Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP

Hi,

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.

My question is :

A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
cheap.
Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
operating
systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
workstation system that I already have ?

For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
there any
difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?
0
buywheels
8/13/2003 1:45:01 PM
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc 741 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In message <6de7f155.0308130545.60bcdf43@posting.google.com>, Jack W.
<buywheels@hotmail.com> writes
>Hi,
>
>I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
>thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
>have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
>
>My question is :
>
>A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
>cheap.
>Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
>operating
>systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
>workstation system that I already have ?
>
>For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
>there any
>difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?
Jack,

My thoughts.

I would stick with NT if the new box has no USB ports on it.

If the box does have USB ports I would invest the $40 in W2K because you
will find all sorts of useful devices (Printers, Scanners, cameras and
pocket PC/Palm devices) are designed around the USB interface. Non USB
equivalents will be a hassle and (if available) more expensive.

I switched to W2k from NT about two years ago ONLY because I needed USB
support for some newer devices which doesn't exist under NT. Other than
that I didn't notice any real difference.

I have so far found no need to go to XP - and accept its rather
draconian (just my view) licence activation approach.

Regards

--
Peter R Cook
0
> Hi,
>
> I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
> thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
> have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
>
> My question is :
>
> A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
> cheap.
> Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
> operating
> systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
> workstation system that I already have ?
>
> For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
> there any
> difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

For those things you want to do, Windows NT4 is a very good OS. However,
Windows 2000 and XP do have support for more hardware than NT4, and USB is
ofcourse not supported in NT4. On the other side, NT4 is much less
memory-hungry (it works fine with 64 MB of RAM) compared to Windows 2000 or
XP.

Also, please bear in mind that support for NT4 will be stopped in a few
months, so there will be no new patched available.

0
John
8/13/2003 3:45:10 PM
In my opinion, I'd go with Win2K.  It has the stability of WinNT, has
(to my mind) a more intuitive interface, is very good with Plug and
Play, supports most devices, including USB (even supports "memory
keys" without any special software required).  Plus it is still
actively supported, with updates and everything ...

On 13 Aug 2003 06:45:01 -0700, buywheels@hotmail.com (Jack W.) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another
>thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I
>have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing.
>
>My question is :
>
>A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for
>cheap.
>Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two
>operating
>systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT
>workstation system that I already have ?
>
>For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is
>there any
>difference in using NT and 2000 or XP home ?

0
Bob