tell what the problem is, my best
assumption is the programs use too much RAM then the laptop cuts out,
because of the problem it has when rebooting after this happens when it
can't verify the RAM but then why the hell would it do that? I have 1GB RAM
and I'm not doing anything different than normal. The first time this
happened I reformatted and reinstalled everything hoping that it would sort
it, but it didn't. I was hoping to download a program called RAM Rocket for
managing and defragging my RAM but maybe I don't need it, plus it isn't
free.

Thanks for any help I do receive on this problem, if you want to know more
please e-mail personally, but bear in mind that when it comes to the
workings of a pc I really don't know much so I may not give good answers.

kind regards
Mark

0
Remo
4/24/2004 8:38:35 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.misc 2965 articles. 1 followers. vnagrik (21) is leader. Post Follow

1. Check in the event log (right click MyComputer, Left click Manage) to see
if there are any entries at the time of shutdown for any clues.

2. Go into Bios and check (if your bios supports it) the TEMP of the
processor. If you can watch it and it creaps up to around 60 deg C, then
it's possible that your CPU fan has gone bad. If it reaches around 60 deg C,
it's quite possible that it will auto shutdown.

Ed.

"Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation,
> downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes. One
> minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the
> laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before
the
> computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over a
> year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last 2
> weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1
for
> downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering
and
> modelling. My laptop spec is pentium 4 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, 64mb ati mobility
> radeon 7500 integrated graphics card, running Windows XP Pro SP1 plus all
> the usual.
> Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, this is really
> starting to piss me off, I can't tell what the problem is, my best
> assumption is the programs use too much RAM then the laptop cuts out,
> because of the problem it has when rebooting after this happens when it
> can't verify the RAM but then why the hell would it do that? I have 1GB
RAM
> and I'm not doing anything different than normal. The first time this
> happened I reformatted and reinstalled everything hoping that it would
sort
> it, but it didn't. I was hoping to download a program called RAM Rocket
for
> managing and defragging my RAM but maybe I don't need it, plus it isn't
> free.
>
> Thanks for any help I do receive on this problem, if you want to know more
> please e-mail personally, but bear in mind that when it comes to the
> workings of a pc I really don't know much so I may not give good answers.
>
> kind regards
> Mark

0
Ed
4/24/2004 11:32:41 PM
nothing is listed in the event, log I tried that last time, but how can I
check the temperature on my processor? If I have to do it in the setup
screen when booting then how do I check it while using the programs that
really get my laptop working hard enough for this problem to occur?

thanks for your input
Mark

"Ed" <mred22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Check in the event log (right click MyComputer, Left click Manage) to
see
> if there are any entries at the time of shutdown for any clues.
>
> 2. Go into Bios and check (if your bios supports it) the TEMP of the
> processor. If you can watch it and it creaps up to around 60 deg C, then
> it's possible that your CPU fan has gone bad. If it reaches around 60 deg
C,
> it's quite possible that it will auto shutdown.
>
> Ed.
>
> "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation,
> > downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes.
One
> > minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the
> > laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before
> the
> > computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over
> > year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last
2
> > weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1
> for
> > downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering
> and
> > modelling. My laptop spec is pentium 4 2.6ghz, 1gb RAM, 64mb ati
mobility
> > radeon 7500 integrated graphics card, running Windows XP Pro SP1 plus
all
> > the usual.
> > Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, this is really
> > starting to piss me off, I can't tell what the problem is, my best
> > assumption is the programs use too much RAM then the laptop cuts out,
> > because of the problem it has when rebooting after this happens when it
> > can't verify the RAM but then why the hell would it do that? I have 1GB
> RAM
> > and I'm not doing anything different than normal. The first time this
> > happened I reformatted and reinstalled everything hoping that it would
> sort
> > it, but it didn't. I was hoping to download a program called RAM Rocket
> for
> > managing and defragging my RAM but maybe I don't need it, plus it isn't
> > free.
> >
> > Thanks for any help I do receive on this problem, if you want to know
more
> > please e-mail personally, but bear in mind that when it comes to the
> > workings of a pc I really don't know much so I may not give good
answers.

> > kind regards
> > Mark

0
Remo
4/25/2004 12:26:42 AM
If your BIOS supports temperature and fan speed monitors the motherboard manufacturer should have a windows utility that will display the information.

--
                   Mike Walsh
            West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Thanks for all your input, newsgroups are great aren't they?
Mark

"Mike Walsh" <mikew137@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> If your BIOS supports temperature and fan speed monitors the motherboard
manufacturer should have a windows utility that will display the
information.

> Remo-Shiva wrote:
> >
> > nothing is listed in the event, log I tried that last time, but how can
> > check the temperature on my processor? If I have to do it in the setup
> > screen when booting then how do I check it while using the programs that
> > really get my laptop working hard enough for this problem to occur?
>
> --
>                    Mike Walsh
>             West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

0
Remo
4/25/2004 6:08:46 PM
Glad you sorted it!

> Well, I took apart the back, took out the heatsink, vacumed out the 2 fans
> and looked at the side of the heatsink and guess what I found?.......A
> literal carpet of crap consisting mainly of fluff & hair. I have now put
it
> back together and can hardly hear my laptop, I was very pleased when I
found
> all that crap, which sounds strange but it means there wasn't a serious
> problem. What I am going to do now is work my laptop harder than ever, I'm
> going to download, play music and render a complex 3d object all at the
same
> time and I'm gonna see what happens, hopefully nothing bad will.
>
> Thanks for all your input, newsgroups are great aren't they?
> Mark
>

> "Mike Walsh" <mikew137@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >
> > If your BIOS supports temperature and fan speed monitors the motherboard
> manufacturer should have a windows utility that will display the
> information.
> >
> > Remo-Shiva wrote:
> > >
> > > nothing is listed in the event, log I tried that last time, but how
can
> > > check the temperature on my processor? If I have to do it in the setup
> > > screen when booting then how do I check it while using the programs
that
> > > really get my laptop working hard enough for this problem to occur?
> >
> > --
> >                    Mike Walsh
> >             West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

0
Ed

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Need help after computer crash
My computer recently crashed, and I sent it to Best Buy Geek Squad for recovery. I did not ask them to recover my programs or data because I already have original disks for programs and backups for data. Ironically, I cannot find the paid disk for Eudora, but I do have a copy of the download for Eudora 7, and I have my registration number. I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files. I copied them into the same location where I found the same type of files after I installed Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at the bottom of the screen),...

Help needed for Sun Solaris 7/11/99 OS full harddisk image backup under Windows OS
Hello, We have been trying hard for taking full harddisk image backup that contains Solaris 7/11/99 OS and programs. What we need is an image backup program that runs under Windows OS and can recognize ufs filesystem. The Windows programs we have found recognizes the harddisk as unallocated and therefore cant backup. Programs we had tried : * Symantec Norton Ghost 2003 * Powerquest DriveImage * Acronis True Image , MigrateEasy * Knoppix OS (but it mounts hard-drives as read-only) Is there a utility in Windows that can do this job easily or do we have to do the backup using Solaris utilities...

[gnuada] Help needed for MS-Windows version
Hello, The GNU Ada project needs some help from experienced Ada MinGW users. Alltrue we have tried we to produce a working MS-Windows Version it did not work out So here is our call for help. If you are interested you can start by looking on how far we came: http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MS-Windows Join our discussions on: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=40858 http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=40860 Or get right down to it by donloading the current make scripts: http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=12974 and try them out. Martin -- mai...

Help needed RISC OS and Windows XP Pro
Hi all, On my home network I have the following computers, a SARiscPC(RISC OS 4.29/Samba/LanMan98), a ThinkPad(WindowsXP Pro/NTFS format) and another Laptop(Windows ME/FAT32). Both Laptops can see/access the RiscPC and each other. But the RiscPC can only access the ME Laptop. When I try accessing XPPro from the RiscPC I get an Access Denied message from LanMan98(V1.17). TCP/IP is manually configured (as DHCP doesn't seem to work on RISC OS 4.29) and XP Firewall is switched off. Any ideas? Also, when sharing folders on XP Pro is it possible to turn on an access password...

Connecting to new Windows 7 computer, need some help.
Hi, anyway to connect HP48 to a newer Windows 7 computer? I need a way transfer files. On Monday, April 22, 2013 10:27:02 PM UTC-4, schwi...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, anyway to connect HP48 to a newer Windows 7 computer? I need a way tr= ansfer files. First, I will assume you mean an Hp 48s or Hp 48G series calculator. Corre= ct? You then need two cables, the Hp 48s or G serial cable and then a USB to RS= 232 serial conversion cable as most Windows 7 computers no longer have an = RS232 cable. Then go to Hpcalc.org and get the normal Hp Graphing calculat= or program Ver3.04 (it ...

AOL Support | Windows Help and Support | Computer Support | Microsoft Technical Support | Online Computer Help
World leading Online Computer Support with Live-Technician on 1-888-414-5815 and get Online Technical Support, Online Computer Help, Dell and HP Tech Support, Windows Support, Computer Experts, XP Vista and Windows 7 support, Email and Outlook Support, 24x7 tech support, Tech support, Digital camera, On Phone Computer Support by Microsoft Certified Technicians. http://www.live-technician.com ...

[...]

Web resources about - computer crash, need help - comp.os.ms-windows.misc

Computer Show

Computer simulation fills in the blanks of Neanderthal extinction
A modern human and Neanderthal skull face off. (credit: By hairymuseummatt (original photo), DrMikeBaxter (derivative work) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (h ...

Here's what the old-school computer viruses from the '80s and '90s looked like
Mikko Hyponnen, chief research officer at security firm F-Secure, has been working with computer viruses for over 25 years. Over the course ...

IRS computer glitch shuts down tax return e-file system
Shutdown of several tax processing systems included the e-file system and the "Where's My Refund?"

IRS experiencing computer failure: Report
The Internal Revenue Service suffered failures on "several" computer systems Wednesday in the midst of tax season, Dow Jones reported.

The Scooter Computer
... that doesn't even merit the i3 or i5 designation, and has no hyperthreading. Do bear that in mind as you keep reading. Meet The Scooter Computer ...

Fed up with bogus computer support calls, man turns tables on scammers
... and decided to, if not get even, at least give them a taste of their own medicine. "I was really tired [of the calls], and I really hate computer ...

IRS Computer Issues Could Delay Some Tax Returns
... trying to get a jump on the tax filing and refund ball may have to wait a bit longer, as the Internal Revenue Service suffered a severe computer ...