win ME and XP network problems

Hey,

I have made networks before, but currently i am having problems.

I have a ME laptop and an XP desktop, and i cant get them to talk.  I am
running CAT 5 through a hub - all the pritty lights flash.

I have TCPIP and NetBuei(or whatever) installed.  I have tried putting in my
own IP`s and choosing its own.

The furthest i have got, is that the laptop can see the desktop (brings up
name) - but cannot access it! The Desktop cant see anything!!!

Any ideas?? - anything i could be stupidly doing.

Regards

Dan

0
Daniel
7/9/2003 9:03:02 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.networking 1761 articles. 1 followers. thegezza (2) is leader. Post Follow

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem
Hi, I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines. Everything appears to be working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use. Previously I had the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine. I recently replaced the Win 98 machine w/ a Win XP machine. Although the two XP machines can talk to each other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client computer name the ping fails. If I use the IP address the ping succeeds. Also I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear when I look at My Network Places ...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98
Hello, In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two computers work on the same *.dbf tables. I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and server are on Win98. There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server, and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution??? Has anyone met this problem??? How did You solve it?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Andrzej Maybe a read of this article could help http://www.witze...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com ...

Networking RISC PC to Windows XP Network
Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions to enable me to network my Acorn RISC PC running RISCOS 4.02 to a Windows XP network. I want to transfer files between both machines. I would also like to connect my Acorn thru this network to my Broadband Internet. On the RISC PC I have SmbServer 0.07 installed but not set up along with LanMan98. Is it possible to do all these things and can a rather slow person configure the machines to work? John Ealey John Ealey wrote: > Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions ...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

Win XP network problems
I have two comps (one PC, one notebook)connected through a Linksys router then through a cable modem to my ISP. Both computers run XP (NOT SP2). I am trying to use the PC to set up a small home network using the networking wizard. After I go through all the screens and finish, I go into Start-Control Panel-Networking Connections-My Network Places-View workgroup computers. I select that option and after a minute or so I get an error dialog box saying the workgroup is not accessible. Contact SysAdmin...BLAH..BLAH. Of course none of the shared resources are avaiable from the other computer....

Windows XP Networking problems
Hi, I bought a SpaceCube and tried to set up a network with my RISPC Kinetic 4.03 through an 8 port 10/100M fast internet switch. After a lot of tweaking, I got the system and Tight VNC working. However, somehow I screwed it up and now, I can send files to MyDocs, C etc, on the SpaceCube. I can rename and delete them from RISC OS, but I cannot bring files back to the RISC PC or read them on the RISC PC side - I receive a timeout error. Also, Tight VNC freezes with a black window. I have wallpaper disabled on the Windows side. I am using Omniclient and can open C, MyDocs and Shared...

Windows XP networking problem??
Hello, I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot even see the printer in the shared resources. However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make the computers talk to each other? Thanks, Anand. www.careyholzman.co...

Windows XP networking problem??
Hello, I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot even see the printer in the shared resources. However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make the computers talk to each other? Thanks, Anand. www.careyholzman.co...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all...

Web resources about - win ME and XP network problems - comp.os.ms-windows.networking

The problems plaguing Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential bid
IT is the question every politician hates. A curly one that none of them want to answer. The T question. What about trust?

Lance Franklin will never 'truly recover' from mental health problems, says Jesinta Campbell
Jesinta Campbell, the fiancé of Sydney Swans star Lance 'Buddy' Franklin, believes her partner will never "truly recover" from ...

Microsoft is still working to fix Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 power management problems
Surface devices have been in the news for all the wrong reasons recently. As well as false accusations of Surface tablet causing problems at ...

Microsoft's underwater data center could solve some of the cloud's biggest problems
Microsoft may have found a solution for some of the cloud computing industry’s biggest problems by moving its clouds under the sea. The Redmond ...

Ebony Editor: GOP Candidates Have No Problem Putting All ‘Brown People Out’
Ebony Editor: GOP Candidates Have No Problem Putting All 'Brown People Out'

January 2016: Unofficial Problem Bank list declines to 238 Institutions
This is an unofficial list of Problem Banks compiled only from public sources. Here is the unofficial problem bank list for January 2016. Changes ...

Problems with Chicago PD dashcams raise suspicion - Videos - CBS News
CBS News has learned that Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke, charged with murdering a black teenager, may ask that his trial be moved out ...

Trump: Ted Cruz has a 'Canada problem'
In an interview with Paul Steinhauser of NH1, Donald Trump has said that Ted Cruz has a huge problem in relation to his Canadian heritage.

Kasich’s Ohio Has Its Own Problems With Lead In Drinking Water
Kasich’s Ohio Has Its Own Problems With Lead In Drinking Water