Windows 2003 Standard Server and inserting SCSI drivers

Well, hi there.

Guess I need an idea about how to force Windows 2003 Server to accept a
driver without the hardware being present. So far I'm at a complete
loss. Here's the layout.

Old machine blew up, new server bought. Both with Intel E7520 chipset
and Intel Pro/1000 NICs to minimize problems as much as possible. The
old box had a truly crappy SATA RAID controller with nothing you could
honestly call "performance" without shaming yourself. "Works as
designed", as a certain manufacturer told me. The new one has an U320
RAID controller onboard, which performs rather nicely. (125 MB/sec
average sustained read rate isn't all that bad, I'd say.) So, what I
have to do in order to move the Windows installation (yes, I intend to
keep it. Too much stuff on it.) is make it eat the new controller
driver. Unfortunately it steadfastly refuses to swallow it. Since the
controller is onboard in the new machine, I can't take it out. Even if,
the old machine is done for, no points for going down that path.

The strange thing is that I don't even up with the well-known
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bluescreen, as I had expected. The system CAN
access the SCSI RAID volume, I'm getting as far as the Windows 2003
few seconds the box restarts all by itself. When trying to boot into
Safe Mode I can see drivers loading (very fast) and that's it, reset.
What I've tried so far is this:

1.) Booting the new one with various emergency boot CDs (Bart PE, ERD)
and trying to replace the driver. Renaming the old SATA drivers (the
cheapest way) and trying to sneak in the SCSI ones in disguise. No go,
same effect as if I haven't done anything at all, machine resets itself
at the loading screen.

2.) Enabling the mraid35x.sys device through an ERD CD. Didn't change
anything, not even after I replaced the standard 2003 version with one
supplied by the manufacturer.

3.) A so-called "in-place upgrade", as described in a knowledgebase
article on microsoft.com, which is in fact an extensive repair close to
a new installation. This did work on the test run, yet is a bit too much
trouble for my liking, not to mention the risk of losing settings (which
is mentioned as possible). The first boot after the repairing took,
including the waiting period after the login, about seven hours, which
is a bit rich. Since the server is supposed to be the AD master,
Exchange server and whatnot, I'd rather do something safe.

To my knowledge I have one option left, though I don't fancy it all that
much: cloning the old installation to an IDE or SATA drive, connect it
to the new server and hope the automatic hardware detection will do the
rest for me. No guarantees, of course.

Any useful suggestions are welcome. For those who think "install Linsux"
is a useful suggestion, read the posting again, do NOT skip the
understanding part, go wash yourselves and get a life.

JK'06
0
Jan
5/27/2006 10:12:12 AM
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc 741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Jan,

Have you tried installing the old crappy SATA controller into the new
server, to try and (fingers crossed) at least get a successful boot?

Justin

Jan Kannemacher wrote:
> [...]
> a new installation. This did work on the test run, yet is a bit too much
> trouble for my liking, not to mention the risk of losing settings (which
> is mentioned as possible). The first boot after the repairing took,
> including the waiting period after the login, about seven hours, which
> is a bit rich. Since the server is supposed to be the AD master,
> Exchange server and whatnot, I'd rather do something safe.
>
> To my knowledge I have one option left, though I don't fancy it all that
> much: cloning the old installation to an IDE or SATA drive, connect it
> to the new server and hope the automatic hardware detection will do the
> rest for me. No guarantees, of course.
>
> Any useful suggestions are welcome. For those who think "install Linsux"
> is a useful suggestion, read the posting again, do NOT skip the
> understanding part, go wash yourselves and get a life.

0
netjustin
5/29/2006 7:54:16 PM
"netjustin" <jcbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have you tried installing the old crappy SATA controller into the new
>server, to try and (fingers crossed) at least get a successful boot?

No, I'd have to move the drives as well which would result in a major
hardware juggling session. This is just too much. As it seems I'll have
to go with this in-place upgrade, it seems to do the job. A bit short on
elegance, but we can't have it all...

JK'06
0
Jan

Migrating applications from Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000
Hi, I've got a bunch of VB6 applications which currently run on a Windows NT/SQL Server 7.0 server config with client machines on Windows 2000. I'm planning to replace the servers with Windows 2003/SQL Server 2000 configs, keeping client machines on Windows 2000 for now. So generally speaking, are there many programming or configuration changes I'll need to make to the applications so that they'll run on the new configuration? What issues can I expect etc? I'm just after general issues any of you may have experienced by migrating from NT to 2003, and also from SQL Server...

Any MS SQL server driver for JDBC for window NT ?
Dear all, Any MS SQL server driver for JDBC for window NT ? Thanks for reply. Victoria For SQL 2000 you can download MS's free one from www.microsoft.com/sql > Any MS SQL server driver for JDBC for window NT ? > > Thanks for reply. > > Victoria > Neil Pike Protech Computing Ltd (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise) [posted and mailed] Victoria (01512244d@polyu.edu.hk) writes: > Any MS SQL server driver for JDBC for window NT ? I have a few listed on http://www.sommarskog.se/mssqlperl/unix.html. -- Erland Sommar...

Wasatch Softrip V4.5 DC052003 [3 CDs], Windows Server 2003, OFFICE SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL V2003 - MICROSOFT [5 CDs], vs.net 2003 [10 CDs], LIVE COMMUNICATIONS SERVER 2003 STANDARD *ENGLISH*
Wasatch Softrip V4.5 DC052003 [3 CDs], Windows Server 2003, OFFICE SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL V2003 - MICROSOFT [5 CDs], vs.net 2003 [10 CDs], LIVE COMMUNICATIONS SERVER 2003 STANDARD *ENGLISH* - MICROSOFT, IBM Everyplace Mobile Device Enterprise Toolkit v2.0 WS, AutoRoute 2004 [2 CDs], MapPoint Europe 2004 [2 CDs], DVD 01 Microsoft Encarta Reference Library Plus DVD 2004, Paloalto Business Plan Pro 2004, Peachtree First Accounting 2004, for more .nfo, please send e-mail -> tel2003@pathfinder.gr, tel2003@popmail.com, msteve@otenet.gr, and for the complete list of 12,000 PC tutorials, for 300 Med...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Windows 98 vs Windows server 2003
Hi there, I have a very strange problem. I've installed a Windows 2003 server with some windows 2000 pro clients and 2 windows 98 clients. All works fine but...... One of the employees wants to connect from his home-office by VPN or Terminal session. When i install Routing & Remote access OR the Terminalserver-software on the 2003 server the windows 98 clients are not able to login. Sometimes the password is not accepted and sometimes the client is unable to find the domain for verification of the password. When I uninstall the Routing & Remote Acces and the Termi...

Using Filemaker 7 Server Advanced and Windows Server 2003 standard
Hello, I've bought Filemaker 7 Pro Server advanced and Windows Server 2003 Standard. I've made a nice database in Filemaker Pro 7 using only scriptsteps that are browsercompatible. NO problem... very nice result but... Setting up Windows 2003 Server and Filemaker Pro 7 advanced is a ... If I look in the manuals of both Windows and Filemaker I get 1001 different settingpossibilities, and I just don't want to learn it all because it is not usefull to me. There must be some standard settings I schould do in Windows Server and Filemaker Pro Server advanced so that I can make my...

MS SQL Server 7.0 SP4 on Windows 2003 Server.
My regards for all on this NG! My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run with no problems into Windows 2003 Server. Thanks a lot!! Lucio Lucio Chiessi [VORio] (lucio@vorio.eti.br) writes: > My regards for all on this NG! > > My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases > and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 > I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run > with no problems into Windows 2003 Server...

Windows 2003 server enterprise Vs Pervasive.Sql v9 for Nt server
If I use a server with 8 Gb of Ram with Os win 2003 server enterprise. Does it BeakThrough the windows limitation of 2 Gb ram for a users process for the cache memory. No. However, if you disable the L2 cache, kick the L1 cache up to a high value (such as 800MB), and enable the System Cache, you'll have better PSQL performance, since the OS will cache file data in the other 6GB of memory. Goldstar Software Inc. Pervasive-based Products, Training & Services Bill Bach BillBach@goldstarsoftware.com http://www.goldstarsoftware.com *** Chicago: Pervasive Service & Support Cla...

install problem of audio driver of windows server 2003 under win2k3 server sp2
hi.have you ever experienced this kind of problem just as follows: first of all, I want to apologize for my awful english. enviroment:windows 2k3 enterprise edition+sevice-pack2+the old ibm t23 thing i have done: 1.search the lenovo website for newest driver ;but it seems that there isn't any windows server 2003 driver for any thinkpad product. 2.try to install the provided NT4.0 and XP audio driver by runing the setup file of the driver-install- pack.but it doesn't work.[in the device-manager the label turn to Crystal Audio[i cannot recall it clearly];but the volume...

Standard Configuration of Windows 2000/2003 Server to act as Domino APP + Mail Server
Hello All Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. Thank you :{) home@127.0.0.1 wrote: > Hello All > > Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of > a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server > > I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. > > Thank you > > :{) > > You need almost no native processes running as D...

Deployment of SNMP on all windows devices, windows XP , 2003 server
I was thinking one could use VBS or a login script to install SNMP components and services, using something like psexec. the client computers are windows xp pro with limited user accounts. And a few windows 2003 servers. Any one have any ideas? ...

Windows NT 2000 and 2003 server ?
can anybody point me in the right direction for some none microsoft review of these three server packages. Am tring to one of the key areas microsoft has changed in these server packages and if they realy do what they claim. Have search and only found Microsoft point of you. ...

WTB or trade: Windows Terminal Server for Windows NT 4
I'm interested in running Windows NT 4 on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 so I only need one, maybe two licenses. It has to be NT because that's the server on my LAN. Please e-mail me at kaliushkin <at> att <dot> net. TIA, Dan "Dan-the K" <kaliushkin@att.net> wrote in news:1124336425.658101.160640 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > I'm interested in running Windows NT 4 on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 so I > only need one, maybe two licenses. It has to be NT because that's the > server on my LAN. > > Please e-mail me at kaliushkin...

Windows NT 2000 and 2003 server ?
can anybody point me in the right direction for some none microsoft review of these three server packages. Am tring to one of the key areas microsoft has changed in these server packages and if they realy do what they claim. Have search and only found Microsoft point of you. ...

Windows NT 2000 and 2003 server ?
can anybody point me in the right direction for some none microsoft review of these three server packages. Am tring to one of the key areas microsoft has changed in these server packages and if they realy do what they claim. Have search and only found Microsoft point of you. ...

Windows Server 2003 Stops Responding During the Windows Update Process
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817691 SYMPTOMS When you use Windows Update to install new drivers on your computer, and you also have Hewlett-Packard (HP) SecurePath multi-path software installed on your computer, you may experience errors during driver installation that cause your computer to abruptly stop responding. -- w:04 Go, Robot, Go ! wrote: > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817691 > > SYMPTOMS > > When you use Windows Update to install new drivers on your computer, > and you also have Hewlett-Packard (H...

Deployment of SNMP on all windows devices, windows XP , 2003 server
I was thinking one could use VBS or a login script to install SNMP components and services, using something like psexec. the client computers are windows xp pro with limited user accounts. And a few windows 2003 servers. Any one have any ideas? ...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

How do I remotely access Scheduled Tasks from Windows XP to Windows Server 2003?
How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using Python? I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows 2003 servers. It works great. However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then manipulate those task settings. At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. Thanks, "kj7ny" wrote: > How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using > Python? > > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows > 2003 servers. It works great. > > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the > scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then > manipulate those task settings. > > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then > be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that > I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. > > Thanks, > Pywin32 comes with a ...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en...

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

7.3 on Windows 2003? And 9i on Windows NT 4.0?...
Hello, I'll migrate from 7.3 to 9i (or 10, if it's possible), but I have 2 problems to resolve first (to see if it's possible to do the migration step by step with 2 servers...) Is Oracle 9i (or 10) running on a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6) server? Is Oracle 7.3 running on a Windows 2003 Server? Thank's a lot for your help, because I did'nt find information on the web... Damien Vieli wrote: >Hello, > >I'll migrate from 7.3 to 9i (or 10, if it's possible), but I have 2 problems >to resolve first (to see if it's possible to do the migration step by step...

Is there a difference in the way Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 handles pnp drivers
Is there a difference in the way Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 handle pnp drivers? If so, is there documentation somewhere on the subject. I have been roaming around in the maze that is msdn without getting anywhere. I am lost...help! ...

Web resources about - Windows 2003 Standard Server and inserting SCSI drivers - comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc

Inserting Kate
jurvetson posted a photo: the speaking GPS avatar that we came to love.. more prep photos below... You can hear her voice in the video compilation ...

Inserting the Galaxy Note 5’s S Pen backwards can permanently damage the device
One of the features Samsung highlighted when it unveiled the Galaxy Note 5 was the device's new S Pen slot design. The Note 5 features a spring-loaded ...

How the Shift from Swiping to Inserting Cards Will Accelerate Mobile Payments
... this shift is to protect consumers and merchants from fraud. What the industry refers to as "dipping" and consumers and cashiers call "inserting" ...

Inserting Slavery Into The Climate Debate
Chris Hayes compares the fight against fossil fuels to the abolitionist movement. He states plainly that “there is absolutely no conceivable ...

Samsung smart TVs inserting ads into third-party apps
... playback have pissed off a number of consumers. People with smart TVs from Samsung have been complaining that the electronics maker is inserting ...

Inserting images into Gmail could be so much better
When Google first launched the new compact compose window in Gmail, many of you might have noticed something annoying about inserting images. ...

Gawker tells Steven Crowder to "stop whining, take your licks, and accept that getting hit in the face ...
"... in the middle of an argument between billionaire-funded know-nothing ideologues and people whose livelihoods and stability are being threatened ...

Gmail's Shortcut for Inserting Hyperlinks
... but that doesn't mean Google shouldn't improve them. Many people complained that Gmail's rich text editor doesn't have a shortcut for inserting ...

Why Hollywood Is Inserting These Two Huge Chinese Actresses Into Its Summer Blockbusters
... It shows the enormous potential in China for distributors. We've previously discussed how Hollywood is starting to cater to China by inserting ...