Windows XP Pro/Home Networking Problem

Hi,

I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the
internet.  I have also successfully connected them together by way of the
workgroup function.  Each of these PCs is shown on the others.

The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared
Documents folder on the laptop.  While, the Shared Documents folders on the
desktops can be accessed from the others.

The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP
Professional.

Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this.

Thanks & regards,

0
Kenneth
12/9/2004 3:09:19 PM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

What is the error message you receive (word for word)?

Carey

"Kenneth Wong" <kenwong@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the
> internet.  I have also successfully connected them together by way of the
> workgroup function.  Each of these PCs is shown on the others.
>
> The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared
> Documents folder on the laptop.  While, the Shared Documents folders on
> the
> desktops can be accessed from the others.
>
> The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP
> Professional.
>
> Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this.
>
> Thanks & regards,

0
Carey

Ross
"Kenneth Wong" <kenwong@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the
> internet.  I have also successfully connected them together by way of the
> workgroup function.  Each of these PCs is shown on the others.
>
> The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared
> Documents folder on the laptop.  While, the Shared Documents folders on
the
> desktops can be accessed from the others.
>
> The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP
> Professional.
>
> Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this.
>
> Thanks & regards,

0
Ross
12/11/2004 9:22:45 AM
Try turning off simple file sharing on all the xp computers.

0
tb2007
12/11/2004 1:32:39 PM
It says "\(workgroupname)\(sharedocs) is not accessible.  You might not have
permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this
server to find out if you have access permission.  The network path was not
found."

"Carey" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> What is the error message you receive (word for word)?
>
> Carey
>
> "Kenneth Wong" <kenwong@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have 3 PCs (2 desktops and 1 laptop) connected through a router to the
> > internet.  I have also successfully connected them together by way of
the
> > workgroup function.  Each of these PCs is shown on the others.
> >
> > The problem is: From either the 2 desktops I cannot access the Shared
> > Documents folder on the laptop.  While, the Shared Documents folders on
> > the
> > desktops can be accessed from the others.
> >
> > The 2 desktops run Windows XP Home and the laptop runs Windows XP
> > Professional.
> >
> > Would appreciate it very much if any one can give me advice on this.
> >
> > Thanks & regards,

0
Kenneth
12/11/2004 4:25:08 PM
Yeah turn off simple file sharing and then you can change the
permissions on the folders.

0
tb2007
12/11/2004 4:51:26 PM
To do that open any folder.
Then click Tools>Folder Options>The tab View> Scroll all the way to the
bottom and uncheck simple file sharing.
Then you can tell who you want to be able to access it.

0
tb2007
12/11/2004 4:56:15 PM
Sorry, I don't understand very well.

I want to share this resource on my laptop with the other 2 desktop users
over the workgroup network.  Do I need to create user accounts on the laptop
(with XP Pro running) for these 2 desktops?  Or, the resource should be
shared automatically with the network setup wizard completed?

"tb2007" <tb2007@gmail.com> wrote in message
> To do that open any folder.
> Then click Tools>Folder Options>The tab View> Scroll all the way to the
> bottom and uncheck simple file sharing.
> Then you can tell who you want to be able to access it.

0
Kenneth
12/12/2004 2:48:29 AM

> Try turning off simple file sharing on all the xp computers.

0
Kenneth
12/13/2004 2:52:44 PM
Ignore the silly wizard as it doesn't appear to help people anyway. Manual
configuration is actually quicker.

You create an account(s) on the XP Pro machine (this assumes simple file
sharing is NOT being used) that is identical in username/password to the
accounts being used on the XP Home machines to access the XP Pro machine.
Blank passwords are a security violation under XP Pro but the article below
explains how to change this.

See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm. It
explains everything in detail.
--
Ross
"Kenneth" <kenwong@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message
> Sorry, I don't understand very well.
>
> I want to share this resource on my laptop with the other 2 desktop users
> over the workgroup network.  Do I need to create user accounts on the
laptop
> (with XP Pro running) for these 2 desktops?  Or, the resource should be
> shared automatically with the network setup wizard completed?
>
> "tb2007" <tb2007@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Try turning off simple file sharing on all the xp computers.

0
Ross
12/14/2004 5:35:22 AM
Thanks, Ross.

Let me explain more about what I want to have.  Basically, I just want
to share folders and files among these 3 PCs over the network as
convenient as possible.  Meaning that I want to be able to access the
shared folders of any of these PCs from the others.

Currently, the two desktop PCs (running Win XP Home) can look into each
other's shared folders.  And, the laptop (running Win XP Pro) can
access the shared folders of both the desktop PCs.  But, the "shared
folders" on the laptop cannot be accessed from any of the two desktops.

Having gone over all the advices you guys posted, this comes to my
mind: Should I ENABLE Simple File Sharing instead for my purpose?  But
I once tried and the problem remained.