Poco VS Boost

Hi,

  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with it.
Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I find it
quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to deal mostly
with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good and easy way to
deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if Poco can be use the
same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in VC++ Express. Is it
like that or do I need to do some compiling?

Thanks

comp.os.programmer.win32 14436 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

* Larry:

>  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
> and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
> find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with
> it. Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I
> find it quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to
> deal mostly with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good
> and easy way to deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if
> Poco can be use the same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in
> VC++ Express. Is it like that or do I need to do some compiling?

With Poco you need to do some compiling, yes.

Poco and Boost address different levels of programming. Boost gives you the kind
of general functionality that conceivably could be directly part of the standard
library, intended to help you build more directly practically useful
functionality. Poco is meant to give you the more directly practically useful
functionality, more like Java's standard library, at the cost of having more
dependencies between parts so that it's more of an "all or nothing" thing.

That said, I don't see what this has to do with Windows programming. Both
libraries are general, portable C++ libraries. You should have posted in a C++
group such as [comp.lang.c++], and I've cross-posted this reply there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
0
Alf

Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ?
I've been a fond fan of Qedit(host) for many years now; already knowing this editor leads me to stay with it when looking for a good client/server editor. But I admit I've also had my head in the sand for years, happily grinding away at my Cobol/Image code, getting real work done, going home tired. Meanwhile, the world's grown up without me. Would you fine folks be so kind as to share your experiences with C/S editors? I know I'll still be working on good old HP3000 Cobol, but now I'm getting into the Unix world, and will probably appreciate having something l...

Pentium M vs Centrino
What's the difference between "Pentium M" and "Centrino" CPUs, if any? Thanks. Shawn Centrino is actually not a processor, but a marketing name for a group of chips togethers, this includes one of the Pentium M processors in combination with one of the specific Intel chipsets (don't ask me the numbers but there are two of which one with graphics, the other one without), and a Wireless 802.11 b access. These three together are Centrino, which stands for wireless mobile computing. The Pentium M is the actual processor used, this one uses much less power and i...

Dove posso acquistare poco costoso cartuccia compatibile Xerox WC 3500.
Tutti Benvenuti! Nel tempo peggiore possibile sulla cartuccia . Soldi per una nuova bassa, e al distributore di benzina , troppo, e urgente bisogno di stampare una lettera . Dove posso acquistare una cartuccia economico Xerox WC 3500. Qui si trovano sul forum : <a href=http://www.filpan.ru> Cartuccia Compatibile Xerox WC 3500. </a> ...

NFS vs AFP
Hello All I've tried mounting parts of my FreeBSD filesystem (4.10) onto my PowerBook using both NFS and AFP (Netatalk) - AFP seems really really slow, esp. when working in a directory with lots of files and subdirectories. Is this similar to others' experiences? Or did I botch something? Just curious, think I'm going to stick Thanks - JB -------------------------------------------- John Bleichert - syborg@earthlink.net "The meek shall inherit nothing." - FZ syborg@earthlink.net wrote: > Hello All > > I've tried mountin...

All Caps Vs lowercase entries
Good morning, Could you please provide me with some reasons on why I should or shouldn't force users to enter data as UPPERCASE in fields rather than allowing them to enter the values however they see fit? I can appreciate that uppercase letters use up more space in the database than lowercase, but aesthetically, UPPERCASE looks better and it creates uniformity. Many thanks David Uppercase is much harder to read. Bridget Eley in article cu9264$213$1@otis.netspace.net.au, Dave at always_please@hotmail.com wrote on 8/2/05 10:47 AM: > Good morning, > Could you please provid...

toshiba Satellite P35-S611 vs dell 9200?
Does anyone have any opinions on which is better? I could find any direct comparisons. ...

vrrp vs. carp
Hi, It looks like freevrrp in freebsd only deal with redundancy control within a machine using two network cards. How about redundant firewalls like CARP? It looks like CARP deal with redundant firewalls. If VRRP can be setup to handle redundant firewalls, how can I setup a VRRP for this? Thanks Sam sam <sam.wun@authtec.com> writes: > It looks like freevrrp in freebsd only deal with redundancy control > within a machine using two network cards. How about redundant > firewalls like CARP? It looks like CARP deal with redundant > firewalls. CARP is a w...

C55 vs. C6EA
There are several of you who a familiar with C55 and C6EA. Some of you know C6EA even deeper. We are going to rebuild one of our CW20 application and were going to do it with C55EE. It should be done and released in December. However now I've started to think if we should do it with C6EA. Is already that stable? Are there still some holes in it? Does it still lack something? What would you do in this situation? Cheers Mikko Hi Mikko, move apps from C55 to C6 is very easy and quick. The real must have is: ABC-templates. So you can wait for C6 or start to convert your app with C55. We...

Re: Hash Object
David Cassell wrote: > Around here, this is often called the Whitlock do-loop or the > DOW-loop. It just puts an explicit do-loop around the SET > statement. Now that Ian is reading SAS-L again, perhaps he can clear up a terminology question. It has always been my understanding that a DOW loop is one that takes advantage of the special processing SAS does with FIRST. variables and the resetting of non-retained variables when a new iteration of the data step is started. So a typical DOW would be: ===== Example taken from Paul Dorfman's paper "The Magnificent Do" Da...

***SPAM*** Score/Req: 05.50/05.00
Well Alfredo, I am impressed with your alpha-geek setup. Really cool. The keyboard mapping tool is interesting too. I may even pop for a subscription to get it and check out what else they have. There sure seems to have been a lot of wheat among the "chaff" <grin>. You triggered a memory of another feature I use a lot in WPS. It's called "Find in files" and it provides a grep-like search of multiple files for a string. As in the search of a single file, you can use a simple string or a RegEx string definition. Another feature I like is the "tabbed...

systemC vs verilog/PLI for verification
HI, I am a design engineer. I use mostly verilog for thr RTL design. For testbenches I have used verilog and C models embedded into verilog using PLI. We are starting a new project. We are looking into using systemC for the testbenches and the verification framework. The RTL design will be in verilog. How do we compare the Verilog with PLI based approach with the systemC testbench approach? I looked into some of the postings in the newgroup. Most of them were discussions on the pros and cons of using SystemC for design. I do not want to start a discussion on that at this time :-) ...

Ruby vs JRuby Performance
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] I knew that there was a penalty to be paid when running JRuby, but I did not know how high. I developed a Sudoku solver, which actually solves simple to medium difficult puzzles. I am still struggling to make it solve "hard" problems. I just installed JRuby yesterday and wanted to compare it against Ruby. I executed the same program: The results are in: ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32] *Ruby: ruby sudoku01final.rb Elapsed Time: 0.437 Secs* jruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2008-05-28 rev 6586) ...

Re: Touch Tone vs. Rotary -- Desk vs. Wall Sets?
> P.S. While we're on the subject, would anyone know what percentage of > lines are still served by exclusively dial equipment? I don't think > they charge a premium for TT anymore. Also, many people have some old > rotary sets still in service (like me) even if their primary sets are > TT. Over here in the U.K. we didn't get TouchTone until the 1980s, but there was never any premium and it was made available on all lines automatically as soon as the C.O. equipment could handle it. All lines will still accept rotary/pulse dialing, at least regular "...

C++ vs Java vs OCaml vs SML
I have written a web page comparing the verbosity and speed of four different (progressively optimised) mini ray tracers written in C++, Java, OCaml and SML: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html Essentially, the results indicate that Java is extremely slow (5x slower than the fastest implementation) and extremely verbose, OCaml is extremely concise (only 60 lines of code for the minimal implementation of the ray tracer) and Mlton-compiled SML is extremely fast (much faster than the other three languages). -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffco...

Poco VS Boost
Hi, I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with it. Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I find it quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to deal mostly with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good and easy way to deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if Poco can be use the same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in VC++ Ex...

lcdui
Hi, I have a question regarding the MIDP1.0 lcdui 'widgets' ChoiceGroup and List. Basically - is there any reason to use List for anything other than a 'menu'? ChoiceGroup has an itemstatelistener so that you can write code that acts immediately when a choice element has been selected, whereas List doesn't really have this ability for MULTIPLE or EXCLUSIVE type lists. This has been corrected with MIDP2.0, but I'm interested in writing code for the widest possible audience, and since 1.0 is still being sold... 2.0 isn't an option. I have half an idea to create L...

ML vs. Lisp
Besides the infix syntax and the static type system, can someone describe the difference between ML and Lisp from a programmer's point of view? Should a Lisp programmer be able to get accustomed to .*ML (insert your favorite dialect prefix for ".*") without a lot of adjustment? I can tell you that does NOT happen with Haskell ;). Thanks. Paul Rubin schrieb: > Besides the infix syntax and the static type system, can someone > describe the difference between ML and Lisp from a programmer's point > of view? Should a Lisp programmer be able to get accustomed to .*ML...

/usr/bin/zip vs archiving in the Finder
What's the difference between /usr/bin/zip and archiving in the Finder? I noticed that /usr/bin/zip doesn't preserve the cretor/type IDs which can be verified SuperGet Info [aka sgi]. Archiving from the finder does preserve it. Is the latter using another zip mechanism? If so, where is that zip located? Thanks, PaulN In article <dt4hfo$t79$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, 2me@PaulComputing.com (Paul Nevai) wrote: > What's the difference between /usr/bin/zip and archiving in the Finder? > > I noticed that /usr/bin/zip doesn't preserve the cretor/type IDs...

Good vs Evil
To quote JRR Tolkien: "In the battle between good and evil, there is no dishonor in defeat, there is only dishoner in not fighting." As this applies to Linux? I have no problem with "proprietary" software, per se' as I do sell software and make a living on it. I have no problem making money, I like making money, I like spending money. I have a problem with the attempts by the likes of Microsoft, Disney, RIAA, MPIAA, etc. to put profits over freedom. The U.S. constitution is under attack, either by the Bush administration and the republicans, or big corporate interr...

Parsing xml with Boost
Hi, I have recently learned that Boost provides a tool for parsing and generating xml files (although without performing schema validation). In case you didn't notice it yet, I enclose a link to my article with a guide on how to use the feature. http://akrzemi1.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/parsing-xml-with-boost/ Regards, &rzej ...

SAS vs. COGNOS
Dear SAS Pros: We are currently licensed for the SAS Web Infrastructure Tool Kit, which pr= ovides a few components of the SAS BI Server package (ID Portal, Stored Pro= cess Server, and Metadata Server). We would like to move up to the full SAS BI Server package, however, there = are some new people in the University's Administration who think that we sh= ould give consideration to the COGNOS 8 BI server, despite all of the techn= ical staff being in favor of the SAS tools. We already had presentations of= both and we will have another one next week. For those of you who are fami= liar w...

Bind9 vs PowerDNS
I am seeking opinions on whether to use Bind9 or PowerDNS -- If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name part of my email address. It is a spam jammer. ...

name vs id in getElementById in NS
Should I use both name and id <div name="abc" id="abc"> for using getElementById in NS? On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:45:44 -0400, nntp <nntp@rogers.com> wrote: > Should I use both name and id > <div name="abc" id="abc"> for using getElementById in NS? No, for two reasons: 1) getElementById only returns references to elements that have a matching id. Though IE does return matching names, it is broken in this respect[1]. 2) The majority of elements do not have name attributes, and those that do only continue to have them for bac...

Technical question about AppleTV vs Itunes
Netflix is a purely "streaming" model. Data arrives to your TV as fast as it is needed. An HD movie generally requires just under 5mbps of bandwidth. Itunes on a mac will gnerally download a movie (puchase or rental) as fast as it can, but may allow you to start watching it before it has completed the download. From a network management perspectiv, this is very different from a purely streaming model. curerent AppleTV do no have a hard disk to store media. Can someone confirm that they can only stream purchased/rented movies or TV programs ? And if so, does anyone have specs on ...

forth vs common lisp vs blah for website
will there ever be stuff like this for forth: http://restas.lisper.ru/en/overview.html#overview http://wuwei.name/ http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/features.html http://web4r.org/en/ Now I know Charles Moore passed over lisp on his way to making FORTH. What would Charles, if he is listening, do to make website development easy? Would he avoid html? On 5/15/11 2:45 AM, gavino wrote: > will there ever be stuff like this for forth: > http://restas.lisper.ru/en/overview.html#overview > http://wuwei.name/ > http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/features.html > http://web4r.org/en/...