Windows XP vs. Windows 2000

I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way
to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro?

tf

0
Tomasz
8/7/2003 8:43:08 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.misc 2965 articles. 1 followers. vnagrik (21) is leader. Post Follow

Greetings --

    No.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

"Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message
> I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is
there a way
> to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro?
>
> tf

0
Bruce
8/8/2003 1:29:37 PM
Well, it seems that such third-party tool exists:

NetExec by www.losoft.de

Thanks to Michal Kawecki on alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp.

tf

0
Tomasz
8/12/2003 1:20:58 PM
What you need to remember is the MS official Statement (I was told by an
MCT)

Windows2000 was unfinished, and was rushed out by MS, because they ran out
of time to release the OS to Manufacturers, who needed to write device
drivers.

Windows XP is Officially the Finished Version of Windows 2000 Pro.

Blah - Blah - Blah.

Somehow, it does'nt supprise me!

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospam.cableone.net> wrote in message
> Greetings --
>
>     No.
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH
>

> "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message
> > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is
> there a way
> > to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro?
> >
> > tf

0
unknown
9/2/2003 8:43:41 PM
ok .. maybe so .. so y is xp experiencing more problems than 2k ???
"unknown" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> What you need to remember is the MS official Statement (I was told by an
> MCT)
>
> Windows2000 was unfinished, and was rushed out by MS, because they ran out
> of time to release the OS to Manufacturers, who needed to write device
> drivers.
>
> Windows XP is Officially the Finished Version of Windows 2000 Pro.
>
> Blah - Blah - Blah.
>
> Somehow, it does'nt supprise me!
>

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospam.cableone.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings --
> >
> >     No.
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > --
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
> > having both at once. -- RAH
> >

> > "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message
> > > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is
> > there a way
> > > to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro?
> > >
> > > tf

0
me_here
9/27/2003 12:17:09 AM
"me_here" <hathcompnospam@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> ok .. maybe so .. so y is xp experiencing more problems than 2k ???

> "unknown" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> > What you need to remember is the MS official Statement (I was told by an
> > MCT)
> >
> > Windows2000 was unfinished, and was rushed out by MS, because they ran
out
> > of time to release the OS to Manufacturers, who needed to write device
> > drivers.
> >
> > Windows XP is Officially the Finished Version of Windows 2000 Pro.
> >
> > Blah - Blah - Blah.
> >
> > Somehow, it does'nt supprise me!

because xp is the finished version... weren't you listening?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:17:09 +1000, "me_here"
<hathcompnospam@tpg.com.au> wrote:
Yeah XP is having all kinds of problems especially if you do video
editing.

>ok .. maybe so .. so y is xp experiencing more problems than 2k ???
>"unknown" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
>> What you need to remember is the MS official Statement (I was told by an
>> MCT)
>>
>> Windows2000 was unfinished, and was rushed out by MS, because they ran out
>> of time to release the OS to Manufacturers, who needed to write device
>> drivers.
>>
>> Windows XP is Officially the Finished Version of Windows 2000 Pro.

That just means they didn't have time to install all the copyright
protection features that make the entire system run so slower.

Win2kpro is just fine the way it is.
Bill the Bastard doesn't like it because he can't have coming back to
him crying to be his bitch just to get your computer de-glitched.
>> Blah - Blah - Blah.
>>
>> Somehow, it does'nt supprise me!
>>

>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospam.cableone.net> wrote in message
>> > Greetings --
>> >
>> >     No.
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > --
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
>> > having both at once. -- RAH
>> >

>> > "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message
>> > there a way

0
gothika

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

os.system always opens new window on Windows XP/2000
Can anyone tell me how to run a bunch of commands in the same command line window? When I do this: system("command1") system("command2") .... it opens a new window for every system call. The alternative I can think of is to write out the command to a batch file and run that, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it. Partly it is annoying to have 20 cmd windows flash on the screen, but also I don't think it works if I do something like this: system("set envvar=hi") since I think the envvar does not persist once the command window is closed...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

How do I restore OS/2 backup on Windows XP, Windows 2000, or GNU/Linux?
I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files contained in the backup. Is there a way to restore these files using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or GNU/Linux? Best, Myles mylesv@gmail.com wrote: > I have a 2-floppy backup that was created on OS/2 (sorry, version > unknown, but assume it's the most recent available). I do not have > access to an OS/2 machine, but I need access to some of the files > contained in...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Help: String search in Windows 2000 doesn't find text in Windows XP: MS Word document
Hi: I am using Perl 5 (I believe both machines are using ActivePERL 5) on two machines with the same data files. One machine is Win 2000 the other is Win XP. The files are MS Word 2000 documents e-mailed (manually) from the Win 2000 machine to the XP machine. The program searches the MS Word Files (both created with MS Word 2000) for the word HYPERLINK. The format for the HYPERLINK that I am searching for in the document is: HYPERLINK "mydoc.doc" (I checked this on the XP machine in Notepad and it is OK.) PROBLEM: The program works on the Windows 2000 machine, but doe...

Windows XP style vs. Windows standard style
Hi! If a pc runs XP, is there a way from VO to figure out if it runs with XP style or standard Windows style? Thanks, Terje Terje, IsThemeActive (uxtheme.dll) will give you the answer. Torsten "Terje Barman" <terje@barman-hanssen.no> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Giasb.5792$mf2.80064@news4.e.nsc.no... > Hi! > > If a pc runs XP, is there a way from VO to figure out if it runs with XP > style or standard Windows style? > > Thanks, > Terje > > ...

802.1x PEAP Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a working 802.1x model setup in our enterprise on both our wired network and our wireless network. We are experiencing strange problems related to drive mappings not showing up, global policies not being push ed down to clients properly, long unexplainable delays with authentication attempts, etc. I have not found any really good resources for 802.1x tweaks. We have the basic concept working, but I am very hesitant about rolling this a large number of users. I would appreciate any information or resources that anyone can point me to. Thx! -mike ...

Web resources about - Windows XP vs. Windows 2000 - comp.os.ms-windows.misc

The Windows Blog

Reliable window washers a godsend in the booming service industry
Tidy your room, put on your pants &ndash; or at least pull the curtains. The window cleaner sees everything, and sometimes it's not pretty

Microsoft: Windows 10 will keep you safe, and this is how
The reason Microsoft has given for pushing Windows 10 so aggressively is it wants to get users to a "safe place" . Very altruistic. Although ...

North Korea moves up rocket launch window - Story
Copyright 2016 Cable News Network/Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, ...

Windows 10 passes the 15-year-old Windows XP in popularity
Windows 10 came out in July 2015, and it's already achieved a major milestone by Microsoft's standards. It's now used on more PCs than the 15-year-old ...

Here's why Microsoft wants everyone to get Windows 10 by July — and what happens if they don't
Microsoft is giving away Windows to any existing customers for free until July 29, 2016. This is a dramatic shift from how previous versions ...

Seoul: North Korea moves up rocket launch window
Outside governments suspect planned rocket launch is a banned test of ballistic missile technology

BIPV News: Solaria Solar Windows Accepted By US GSA Green Proving Ground Program
Originally published on Green Building Elements After tests at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s (LBNL) FLEXLAB, Solaria BIPV windows have ...