Dual booting

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi.
Is this group still alive?
Looking for a work around on my problem.
I have a Dual Boot system WINXP PRO and Ubuntu, simple.
I have a DSL-G604T modem DLink what I would like to be able to do is
have the Ubuntu OS able to access the Internet but Keep Windoze away
from the internet. If I ban windoze from net via mac address that will
also stop my Ubuntu? can I give windoze a statis IP and then give Ubuntu
a different static IP?
0
Reply Glenda 2/6/2010 4:00:17 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.networking.windows 3084 articles. 1 followers. Post

How to change from 98/XP dual boot to Linux/XP dual boot?
I currently have a dual boot system with 98SE on drive C: (a partition), and XP on drive F:(the other partition). E: is its own drive, used for storage, and D: is the DVD drive. C: is FAT32 (10 Gigs), E: and F: are NTFS. Anyhow, I never use 98SE anymore, and I'd like to wipe it clean and install Red Hat 9 so I can learn how to use Linux. I assume it is possible, but I'm not familiar with the steps I should take. Are there any tutorials or walk throughs, or simple tips that can guide me? TIA On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:17:21 +0000, w_curtis thoughtfully wrote: > I currently have ...

The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)
first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader, the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not right.but i following http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html changed the /etc/lilo.conf: other=/dev/hda1 label=Minix table=/dev/hda it still does not work.any one can help? I installed the Minix in the first hard disk and first partion(c0d0p0). grass <ittechbay@yahoo.com> wrote: > first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the > slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader, > the Minx c...

Dual Boot with Dual Disk
I have already installed Windows XP on Disk 1. I want to install Linux on Disk 2. Do I need to create /boot for Linux on Disk 1? If yes, I suppose I need to use Partition Magic to make room for /boot on Disk 1. markwitczak@yahoo.com wrote: > I have already installed Windows XP on Disk 1. I want to install > Linux on Disk 2. Do I need to create /boot for Linux on Disk 1? If > yes, I suppose I need to use Partition Magic to make room for /boot on > Disk 1. Why don't you install linux on disk2 then set your /boot partition on disk2 as bootable? Then set your XP partitio...

How My Dual Boot became a Single Boot (Linux)
All I wanted was to play Tux Racer...yeah, and Halo too. That's it. Is it so hard to ask? And now I can...but in the process, I creamed Windos 2000. Here's how it happened. My new PC has onboard video, but after trying to obtain a 3D driver and also seeing piss poor performance with Windos games ( GTA Vice City and Halo ) I decided to be a gamer and get a high end ( for me ) card. A friend of mine recommended the Radeon ATI 9200. Here's how it went: BIOS: Luckily the motherboard ( ASROCK ) had a fairly painless process for switching, but at first I only did one of th...

dual boot dual 450, os9 iffy
Sometimes os9 boots ok, other times the progress bar hangs on the os9.2 start page ( the one just before the desktop comes up ). Now it does this even on the install cd! Im' using a separate hd too. It's happened several times over the last year ( I'm mainly using osx ). I've had to try alot of things to get 9 back up but it started easier aftergetting it going the first time in the cycle ( after not using 9 for a month or so it seems hard to get going again ). I use restart [ option], restart [shift ], restart [c], restart [ command option f o] to no avail . I can't get...

Dual Boot Failed to boot XP
I have a 40GB Primary master on which I had 4 Partitions with XP. I deceided to go for Fedora core 2 still retaining XP.. I deleted one of the partitions and created a / and a swap partition and proceeded with the installation. Upon restart, the GRUB screen showed up and linux boots up neatly. If I select XP, the screen hangs with displaying grub commands.. I have no clue as what is happening.. could somebody pull me out of this muck ? i have some data on XP which i cannot afford to lose.. Iam a real novice and any light in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.. thanks V...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "dual-boot...Ubuntu mostly fails to boot...Win 7 boots fine every time"
"I have a fairly new Dell Vostro 430 that shipped with Windows 7 Pro x64. I shrunk the partition and installed 10.04 (32bit). Win 7 boots fine every time but mostly Ubuntu fails to boot. I get the Grub menu, select 10.04 normal boot, the screen clears and the cursor just sits at the top left corner. When it does boot, I get a bunch of text messages before the wallpaper appears but the messages fly by so fast that I don't have enough time to read them. After the 10.04 install, it would mostly boot and fail about a third, now I am not able to boot 10.04 at all (I think, ...

Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.
I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying 'Checking system hardware ...'. Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at 'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it was reall...

Dual-everything...except dual-boot Windows\Linux
Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) two videocards (nVidia 7800) two DVD burners (Plextor) two 24" LCDs (Dell) .... and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) They chose well. DFS wrote: > Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: > > two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) > two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) > two videocards (nVidia 7800) > two DVD burners (Plextor) > two 24" LCDs (Dell) > ... > and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) > > They chose well. And it s...

Dual boot Win XP/FC3 with Boot Magic
This is almost the same as the post above, except that I cannot boot Linux FC3 at all and the bootloader I chose to use was Boot Magic. I asked this question at LinuxISO.org forum, and so will copy my question below (hoping that by asking in two places I will receive more responses). I have a 2 HD system. The Master C:/ contains the Windows XP OS and the bootloader I chose to use, PowerQuest Boot Magic. In reading "Sam's Learn Fedora Linux in 24 Hours" and "The Dummies Guide to Fedora Linux", it seemed as if it was my choice whether to use GRUB or a bo...

Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.
I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying 'Checking system hardware ...'. Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at 'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it ...

Dual Boot with Boot Floppy (Debian / Win XP)
Hello! I have Win XP and Debian Linux installed on seperate hard discs and I have to swap the cables whenever I want to use each one. I want to put the Win XP disc on the IDE master interface and Debian on the IDE slave and use a boot disc to boot into Debian when I need to. (i.e. if the boot disc is in, the system boots Debian, else boots Win XP) I looked at the GRUB docs but I'm finding it hard to follow and I didn't see a configuration similar to how I want it to work. Can I do this? Any pointers to tutorials with a recipe on how to do it would be appreciated. Many...

Read only: Windows dual boot by editing the boot file
I wonder if anyone has considered using qemu.exe as a way to get a dual -boot system under Windows XP/Vista. There is a way to edit the bootup file to add options, such as the winnt32 command console, in place of the standard Windows boot. Nothing prevents putting in a qemu.exe option instead. Or even a loadlinx.exe option. First there was looplinux, now there is qemu.exe. ...

Dual boot
We have 2 different HP OS's Installed in 2 seperate disks. And I want to switch from one OS to the Other.How to achive this in HP. vjnthi@gmail.com wrote: > We have 2 different HP OS's Installed in 2 seperate disks. And I want > to switch from one OS to the Other.How to achive this in HP. > HP-UX ? Use "setboot" to alter the primary and alternate boot path. Or you have to intervene during boot sequence (EFI - IA, BCH - PA-RISC) and manually select the correct boot device. --vishwas. ...

dual boot
I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS system in another disk and use dual boot to boot up either Solaris 8 or SunOS which depends on the users. Thus we need two different operating sytem in one system. Would any one give me a tip or point out the URL or documents how to install SunOS and how to use dual boot to boot up either Solaris or SunOS. Thanks in addvance. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:09:10 -0400, cljlk wrote: > I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS > system in another disk > and use dual boot to boot up either So...

dual boot?????
I have a Win Me and Xp one the same machine.When I went back to just Win Me, I still get the dual boot selection screen at start up.How do I stop that screen from loading? Thanks Skipp GLENN SCANLON wrote: > I have a Win Me and Xp one the same machine.When I went back to just Win Me, > I still get the dual boot selection screen at start up.How do I stop that > screen from loading? Edit boot.ini in the root directory of the boot partition and set timeout to 0, or from the DOS prompt type sys c: to reinstall the boot sector Me uses. -- Olof Lagerkvist ICQ: 7...

Dual booting Linux with boot.ini, and two hard drives?
Dear Experts, I have successfully installed dual boot linux a number of times. But recently, after changing my primary drive, I have had nothing but problems. And I've tried everything that you are supposed to do. I won't bother with the very lengthy of what I did here, because that's not the question. I do suspect that this might actually be a hardware issue and I'm hoping to see the output from a (your) system that is working correctly. If your system is successfully dual booting Linux with the boot.ini file, please run the following comamnds, and post the output here...

How to make Windows XP default boot on a dual boot laptop
This is a dual boot laptop for my spouse, running XP and Linux as a dual boot. Grub is the bootloader that chains into XP. My question is how to make XP the default choice safely, friendly to update-grub command and having multiple kernels. My wife will mostly use XP, I am surem although she is familiar with linux. Use of directive "default <number>" does not seem to be robust due to changing numbers. Any recommendations? i On 04/14/2009 08:12 PM Ignoramus10773 scribbled: > This is a dual boot laptop for my spouse, running XP and Linux as a > dual boot. Grub is th...

No dual boot!
A few people have tried to create a Mac OS/Windows dual boot environment on the new Intel Macs. In fact, it seems like the quest for the Intel Mac holy grail. So far, there has been no remarkable success. Windows XP doesn't work, as Windows XP doesn't support EFI and no BIOS emulator is yet available. Windows Vista also doesn't work, even though Vista does support EFI, but apparently Apple's implementation of EFI does not support Vista's CD file system and thus can't boot it. Apparently EFI boots kernels like OF does, not like BIOS does, i.e. it loads a kernel or bo...

Dual booting...
Just wondering how many people here are running ONLY warp on a machine that they regularly use? All postings that I see seem to indicate that many people are dual booting. I'm guilty of this aswell (win98 for my games - can't live without them!) but manage to do everything apart from games without using windows - I'd be too scared to let any flavour of windows near the internet these days. Just curious Andrew On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:39:26 -0700, Andrew Holmes scribled: > Just wondering how many people here are running ONLY warp on a machine > that they regularly use? Al...

Dual Booting
I'm wondering if I can get a new perspective on a rather annoying problem. I have been trying to install two different operating systems on different partitions of the same hard disc. I use partition magic and have no problem creating the partitions or installing the operating systems (one is the Vista Beta 5308 and the other is XP). The problem occurs at startup because there is no dual boot screen or screen that lists a choice of OS's. The PC automatically boots into the OS most recently installed. I run the startup recovery disc for the OS that will not start and it tel...

Dual Boot
I am using PC with two HDD One is WinXP second FreeBSD 5.3 What is the best options to switch between two OS? Yvgen F wrote: > I am using PC with two HDD One is WinXP second FreeBSD 5.3 > What is the best options to switch between two OS? The FreeBSD bootloader should do just fine. Yvgen F wrote: > I am using PC with two HDD One is WinXP second FreeBSD 5.3 > What is the best options to switch between two OS? > > GAG is really good, http://gag.sf.net/ On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:20:54 +0100, Andr´┐Ż Gulliksen wrote: > Yvgen F wrote: >> I am ...

dual boot
Hi groups my system is a dual boot with linux and windows in it,while installing linux i choose windows to be my default boot OS,now can i change it in to linux OS as my default boot OS.Can u tell me how to do it, Thanx and bye. On 10 Jan 2004 15:02:22 -0800, srinivas wrote: > Hi groups my system is a dual boot with linux and windows in it,while > installing linux i choose windows to be my default boot OS,now can i > change it in to linux OS as my default boot OS.Can u tell me how to do > it, Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html depends on yo...

How to dual boot
Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system? On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:52:32 -0400, R.Spinks wrote: > Where do I go to find out info on how to set up a dual boot system? google, http://www.tldp.org/ and RTFM for starters. -- Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me! Ummm yeah. Can't get the FM to RTFM on the PC without installing which I don't want to do until I understand how to not kill my current OS. "Lenard" <lenard@127.0....