networking win 98 and win xp home computers

I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet
connection.  Conection is shared no problem.
Now for the home networking part...........
I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great  Restart....
then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98
computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart

Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home
network is greyed out...........
On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's
computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer
On the 98 computer, My Network Neighborhood shows only "Entire Network" and
when i click on that I get..."unable to browse network...........not
accessible"

Can someone point me in the right direction?? Thanks!!

0
Lisa
5/24/2004 3:48:38 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

how to network win 98 and win xp
Hi there , what do I need to do to connect on a network a laptop with win98se and a desktop with winxphe . Thanks , Paky ...

Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98
Hello, In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two computers work on the same *.dbf tables. I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and server are on Win98. There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server, and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution??? Has anyone met this problem??? How did You solve it?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Andrzej Maybe a read of this article could help http://www.witze...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places on the host. The local shares do appear. When I view My Network Places on the client, all shares are shown (both local and host). I have deleted all the old Win 98 share entries from the My Network Places list. The net view command at the host command prompt reports both computers by name. They are assigned to the same workgroup. Is there some remnant from the old Win 98 client that is preventing the new computer name from being recognized? How can I troubleshoot this problem? Thanks, Peter On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:07:05 GMT, Peter Crickman <p.crickman@att.net> wrote: >How can I troubleshoot this problem? Does it make any difference if you "enable netbios over tcp/ip" instead of the default (in the tcp/ip properties)? Jim. ...

setup a home network with win-xp laptop and win 2K desktop
hi, i have a windows-XP laptop and a windows-2000 desktop both connected to internet through a belkin router. can anyone tell me how to setup these computers onto a local network and access the files of each computer from the other??? - i did put both computers onto same workname - desktop is able to see the laptop but is not able to connect to it - laptop is not even seeing anything, it complains abt not having permissions to connect to that workname ur help is appreciated thanks Go into Network properties -> TCPIP -> Advanced -> WINS and enable NetBios over TCP...

Network Win 2000 and Win XP
I have Win 2K running on my desktop which is connected to my ISP and XP on my laptop that I take on the road. Is there a link that shows the step by step procedures to network two disimilar OS such as this? Tkx On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:01:33 +0100, "Disco" <plperry@skynet.be> wrote: >I have Win 2K running on my desktop which is connected to my ISP and XP on >my laptop that I take on the road. Is there a link that shows the step by >step procedures to network two disimilar OS such as this? > >Tkx > > What problems are you having? I ha...

Network hp7960 printer Win xp to Win ME?
Printer installs ok on the win xp PC. When trying to network with the laptop running ME, the laptop sees the printer on the networked PC, and thens asks for the cd disk. However, this is where the problem begins. When following the install steps, it cannot find certain files on the install disk, nor will it use the installed files from the xp computer. I've installed this printer on an xp pc and an xp laptop. It just will not install as a networked printer between the laptop running win ME and the PC running xp. I did find step by step procedures on the following web site, but even that doesn't work. http://support.its.ied.edu.hk/stffaq/7.3.html Any insight into this problem? Given that the Photosmart 7960 is a USB-only printer, I would guess that HP does not want you to network it, and makes it difficult to do so. I've seen writeups explaining how one can "force" a supposedly non-networked printer to be used across a network, but only for older parallel port printers. I'm not sure I can help with this one. Did you install the printer on one or the other computer, then give it a share name? If so, it may be possible to install it physically on the other computer, move it back to where you want it to be (a desktop computer), then reconfigure the printer's port by associating it with the share name seen across the network. Don't ask me exactly how to do it. I'd have to tinker with it a bit to figure it out. If it's a...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. ...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me.
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. "ARaman" <appusaves@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e25a84b5.0310221923.1d959a70@posting.google.com... > How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? > WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show > the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method > works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks > in advance. http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt ...

Win Win Win Win......
Win Win Win Win...... Win cash Rs.10,000. SMS BLUFF to 57333 (Only For Indian) Free Registration! - Register here Free:- http://offr.biz/HLDDT337130BVGMJPF (....Free Offer is Valid Only For First 250 members who Registered...) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro
I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer. I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Russ Askea askear@yahoo.com On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote: >I have two computers in my home...

networking XP Pro and Win 98
I am trying to network my main computer and XP Pro Athelon 1700 to a Win 98 machine. I am using a Belkin 4 port router. I can't get the computers to see each other. However, I can get on the WEB from my 98 machine and I can check email from my main Athelon computer but I can get the browser to connected to any web sites from my Athelon computer. The Belkin setup site says its connected, which i know it has to be, since i can check my email. The WAN light on my router blinks, what does that mean? The port lights are on and on solid. I do have the properties checked so that the driv...

Networking Windows 2K and XP
Here's a posting from a friend having problems setting up a Windows XP computer to share a Windows 2K network. <begin friend's quote> "At work, I've set up a brand new machine with XP, and now need to copy my files, etc to it from the old one. Our office is set up with a Win2K server plus 2 other machines besides mine. (so 4 in total) I can't seem to be able to get the network to work on any of the machines, to see my machine or mine to see them... I have now turned off the Firewall on the XP machine, its in the same workgroup as the others, I gave mys...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Belkin Ad-hoc network with XP and Win 98
I have Win98se Desktop with dedicated phone line with 56k dial-up. Acer Laptop Win98se Dell Laptop WinXP Home I purchased three 802.11b Belkin Cards one for each machine. PCMCIA cards for the laptops and PCI card for the DT The installation of the cards went well. They see each other, Green lights on the cards, and blue (not red) icons in the tray. I have ploughed through network settings and am at the point where: The laptops can access each other - using TCP/IP, a workgroup with the IP addresses manually assigned. All fire-walls are uninstalled (just off was not enough). BTW I got all ...

Networking two win xp pro computers problem
Hello, I have two computers seperated by about 25 feet running win xp pro and formatted with fat32 so I wanted to use simple file sharing to connect them so I could share a printer. I used the same brand ethernet cards linked to a hub, which displays two green lights. Both cards read enabled and working properly under System. On the first computer I used the networking wizard to create a workgroup called MSHOME. Shared the drive and gave it a name. computer: good share name mul. This shows up in network places. I created a network setup disk and ran the wizard on the other...

Belkin Ad-hoc network with XP and Win 98
I have Win98se Desktop with dedicated phone line with 56k dial-up. Acer Laptop Win98se Dell Laptop WinXP Home I purchased three 802.11b Belkin Cards one for each machine. PCMCIA cards for the laptops and PCI card for the DT The installation of the cards went well. They see each other, Green lights on the cards, and blue (not red) icons in the tray. I have ploughed through network settings and am at the point where: The laptops can access each other - using TCP/IP, a workgroup with the IP addresses manually assigned. All fire-walls are uninstalled (just off was not enough). BTW I got all ...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

<<Win 98/Xp Network problems>>
Hi, I have 4 computers that all share a 2mb charter fast internet connection. I have two XPs and 2 WIN98se. The proplem is that none of them can share a printer or share files. I have manaully shared drives, ran network setups, but it does nothing. I always get errors: ex: not avaible or stuff like that. I have been working and using networks for a couple of years, but this is boggling to me. I believe that it may be because of the mix network of wired and wireless. Here is the specs: PC1>>WinXP connects via wire 100mbps to netgear MR814(wireless hub). One win98 and the other xp connect ...

networking with win XP
i just built a linux machine which i want to surf the net on but it does not see my windows machine which has the internet any ideas ( i am a newbie to linux so plain english replys plz) AMD k62/500 128mb ram 6g hdd 8x8x32 burner 64mb video 3com3c905-tx nic "tony" <meman65@comstar.net.au> skrev i meddelandet news:bt534r$aad$1@perki.connect.com.au... > i just built a linux machine which i want to surf the net on but it does not > see my windows machine which has the internet any ideas ( i am a newbie to > linux so plain english replys plz) > > AMD k62/500 > 128mb ram > 6g hdd > 8x8x32 burner > 64mb video > 3com3c905-tx nic > > Set up the win machine for 'Internet sharing' tony <meman65@comstar.net.au> wrote: > i just built a linux machine which i want to surf the net on but it does not > see my windows machine which has the internet any ideas ( i am a newbie to > linux so plain english replys plz) Eventually you'll probably want to plug the Internet directly into the Linux box, and then plug the Windows box into the Linux one. But I think in your case that might be getting ahead of yourself. For instance, you'll need to know about such things as NIC (ethernet cards), IP addresses (RFC 1918), and packet forwarding. And IPTables. For now, why don't you simply unplug the Internet from the Windows machine (I'm guessing an ethernet/cable modem connection), plug it into the Linux...

How to connect WIN2000 and WIN XP Home network for peer to peer communication
Hi, I have a Win2000 Professional desktop and a Win XP Home connected to a router to share the internet. I want to enable share folders and share printers between them by MS network but - I enable the NetBEUI in Win2000 Professional but I cannot find the NetBEUI Protocol in Win XP Home; - I enable the home networking in Win XP Home but it tell me that the networking can only be used in Win98, 98SE, ME and XP only. Can you tell me how to connect the Win2000 and WinXP for folder and printer sharing? Thanks. On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:19:33 +0800, "Francis" <happybo...

Web resources about - networking win 98 and win xp home computers - comp.networking.windows

Synchronous optical networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SONET and SDH, which are essentially the same, were originally designed to transport circuit mode communications (e.g., DS1 , DS3 ) from a variety ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

13 different Netgear networking products are all on sale today only
... huge sale on Netgear products. In this sale, you're going to find killer prices on everything from routers and cable modems to powerline networking ...

Aruba Shows Off HPE Integration With New Networking Offerings
At Aruba's user conference, officials unveil a range of integrated wired and wireless that take advantage of the best of both companies.

Review: Eero's Innovative Wi-Fi System Takes The Hassle Out Of Networking, For A Price
This startup's approach to Wi-Fi may be more Apple-esque than Apple's own Wi-Fi gear. More than a year ago, a startup called "Eero" announced ...

Why Facebook Plans To Bring Virtual Reality To Social Networking?
Facebook recently announced that it has created a social VR (virtual reality) team focused entirely on exploring the future of social interaction ...

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations

Edtech providers move from Moocs to social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations