Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?

I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference
and why?
     -O

0
Ovid
11/5/2003 5:38:17 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.misc 2965 articles. 1 followers. vnagrik (21) is leader. Post Follow

Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference
> and why?

XP (Pro).

Cause it's 2K with knobs on.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]
0
Stoneskin
11/6/2003 9:50:34 AM
On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote:
>I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference
>and why?

I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is for
Windows 2000. Fast and stable, without all the cruft that XP brings to
the table.

--
  Roger Blake
  (Subtract 10 for email.)
On 2003-11-05, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote:

> I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference
> and why?

Win2k.  Less annoying, don't need the knobs.

--

-John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)
0

"Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote in message
> I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's
preference
> and why?
>      -O

0
Ovid
11/10/2003 7:32:23 PM
"Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> writes:
> I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference
> and why?
>      -O

I'm still with win2k and rather happy, to be honest.    I'm enjoying
great stability and don't really care to deal with MS's product
activiation crap any time I might want to change up peripherals on my
machine and fear XP thinking I've changed too much and want me
reactivate or some such.

Also, there's typically a big stability benefit in staying behind the
technology curve.  The old addage "trust nothing Microsoft until
service pack 3 is released..." and what not.

Even with new machines I've suggested to friends, I'm recommending
win2k.   But XP doesn't appear to suck that much, really.  It seems
pretty stable.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote in message
> "Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> writes:
> > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's
preference
> > and why?
> >      -O
>
> I'm still with win2k and rather happy, to be honest.    I'm enjoying
> great stability and don't really care to deal with MS's product
> activiation crap any time I might want to change up peripherals on my
> machine and fear XP thinking I've changed too much and want me
> reactivate or some such.
>
> Also, there's typically a big stability benefit in staying behind the
> technology curve.  The old addage "trust nothing Microsoft until
> service pack 3 is released..." and what not.
>
> Even with new machines I've suggested to friends, I'm recommending
> win2k.   But XP doesn't appear to suck that much, really.  It seems
> pretty stable.
>
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

0
Ovid
11/17/2003 5:23:03 PM
"Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> writes:

> I'm leaning toward w2k as well.  I don't like the idea of activation, and
> from what I understand xp is memory hungry, no memory starved.  The problem
> is that most if not all new machines come with xp only.  Everybody has to
> jump on the damn bandwagon...one more reason to stay off it I guess.

Much agreed.

This is why I avoid large box computer manufacturers like the plague,
and work with local custom system builders ( for example, myoda.com in
Chicagoland ) who'll install whatever OS I request and purchase...and
only the OS without the maketing tie in crap.   I still order boxes
for myself, friends, and small business acquaintences with vanilla win2k
builds from such local folk.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote in news:m08ymeomfl.fsf@rcn.com:

> "Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> writes:
>
>> I'm leaning toward w2k as well.  I don't like the idea of activation,
>> and from what I understand xp is memory hungry, no memory starved.  The
>> problem is that most if not all new machines come with xp only.
>> Everybody has to jump on the damn bandwagon...one more reason to stay
>> off it I guess.
>
> Much agreed.
>
> This is why I avoid large box computer manufacturers like the plague,
> and work with local custom system builders ( for example, myoda.com in
> Chicagoland ) who'll install whatever OS I request and purchase...and
> only the OS without the maketing tie in crap.   I still order boxes
> for myself, friends, and small business acquaintences with vanilla win2k
> builds from such local folk.
>
> Best Regards,

Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask:
Let's say one DID buy a built system with XP preinstalled....how hard would
it be to wipe the drive clean as though XP were never there and thus install
the OS of one's choice without interference??

~~Shock~~
0
Shock
11/18/2003 6:52:19 PM
Shock <nomail@here.not> writes:

> Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask:
> Let's say one DID buy a built system with XP preinstalled....how hard would
> it be to wipe the drive clean as though XP were never there and thus install
> the OS of one's choice without interference??

Assuming the machine is built on a commercial motherboard and with
commercial peripherals for which there are stable drivers... not
terribly difficult at all.   The problem comes form big box computer
makers where the machine may or may not have customized cheaped down
peripherals or motherboards that require rather specialized drivers
that may not be available for OS's that predate the development of
that box.

I'm not entirely certain, but if you were to slap win2k on it, you
_may_ even be licensed appropriatley by the grace of your preinstalled
Winxp.  Can anyone verify if this is an accurate interpretation of
Microsoft's EULA for an XP machine that comes from a big box
manufacturer--would it cover the installation of an older OS in place
of WinXP?

Best REgards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
On 2003-11-18, Shock <nomail@here.not> wrote:

> Let's say one DID buy a built system with XP preinstalled....how hard would
> it be to wipe the drive clean as though XP were never there and thus install
> the OS of one's choice without interference??

No problem at all, at least until Microsoft rolls out "trusted computing."

--

-John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)
0
John
11/20/2003 6:13:14 AM
On 2003-11-18, Todd H. <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote:

> I'm not entirely certain, but if you were to slap win2k on it, you
> _may_ even be licensed appropriatley by the grace of your preinstalled
> Winxp.  Can anyone verify if this is an accurate interpretation of
> Microsoft's EULA for an XP machine that comes from a big box
> manufacturer--would it cover the installation of an older OS in place
> of WinXP?

IANAL, but I doubt it.  Microsoft has traditionally viewed operating
systems and the hardware on which they are installed as a single unit --
hence the activation feature in XP that ties your license to a particular
machine.  That you may have purchased a license for XP by default when you
bought your machine means nothing. You must still purchase a separate copy
of Win2k or whatever for that same hardware.

It can be very difficult to avoid paying the "Microsoft tax."

--

-John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)
0
John
11/20/2003 6:13:15 AM
Pros:
Service Pack 2 for XP (to be released sometime in 1Q 2004) will come with
new firewall software that's enabled by default.
Also, XP UI is better than Win2K for people with weak vision.

Cons:
After installing Visual Studio .Net on top of XP I started experiencing
crashes. VS .Net on Win2K (on same machine) doesn't result in any crashes.

Boris

"Ovid" <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote in message
> I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's
preference
> and why?
>      -O

0
Boris
11/22/2003 7:10:38 PM
"John Thompson" <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message
| On 2003-11-18, Todd H. <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote:
|
| > I'm not entirely certain, but if you were to slap win2k on it, you
| > _may_ even be licensed appropriatley by the grace of your preinstalled
| > Winxp.  Can anyone verify if this is an accurate interpretation of
| > Microsoft's EULA for an XP machine that comes from a big box
| > manufacturer--would it cover the installation of an older OS in place
| > of WinXP?
|
| IANAL, but I doubt it.  Microsoft has traditionally viewed operating
| systems and the hardware on which they are installed as a single unit --
| hence the activation feature in XP that ties your license to a particular
| machine.  That you may have purchased a license for XP by default when you
| bought your machine means nothing. You must still purchase a separate copy
| of Win2k or whatever for that same hardware.
|
| It can be very difficult to avoid paying the "Microsoft tax."
|
| --
|
| -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

Money-wise that's convenient for them to have the hardware and software
considered a single unit. But that is not the case. A computer can run any
compatible software.

On top of that, when push comes to shove, Microsoft views software as
copyrightable work .. free speech etc. etc. and not hardware. If they had to
make a choice i.e. that software is part of the hardware or is a
copyrightable work they would choose the latter because it means they are in
no way responsible for how well the software works on the machine.

I tend to agree with the later as well. Software is maleable, changable,
writable, can be quite impulsive and so on and really belongs to the realm
of the copyrightable work and not hardware.

NTLDR

0
NTLDR

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro? tf Greetings -- No. Bruce Chambers -- Help us help you: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message news:bgt3er$vm6$1@news.lublin.pl... > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I have created a visual basic program that creates an activeX component. I used the package and deployment wizard and created the internet package cab file with no problems. When upload the cab file to my clients server, they can view the created .htm page perfectly with internet explorer on WindowsXP but when they try and view the .htm file on a windows2000 machine all they get is a small white box. The ActiveX control button never loads? Any ideas? I am about to go the other way. I developed a component in windows 2000 and we're going to upgrade to XP. Does anyone know where ...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

os.system always opens new window on Windows XP/2000
Can anyone tell me how to run a bunch of commands in the same command line window? When I do this: system("command1") system("command2") .... it opens a new window for every system call. The alternative I can think of is to write out the command to a batch file and run that, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it. Partly it is annoying to have 20 cmd windows flash on the screen, but also I don't think it works if I do something like this: system("set envvar=hi") since I think the envvar does not persist once the command window is closed...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?
I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files contained in the backup. Is there a way to restore these files using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux? Best, Myles mylesv@gmail.com wrote: > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files > contained in...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Help: String search in Windows 2000 doesn't find text in Windows XP: MS Word document
Hi: I am using Perl 5 (I believe both machines are using ActivePERL 5) on two machines with the same data files. One machine is Win 2000 the other is Win XP. The files are MS Word 2000 documents e-mailed (manually) from the Win 2000 machine to the XP machine. The program searches the MS Word Files (both created with MS Word 2000) for the word HYPERLINK. The format for the HYPERLINK that I am searching for in the document is: HYPERLINK "mydoc.doc" (I checked this on the XP machine in Notepad and it is OK.) PROBLEM: The program works on the Windows 2000 machine, but doe...

Windows XP style vs. Windows standard style
Hi! If a pc runs XP, is there a way from VO to figure out if it runs with XP style or standard Windows style? Thanks, Terje Terje, IsThemeActive (uxtheme.dll) will give you the answer. Torsten "Terje Barman" <terje@barman-hanssen.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Giasb.5792$mf2.80064@news4.e.nsc.no... > Hi! > > If a pc runs XP, is there a way from VO to figure out if it runs with XP > style or standard Windows style? > > Thanks, > Terje > > ...

802.1x PEAP Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a working 802.1x model setup in our enterprise on both our wired network and our wireless network. We are experiencing strange problems related to drive mappings not showing up, global policies not being push ed down to clients properly, long unexplainable delays with authentication attempts, etc. I have not found any really good resources for 802.1x tweaks. We have the basic concept working, but I am very hesitant about rolling this a large number of users. I would appreciate any information or resources that anyone can point me to. Thx! -mike ...

Web resources about - Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP? - comp.os.ms-windows.misc

The Windows Blog

Reliable window washers a godsend in the booming service industry
Tidy your room, put on your pants &ndash; or at least pull the curtains. The window cleaner sees everything, and sometimes it's not pretty

Dick Smith float looks like window dressing
There are plenty of questions to be answered about the failed chain's financial health when it was sold to shareholders.

Chrome picks up bonus security features on Windows 10
(credit: Moyan Brenn ) The Windows 10 November update (version 1511, build 10586) included a handful of new security features to provide protection ...

Microsoft: Windows 10 will keep you safe, and this is how
The reason Microsoft has given for pushing Windows 10 so aggressively is it wants to get users to a "safe place" . Very altruistic. Although ...

North Korea moves up rocket launch window - Story
Copyright 2016 Cable News Network/Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, ...

Here's why Microsoft wants everyone to get Windows 10 by July — and what happens if they don't
Microsoft is giving away Windows to any existing customers for free until July 29, 2016. This is a dramatic shift from how previous versions ...

Seoul: North Korea moves up rocket launch window
Outside governments suspect planned rocket launch is a banned test of ballistic missile technology