Wireless Network problems 495076

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi -
   I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
cardbus adapter for my laptop.
   My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.
   My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
connect.
I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
de-installed it, no difference.
Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
bit - didn't work.
Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
   Thanks for any suggestions!
      Brian

0
Reply Brian 5/29/2004 2:44:09 AM

See related articles to this posting

Brian wrote:

> Hi -

Greetings.

>    I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
> purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
> cardbus adapter for my laptop.
>    My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
> the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.

Unless there's something weird going on with your desktop's network
interface, having to change the speed from 100 to 10 on the router is
troubling.  The router should be working fine, even if your network
interface is only 10.  Routers these days are auto-sensing, so why DLink
said that the speed change was necessary is strange indeed.

>    My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
> different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
> line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
> connect.

This sounds like a defect to me, and I bet it's the router.  The router
needs to be able to send out a decent signal because your wireless
adapters can move to different locations.  If you want to confirm this,
get a wireless adapter for your desktop and see if it also exhibits the
same behavior.  Yes, I know it's another thing to buy, but it will
confirm that it's the router acting up and not your wireless adapters.

> I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
> de-installed it, no difference.

Yep, they were wrong.  I have friend who have successfully used
ZoneAlarm with various routers with no problems.  I have Kerio's
firewall software, and the router has no complaints.

> Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
> bit - didn't work.

Not using 128-bit encryption only reduces your security level, so that's
another goof on Dlink's part.

> Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
> Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
> Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
>    Thanks for any suggestions!
>       Brian

I say return it and try another product.  Based on my experience, avoid
Microsoft's products at all cost.  I actually gave their products a
chance since it was at a good price, and it did work quite well with the
default settings.  As soon as security was applied, it was downhill.
The wireless connections would die, and I could no longer access the
router's configuration except by hooking in a network cable.  After an
hour, I returned their product in exchange for Linksys.  I knew I should
have bought Linksys first.  I can also vouch for SMC's wireless 802.11b
device, and I'm using this with my Linksys wireless router.  Hope this
helps!

--
Jago

0
Reply Jago 6/3/2004 3:36:58 AM
comp.networking.windows 3085 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Network stall/rebuffering problem when playing music over a wireless home network
I have a new iMac and a powerbook (both running OS 10.3.6) connected via a wireless home network. I have told iTunes to share files and I can play songs on the iMac, over the network, on the powerbook in another room. Works fine with small song files, but when I use the Apple Lossless Recorder to record songs onto the iMac (which yields bigger files), I every so often get the message: Network Stalled Rebuffering System, and the music quits while it bebuffers. This happens even when the iMac is plugged into the airport base station and when the icon on the powerbook shows a full strength netwo...

wireless network problem
Hi, I have a cable modem connected to a m0n0wall linux firewall, on the lan side of the m0n0wall i have a hub that connects a windows xp machine, and a cisco 1230 Access Point. Then I connect a powerbook running mac os x via the wireless. The m0n0wall is doing dhcp, and the cisco ap just passes everything through, and makes it look like it is connected to the LAN. Everything was working great until a couple weeks ago. Here is the basic layout in ascii art: "I"<--[cable modem]---[m0n0wall fw]---[hub]--[win xp] | ...

Problems with Wireless Networking
Hi there, I'm currently having problems setting up a wireless network connection between my laptop and PC. All I want to do with this connection is to be able to share files, folders and printers, an internet connection is not necessary. Basically I have setup the wireless adapters on my laptop and PC as Ad-hoc mode and I can get them to connect with one another at an excellent signal strength. I've ran the setup network wizard on Windows XP Pro on both laptop and PC. Now when I open up My Network Places on my laptop and click on 'view workgroup computers' then my laptop will...

Wireless network problems
I have a belkin wireless network for my wife's Mac Book and my Powerbook at home. Sometimes I think our cheeky neighbor is using the network as well. Is there a program where I can see who is using my network? Also, is it possible to send messages to them, or files with the wording Format C:*.* !!! If you get what I mean ! Thanks In article <1161701741.305378.41510@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Mr 1977 <Watnots@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a belkin wireless network for my wife's Mac Book and my > Powerbook at home. Sometimes I think our cheeky neighbor is usin...

wireless networking problem
I have succesfully networked 4 computers. 3 laptops via wireless, and 1 desktop with ethernet. My problem is when i use file sharing I can access wireless to wireless but cannot access any laptop from the desktop nor the desktop from any laptop. Any tips???? Also, I would like to be able to set up the printer that is hooked up to the desktop so that all of the laptops could print from it. Any tips here. I know how to do file sharing and all that but i am not sure if there is something else i need to do. I am using a DLink wireless router and have it plugged into a cable modem. Thank, A ...

WIRELESS NETWORK PROBLEMS
Aaaaaahhh - these networks! My home office network was working fine and now its not - two desktops on LAN and 2 notebooks on wireless with a D Link DI 614+ router supposedly looking after them all. I may have run the Internet connection wizard as I now have an entry called Internet Connection under Internet Gateway on my laptop running Windows XP Home, as well as the Wireless adapter showing under LAN or High Speed Internet heading. Would this be ICS and if I have run that (tried so many fixes) how do I unrun it, if indeed I have to? Hope someone can help Graham On Fri, 18 Jun 20...

Wireless networking problem.
Hello I have recently purchased a ThinkPad T60 (8741HAM) which is preloaded with Windows Vista Business. I can get it connected to my wireless router (Belkin F5D7630au4A) using WEP (128 bit), but would like to connect with a more secure encryption method. The router only supports WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA with RADIUS authentication. I would like to use WPA-PSK but the laptop doesn't seem to support it. I tried using WPA-Personal and WPA-Enterprise but they fail to connect. I have upgraded the firmware in both the laptop and the router. On the Windows Vista Product Overview for IT Professiona...

Wireless network problem
I have 4 machines on a wireless network. Two with win98, one with XP pro and one with XP home. The win98 and XP Pro can see all systems and can map the drives. The XP Home system can't see the XP pro machine so I can't map a drive. Any clues would be appreciated. Deb Are they set to the same workgroup name? "Debbie" <deb750@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:6B4Nb.286$n8.218@be1.texas.rr.com... > I have 4 machines on a wireless network. Two with win98, one with XP pro and > one with XP home. The win98 and XP Pro can see all systems and can map t...

wireless network problems
I have a home wireless setup which until recently worked fine. Then I had to make a few changes for domestic reasons, and all is not well. Hope you can help. The kit was arranged like this: - D-Link wireless router DI 614+, connected to cable modem. Wireless is set to 64-bit WEP encryption, SSID not broadcast. - Dell PC running XP Pro, connected to router by ethernet cable, printer attached. - Toshiba laptop running XP Pro, connecting to router by PC wireless card - Old Gateway PC running Win 98SE, connecting to router by PC wireless card All worked OK, could get to the Interne...

Wireless network problem
I have set up a wireless broadband network on 4 tower pc's and 1 laptop. All hardware including router is "Dynamode". The nics see the router ok from all the systems and internet works fine from tower machines, but the laptop (running WinXP Home) will not connect to internet via I.E unless a tick is put against "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings" in the wireless adaptor properties. With the tick there all works fine. My problem is that each time the laptop is rebooted the tick has vanished and has to be reentered. Any ideas on this will be mo...

Problem with wireless network
I have two linksys pci wireless network cards I have connected to my computers. I installed the drivers, succesfully, create a network called "mapa" the two cards detected the mapa network. Also i'm using my network without access point and i'm configuring in ad hoc mode. I allready give the computers a name and a group. Then i share the folders The problem is that p4 can't see the files of p3 and p3 can't see the files of p4 what could be the problem? Marco A. Castro altaing@att.net.mx On 24 May 2004 09:49:25 -0700, altaing@att.net.mx (...

Wireless networking problems
Using Windows 2k professional, I am trying to install the D-Link 650 wireless LAN card. Using the newest and correct drivers, I installed the drivers in normal mode and it immediately froze up. I tried disabling all unnecessary hardware devices, but the same problem resulted. I finally got the drivers to install using regular safe mode, but now whenever I try to boot into any modes with networking (safe with networking or normal boot), it freezes upon loading. Despite getting the drivers to install in standard safe mode, when I reboot into safe mode again, it claims the drivers are n...

[...]

Belkin Wireless Network Problems
Hi All I am having real snags setting up the following: I have a PC using XP Pro, and a laptop using XP Home (both SP2) that i would like to set up both in a wireless network using the following cards and router/modem I have bought: 1. Belkin 802.11g wireless Notebook Network Card 2. Belkin 802.11g Desktop Network Card 3. Belkin 802.11g ADSL Router/Modem - F57630-4A I connected the router to the mains and the phone line and got the lights I was expecting from the manual. I installed the network cards successfully into both the PC and laptop successfully. From the PC I logged into 192.168.2.1...

Wireless network problems 205900
I have a home network with two desktop computers, a cable modem and a Linksys wired router. I bought a Belkin wireless router (part # F5D7230-4) and a Belkin notebook card (F5D7010) so that I can network my new laptop computer. I installed the Belkin router as an Access Point and connected it to the LinkSys router. I installed the notebook card in the regular way. I have been able to access the shared directories on both desktop machines from the laptop but I have not been able to access the shared directory on the laptop from either machine. I am able to access the laptop when I use a wi...

Belkin Wireless network problems
I have a 10/100 Mb home network with two desktop computers, a cable modem and a Linksys wired router. I bought a Belkin wireless router (part # F5D7230-4) and a Belkin notebook card (F5D7010) so that I can network my new laptop computer. (Both 802.11g) I installed the Belkin router as an Access Point and connected it to the LinkSys router. I installed the notebook card the way the manual said to. I have been able to access the shared directories on both desktop machines from the laptop but I have not been able to access the shared directory on the laptop from either machine. I was able...

Cable and wireless network problem
Hello, here�s my problem, I hope some one can help me. I have 5 computers in my homenetwork. They have a shared internet connection via a Sitecom 8 ports broadband router with DHCP. Everything works well. One of the computers though is a laptop and I�d like to have that one wireless, so I bought a Sweex wireless router. I connected the Sweex wireless router on the Sitecom broadband router via the uplink port in the WAN-port of the wireless router. The browser address to configure the Sitecom router is 192.168.62.1. I gave the laptop a fixed IP-address (192.168.62.2) so no tw...

Wireless Network Problems #3
I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell Dimension 8200 running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000 running WinXP Home Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a D-Link DI-624 Router and to a DSL connection. The desktop is only using WinXP firewall and the notebook WinXp and McAfee firewall. The notebook is able to see and access all folders on the desktop with no problems. The desktop is able to see the notebook but not able to access any folders. It keeps coming back with an error, unable to find path, unauthorized, etc. I hav...

ral wireless networking problem
I've just installed 6.0_rc1 in order to get wireless support for an rt2500 chipset wireless card (m'facturer sweex). It nearly works, but not quite, as no packets seem to be sent out to the wireless network. The WAP is connected to a hub (not switch!) which also hosts a wired-up fbsd machine from which I can monitor traffic. The card appears to be up, running and associated with the WAP according to ifconfig. tcpdump on the wireless machine shows traffic coming in from the wireless network. If from the w'less m/c I ping another machine on the subnet, it shows ar...

wireless network problem #2
I digitally record video off TV as .mpg files with ATI All-In-Wonder. Then I edit out the commercials with TMPGenc and save the edit as an .mpg file. I make those edited files available on a shared folder for the computers on my home network. The PCs connected via "wire" can play ALL the files. When I use a LinkSys 802.11"b" wireless access point, all the computers that connect wirelessly can play the edited files too. BUT -- when I switch to a LinkSys 802.11"g" wireless access point (placed in the same location, connected through the same port of the...

wireless network problem #3
I have a home network setup under XP. It is connected to a Linksys wireless G router. When I have my notebook pluged into to the router via a cord, I am able to access all my network's files and printers. However, when I attempt to access network files and printers via the wirelss mode, I cannot get to my network. I am however, able to get a wireless internet connection- so I know it is interacting with the router. Any suggestions? Please email myles.gartland@rockhurst.edu ...