Dual booting

Hi.
Is this group still alive?
Looking for a work around on my problem.
I have a Dual Boot system WINXP PRO and Ubuntu, simple.
I have a DSL-G604T modem DLink what I would like to be able to do is
have the Ubuntu OS able to access the Internet but Keep Windoze away
from the internet. If I ban windoze from net via mac address that will
also stop my Ubuntu? can I give windoze a statis IP and then give Ubuntu
a different static IP?
0
Glenda
2/6/2010 4:00:17 AM
comp.networking.windows 3087 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

Intel V8 (dual Xeon Quad Core CPU machine)
Man, this thing is over $3000 just for the CPUs, mainboard and memory! But check those benchmarks! I'm wiping the drool off before I soak my keyboard... http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/1/ turk -- The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. -- Stanislaw J Lec ...

re: updating a single cpu to dual G4
Hi all, I need a little advice, I have a G4 400 Gigabit model with Revision 8 motherboard which supports multiprocessors. I recently got a dual 500 board and installed it but the G4 won't boot. No bong, nothing. It powers up, the power light comes on, and then nothing. I have tried pressing the PMU (cuda) switch and still no boot. Any ideas? I re-installed my single processor several times successfully, but the dual refuses to work. I am assured that this board works. Am I missing something. Any mac Gurus with any idea? Thanks Attila Please remove the nospam from the reply em...

dual boot #2
Hi groups,i have a machine which is a dual boot machine with linux and windows,while installing linux i chose windows to be my default boot OS,now can i change it to linux,can u tell me the procedure how to do it,is there any procedure to do it,thanx and bye. srinivas_541@yahoo.co.in (srinivas) writes in comp.sys.sun.admin: |Hi groups,i have a machine which is a dual boot machine with linux and |windows,while installing linux i chose windows to be my default boot |OS,now can i change it to linux,can u tell me the procedure how to do |it,is there any procedure to do it,thanx and bye. It's...

LJ4100 boot problems
Hi, My LJ4100 boots, cycles through the memory (0 to 32MB) then displays all ********* in the control panel then sticks. The DIMM is an original HP one and I have also tested it in another printer and it works fine. I have also tried the cold reboot and clearing the NVRAM. Does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix? I am suspecting a ROM problem which will no doubt hurt my wallet. Thanks indeed. Kind regards, Andy. ...

indigo2 that won't boot
I picked up an old indigo2 that i would like to get in working order. The monitor is attached and powers up, I have reseated all of the memory, video card, and hard drive (which does spin up, though typically after the light goes orange), but as soon as the little sgi ascending tones finish, the status indicator on front of box goes orange. Does this mean that the prom is bad? or is there another possibility? Is there a way to boot from the cd-rom or will I not be able to mount it period without at least getting to a prom prompt? Thanks, --Gord. Gord wrote: > I picked up an old ind...

Utilizing dual-cores/multiple CPUs for image processing
Hello, I have a conceptual question. I need to write a program that will take as input a list of images and then process each image individually (extract useful features from the image) Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each core process an individual image (rather than have all cores processing one image in parallel). The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party parallel extension libraries or do I...

Opteron dual/ dual core rig anyone?
Not been here for a little time but I see that Del and Martin have returned....I also notice that Lee is still here too so all as before<BG> Anyhow to my need for some advise and feedback from others who may have dipped their toes in the Opteron pond. I'm looking to putting together rather than buying a dual, dual core Opteron rig for heavy duty Photoshop work with file sizes going up to several gigs at times. In the past we have always used Matrox cards and have been well pleased with them but what would be the best graphics card to use in this planned rig? As far as ...

Android Linux Tablets boot faster than windopws laptops
Android Linux Tablets boot faster than windopws laptops ------------------------------------------------------- I got my Hanspree SN10T1 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/271191 (UK Pounds 160). and comparing its boot time with this guy and his big powerful laptop fitted with slow booting windopws. Sad comparison result. Look away if you are windopws fan boi. About 5 minutes for the guy to boot PC and pull up a powerpoint like presentation of his new products he is going to be manufacturing. 35 to 40 seconds for the Android to boot and pull up a do same presentation. Combine that with mini...

Dual Power Mac 2.5 versus Dual Xeon 3.4 versus Dual Opteron 2.6
http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:05:17 -0600, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote: >http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html Translation: If all you're doing is running Photoshop, then get a Mac. Dont see why this is a shock to anyone. Adobe has been Apple optimized for years. jfizer wrote: > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:05:17 -0600, Jim Polaski > <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote: > > >http://www.barefeats.com/macv...

looking for good dual-head window manager #2
What type of video card do you have? Both ATI's and nVidia's latest generation cards (GeForce 3 and up) normally support dual monitors right out of the box as long as they have some combination of VGA/S-video/DVI. ATI's is called Hydravision and nVidia's is called TwinView. I've actually used TwinView on my GeForce4 Ti 4200 using two 17" CRTs. One monitor was connected to the VGA port and the other one was connected to the DVI using a DVI to VGA converter. Setup for the GeForce card was completely painless. I downloaded the driver from nVidia's site, installe...

Dual-boot IIe?
Here's one I've never seen before: eBay: 171406272566 Double-sized ROMs with both IIe and II+ firmware and a switch to toggle the high address line. In article <3e1073df-b246-435c-8004-9b4b5234824e@googlegroups.com>, Howard Poe <hojopo@gmail.com> wrote: > On Friday, August 1, 2014 5:03:57 AM UTC-7, Steven Hirsch wrote: > > Here's one I've never seen before: > > > > > > > > eBay: 171406272566 > > > > > > > > Double-sized ROMs with both IIe and II+ firmware and a switch to toggle ...

[9fans] simple question: I want boot to bring up an rc prompt in boot()
Is there some simple way to set up an (e.g.) pccpu such that when boot() runs, after it sets up the basic namespace, it drops me into an rc prompt? This would help me with debugging. In the past I've done this by hacking on boot.c; I'm wondering if I'm missing something. thanks ron If you look at the now-deprecated /sys/src/9/pc/pcfl, you'll see how to start rc and just skip the boot program entirely. Russ > Is there some simple way to set up an (e.g.) pccpu such that when boot() > runs, after it sets up the basic namespace, it drops me into an rc > prompt?...

lvm boot problem #2
I'm having trouble with OS/2 installation issues with LVM. I'm not sure if its something to do with the LVM install utility as compared to lvmgui.exe. if its not that, I'm must be doing something wrong.... this the drives I'm trying to set up. viking 2 7 megs - boot manager primary 4337 - C: primary Atlas 2 7 megs - free space 1506 - D: primary 7860 - F: logical (currently hidden - CD drive letter # issue) I'm installing OS/2 to drive D: I've plans to install windows XP to drive C: (don't have th...

Matlab on dual core
Hi all. I have a performance problem with matlab6.5R13 with the dual core. My advisor just gave me a computer with Intel(R) Pentium(R)D CPU 2.66GHz 2.66GHz, 512 RAM. running on Microsoft windows XP Professional version 2002 Service Pack2. I have Labview and Matlab installed already. Labview and others are working fine but Matlab. I just notice the performance on the windows task manager, While windows is starting up, CPU usage is 100% and the system(Processes) is running all of my programs even matlab.exe (30-50%cpu).After everything is done (matlab still using 50% CPU), I start Matlab applic...

Any detail documentation on the booting process of Minix
Hi, I am a student working on my thesis, which may use MINIX as one of the platforms and I may add some new functionalities like optimization etc .... For now I am tweaking the boot loader of MINIX 3. bootblock.s is the first stage boot loader boothead.s and boot.c are the second stage. You need to run installboot to write some numbers into bootblock for it to load the second stage boot loader/monitor. Are there any documentation available about the detail boot process of MINIX?, so that I can write own boot loader for MINIX specially for the embedded systems. That's what I am trying to...

monitor spanned port from dual NIC'd fedora machine
i would like to monitor traffic on my 2950 switch. i have set up port 1 (the downlink from router) to span to 24. will monitoring port 1 effectively monitor all on the switch, or should i select them individually? i did this in the 2950's GUI. also, i want to monitor via an ssh session to a linux machine (having 2 nics) one plugged into 24, and the other to a live port (so i can access it remotely via ssh, because span disables the traffic on port 24 (e.g. although i can ping the interface from my workstation, i can't ssh into it). i don't have console access or a monitor on this...

Computer resets several times while booting
For some time now my machine has been resetting itself several times at boot time before eventually booting successfully. After some investigation I'm still no closer to finding the cause of the problem. Apologies for the length of this post but I want to make sure I give enough information about what I have and haven't tried in my attempts to fix it. I've run memtest overnight with good results. I've also pulled all of the RAM chips and tried booting with just one 256 MB module at a time and it still resets. This leads me to believe that it's not the RAM that's at fau...

SGI320: CPU-upgrade problem with ... DUAL 500 --> DUAL 700
hi there ... i got a strange problem with my sgi320, that i puchased used about half a year ago. the original configuration, the way i got this machine was: * DUAL PIII-500, 1x512MB RAM ... with SCSI-Option and Travan-Streamer I recently upgraded my memory to 2*512 to get my machine maxed out .. which worked fine. BUT: ... now i tried to upgrade my CPUs ... to 2* PIII-700 (same SPEC-level, same year of production, even same country) ... * i do have a 007 B mainboard, PROM 1.1005, with a VRM from VXI (the original built-in one!! - P/N: 073-20742-50 / D/C: 98494DW REV: C) So...

Two boot options, but one working install
As I was partitioning a second hard drive I accidently started an install of Windows XP on the second drive even though I already had a working install on the original drive. I stopped the install, but now I have two options on every boot. One is to boot with the original install and one with the new install. Unfortunately, the original install is not the default. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I would, at the very least, like to set the original install as the default, but preferably, delete the second install completely. Thanks for any help... Zeb ...

Dual *external* monitors with laptop?
I'm looking to replace my desktop PC with a laptop. I'm used to working with side-by-side 20" and 19" monitors using Windows XP's dual monitor support. I'd like to be able to keep these two monitors and use them in the exact same configuration as I use them today with my desktop PC. A docking station of some sort sounds appropriate, but I'd like to use my standard keyboard and monitors and just leave the laptop closed and out of the way (in the docking station) while I'm at my desk. In searching for whether or not this configuration will work ...

Theoretical Question--Mounting Root at Boot
Hi, I'm a mid-level noob, and I'm trying to better understand the bootup process. I learned rdev tells your kernel where to find the root filesystem. So the kernel must mount that filesystem on / (how does the kernel know what mount options to use here?). After mounting the root fs, Linux can now access /etc/fstab. So why does fstab need a line for how to mount root, if the kernel somehow already mounted root successfully? -- Linux A. Wannabe PizzaPie Linux A. Wannabe PizzaPie <pizzapie_linuxanchovies@verizon.net.invalid> wrote: > kernel know what mount options to u...

Problems reinstalling grub/lilo (they always hang at boot time ...)
I suddenly cannot boot my ubuntu (5.04) linux system anymore (nor windows). Everything worked fine until yesterday, but since I last shut down my linux system I cannot boot any OS :( Grub hangs after displaying the following messages: Grub loading Stage1.5 Grub loading, please wait... I've booted my system via the SystemRescueCD and I've followed the instructions on the Grub wiki http://grub.enbug.org/GrubLegacy in the troubleshooting section, but unfortunately without any success. Using the described method via chroot actually does not work since grub-install then ...

Xen on a laptop. Virtualization as an alternative to dual boot or emulators.
Has anybody done a Xen installation on a Laptop? I was thinking if WinXP+Fedora on top of Xen might be a viable option. Or not? Currently my Laptop runs WinXP because of all the "Win-only" work related software I must use. (Yes I know, it sucks! ) But I am really dying to have a Linux installation too. I tried Win emulators on Fedora before but they don't work so well as a native installation of WinXP. I could have a dual boot but its a pain to reboot each time. With vitualization I can dynamically switch between the two, right? I do have a 2 year old Inten Duo 1.6 Ghz...

Dual booting old linux with new xp install
Hi there, I've got SuSE 9.1 installed on ide0 (ie master), all on one big partition with a little swap partition. I now have to install Windows XP to cope with stupid people who can't make cross-platform software, and no, I can't use Wine. So, I thought to myself, that'll be easy. What I'll do is: Get new hard drive. Make the new hard drive the master for the time being. Install XP on it (also on one partition). Switch them back round and add an entry: title Windows root (hd1) chainloader +1 to GRUB's menu.lst Boy, was I wrong. M...

IBM PS/2 95 Server auction (95 dual ports)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042582743 Aug-28-03 18:00:07 PDT Tennessee militia alert? On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:47:58 -0500, Louis Ohland <ohlandl@charter.net> wrote: >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042582743 >Aug-28-03 18:00:07 PDT > >Tennessee militia alert? I've got a good stock of 9595-1NX to sell over the winter and I can ship them at a much lower rate. The hot ticket on this item is the caddy CD and bezel? I've asked to see them close-up. ...