Connecting laptop to desktop

This is hopefully a very basic question.

I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to
share/transfer large files.  I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use
the desktop for internet access from home via modem.

The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro.  I'd like to hook
them together with USB if possible.

Any advice?

Ron

comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

"a" <a@email.com> wrote in message
> This is hopefully a very basic question.
>
> I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to
> share/transfer large files.  I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use
> the desktop for internet access from home via modem.
>
> The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro.  I'd like to hook
> them together with USB if possible.
>
> Any advice?

If the desktop has an ethernet connection, the simplest way would be to
assign an IP address to that interface that is compatible with the office
LAN IP address range. You could use a crossover ethernet cable.  As long as
the IP address is different from the laptop's you should be in business.
Also, use the same workgroup name as at work.

Fred

0
Fred
11/25/2004 3:39:26 AM
Okay, thanks much, will give that a try.

Ron