Wireless Network problems 495076

Hi -
   I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
cardbus adapter for my laptop.
   My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.
   My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
connect.
I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
de-installed it, no difference.
Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
bit - didn't work.
Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
   Thanks for any suggestions!
      Brian

0
Brian
5/29/2004 2:44:09 AM
comp.networking.windows 3087 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

Brian wrote:

> Hi -

Greetings.

>    I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
> purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
> cardbus adapter for my laptop.
>    My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
> the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.

Unless there's something weird going on with your desktop's network
interface, having to change the speed from 100 to 10 on the router is
troubling.  The router should be working fine, even if your network
interface is only 10.  Routers these days are auto-sensing, so why DLink
said that the speed change was necessary is strange indeed.

>    My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
> different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
> line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
> connect.

This sounds like a defect to me, and I bet it's the router.  The router
needs to be able to send out a decent signal because your wireless
adapters can move to different locations.  If you want to confirm this,
get a wireless adapter for your desktop and see if it also exhibits the
same behavior.  Yes, I know it's another thing to buy, but it will
confirm that it's the router acting up and not your wireless adapters.

> I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
> de-installed it, no difference.

Yep, they were wrong.  I have friend who have successfully used
ZoneAlarm with various routers with no problems.  I have Kerio's
firewall software, and the router has no complaints.

> Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
> bit - didn't work.

Not using 128-bit encryption only reduces your security level, so that's
another goof on Dlink's part.

> Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
> Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
> Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
>    Thanks for any suggestions!
>       Brian

I say return it and try another product.  Based on my experience, avoid
Microsoft's products at all cost.  I actually gave their products a
chance since it was at a good price, and it did work quite well with the
default settings.  As soon as security was applied, it was downhill.
The wireless connections would die, and I could no longer access the
router's configuration except by hooking in a network cable.  After an
hour, I returned their product in exchange for Linksys.  I knew I should
have bought Linksys first.  I can also vouch for SMC's wireless 802.11b
device, and I'm using this with my Linksys wireless router.  Hope this
helps!

--
Jago

0
Jago

Network Broadcast (net send)
I work on a network with over 5000 workstations and sometimes need to broadcast a message to all users logged on. I currently have a program that was home-made by someone who is now long gone. All this program does is create a "net send" to every v-lan on the network. We know how to use it and know how to manually add the v-lans in the db; however, my boss wanted something "professional" and maybe even from a company that provides support. Is there software out there that does that? Software that sends a small pop-up to every computer on the network. Thanks, ...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041043593447%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if > anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. > I haven&...

a backreference problem?
Hello, I can use $string =~ /="(.*)"\.doc/; print $1; which will get "docs/path/word" from <a href="docs/path/word.doc">link to word doc</a> (A) But! What if I have a file with say 100 lines similar to A above? How do I deal with multiple values of $1? Cheers Geoff Geoff Cox <geoff.cox@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I can use > > $string =~ /="(.*)"\.doc/; > print $1; Yes, but you shouldn't. You should never use the dollar-digit variables unless you have first ensured that the match _succeeded_. if ( $str...

US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Problem Solving, Dealing with Ambiguity; 8M (45318057604)
US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, Problem Solving, Dealing with Ambiguity; 8M (45318057604) ======================================================================================== Position: Project Manager Reference: MKL00813 Location: Austin TX Duration: 8M Skills: Problem Solving Dealing with Ambiguity Drive for Results Intellectual Horsepower Integrity and Trust Communication Skills Teamwork Flexibility Managing Direct Reports Ma...

File Conversion Problem
A colleague has a file that is supposed to be an ordinary fortran source code file as produced by edit/edt with variable line length. However at some point in the past the file has been put through some sort of archiving process that has brought it back as 512 byte fixed length records with CR LF characters within the 512 byte records. Using Convert/FDL I can convert the file to variable length with line breaks in place of each CR LF, but the line breaks at 512 byte intervals are preserved leading to odd breaks in lines. Any ideas how to fix the file? Tim From: "Tim ffrench-Lynch&quo...

I can't seem to get (EASports Formula1) to network play
hope im ok to post this in here. I can't seem to get (EASports Formula1 2002) to network play anyone got any help on setting f1 to network? Both computers have Win XP and wireless pci card's and they are set to connect peer to peer, Most my games work fine when i network play but f1 cant seem to fined the network. TIA ...

wireless device driver
looking for help in writing device driver for wireless pci card. also have a usb wireless device. i am using ws7350 w/a belkin usb 1.1 card. looking for any help; can't find any drivers on the web ...

filter problem #2
I have a comcast.net e-mail address and another (let's call it college.edu) e-mail address. I frequently get spam addressed to people who aren't me but at comcast.net, as in joeblow@comcast.net. I tried to set up a filter that would trash any messages that do not contain myname@comcast.net OR myname@college.edu, but EVERYTHING ended up going into the trash, even things that were addressed to me. Can someone help? THANKS! <wisekaren@comcast.net> wrote: > I have a comcast.net e-mail address and another (let's call it > college.edu) e-mail address. I frequent...

Random network choppyness
Hi, At work I have a 1GHz Pentium 3, with 384M of memory running SuSE 8.2 with the SuSE 2.4.20 kernel. This system is running the following services :- Mailserver (exim) MySQL Apache (mainly running a couple of low use php-MySQL databases) DNS (for our subdomain of the university network) DHCP (for up to about 400 devices, but with a long lease time). SSH IMAP However when I'm connected to this machine via SSH, I experience frequent but seemingly random lagyness in this connection, i.e. there will be a delay of several seconds between typing something and the output appearing. I don&...

shared_ptr problems
I wasn't around at design time, but I get to fix the problem...story of my = life! I know about boost::weak_ptr and would use that if the problem was limited = to=20 classes A and B, but C has a public accessor that gives away shared_ptrs to= As and I don't know what to do there. I was thinking of trying to guarentee that Bs and Cs are only created by As= and seeing if the compiler complained or not (unknown code base). If I can= guarentee that Bs and Cs are only created by and used by As, then I can sa= fely use weak_ptrs...I think. I could do that by hiding constructo...

network adapter settings
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to check the settings on the network interface. I would like to know things like the speed, full or half duplex etc. Many thanks. In article <Lp1zf.219131$V7.178181@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Mike Ingram" <mjingram@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can anyone tell me how to check the settings on the network interface. > I would like to know things like the speed, full or half duplex etc. > > Many thanks. ifconfig hwmgr get attr -cat network lan_config Try: http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs...

problem with the cell of the table
hi, I am having a table and i want that each cell should not change the width and accommodate max num of char. like text-overflow : ellipsis; overflow : hidden do for a div tag but this didn't work for td tag and i can't put div in each cell. so is there any substitute for the 'text- overflow : ellipsis' for td Thanks Garg Garg said the following on 11/23/2007 12:32 AM: > hi, > > I am having a table and i want that each cell should not change the > width and accommodate max num of char. like text-overflow : ellipsis; > overflow : hidden do for a div tag but t...

Wires to Wireless
I would like to know if cat-5 wires or any other types of cable is better than wireless, or wireless is better than cable? Which one will cost more, be more reliable to a network? Each method (wired vs. wireless) has got its own advantages/disadvantages so it's not possible to say which is better than the other - they serve quite different purposes. Generally speaking, wired networks are more reliable, and they certainly operate faster. Using standard CAT-5 cabling you could get up to 1000 bits per second providing you have gigabit ethernet equipment to hand - but more co...

Propeller Clock Problem
Hey guys! I am really impressed by the propeller clock built by Bob Click. It is truly amazing. I am trying to build one myself. However, instead of supplying the microcontroller with power from the motor, i am using a small 9V battery with a LM7805 regulator that I can easily be plugged on the board of the controller. I know the period of the motor (it is fixed) .... however, I need to modify the code. How is the code changed???? I am using a PIC 16F84A controller instead of the PIC 16C84 controller. I made the necessary changes in the mclock3t.asm code of Bob Blick when it comes to compatiba...

D-Link DWL-G510 Rev C Wireless Client Adapter Drivers
These cards have been released in revisions A, B and C, all using different hardware configurations and requiring different drivers. D-Link in NZ and elsewhere is now shipping the card in Rev C, while shipping a CD with only Rev B drivers that will not install. D-Link's international website provides only drivers for Rev A and B boards. However, Rev C drivers for Windows and other files can be downloaded from ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DWL-G510/REV_C/ ...

Newbie: pywin problem
Here's a transcript: >>> import win32ui >>> template = pywin.mfc.docview.DocTemplate(None) >>> doc = pywin.scintilla.document.CScintillaDocument(template) >>> view = pywin.scintilla.view.CScintillaView(doc) >>> fr = win32ui.GetMainFrame() >>> view.CreateWindow(fr) Now how do I get the window to display? I thought the call to CreateWindow would do it, but the window just gets created silently. martin Martin DeMello: > >>> template = pywin.mfc.docview.DocTemplate(None) > >>> doc = pywin.scintilla.document.CSci...

Maverick Wireless Corporation Launches City-Wide Wireless Services
Maverick Wireless Corporation Successfully Launches City-Wide Wireless Broadband Services Maverick Wireless Proves Its CITYWIDE WiFi(TM) Services Are the Answer to Rural America's Broadband Needs BOTHELL, Wash/EWORLDWIRE/Jan. 9, 2004 --- Maverick Wireless Corporation today announced the successful launch of its CITYWIDE WiFi(TM) services in Benton County, Washington. It is the first community in the United States to enjoy what Maverick Wireless proclaims will be commonplace throughout the nation. "Recent technological advances and the international adoption of wireless...

model sim problem
All, I can simulate my design just fine if I simulate the behavioral model. When I try to simulate anything else (mapped, placed and routed, etc...), I get an error saying that a generic is not part of the entity. It obviously is, though, because it compiles and synthesizes just fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Adam You may have generics in your original entity, but probably not in the synthesized version. (At least, that's how it is for Synopsys DC. Other tools may have a difference behavior.) Your synthesized version declares a new entity that does not have generics. In general, it's o...

Problems with pointers
In the below code I try to initialize the first 5 elements in an array to 27: typedef int list[10]; void bob(list * p) { int i; for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) { p[i] = 27; } } int main() { list pop; bob(&pop); int y; for (y = 0; y < 5; y++) { printf("pop[%d] = %d\n",y,pop[y]); } return 0; } But it only prints: pop[0] = 27 pop[1] = 0 pop[2] = 0 pop[3] = 0 pop[4] = 0 What am I missing? Johs wrote: > In the below code I try to initialize the first 5 elements in an array > to 27: > typedef int list[10]; > > void bob(list *...

Re: Network Logging #2
> ********************************************************************** > * FRI, FEB 25, 2005, 12:12:10.3 PM NETIPC(5) * > *--------------------------------------------------------------------* > * Event : Socket closed * > * Class : Informative logging * > * PIN : 555 Job/Session # : 5 * > * User name : MGR Account name : MINISOFT * > * Socket Type : Connection Socket Protocol :...

Rename Problem
I am trying to rename an array component, but no luck. Is this possible or am I just doing something wrong? TYPE message_array IS ARRAY (index) OF signals_record; msg : message_array; PACKAGE m1 IS NEW transmit_message (id, type); msg (1) : signals RENAMES m1.signals_record; Anthony On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 08:17 -0800, Ant wrote: > I am trying to rename an array component, but no luck. Is this > possible or am I just doing something wrong? > > > TYPE message_array IS ARRAY (index) OF signals_record; > msg : message_array; > > PACKAGE m1 IS NEW transmit_message ...

Problem with the debug window
Hello all, An app is causing a strange and annoying problem: the debug window is always maximized and has lost its close/restore/minimize buttons, no matter if I start the app via the debugger or selet "debug" when an error occurs. Other apps in the same project and in other projects don't cause this problem. Any help is welcome. TIA, Marcos Nogueira S. Paulo - Brazil ...

The number of Network Adapters(NIC)
Hi all: Now my OS is CentOS which is newly installed, and i want to know the number of the NICs in my computer and set the IPs one by one. Can i just use the only one commod: dmesg | grep eth[0-9] | grep "allocating" or anything else? Can someone help me? On 22 Sep 2006 20:34:30 -0700, xutom2006@gmail.com <xutom2006@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all: > Now my OS is CentOS which is newly installed, and i want to know > the number of the NICs in my computer and set the IPs one by one. Can i > just use the only one commod: dmesg | grep eth[0-9] | grep "alloc...

can't get network to work
I finally bit the bullet and tried to set up a network between my laptop and my pc. XP pro on tower, XP home on laptop. I followed the setup wifi home network wizard's advice and used a USB flash drive. I ran the wizard on the tower, and transferred the settings to the laptop. That's as far as I got. The laptop can't see the PC and the PC can't see the laptop. The troube shooting guide had me changing this name, and that name, so now I don't know what anything's name is anymore. Except my own, and I'm not completly sure of that either. ;) Is there any step by ...