Poco VS Boost

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with it.
Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I find it
quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to deal mostly
with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good and easy way to
deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if Poco can be use the
same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in VC++ Express. Is it
like that or do I need to do some compiling?

Thanks

0
Reply dontmewithme (71) 2/2/2010 12:28:32 AM

See related articles to this posting

* Larry:

>  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
> and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
> find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with
> it. Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I
> find it quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to
> deal mostly with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good
> and easy way to deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if
> Poco can be use the same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in
> VC++ Express. Is it like that or do I need to do some compiling?

With Poco you need to do some compiling, yes.

Poco and Boost address different levels of programming. Boost gives you the kind
of general functionality that conceivably could be directly part of the standard
library, intended to help you build more directly practically useful
functionality. Poco is meant to give you the more directly practically useful
functionality, more like Java's standard library, at the cost of having more
dependencies between parts so that it's more of an "all or nothing" thing.

That said, I don't see what this has to do with Windows programming. Both
libraries are general, portable C++ libraries. You should have posted in a C++
group such as [comp.lang.c++], and I've cross-posted this reply there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
0
Reply Alf 2/2/2010 12:47:45 AM
comp.os.programmer.win32 14307 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Rake vs SCons vs Boost.Build v2 vs Perforce Jam
Hi all, I'm pretty excited to find Rake, a build tool based on Ruby!!! Does anyone have any comparison info about Rake vs SCons vs Boost.Build-v2 vs Perforce Jam? Thanks! ...

NatSys Lock-free Queue vs LMAX Disruptor vs boost::lockfree::queue
I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX Disrup= tor. The last time is in discussion at Hacker News. In LinkedIn discussions= I also was asked about boost::lockfree::queue (it appeared in Boost recent= ly). So I'm writing the post to share the answers. http://natsys-lab.blogspot.ru/2014/01/natsys-lock-free-queue-in-comparison.= html ...

NatSys Lock-free Queue vs LMAX Disruptor vs boost::lockfree::queue
I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX Disrup= tor. The last time is in discussion at Hacker News. In LinkedIn discussions= I also was asked about boost::lockfree::queue (it appeared in Boost recent= ly). So I'm writing the post to share the answers. http://natsys-lab.blogspot.ru/2014/01/natsys-lock-free-queue-in-comparison.= html > "Alexander Krizhanovsky" wrote in message > news:b0f0ec88-399a-407a-87a2-41c9c5df7007@googlegroups.com... > I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX > Disr...

wxWidgets vs boost
Is there any plan to use boost classes in wxWidgets library ??? I know that a one of the most important wxWidgets goal is portability and some of the boost classes may not compile on some platforms (?) On 11/18/06, Dominik Tyniw <dominik.tyniw@gazeta.pl> wrote: > > Is there any plan to use boost classes in wxWidgets library ??? I know that > a one of the most important wxWidgets goal is portability and some of the > boost classes may not compile on some platforms (?) Most unlikely. I'm a user of Boost and have been tracking wxWidgets on this mailing list for...

libsigc++ vs. boost::signals
Hello! I am very interesting what is present comparision between libsigc++ version 2.0 and boost::signals in boost 1.33. >From documentation I could notice that they are quite similar (with respect to the functionality and API). On Internet I have found that boost::signals have problems with cooperation with boost::lambda and boost::functional, but in that information there was not included the number of the boost version. Is that true for boost 1.33? Is in libsigc++ possible to connect, a group of functions to one signal like in boost::signals? In examples for libsigc++ 2.0 there is no...

auto_ptr vs. boost shared_ptr
I've just read the boost documentation on shared_ptr (http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm) and it was not clear to me what advantage using shared_ptr over std::auto_ptr would be. Many thanks for your ideas. Robert [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Robster wrote: > I've just read the boost documentation on shared_ptr > (http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm) and it was not > clear to me what advantage using shared_ptr over std::auto_ptr would ...

std::iterator_category vs boost
Hello, I read a lot of complaints about how the standard iterator_category mixes access and traversal. Boost implements its own variant of tags. Helpers like boost::transform_iterator will usually turn any iterator into a simple input iterator if *iter doesn't return an lvalue. This makes it mostly useless to me. Actually functions coded specifically for boost can see it as something more than an input iterator, but not regular functions asking for forward iterators and such. In most code I've seen, we ignore the lvalue requirement and lie by defining iterator_category j...

boost::shared_ptr vs. auto_ptr
Are there any advantages of using boost::shared_ptr other than auto_ptr from standard library? * ctick: > Are there any advantages of using boost::shared_ptr other than auto_ptr from > standard library? There are a number of advantages. First, they're two different beasts: std::auto_ptr transfers ownership so that with some caution you can guarantee that only one pointer points to a particular object at any time, whereas boost::shared_ptr provides reference counting so that many pointers can point to the same object. Second, you cannot put std::auto_ptr's in a standard con...

wxThread vs. Boost.Thread
Hi, I need to implement some multithreading functionality in some project of mine. I came across and old thread about wxThread vs Boost.Thread http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.wxwindows/browse_thread/thread/022015c44abfc8d5 and I wondered if there are any new insights on the topic. What are the advantages of using Boost.Thread over wxThread? What are the disadvantages? From my general experience with Boost, it is really a great library and with very good implementations. At glance the Thread library seems it holds up to this experience. My question is whether worki...

boost tuple Vs stl pair
If you are faced with the need for a one-off, temporary tuple object to store a pair of objects, between boost's tuple and stl's pair, what is the best library for the job? Thanks in advance, Rui Maciel "Rui Maciel" <rui.maciel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4b44e908$0$9004$a729d347@news.telepac.pt... > If you are faced with the need for a one-off, temporary tuple object to > store a > pair of objects, between boost's tuple and stl's pair, what is the best > library for > the job? > It all depends if you want a boost ...

boost::weak_ptr vs pass by reference
Reading on the boost pointer types, it almost sounds as if I should always use a shared_ptr when dealing with something that is allocated on the heap and owned I should always use a weak_ptr when dealing with something that is allocated on the heap, but not owned In what cases should I be using a weak_ptr vs passing by reference? As is, I am inclined to start replacing all those class methods that take a reference to an object whose lifetime is managed by another class with methods that create a weak_ptr instead. Before I do that is there anything that I should know about using a weak_ptr vs...

boost threads: notify_one vs. notify_all
For a given condition variable, notify_one will wake up only one blocking thread, while notify_all wakes up all blocking threads. My question is why do both exist? In my mind, there shouldn't be correctness issues, because the lock must automatically be reacquired within the blocker's wait() function before the woken thread can resume, correct? Is it simply efficiency, or are all woken threads simply allowed to continue without having to fight for the lock on the shared mutex? Isaac [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated....

boost::bind vs. c++0x
It was my understanding that boost::bind (as of 1.39 at least) was a fairly direct reflection of what will be in the next standard and the wording in TR1. Is that true? Reason I ask is that this code does not compile in VS2010RC but if I use boost::bind instead of std::tr1::bind it does. #include <iostream> #include <functional> #include <boost/bind.hpp> int main() { auto f = [](int i, int j) -> int { return i < j; }; auto fun = std::tr1::bind<int>(f, 10, 12); std::cout << fun() << std::endl; std::cin.get(); } The...

Boost.uBLAS vs C++ standards?
Hi all. What is the status of Boost.uBLAS with respect to becoming part of a C++ standard? Is it standardized? Or are there plans to standardize it? Rune -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Dec 3, 7:33 am, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no> wrote: > Hi all. > > What is the status of Boost.uBLAS with respect to > becoming part of a C++ standard? Is it standardized? > Or are there plans to standardize it? It isn't and there are no plans of doi...

Ask for help! boost thread problem in VS 2005
#include <boost/thread/thread.hpp> #include <iostream> using namespace std; using namespace boost; void hello() { cout << "Hello world, I'm a thread!" << endl; } int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { thread thrd(&hello); thrd.join(); return 0; } Why can it not be compiled in VS 2005? The compiler reports the error message "Threading support unavaliable: it has been explicitly disabled with BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS". Who know the solution to it? Any help is appreciated. [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] ...

Perl/Python regular expressions vs. Boost.regex?
A colleague wrote a C++ library here at work which uses the Boost.regex library. I quickly discovered an apparent problem with how it searches. Unlike re.match the regex_match function in that library effectively anchors the match at both the start and the end. Can other people confirm this? Thx, Skip Montanaro wrote in news:mailman.2906.1224773327.3487.python-list@python.org in comp.lang.python: > A colleague wrote a C++ library here at work which uses the > Boost.regex library. I quickly discovered an apparent problem with > how it searches. Unlike re.match the regex_match...

Ask for help. Boost Thread Problem with VS 2005
#include <boost/thread/thread.hpp> #include <iostream> using namespace std; using namespace boost; void hello() { cout << "Hello world, I'm a thread!" << endl; } int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { thread thrd(&hello); thrd.join(); return 0; } =================== The above code cannot be compiled in VS 2005. The compiler reports an error message "Threading support unavaliable: it has been explicitly disabled with BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS", What's the cause? Who know the solution to it? Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated. ...

[ace-users] About ACE and Boost / Poco / STD questions.
This is a multipart message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00B2_01CC93CB.25CBD020 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, My name is Retf and, I am a new in ACE. I want use it in my projects; than I have same questions: I am use boost an poco too. Anyone see any problem in mix these libs? I want use ACE for handle services as network compatibilities, boost for algorithms and container and Poco to manipulate File System. (Or ace provide all of this, and I should consider drop boost and Poco of my proj...

return value optimization vs. returning a boost::shared_ptr of container
Hi, I heard that most (if not all) containers in C++ standards (including the upcoming one) and in boost.org do not follow copy on write semantics. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Therefore, if I need to construct some container in a function and return it. I'd better return a shared_ptr of the container rather than the container itself. For example, should return boost::shared_ptr<tr1::unordered_map> rather than tr1::unordered_map. If there is return value optimization (RVO), I think that I can return tr1::unordered_map as the compile can optimize away unnecess...

boost::format vs. in-class 'static const int'
I recently ran across an interesting problem in combining two parts of C++ that individually work beautifully: boost::format and in-class 'static const int' constants. The following toy code illustrates the problem: #include <iostream> #include "boost/format.hpp" using std::cout; using boost::format; // identity function inline int I(int x) { return x; } // declaration of class containing in-class 'static const int' class foo { public: static const int N = 42; }; int m...

Seeking feedback on C++ ZThreads: good or bad experiences (vs Boost, pthreads, etc)?
My team currently using Boost Threads, but we are considering switching to ZThreads. (We seek cross-platform, C++ multithreading capabilities in an external library.) ZThread(s): http://zthread.sourceforge.net/ http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/dbis/members/vinnik/zsim/doc/ Can anyone share their ZThreads experience, either good, bad, or indifferent? If you have time, can you also contrast ZThreads with alternative, cross-platform threading libraries (as per: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413251 ). Also note: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413255 Best regar...

Seeking feedback on C++ ZThreads: good or bad experiences (vs Boost, pthreads, etc)?
My team currently uses Boost Threads, but we are considering switching to ZThreads. (We seek cross-platform, C++ multithreading capabilities in an external library; a similar discussion can be found here: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413255 ) ZThread(s): http://zthread.sourceforge.net/ http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/dbis/members/vinnik/zsim/doc/ Can anyone share their ZThreads experience, either good, bad, or indifferent? If you have time, can you also contrast ZThreads with alternative, cross-platform threading libraries (as per: http://www.codeguru.com/foru...

WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE
In the ongoing discussion here about alternatives to the RM, the subject of pointers keeps coming up. AFAIK, one of the features of the RM is that the interconnectedness of data is established by common data values, instead of pointers. In my view, pointers are "good things" not "bad things". But there are plenty of "good things" that will harm you if you don't use them right. One of the ways a network or graph data base achieves performance is by the efficient use of pointers, and the strategic preplacement of pointers where they will be need...