Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP

First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my
limitations in this area.

I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A.

I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain
B using Windows explorer.

I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B.
A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not
contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file
system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files
from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames
being invalid. Only files which follow the old filename convention of
names being 8.3 can be copied.

Anyone have thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks -

Tim
0
timothy
9/11/2003 3:54:29 PM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

Putting a Windows XP Drive in a Windows 2000 box ...
Hello All, Check this out ... one of my fellow employees had to travel to China for business and she brought her laptop (a Dell Inspiron 8000) to the factory when an "IT" guy tried to install a network printer to the machine. The "IdioT" added a new domain and now the Fellow employee can no longer log into the machine. But before you tell me to simply switch domains, she assures me the only thing she can do on log in is enter her password, she is the administrator of the laptop, and cant switch domains (or users) and can't guess what the password would be s...

Eudora on Windows 2000/XP is VERY slow to start up when data is on mapped network drive
Using Eudora 6.2.3 (but this is true for any recent version) ... Eudora on Windows 2000/XP is VERY slow to start up ... up to 3 mintues of a fast machine ... when its data resides on a mapped network drive. The command line is: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe "N:\mailbox_folder" On Win98, all is fine. However, when executing this command from Windows 2000/XP, Eudora may take over 3 minutes to start. It does not matter what operating system is hosting the mapped network drive. Does anyone know the reason for this delay and how to cure it? Thank you. Edward <mailbox100@pacbell.net> wrote in news:3di9e1dtpch6eo741kofih9cilpaqrq1s5@4ax.com: > Using Eudora 6.2.3 (but this is true for any recent version) ... > Eudora on Windows 2000/XP is VERY slow to start up ... up to 3 mintues > of a fast machine ... when its data resides on a mapped network drive. > The command line is: > C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe "N:\mailbox_folder" > > On Win98, all is fine. However, when executing this command from > Windows 2000/XP, Eudora may take over 3 minutes to start. It does not > matter what operating system is hosting the mapped network drive. > > Does anyone know the reason for this delay and how to cure it? Thank > you. It may be that the instance of Eudora running on the XP machine wants to open lots of windows (mailboxes) which have to be retrieved from the network drive. Try closing all windows when...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I have created a visual basic program that creates an activeX component. I used the package and deployment wizard and created the internet package cab file with no problems. When upload the cab file to my clients server, they can view the created .htm page perfectly with internet explorer on WindowsXP but when they try and view the .htm file on a windows2000 machine all they get is a small white box. The ActiveX control button never loads? Any ideas? I am about to go the other way. I developed a component in windows 2000 and we're going to upgrade to XP. Does anyone know where ...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro? tf Greetings -- No. Bruce Chambers -- Help us help you: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message news:bgt3er$vm6$1@news.lublin.pl... > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there...

Networking Windows 7 with Windows XP
My Windows 7 and Windows XP computers can't talk to each other. They have = the same workgroup and are in the same subnet. Windows 7 can ping XP by IP= address but not by hostname. Windows XP can't ping Windows 7 by IP addres= s or host name. They were talking to each other until I restored the XP co= mputer from a backup, so I don't think the issue is with Windows 7. Any id= eas? ...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

802.1x PEAP Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a working 802.1x model setup in our enterprise on both our wired network and our wireless network. We are experiencing strange problems related to drive mappings not showing up, global policies not being push ed down to clients properly, long unexplainable delays with authentication attempts, etc. I have not found any really good resources for 802.1x tweaks. We have the basic concept working, but I am very hesitant about rolling this a large number of users. I would appreciate any information or resources that anyone can point me to. Thx! -mike ...

Windows 7 and Windows XP network stop working
Hello, well after few days I can't access Windows 7 sharing from a Windows XP machine. Win7 with Win7 always work great. When i restart the Server service it work again for few days and then stop again... It's really boring. Anyone can help? Thank You ...

dot1x authentication on windows xp and windows 2000 workstations
we're trying to test dot1x authentication on wired LAN and the set-up was already completed according to the cisco documentation on setting up dot1x for wired network, we've already tried to acquire ip address thru authentication and it worked, the problem is everytime we try to restart the workstation it already has the same ip we've acquired before we restarted the workstation. how can we make the workstation prompt first for auuthentication before it acquire ip address upon startup??? On Nov 19, 2:28 am, "acbgamir" <u39193@uwe> wrote: > we're trying to t...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. >...

running windows 98/2000/me games on windows XP
Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with XP. Thanks in advance for your help! There is one for runng DOS, most games work farly good on XP... Jesus Hernandez wrote: > Is there any product out there that allows you to run these games from older > platforms to windows XP. I've got all sort of favorites from SIM City to > Dungeon Keeper 2, but they don't seem to want to play nice with ...

Windows xp Pro cannot see Windows 2000 Pro
I have been trying to solve this problem for months! I have 4 PCs in a workgroup, 3 are Windows XP Pro and 1 is a Windows 2000 Pro. The Windows 2000 PC can see all of the Windows XP machines. It can copy files to them it can share the printer connected to one of them no issues. None of the Windows xp (2 are sp2 1 is sp1)can see the Windows 2000 PC. If I ping the 2000 PC I get back an Ip address, but it times out. I have double checked the Workgroup name. They all login as administrator same password. They can all get to the internet using the cable modem connected to one of the...

Windows Time, Windows 2000 server and XP Client
Hi, We currently have a windows 2000 machine that has an atomic clock on it. Our PDC (NT 4.0 Server) looks at this to get it's time, and all our NT 4.0 Workstations get the time from this. We are rolling out windows XP, and are trying to build a standard image that look at for the time on either the windows 2000 server or the NT 4.0 PDC. I can't get this working at the moment - if i choose to 'Synchronize with an Internet Time Server', and name either the PDC or Windows 2000 server, it fails. Also, if I type 'NET TIME' from a command prompt, it locates...

Web resources about - Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP - comp.networking.windows

Value stream mapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... Identify the target product family or service. Create a charter, define the problem, set the goals and objectives, and select the mapping team. ...

Business Mapping API
If your business operates multiple apps, the Business Mapping API lets you map the same person's user ID across them.

Mapping Facebook’s Recent Global Growth Versus Rivals
Facebook is gaining on most of its competitors, according to another look at social networking around the world. We regularly cover the service’s ...

Mobile Developer (Android), HERE Crowd Mapping at HERE, a Nokia business in Frankfurt , Schwalbach or ...
The Community Mapping product team in the HERE Core Platform Group (CPG) is looking for a passionate and experienced mobile app developer to ...

iMindQ Lite (mind mapping) - Free Brainstorming app on the App Store on iTunes
Get iMindQ Lite (mind mapping) - Free Brainstorming app on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Claims of a cover-up and millions wasted in NSW native vegetation mapping saga
A bitter row over how to map NSW's precious natural habitat has split the state's environment ministry, prompting accusations of millions of ...

Losing the plot: how native vegetation mapping went feral
A simmering dispute over native vegetation mapping in NSW is set to come a head this year as the Baird government prepares to overhaul its biodiversity ...

GM works on new mapping tech to aid autonomous driving
Filed under: GM , Emerging Technologies , Technology , Autonomous New technology from General Motors and Mobileye could use a whole fleet of ...

Apple’s fleet of mapping vans may point to an exciting new iOS 10 feature
Apple Maps famously got off to a rocky start, but Apple over the past two years has done a respectable job of fleshing out new mapping features ...

New metabolic mapping reveals how the human brain is connected
The quest to understand ourselves by modeling the human brain continues this week with news from Germany, where a team of researchers discovered ...