Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format

After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my
D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb).  To my surprise, the scan listed a directory
and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a
typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21...  Dd159.zip .  I
wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact
that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan.

No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message
"the scan could not be completed".

As a precaution I decided to back up everything and reformat the disk.
However the format also "could not be completed".

Next I tried deleting directories one by one in Windows Explorer.  All went
well until one final directory remained, which wouldn't delete.  The files
in the directory also wouldn't display - after a long spell of seeking (I
could hear the head-motor running, in short bursts) I got the message "The
disk in drive D is not formatted - would you like to format it now?".
Naturally, I said yes, but that format "could not be completed" just like
the one before it.

So, is the drive beyond all help?  Should I just replace it?  Or can it be
rescued?

I'm running Windows XP Pro on an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ PC, 216GHz, 480Mb RAM.

Many thanks in advance,

Bert Coules
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 3:57:03 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.misc 2965 articles. 1 followers. vnagrik (21) is leader. Post Follow

Bert Coules wrote:
> After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee)
> on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb).  To my surprise, the scan listed a
> directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full
> pathnames, but a typical one was something like
> D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21...  Dd159.zip .  I wondered if this was anything
> to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it
> immediately before the scan.

Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can, of
course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you can't
(with this zip file for example, though not sure why) try staring in
Failsafe mode, that should allow it.

0
John
9/3/2006 9:42:57 PM
John of Aix wrote:

> Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can, of
> course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you can't (with
> this zip file for example, though not sure why) try staring in Failsafe
> mode, that should allow it.

Thanks for the thought.  It didn't work, unfortunately.  Also a failure was
an attempt to format the D: drive from the command prompt: the process
started but never got further than 0%.  In the end I had to close down the
DOS window manually.

It seems clear that there's something in the one remaining non-hidden
directory (which is not the RECYCLER one) which is corrupted or is otherwise
mucking up the system - I just can't get at it.

Bert
www.bertcoules.couk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 10:00:56 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> John of Aix wrote:
>
>> Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can,
>> of course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you
>> can't (with this zip file for example, though not sure why) try
>> staring in Failsafe mode, that should allow it.
>
> Thanks for the thought.  It didn't work, unfortunately.  Also a
> failure was an attempt to format the D: drive from the command
> prompt: the process started but never got further than 0%.  In the
> end I had to close down the DOS window manually.
>
> It seems clear that there's something in the one remaining non-hidden
> directory (which is not the RECYCLER one) which is corrupted or is
> otherwise mucking up the system - I just can't get at it.

Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot,
hijack this etc. It could be a third party programme that is running in
the background that is stopping it?

0
John
9/3/2006 11:01:25 PM
John of Aix wrote:

> Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot, hijack
> this etc.

I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a Registry
cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely reliable?

Thanks for the continued advice.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 11:47:40 PM
"Bert Coules" <mail@bertcoules.co.uk> writes:
>I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a Registry
>cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely reliable?
Try rootkit revealer and hijack this.
If they reveal something, you at least have a better idea it's not
just some hardware problem.

If the entire disk can be wiped (which i assume it can, since you've
been trying to format it) then boot from *CD* (either a linix boot, or
the windows install) and try to format the drive. if that fails, it
sounds like a possible hardware problem.

good luck
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Philip
9/4/2006 1:28:41 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> John of Aix wrote:
>
>> Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot,
>> hijack this etc.
>
> I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a
> Registry cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely
> reliable?

Well I've always cleaned theregistry on a regular basis, usually
Regcleaner first (not MS regclean, avoid it) and also EasyCleaner. Both
back up the leiminatedentries so you can get them back if necessary but
I've never had the slighyesy porblem accpeting all the entries they tell
me are useless and deleting them.

For Hijack this, which Philip (and I) recommend, one has to be a little
more careful, but it too makes a retrievable backup. However it shows
not only the programmes that are loaded at startup but also various
services, some of which may be necessary, some not. I usually work on
following the leads to the prog or service and checking its properties
to see who it belongs to in the first instance. If no info given or
obviously something dodgy I throw it out but sometimes I go wrong.
Otherwise, I believe there is a page on their site or with a direct link
to it from HijackThis which gives you further information about the
entries.

0
John
9/4/2006 2:01:59 PM
Thanks John and Philip for the advice.  I'll check out Regcleaner first,
then boot from the Win XP installation disc and try formatting from there.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/4/2006 4:51:51 PM
OK, I ran Regcleaner, which made no difference to my D: drive problem, then
booted from the XP disk and tried to format the D: HDD.

The result was that the format stuck on 0% and also froze the PC.  I had to
do a manual reboot to get out of it.

It seems to me that further fuss and bother is not justified: I'm going to
assume that the drive is useless and fit another.

Thanks to everyone for help and advice along the way.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/4/2006 6:00:40 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> OK, I ran Regcleaner, which made no difference to my D: drive
> problem, then booted from the XP disk and tried to format the D: HDD.
>
> The result was that the format stuck on 0% and also froze the PC.  I
> had to do a manual reboot to get out of it.
>
> It seems to me that further fuss and bother is not justified: I'm
> going to assume that the drive is useless and fit another.

Seems so. Hard luck

> Thanks to everyone for help and advice along the way.

You're welcome.

0
John