Windows XP and Win 2K Network = Issues? No ping & dropouts!!!

I have three computers connected in a workgroup behind my Linksys cable
modem router.
     1.  Win XP Pro name: home
     2.  Win 2K Pro name: cpqserver
     3.  Win 2K Pro name: scully

The problem I have is that when only machine 1 and 3 are running
everything is fine...they can ping each other and access each other's
shares as expected.  As soon as I boot up machine 2 (new server I
acquired) it seems like everything goes downhill.  Machine 2 cannot ping
machine 1...it gets the  "unknown host" error message.  If machine 3 is
playing an MP3 that's located on machine 1's shared directory, shortly
after booting machine 2 the song begins to drop out.

I thought it was the network card on machine 2 so I replaced it and the
problem remains.  I swapped ports on the Linksys BEFRS41 router and it
had no effect.  I do "ipconfig /all" on each machine and they all have
correct ip addresses (192.168.1.xxx) and the proper gateway
(192.168.1.1), dhcp server, and dns server.  I downloaded microsoft KB
188305 to diagnose my network neighbourhood errors but I do not have
browstat.exe.

ANY help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know what
to check anymore.

Thank You!
0
wp
8/21/2004 3:55:12 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.networking 1761 articles. 1 followers. thegezza (2) is leader. Post Follow

Networking Windows 2K and XP
Here's a posting from a friend having problems setting up a Windows XP computer to share a Windows 2K network. <begin friend's quote> "At work, I've set up a brand new machine with XP, and now need to copy my files, etc to it from the old one. Our office is set up with a Win2K server plus 2 other machines besides mine. (so 4 in total) I can't seem to be able to get the network to work on any of the machines, to see my machine or mine to see them... I have now turned off the Firewall on the XP machine, its in the same workgroup as the others, I gave mys...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all...

Networking Windows 7 with Windows XP
My Windows 7 and Windows XP computers can't talk to each other. They have = the same workgroup and are in the same subnet. Windows 7 can ping XP by IP= address but not by hostname. Windows XP can't ping Windows 7 by IP addres= s or host name. They were talking to each other until I restored the XP co= mputer from a backup, so I don't think the issue is with Windows 7. Any id= eas? ...

Networking with windows network
Hi, have two different machines connected to windows network. The OS/2 machines are essentially identical. I have installed fixpax 15, WR_8423, WR_8425, and IP_8414. I have settings for ibmlan.ini and protocol.ini the same on both machines. Both machines have a folder shared with the same permissions. When I connect to machine1 via the windows network, I am prompted to enter user name and password - which I do and all works fine. When I connect to Machine2 I get no prompt for username and password and a lt of times I get the blasted too many connections error. Where else can I look to...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

Networking RISC PC to Windows XP Network
Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions to enable me to network my Acorn RISC PC running RISCOS 4.02 to a Windows XP network. I want to transfer files between both machines. I would also like to connect my Acorn thru this network to my Broadband Internet. On the RISC PC I have SmbServer 0.07 installed but not set up along with LanMan98. Is it possible to do all these things and can a rather slow person configure the machines to work? John Ealey John Ealey wrote: > Can anyone help me with the simplest step by step simple word instructions ...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

Windows XP
Hi guys, hope you can help. I am sorting out a friends network. A new computer has been added to his home, and it needs to be setup with the existing network. The existing network is between 2 computers, and is an adhoc network. It is called 'office'. The three pcs run XP home, and all have the service pack 1. They all also have a standard dlink ethernet card. To cut the long story, only problem i have in my way of it working is that i need to get rid of the existing ad hoc 'office' nertwork, and replace it from scratch. The host pc, with the internet connecti...

Windows 7 and Windows XP network stop working
Hello, well after few days I can't access Windows 7 sharing from a Windows XP machine. Win7 with Win7 always work great. When i restart the Server service it work again for few days and then stop again... It's really boring. Anyone can help? Thank You ...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com ...

os/2 & windows networking...
lets try this again. I'm completely confused by the networking aspects for OS/2 with a bunch of different sources and also getting ahead of the printing stuff. I sort of got it with win98 networking. the router is connected to warp4 and win98 machines. both machines are setup for peer & sharing warp4 - the mpts has it set to TCP/IP, netbios/tcp, and netbios. win98 - its set to netbeui, tcp/ip. now at some point, i have add in the ip addresses so that the 2 machines can talk to each other. keep it simple if that is possible.... failing that, is there a site that lays it ou...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines on the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila ...

Web resources about - Windows XP and Win 2K Network = Issues? No ping & dropouts!!! - comp.os.ms-windows.networking

Dropout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Drop Out," a song from the album Scream, Dracula, Scream! by Rocket from the Crypt. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike ...

Simon Cowell Is A High School Dropout - YouTube
Follow Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Hollyscoop Fan Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Hollyscoop Hollyscoop.com gives the scoop on Celebrities ...

High-school dropouts fuel China's sharemarket rally
New data provides fresh insights into who has been driving the recent rally in China's markets. It is not reassuring.

How A High-School Dropout Became The Most Dangerous Man In Financial News
On a clear day last October, Bloomberg TV anchor Matt Miller stood on the corner of York Avenue at 79th Street, staring across the stream of ...

The self-serve, online degree may be behind high dropout rates
The modern university degree is an alienating self-service experience that may be behind high dropout rates.

Edward Snowdon Background - A Geek and High School Dropout
... the center of a diplomatic row, Edward Snowden got off to a less spectacular start in life: he is a self-confessed geek and high school dropout. ...

The amazing 100m rugby league line dropout
Aaron Brown of the Dewsbury Rams has produced&nbsp;the kick of his life by launching&nbsp;an astounding 100 metre goal line dropout against Halifax. ...

Labor pledges to tackle uni dropout rate if elected
Labor will focus on addressing the growing number of university students enrolled with low tertiary entrance scores and the oversupply of graduates ...

Dropout « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law ...
Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

California Trans Teen's Inspirational Journey from Near Dropout to Prom Queen
Like many trans youth rejected in school, at one time prom queen Angie Esteban found herself skipping class and getting into fights.