Can't see computer hardwired to router, can see wireless computers

I have a network with one desktop, two laptops, and d-link di-624
router. Desktop (98se) is hardwired to router. One laptop (98 se) has
d-link dwl g650 adapter. Other laptop (xp-home) has built-in Atheros
adapter.

All three do internet just fine.

Laptops can see each other just fine. Laptop with d-link adapter and
desktop can see each other fine.

Problems are with laptop with xp (built-in Atheros) and desktop.
Laptop doesn't see desktop at all nor the printer attached to it. I'm
getting a message at that machine saying network cable not connected.
Desktop sees laptop in network neighborhood but can't share files. Get
an error message about laptop not being available when I try to
connect to it from desktop.

Thanks for any suggestions.
0
latichever
7/18/2004 1:15:02 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.networking 1761 articles. 1 followers. thegezza (2) is leader. Post Follow

Computer can't see home LAN but can see internet fine
Just installed a home wireless network. Netgear wireless 108mbps. (replaced an older 802.11b network) 1) Base PC with router 2) Laptop with PC card 3) Boys' computer with PC adapter All see web fine. Laptop and Base PC see each other's files just fine. However, the boys' computer can't access the Lan I established. Been so long now I can't remember all of the setting I need to check to authorize access. Help! Thanks in advance! AFJ Does the boys' computer have a firewall enabled? Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc. "Air Force Jayhawk&quo...

computers can and can't see each other
I have a home network that accesses the interent via a Linksys wireless router. The two computers I'm concerned with have wired connections to the router. The IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the router (which has a dhcp server). One computer is an XP Pro system, the other an XP Home system. On the XP Pro system, I can ping the XP Home system, but I can't ping the XP Pro box from the XP Home box. Both systems can successfully ping the router. I ran ipconfig /all. The primary difference I noticed was that the Node Type for the XP Pro system is "...

computers can and can't see each other
I have a home network that accesses the interent via a Linksys wireless router. The two computers I'm concerned with have wired connections to the router. The IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the router (which has a dhcp server). One computer is an XP Pro system, the other an XP Home system. On the XP Pro system, I can ping the XP Home system, but I can't ping the XP Pro box from the XP Home box. Both systems can successfully ping the router. I ran ipconfig /all. The primary difference I noticed was that the Node Type for the XP Pro system is "Hybrid." ...

computers can and can't see each other
I have a home network that accesses the interent via a Linksys wireless router. The two computers I'm concerned with have wired connections to the router. The IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the router (which has a dhcp server). One computer is an XP Pro system, the other an XP Home system. On the XP Pro system, I can ping the XP Home system, but I can't ping the XP Pro box from the XP Home box. Both systems can successfully ping the router. I ran ipconfig /all. The primary difference I noticed was that the Node Type for the XP Pro system is "Hybrid." ...

2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer
I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's, next door. I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home. Both computers are reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well. Both have fairly recent D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of the time working well. Recently, a very odd problem has popped up. My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular folder. The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few weeks. Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft, this ...

2nd network computer can't see 100% of files in certain folders on 1st computer
I have a 2-station wireless network between my office and my secretary's, next door. I have an XP Pro machine; she has XP Home. Both computers are reasonably up-to-date and otherwise working well. Both have fairly recent D-link hardware. I have had the wireless network for over a year, most of the time working well. Recently, a very odd problem has popped up. My secretary's computer sometimes cannot see all the files in a particular folder. The problem has shown up in several folders during the past few weeks. Since her job is to finalize and prints documents that I draft, this ...

Wireless Router Sees Client, But Client Can't See Router
I am trying to set up a small office network for a client involving a D-Link wireless router, a desktop with Ethernet, and a laptop with wireless NIC. The desktop can see the router (ping it, get into its web config screens, etc.) and the router is assigning the correct IP info via DHCP (192.168.0.100). The problem is the wireless laptop. The laptop is running XP, and XP is telling me that it sees a wireless network and is connected to it. The wireless network connection is enabled, and is automatically getting its IP info set automatically via DHCP from the router (192.168.0.102...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in locat...

XP Home Network
I just got a new notebook and am having network troubles, getting the "MSHOME is not accessible..." when trying to view the network. I will call the computers 600M, 5100, desktop1 and desktop2 for simplicity's sake, with 600M being my new computer. 1. We're using a Belkin 802.11b wireless router as a hub between the computers and the cable modem. 2. All PC's have Windows XP Home on them, SP2 installed on all 3. I have WEP enabled. I AM able to connect to the Internet with 600M 4. I am not able to see any of the other networked computers with 600M, however 5. All the othe...

XP Home Network
I just got a new notebook and am having network troubles, getting the "MSHOME is not accessible..." when trying to view the network. I will call the computers 600M, 5100, desktop1 and desktop2 for simplicity's sake, with 600M being my new computer. 1. We're using a Belkin 802.11b wireless router as a hub between the computers and the cable modem. 2. All PC's have Windows XP Home on them, SP2 installed on all 3. I have WEP enabled. I AM able to connect to the Internet with 600M 4. I am not able to see any of the other networked computers with 600M, however 5. All the othe...

my computers can't see each other on network
Hi- Having a bit of trouble getting my computers to talk. I have one box running 2003 server, other xp pro. I can't get them to see each other-they are showing the same ip(firewall and router), and the nics are functioning. I have tried the methods of adding network places in my 2003 book, but the path name is not found \\computername\share isn't working. Anyone? Thanx Mucho ...

Can't see other computer on network
Hi, I have a home network of two computers, both running Windows XP. When I have both computers on, a "Local Area Connection" exists i.e. the little icon with two computers appears in the desktray. The problem is that I do not see anything in "Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/Mshome". The thing is, though, that it used to work! Up until about 3 weeks ago it was working and now I can never actually see the other computer on my network and it can't access the Internet though my shared Internet connection. Does anyone have any advice or tools/command th...

I can share internet but computers can't see each other
I have two XP machines, a laptop and desktop, I can share an internet connection using a D-Link wireless broadband router, but when I try to share a printer or files, the PC's cannot see each other. I've enabled sharing on everything on both machines. I ran the IP address from the start menu (\\192.168.0.101) and it does not good. My wife needs to print her work out and she's getting frustrated at me and my lack of networking skills. Help! Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup, but have different names. Right click on "My Computer" and select &quo...

my computers can't see each other on network
Hi- Having a bit of trouble getting my computers to talk. I have one box running 2003 server, other xp pro. I can't get them to see each other-they are showing the same ip(firewall and router), and the nics are functioning. I have tried the methods of adding network places in my 2003 book, but the path name is not found \\computername\share isn't working. Anyone? Thanx Mucho ...

Web resources about - Can't see computer hardwired to router, can see wireless computers - comp.os.ms-windows.networking