setup a home network with win-xp laptop and win 2K desktop

hi,
i have a windows-XP laptop and a windows-2000 desktop both connected to
internet through a belkin router. can anyone tell me how to setup these
computers onto a local network and access the files of each computer
from the other???

- i did put both computers onto same workname
- desktop is able to see the laptop but is not able to connect to it
- laptop is not even seeing anything, it complains abt not having
permissions to connect to that workname

ur help is appreciated

thanks

0
ganeshsaripalli
3/5/2005 2:09:30 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.networking 1761 articles. 1 followers. thegezza (2) is leader. Post Follow

Go into Network properties -> TCPIP -> Advanced -> WINS and enable
NetBios over TCPIP.

Make sure that both workstations have the a common User/Password
created. Use that User/Password to logon.

--

===========================
= www.oyamaphotogrphy.com =

Win XP and Win 2k home network
Hi All, I have set up a home network with a Win XP laptop and a Win 2k desktop using a linksys wireless router which also allows both to use my DSL connection. I have set up a couple of shared folders on my Win 2k computer and a couple on my Win XP computer (after assigning both to the same workgroup) ... I noticed that if I try to access my Win 2k folders from my Win XP computer, I get a prompt for a username and password ... I do not when I try to access my Win XP folders from my Win 2k computer. Can anyone explain? Also, I noticed that my c: and d: drive are being shared on my W...

Win XP Pro and Win XP home networking
Hi, I am new to networking. I have 2 machines one is Win XP Prof (WXP) other is Win XP home (WXH). The 2 machines are connected using cross over cable. I am trying to enable file sharing between the two machines. Some problems that I have encountered is 1) Both machines can ping thenselves but cannot ping the other machine it results in Request Time Out. 2) I have set up VNC viewer on both the machines and I am able to connect to that from the other machine and that works fine. I mean if VNC server is running on WXP, WXH can access it and vice-versa. I have made the users etc...

Networking Win 2K Pro to Win XP Pro
I have two computers in my home office, 1 running Windows XP Pro and the other running Windows 2000 Professional. They are both hooked up to a Netgear router to access the broadband connection. I want the two to now share files as well as a printer attached to the XP computer. I've set them both to the same workgroup name and shared the drive on the computers, but they don't seem to be able to see each other. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Russ Askea askear@yahoo.com On 25 Jan 2004 14:32:49 -0800, askear@yahoo.com (Russ) wrote: >I have two computers in my home...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Network Help
I have a wireless router with two computers connected - one via hardwire (using windows 2000) and another via wireless (using XP). I have tried every configuration I can and can not get the two to find one another. I want the two machines to share files and the printer on the hard wired computer. Any help is appreciated - thank you ...

how to network win 98 and win xp
Hi there , what do I need to do to connect on a network a laptop with win98se and a desktop with winxphe . Thanks , Paky ...

Network Win 2000 and Win XP
I have Win 2K running on my desktop which is connected to my ISP and XP on my laptop that I take on the road. Is there a link that shows the step by step procedures to network two disimilar OS such as this? Tkx On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:01:33 +0100, "Disco" <plperry@skynet.be> wrote: >I have Win 2K running on my desktop which is connected to my ISP and XP on >my laptop that I take on the road. Is there a link that shows the step by >step procedures to network two disimilar OS such as this? > >Tkx > > What problems are you having? I ha...

Windows XP and Win 2K Network = Issues? No ping & dropouts!!!
I have three computers connected in a workgroup behind my Linksys cable modem router. 1. Win XP Pro name: home 2. Win 2K Pro name: cpqserver 3. Win 2K Pro name: scully The problem I have is that when only machine 1 and 3 are running everything is fine...they can ping each other and access each other's shares as expected. As soon as I boot up machine 2 (new server I acquired) it seems like everything goes downhill. Machine 2 cannot ping machine 1...it gets the "unknown host" error message. If machine 3 is playing an MP3 that's located on...

Win XP Pro, Win 98SE Network
I have just setup a small wired/wireless network consisting of: 1. Dimension 8300 desktop with win xp pro thru a WIRED connection to a Belkin wireless router. 2. Inspiron 7500 with win98se thru a WIRELESS connection via a Belkin wireless pc card. 3. An HP 7130 All-in one thru a WIRED connection to the router. By and large it appears to work "reasonably" well, however a couple of annoyances are present: 1. I have file sharing enabled on both machines. The desktop has no problem seeing/accessing the files on I7500. However, the only consistent way I can see the...

Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98
Hello, In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two computers work on the same *.dbf tables. I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and server are on Win98. There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server, and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution??? Has anyone met this problem??? How did You solve it?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Andrzej Maybe a read of this article could help http://www.witze...

Network hp7960 printer Win xp to Win ME?
Printer installs ok on the win xp PC. When trying to network with the laptop running ME, the laptop sees the printer on the networked PC, and thens asks for the cd disk. However, this is where the problem begins. When following the install steps, it cannot find certain files on the install disk, nor will it use the installed files from the xp computer. I've installed this printer on an xp pc and an xp laptop. It just will not install as a networked printer between the laptop running win ME and the PC running xp. I did find step by step procedures on the following web site, but even t...

Web resources about - setup a home network with win-xp laptop and win 2K desktop - comp.os.ms-windows.networking

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

Paul DOBSON - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Columns (incl. Anime News Nina! , ANNtv , ANNCast , Answerman , Astro Toy , Brain Diving , Buried Treasure , Chicks On Anime , Crashing Japan ...

Google tells the FCC its secret airborne network is nothing to worry about
(credit: Google ) In an FCC filing , Google has told the US government that it believes its secret airborne network won't interfere with any ...

Netflix admits its viewers think of 'Breaking Bad' as a Netflix experience — and that should scare TV ...
... be a great idea. There are a few reasons for this, but a big one is that the way Netflix's presents content can sever the tie between a network ...

Electric Car Buyers Hugely Attracted To Tesla Supercharger Network
... of the range coin is charging. With inductive, wireless charging [&hellip Electric Car Buyers Hugely Attracted To Tesla Supercharger Network ...

IDG Contributor Network: In the retail battle of the drones, Google's the pragmatist, but Amazon's the ...
In the retail battle of the drones, who would have guessed that Google would be more practical than Amazon? Of course, in the universe of retail ...

Brokerages Set MSG Networks (NASDAQ:MSGN) PT at $23.22
Shares of MSG Networks (NASDAQ:MSGN) have earned an average rating of “Hold” from the ten analysts that are covering the company, Market Beat ...

Trump Wins Network TV Coverage By Almost Three Times After Skipping Debate
Trump Wins Network TV Coverage By Almost Three Times After Skipping Debate

‘Justice League Action’: Cartoon Network Confirms DC Comics-Based Series
Cartoon Network has officially greenlighted Justice League Action , a new animated series from Warner Bros. Animation, comprised of 11-minute ...