Wireless Network problems 495076

Hi -
   I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
cardbus adapter for my laptop.
   My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.
   My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
connect.
I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
de-installed it, no difference.
Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
bit - didn't work.
Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
   Thanks for any suggestions!
      Brian

0
Brian
5/29/2004 2:44:09 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

Brian wrote:

> Hi -

Greetings.

>    I am trying to get a 802.11g wireless setup working in my house.  I have
> purchased a DLink DI-524 wireless router, and a DLink DWL-G630 wireless
> cardbus adapter for my laptop.
>    My desktop (hardwired) is now working fine, though DLink told me to drop
> the speed from 100 to 10 to get it working.

Unless there's something weird going on with your desktop's network
interface, having to change the speed from 100 to 10 on the router is
troubling.  The router should be working fine, even if your network
interface is only 10.  Routers these days are auto-sensing, so why DLink
said that the speed change was necessary is strange indeed.

>    My laptop is driving me nuts - have been on the phone several times,
> different answer each time, no solution.  I can only get it to connect with
> line of site to the router, and have to reset the router each time to
> connect.

This sounds like a defect to me, and I bet it's the router.  The router
needs to be able to send out a decent signal because your wireless
adapters can move to different locations.  If you want to confirm this,
get a wireless adapter for your desktop and see if it also exhibits the
same behavior.  Yes, I know it's another thing to buy, but it will
confirm that it's the router acting up and not your wireless adapters.

> I was told that ZoneAlarm was the problem, and I couldn't run with that -
> de-installed it, no difference.

Yep, they were wrong.  I have friend who have successfully used
ZoneAlarm with various routers with no problems.  I have Kerio's
firewall software, and the router has no complaints.

> Next, I was told I shouldn't use 128 bit encryption - so I dropped to 64
> bit - didn't work.

Not using 128-bit encryption only reduces your security level, so that's
another goof on Dlink's part.

> Next, update the firmware on the router (already have current version).
> Has anyone been able to get this stuff working, farther than 20 feet?
> Should I return the stuff and buy something else?
>    Thanks for any suggestions!
>       Brian

I say return it and try another product.  Based on my experience, avoid
Microsoft's products at all cost.  I actually gave their products a
chance since it was at a good price, and it did work quite well with the
default settings.  As soon as security was applied, it was downhill.
The wireless connections would die, and I could no longer access the
router's configuration except by hooking in a network cable.  After an
hour, I returned their product in exchange for Linksys.  I knew I should
have bought Linksys first.  I can also vouch for SMC's wireless 802.11b
device, and I'm using this with my Linksys wireless router.  Hope this
helps!

--
Jago

0