Windows XP networking problem??

Hello,

I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a
Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal
connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the
other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other
computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot
even see the printer in the shared resources.
However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection
properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make
the computers talk to each other?

Thanks,
Anand.

comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"Andy" <anandastro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a
> Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal
> connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the
> other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other
> computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot
> even see the printer in the shared resources.
> However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection
> properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make
> the computers talk to each other?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand.

0
Carey
1/26/2005 12:30:17 PM
Andy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a
> Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal
> connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the
> other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other
> computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot
> even see the printer in the shared resources.
> However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the
connection
> properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make
> the computers talk to each other?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand.

1-run >> mmc >>> file >> add/remove snap-in >>> add >> group policy >>
click finish >> close >> ok
2- at the left pane expand computer configuration >>expand windows
settings >>> expand local policies >> select security options
3- at the right pane A: double click and disable the "Accounts: Limit
local account use of blank passwords to console logon only..
B: double click the "Network access: sharing and security model for
local accounts" and change it to "classic"

0
broadcast
I checked both of the above solutions but do not work.
I cannot see group policies selection in the mmc.

I am not able to share yet.

please help.

Anand.

broadcast wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a
> > Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal
> > connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the
> > other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other
> > computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I
cannot
> > even see the printer in the shared resources.
> > However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the
> connection
> > properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to
make
> > the computers talk to each other?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anand.
>
> 1-run >> mmc >>> file >> add/remove snap-in >>> add >> group policy
>>
> click finish >> close >> ok
> 2- at the left pane expand computer configuration >>expand windows
> settings >>> expand local policies >> select security options
> 3- at the right pane A: double click and disable the "Accounts: Limit
> local account use of blank passwords to console logon only..
> B: double click the "Network access: sharing and security model for
> local accounts" and change it to "classic"

0
Andy

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com ...

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all...

Networking Windows 7 with Windows XP
My Windows 7 and Windows XP computers can't talk to each other. They have = the same workgroup and are in the same subnet. Windows 7 can ping XP by IP= address but not by hostname. Windows XP can't ping Windows 7 by IP addres= s or host name. They were talking to each other until I restored the XP co= mputer from a backup, so I don't think the issue is with Windows 7. Any id= eas? ...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Networking RISC PC to Windows XP Network
Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions to enable me to network my Acorn RISC PC running RISCOS 4.02 to a Windows XP network. I want to transfer files between both machines. I would also like to connect my Acorn thru this network to my Broadband Internet. On the RISC PC I have SmbServer 0.07 installed but not set up along with LanMan98. Is it possible to do all these things and can a rather slow person configure the machines to work? John Ealey John Ealey wrote: > Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions ...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Windows XP Networking problems
Hi, I bought a SpaceCube and tried to set up a network with my RISPC Kinetic 4.03 through an 8 port 10/100M fast internet switch. After a lot of tweaking, I got the system and Tight VNC working. However, somehow I screwed it up and now, I can send files to MyDocs, C etc, on the SpaceCube. I can rename and delete them from RISC OS, but I cannot bring files back to the RISC PC or read them on the RISC PC side - I receive a timeout error. Also, Tight VNC freezes with a black window. I have wallpaper disabled on the Windows side. I am using Omniclient and can open C, MyDocs and Shared...

Web resources about - Windows XP networking problem?? - comp.networking.windows

Upstream (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , upstream refers to the direction in which data can be transferred from the client to the server ( uploading ). This ...

Peach Social Networking App Launches on iOS
Social networking app Peach has launched on iOS, giving each user a space to share quick updates about their daily lives, and follow the lives ...

Amped Wireless Launches APOLLO IP Cameras and Updates Networking Lineup at CES
... marketing equipment with long range, high-performance power amplifiers and high-gain antennas. At CES, they had the usual updates to the networking ...

How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things
... network connection, these devices will fail to deliver that value. Device owners can choose between a number of established and emerging networking ...

Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ...
Schools Participating in Cisco's Networking Academy Program Receive More Than ... CNNMoney Cisco Canada (NASDAQ: CSCO) in partnership with ...

Sources: Presidio To Buy $350M Cisco Networking Powerhouse Netech *
Presidio is expected to make its second acquisition in less than a month by purchasing Netech Corp., a fast-growing networking VAR with SMB and ...

Edimax lands networking device orders for production automation
Networking/communication device maker Edimax Technology has obtained orders from US-based clients for about 25,000 wireless networking devices ...

Broadcom Targets Cars, Home Networking, Mobile Platforms at CES
The chip maker's new products include SoCs to help with navigation in connected vehicles and for high-end routers in the home.

Five Cringe-Worthy Networking Mistakes To Avoid In 2016
Liz Ryan lays out five major networking sins NOT to commit in 2016!

Better Networking With A Macintosh Classic
... with DOS, while the Mac enjoyed real, non-bitmapped fonts. Where a Windows PC required LANMAN to connect to a network, the Mac had networking ...