Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format

After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my
D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb).  To my surprise, the scan listed a directory
and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a
typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21...  Dd159.zip .  I
wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact
that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan.

No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message
"the scan could not be completed".

As a precaution I decided to back up everything and reformat the disk.
However the format also "could not be completed".

Next I tried deleting directories one by one in Windows Explorer.  All went
well until one final directory remained, which wouldn't delete.  The files
in the directory also wouldn't display - after a long spell of seeking (I
could hear the head-motor running, in short bursts) I got the message "The
disk in drive D is not formatted - would you like to format it now?".
Naturally, I said yes, but that format "could not be completed" just like
the one before it.

So, is the drive beyond all help?  Should I just replace it?  Or can it be
rescued?

I'm running Windows XP Pro on an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ PC, 216GHz, 480Mb RAM.

Many thanks in advance,

Bert Coules
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 3:57:03 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.misc 2965 articles. 1 followers. vnagrik (21) is leader. Post Follow

Bert Coules wrote:
> After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee)
> on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb).  To my surprise, the scan listed a
> directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full
> pathnames, but a typical one was something like
> D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21...  Dd159.zip .  I wondered if this was anything
> to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it
> immediately before the scan.

Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can, of
course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you can't
(with this zip file for example, though not sure why) try staring in
Failsafe mode, that should allow it.

0
John
9/3/2006 9:42:57 PM
John of Aix wrote:

> Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can, of
> course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you can't (with
> this zip file for example, though not sure why) try staring in Failsafe
> mode, that should allow it.

Thanks for the thought.  It didn't work, unfortunately.  Also a failure was
an attempt to format the D: drive from the command prompt: the process
started but never got further than 0%.  In the end I had to close down the
DOS window manually.

It seems clear that there's something in the one remaining non-hidden
directory (which is not the RECYCLER one) which is corrupted or is otherwise
mucking up the system - I just can't get at it.

Bert
www.bertcoules.couk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 10:00:56 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> John of Aix wrote:
>
>> Yep, the trash can. You can't delete the bin itself though you can,
>> of course, delete the contents in the normal way usually. If you
>> can't (with this zip file for example, though not sure why) try
>> staring in Failsafe mode, that should allow it.
>
> Thanks for the thought.  It didn't work, unfortunately.  Also a
> failure was an attempt to format the D: drive from the command
> prompt: the process started but never got further than 0%.  In the
> end I had to close down the DOS window manually.
>
> It seems clear that there's something in the one remaining non-hidden
> directory (which is not the RECYCLER one) which is corrupted or is
> otherwise mucking up the system - I just can't get at it.

Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot,
hijack this etc. It could be a third party programme that is running in
the background that is stopping it?

0
John
9/3/2006 11:01:25 PM
John of Aix wrote:

> Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot, hijack
> this etc.

I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a Registry
cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely reliable?

Thanks for the continued advice.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/3/2006 11:47:40 PM
"Bert Coules" <mail@bertcoules.co.uk> writes:
>I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a Registry
>cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely reliable?
Try rootkit revealer and hijack this.
If they reveal something, you at least have a better idea it's not
just some hardware problem.

If the entire disk can be wiped (which i assume it can, since you've
been trying to format it) then boot from *CD* (either a linix boot, or
the windows install) and try to format the drive. if that fails, it
sounds like a possible hardware problem.

good luck
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Philip
9/4/2006 1:28:41 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> John of Aix wrote:
>
>> Have you run the usual clean up stuff, ad-ware, regcleaner, spybot,
>> hijack this etc.
>
> I've run Spybot and McAfee Virusscan.  I've been reluctant to try a
> Registry cleaner - are they (or is any one in particular) completely
> reliable?

Well I've always cleaned theregistry on a regular basis, usually
Regcleaner first (not MS regclean, avoid it) and also EasyCleaner. Both
back up the leiminatedentries so you can get them back if necessary but
I've never had the slighyesy porblem accpeting all the entries they tell
me are useless and deleting them.

For Hijack this, which Philip (and I) recommend, one has to be a little
more careful, but it too makes a retrievable backup. However it shows
not only the programmes that are loaded at startup but also various
services, some of which may be necessary, some not. I usually work on
following the leads to the prog or service and checking its properties
to see who it belongs to in the first instance. If no info given or
obviously something dodgy I throw it out but sometimes I go wrong.
Otherwise, I believe there is a page on their site or with a direct link
to it from HijackThis which gives you further information about the
entries.

0
John
9/4/2006 2:01:59 PM
Thanks John and Philip for the advice.  I'll check out Regcleaner first,
then boot from the Win XP installation disc and try formatting from there.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/4/2006 4:51:51 PM
OK, I ran Regcleaner, which made no difference to my D: drive problem, then
booted from the XP disk and tried to format the D: HDD.

The result was that the format stuck on 0% and also froze the PC.  I had to
do a manual reboot to get out of it.

It seems to me that further fuss and bother is not justified: I'm going to
assume that the drive is useless and fit another.

Thanks to everyone for help and advice along the way.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

0
Bert
9/4/2006 6:00:40 PM
Bert Coules wrote:
> OK, I ran Regcleaner, which made no difference to my D: drive
> problem, then booted from the XP disk and tried to format the D: HDD.
>
> The result was that the format stuck on 0% and also froze the PC.  I
> had to do a manual reboot to get out of it.
>
> It seems to me that further fuss and bother is not justified: I'm
> going to assume that the drive is useless and fit another.

Seems so. Hard luck

> Thanks to everyone for help and advice along the way.

You're welcome.

0
John

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

jade won't configere, won't be made..
I try to participate in the translation of the PHP manual and want to install Jade. That one goes wrong: The configure of jade goes wrong. here is the tail of config.log and the tail of the make. I use RH9 ========================================= configure:1791: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C 1>&5 configure:1814: checking for gettext in -lintl configure:1836: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C -lintl 1>&5 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl collect2: ld returned 1 exit status configure: failed program was: #line 1822 &qu...

DVD Won't Enter, Won't Exit
Greetings, all. Long time no see. I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004. A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD, but it seems not to have mounted in the drive. The disk is just barely too far inside the machine to reach. It's not visible from the outside at all. I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the first one all the way in, but it won't budge. I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to move. Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweez...

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... >...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

Shuffle error lights! Won't sync, won't play.
Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks. Worked with Itunes just fine. About a week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it. Also great with Itunes; no problems. Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle. (The Shuffle appears in the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.) The update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I got no sound and only flashing red and green lights. This, I see in Ipod HELP, is an error message. In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot. ...

Shuffle error flashing lights! Won't sync, won't play...
Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks. Worked with Itunes just fine. About a week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it. Also great with Itunes; no problems. Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle. (The Shuffle appears in the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.) The update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I got no sound and only flashing red and green lights. This, I see in Ipod HELP, is an error message. In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot...

database layouts won't print, now database won't open
using Mac OS 10.3.4, filemaker pro 7. working with a database converted from filemaker 3. Everything seemed to be fine. Created a new table and imported data into that from another Filemaker 3 database (someone else created these). Layouts were created very easilly. I go to print a layout (label) and choose ALL and it will only print one record, no matter what I put in the print dialogue box. Open other databases and they all printed fine in similar layouts. Tried to "recover' it, thinking it was somehow corrupted (the woman was having a hard time printing it. I thought it was...

LS4000 Won't scan some 35mm film (won't take it in and lock).
Hi- I have a problem where occasionally the film won't load and lock. There seems to be no reason why as there is clear frame spacings on the film and it was developed fine. There is also (what I believe) a decent amount of space at the beginning of the frame. EG. There is about 1/32" (roughly) of space between the sprocket and the end of the film. Does anyone else have this problem with their LS 4000? I am using Vuescan 7.something although that isn't really relative. Thanks for all info! In article <7d43074e.0412031250.7639ca43@posting.google.com>, i...

Won't complete sync
Today, my m500 won't sync correctly. It will start fine, then hang when it gets half-way through, when it gets to Note Pad (and there is nothing in Note Pad), and then says there was an error. Then it won't reconnect unless I reboot. Where should I start to figure out what the problem may be? I had a similar problem to this where the hotsync was never finishing (after hours of waiting). Problem turned out to be a corrupt datebook record which was fixed from palm desktop - Tools | Options | Tools |Check Now. Worth a try. "VBM" <v.mcalister@nospam.ejgd....

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "most problematic yet...nothing but a headache...won't automount external drives...won't recognize CD/DVD...Firefox drops connectivity"
"I have been using Ubuntu since Intrepid, and this has been by far the most problematic version yet! I had the best luck with Jaunty, but Karmic had the safely remove hardware option. Since Lucid is a "LTS" version I figured that I would be trouble free for 3 years... The first thing that was more of an annoyance was that the min. max., and close buttons were all on the left side. I remember a poll here where something like 75% of the people didn't like it. I was hoping that the Beta version would have gotten rid of it, but they didn't. It's not that big of a...

Safari 2.0.5 won't launch; restart won't help
This version of Safari appeared in my Applications folder -- I guess I downloaded it unwittingly during a Software Update? -- and it won't launch. Bounces a couple times in the dock, then stops entirely. Never even gives me a window. I've restarted, no help. I can't go back to the old version, since I've trashed it. How can I get Safari to launch? On 2006-03-17 15:11:09 -0500, Peabo Flegstein-Castroneves <peabo@castroneves.edu> said: > This version of Safari appeared in my Applications folder -- I guess I > downloaded it unwittingly during a Software Update...

Not can't; won't
Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post. I couldn't resist reading the responses via the Google archive to my kiss-off. I'm not subscribed and this really will be my last post, because I'll have said what can/should be said. I feel a need to disabuse the Linux bigots of a few points: - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered girls yet. Others of you, before you first got laid. - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days. Editing /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult. - I c...

Web resources about - Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format - comp.os.ms-windows.misc