File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning"

This is a strange one. I have VLC and Winamp on this system. To stop
video playback from clobbering the playlist in Winamp, I installed VLC
to use for video playback, and told it to only grab video file
associations. Next time I used Winamp, it grabbed the video file
associations back. When I then went to use a video, it opened in Winamp.
I found and disabled an option for it to grab file associations. Then I
manually ran VLC and looked in it for an option to grab file
associations without reinstalling it, but apparently there is none.

So I right clicked various video files and hit "Open With...", picked
VLC and checked "Always use this program to open this type of file".

Now, however, every time I double click any video file I get an "Open
File -- Security Warning" popup. It seems to be acting as if I clicked a
link to the file on the Internet in Internet Exploder, rather than
double clicked a file on my own hard drive.

How can I disable this behavior for files that are actually local? Why
does using the Open With menu item to reassociate a file type make it
start treating files of that type as if they were being opened from a
remote web site in IE?

It's like getting a preview of what it will be like when I next need to
upgrade and I get stuck with Vista and its security manager popups!

--
There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
death.

Phil Cartwright wrote:
> Now, however, every time I double click any video file I get an "Open
> File -- Security Warning" popup. It seems to be acting as if I clicked a
> link to the file on the Internet in Internet Exploder, rather than
> double clicked a file on my own hard drive.

Seems to be a Microsoft misfeature that afflicts any reassociation of
file types. Supposedly it should only affect files downloaded with IE,
files received through Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger, links clicked in
IE, or attachments received with OE, but it ends up affecting every file
of a type, preexisting or new, instead if you reassociate the file type
with a different application. The only way to fix it on XP Home seems to
be to right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment
Variables, New (user variables), "SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS" in the upper
box and "1" in the lower box. This disables the protection from
newly-downloaded attachments and suchlike, however.

--
There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
death.
0
Phil

OS X file associations lost on files restored to Windows server
We recently migrated from a Novell to a Windows 2003 server and all of the files copied to the directories that do not have extensions (as they were created by Mac users) lost their associations. The only way that they are reassociated is if we add file extensions or each file is opened and closed (which changes the date). As we have tens if not hundreds of thousands of files, the manual approach is impossible. Is there a program for OS X that recognizes the proper associations and adds a file extension or just reassociates the files, displaying the proper icon? I found one program, but yo...

File Association
I am using windows 7 and Matlab 2011a. I have .m and .fig files associated with matlab however when I open one outside of matlab, the program opens however the .m or .fig file are not opened. I just get the home windows of Matlab. I tried the code below as I found on another thread with no luck. commandwindow; cwd=pwd; cd([matlabroot '\toolbox\matlab\winfun\private']); fileassoc('add','.fig') ;cd(cwd); disp('Changed Windows file association. FIG-files are now associated with MATLAB.') ...

File::open and File.open
What exactly is the difference between these? :: is a class method while is an instance method??? If that is so, could someone clarify this with more detail? I use File.open, but File::open works too. However sometimes, this is not the case which adds to my confusion :) For example, I can only do Digest::MD5.new() and not Digest.MD5.new() why is that? I don't fully understand OO programming... perhaps this is my problem. Thank you for your time. -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Robert Klemme schrieb: > Brad Tilley wrote: >> What exactly is the difference betwe...

How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ? Question How to open a logical partition and read all of its file using windows function ReadFile() ?
Hii In my application , wanna copy all files from one partition to another partition. First I copied a file that I taken default and copied to another partition. The above operation is done by using the control code "FSCTL_GET_RETRIEVAL_POINTERS". The clusters used are read and wrote into destination volume using readfile() and writefile() windows functions. Now I gotta copy all files..... So how to proceed ....?? Thanking you. On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:37:42 -0700 (PDT), krish <krishnampkkm@gmail.com> wrote: >Hii > >In my applicatio...

Open folder, read file, close file, open new folder, read file close file etc....
Hello, My current directory has several folders within it. Each folder has the same type of file within it. How do i go from the current directory, into one of the folders, edit the file, then come out of the folder, then go into another folder, edit a file then come out of the folder then into a new one etc etc etc. If this does not make sense i apologise and will try to explain my problem a little better. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Phil Phil: I'm not sure it makes sense. Personally I use the mouse and keyboard for doing this. Were you thinking of something else?...

Gui having an 'open file window' and a 'save file window'
Is it possible to click on a button in the gui and have a Windows-like window where I can select the file to open and another like when you click on 'save as'? Thank you very much nathaniel zoso wrote: > Is it possible to click on a button in the gui and have a > Windows-like window where I can select the file to open and another > like when you click on 'save as'? > > Thank you very much Check out the UIGETFILE and UIPUTFILE functions, respectively. -SteveSimon ...

After associating a file how does my program actually open the file?
OK, I associated a file from registry. VB Opens correctly. Then..? How does my program now that I opened a file from outside itself..? (yes, I am a begginer ;) ) thnk you for your time. In article <1148952408.487937.134700@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "pek" <kimwlias@gmail.com> wrote: >OK, I associated a file from registry. >VB Opens correctly. >Then..? >How does my program now that I opened a file from outside itself..? If you set up the file association correctly, the file that was double-clicked should be sent to your program as a command-line parame...

Acroread does not open files
I've had this problem on two different installations of Linux. Acroread would not open PDF files, not from a command line, nor as a Mozilla plug-in. It would give the following message: "There was an error opening this document. A temporary file could not be opened." The solution was very simple for me: DEBUG USING strace ================== bash (I normally use tcsh) strace acroread filename.pdf > output.txt 2>&1 in the file, a line lstat64("/home/username/tmp/AcroaRKu9Y", 0xbfffddf0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) points to the loc...

Open a file from remote Windows and use the content in the file locally
hi, I am new here, i have been google around for so long on this issue so i decided to stop by and bother you guys. I use tcl and Expect on a Redhat linux system to remotely telnet to a windows system to run some test. end of the test, a file called "log.dat" is generated. then i will need to analyze the number of errors in the log.dat(basically all text) to decide what the windows system should do next. so here comes the question, how do i process the log file, so i can use it locally on Red hat to do a check? (my idea is to store the content of log.dat as a variable locally, the...

file.exe file generation from file.m file
How to generate application (*.exe) file from *.m file, which has lots of graphics. Program was written for image watermarking by using image processing toolbox. I want to send this program some where else but with out sowing the program codes. By this *.exe no need to use matlab6.5 platform. Also tell me How to generate *.p file from *.m file Which is hide the code to user but for run this program need matlab6.5 Please give me some idea about it. it is very urgent for me. I will be very great full to you "Biswajit Kar" <hibiswajitkar@rediffmail.com> wrote in message ne...

sas9.2.2 opening of a .sas file or .sas7bdat file from Windows
Hi I have read the trend of 30 sep 2008 Opening SAS Files in the 9.2 enhanced editor and the short trend of 4 Feb 2009 sas9.2 sas program = batch submit referencing http://support.sas.com/kb/32/464.html Sas has issue a problem note http://support.sas.com/kb/32/416.html <http://support.sas.com/kb/32/464.html> telling that Starting with SAS^� 9.2, if you open a .sas file from Microsoft Windows Explorer, the .sas file is opened in a new Enhanced Editor window. However, the default empty Enhanced Editor-Untitled1 window remains open as well. With a 9.2 phase 2 install (only version ...

Photoshop file association problem after opening a TIF file from within ImageVue
After opening a TIF image file from within the ImageVue Imaging program (win2k OS) it appears that ImageVue has been automatically assigned as the default program to open all TIF files from within windows explorer. Any attempt to open a TIF file from within Windows Explorer results in the image file being opened via ImageVue "Imaging". Doing a right mouse click within win explorer on any TIF file and selecting Properties results in the display "Opens with: Imaging". Any attempt to re-asssign Photoshop as the program to open TIF files (using the "Properties/Change&qu...

Opening MS Access file on OS X?
Is it possible to extract data from an Access file using an OS X program? (The alternative would be to export the data from access running on VPC (or a PC) and import into a native Mac program, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.) Seuss <seuss@nospam.com> wrote: > Is it possible to extract data from an Access file using an OS X > program? (The alternative would be to export the data from access > running on VPC (or a PC) and import into a native Mac program, but I'd > like to avoid that if possible.) We did this one last week, and the answer is no. Extra...

How to print a raw file (print ready file) through USB port in MS Windows?
Hi, all: I have a print ready file (PCL or PS format) to send to a printer through USB port. But my platform is Win2k. Is there any method to directly send the job through USB port to the printer in Win2k? (just like "cat abc.ps > dev/usb/lp0" in linux) thanks for any advice, johny ...

How to print a raw file (print ready file) through USB port in MS Windows?
Hi, all: I have a print ready file (PCL or PS format) to send to a printer through USB port. But my platform is Win2k. Is there any method to directly send the job through USB port to the printer in Win2k? thanks for any advice, johny ...

Web resources about - File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning" - comp.os.ms-windows.misc