Poco VS Boost

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with it.
Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I find it
quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to deal mostly
with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good and easy way to
deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if Poco can be use the
same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in VC++ Express. Is it
like that or do I need to do some compiling?

Thanks

0
Reply dontmewithme (71) 2/2/2010 12:28:32 AM

See related articles to this posting

* Larry:

>  I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
> and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
> find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with
> it. Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I
> find it quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to
> deal mostly with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good
> and easy way to deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if
> Poco can be use the same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in
> VC++ Express. Is it like that or do I need to do some compiling?

With Poco you need to do some compiling, yes.

Poco and Boost address different levels of programming. Boost gives you the kind
of general functionality that conceivably could be directly part of the standard
library, intended to help you build more directly practically useful
functionality. Poco is meant to give you the more directly practically useful
functionality, more like Java's standard library, at the cost of having more
dependencies between parts so that it's more of an "all or nothing" thing.

That said, I don't see what this has to do with Windows programming. Both
libraries are general, portable C++ libraries. You should have posted in a C++
group such as [comp.lang.c++], and I've cross-posted this reply there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
0
Reply Alf 2/2/2010 12:47:45 AM
comp.os.programmer.win32 14359 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Rake vs SCons vs Boost.Build v2 vs Perforce Jam
Hi all, I'm pretty excited to find Rake, a build tool based on Ruby!!! Does anyone have any comparison info about Rake vs SCons vs Boost.Build-v2 vs Perforce Jam? Thanks! ...

WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE
In the ongoing discussion here about alternatives to the RM, the subject of pointers keeps coming up. AFAIK, one of the features of the RM is that the interconnectedness of data is established by common data values, instead of pointers. In my view, pointers are "good things" not "bad things". But there are plenty of "good things" that will harm you if you don't use them right. One of the ways a network or graph data base achieves performance is by the efficient use of pointers, and the strategic preplacement of pointers where they will be need...

ex vs. em vs. px vs. % vs. in.
Hello All, I am looking for a for a good tutorial on font size definitions in a CSS. A URL to a good tutorial with demo/example will help. I am trying to create a CSS for DocBook XML Document, but I m unable to get a cross browser/platform compatibility. I want the documents to look fairly similar on all platforms/browsers. Here is my CSS -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/new.css And here are 2 plaint text documents using that CSS: http://tinyurl.com/yu3j8 http://tinyurl.com/2zwoh More documents here -> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88 I was told that I should always use...

JSP vs. Struts vs. JSF vs. Swing vs. Tapestry vs. Spring vs. Rails
I am a JSP developer and am constantly feeling like I am missing the boat by not using any of the other frameworks out there. However, the couple I have looked at (JSF and Rails) don't impress me. In JSP, I keep all of my logic in Servlets/Beans and all of my presentation in the JSP file, making custom tags when I need to do some HTML that involves some logic. So Servlets and Tags are the glue to the JSPs and Beans. I don't see what is wrong with this model. The biggest advantage is its flexible. An example of my frustation with JSF (which is different than all the other complaints...

NatSys Lock-free Queue vs LMAX Disruptor vs boost::lockfree::queue
I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX Disrup= tor. The last time is in discussion at Hacker News. In LinkedIn discussions= I also was asked about boost::lockfree::queue (it appeared in Boost recent= ly). So I'm writing the post to share the answers. http://natsys-lab.blogspot.ru/2014/01/natsys-lock-free-queue-in-comparison.= html ...

NatSys Lock-free Queue vs LMAX Disruptor vs boost::lockfree::queue
I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX Disrup= tor. The last time is in discussion at Hacker News. In LinkedIn discussions= I also was asked about boost::lockfree::queue (it appeared in Boost recent= ly). So I'm writing the post to share the answers. http://natsys-lab.blogspot.ru/2014/01/natsys-lock-free-queue-in-comparison.= html > "Alexander Krizhanovsky" wrote in message > news:b0f0ec88-399a-407a-87a2-41c9c5df7007@googlegroups.com... > I've been asked many times how our lock-free queue differs from LMAX > Disr...

Magic vs MiNT vs Gevena vs TOS vs...
Hi all, I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons: a) I'm a bit tired of reading the same subject again and again and decided to give it a little twist, b) Personal need. So, without any further ado, my situation is this: I have a stock STE with 4 Megs of memory, in which I'll be adding a hard drive (and maybe more) in this week. Being a floppy user (Atari-wise) all these years I never thought of having any other OSes than plain old TOS, but now, since I'll be getting some more space, I thought I might as well throw in a desktop/accs/resident progs setup there as well...

wxWidgets vs boost
Is there any plan to use boost classes in wxWidgets library ??? I know that a one of the most important wxWidgets goal is portability and some of the boost classes may not compile on some platforms (?) On 11/18/06, Dominik Tyniw <dominik.tyniw@gazeta.pl> wrote: > > Is there any plan to use boost classes in wxWidgets library ??? I know that > a one of the most important wxWidgets goal is portability and some of the > boost classes may not compile on some platforms (?) Most unlikely. I'm a user of Boost and have been tracking wxWidgets on this mailing list for...

PowerPC vs. TI DSP vs. IA32 vs. MIPS vs. H8 ...
Hi All, I need to select a platform for a control project. I need suggestions from your guys. Here is the some requirements for the project: 1) Programming in c 2) Two channels of AD > 12bit 3) Two or more quadrature decoders (single ended) 4) > 1 channel of PWM output 5) floating point performance ~ 500MHZ P3 6) Small, reliable and takes only 12V power supply 7) ~32MB DRAM (I really don't know how much my program will require, how to estimate this?) 8) ~32MB FLASH prefer also a VGA display for a color flat panel display. Multimedia Card (or compact flash) interface. Thanks in ad...

fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal
what is fastest combo folks? >>>>> "g" == gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> writes: g> what is fastest combo folks? (no doubt referring to this:) Subject: Re: fastcgi vs mod perl vs apache vs lighttpd vs perlbal It depends on your configuration and what you're doing. Performance for all of them is configuration-dependent: an installation of any of them, tuned to suit your application's specific performance needs, them will most likely perform better an untuned installation of any of the others. (Did you finally get tired of trolling comp.lang...

vi vs. vim vs. emacs vs. ????
I've decided to step back from the IDE and start learning/re-learning Java without the aid of Eclipse or Netbeans. I want to learn about packages and such without having an IDE do all the work for me. So my question is, what's the best editor on a *nix platform? I am somewhat familiar with vi and emacs so I'm trying vim out as my Java editor. Are the others that are better or is a vi* editor a good choice. Not flame bait..just looking for some honest opinions. On Jun 16, 10:54 am, JT <jtlinux1@yaho#Akd9i30.ca> wrote: > I've decided to step back from the IDE a...

Comparisons of TeX vs Groff vs SGML vs DocBook vs TeXinfo
Well, I've had fun with Tex and LaTeX for a while now, but I'd like to know how well the alternatives work, and weather or not I should use these alternatives that are listed usually with TeX. What are your opinions on them, and surely, some must do a job better than the rest (Something must do pictures and tables better) and I probably will use the best one for the specific jobs that may come up in the future. Basically, I'm just asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses that each of these typesetters or document language things have. Thanks Percival Percival Tiglao wrote:...

Qedit vs CodeWright vs Whisper vs ?
I've been a fond fan of Qedit(host) for many years now; already knowing this editor leads me to stay with it when looking for a good client/server editor. But I admit I've also had my head in the sand for years, happily grinding away at my Cobol/Image code, getting real work done, going home tired. Meanwhile, the world's grown up without me. Would you fine folks be so kind as to share your experiences with C/S editors? I know I'll still be working on good old HP3000 Cobol, but now I'm getting into the Unix world, and will probably appreciate having something l...

comparision Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI
Hi, Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? Thanks, Derek On 4 Nov 2005 20:53:09 -0800, "derek" <derek_t_9953@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Would it be fair to compare the following technologies to each other: > >Jini vs CORBA vs .NET remoting vs. DCOM vs. web services vs. Java RMI? > You can compare them. They each have their niche so they are not direct competitors.. CORBA's forte is interlanguage communication -- ty...

libsigc++ vs. boost::signals
Hello! I am very interesting what is present comparision between libsigc++ version 2.0 and boost::signals in boost 1.33. >From documentation I could notice that they are quite similar (with respect to the functionality and API). On Internet I have found that boost::signals have problems with cooperation with boost::lambda and boost::functional, but in that information there was not included the number of the boost version. Is that true for boost 1.33? Is in libsigc++ possible to connect, a group of functions to one signal like in boost::signals? In examples for libsigc++ 2.0 there is no...

Websh vs Rivet vs AOLServer vs PHP
Until now, I've always used PHP for web development. I would like to try Tcl out, but there are so many options. I read that Websh works in Apache 1.3 and 2.0, but Rivet (according to http://tcl.apache.org/) only works with Apache 1.3. As far as I can understand, these both implement different APIs. Then there's AOLServer, which implements yet a third API. What are the relative merits of each of these packages? Specifically, are any of them particularly light-weight? As in lighter than PHP? More importantly, are any of these packages likely to be updated much? It seems li...

auto_ptr vs. boost shared_ptr
I've just read the boost documentation on shared_ptr (http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm) and it was not clear to me what advantage using shared_ptr over std::auto_ptr would be. Many thanks for your ideas. Robert [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Robster wrote: > I've just read the boost documentation on shared_ptr > (http://www.boost.org/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm) and it was not > clear to me what advantage using shared_ptr over std::auto_ptr would ...

Asus vs Toshiba vs IBM vs MSI
Hi I'm looking to possibly buy a laptop around August this year. How would Asus, Toshiba, IBM and MSI compare with reliability, warranty and customer service/technical support? I've read about Toshiba and IBM changing ownership of parts of their companies. How has this affected things? I'd also appreciate any recomendations for other brands for Windows laptops. I'm also thinking of dual booting with Linux (probably Ubuntu) I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up a business using php and Java so I'm looking for a good brand. I'm in Melbourn...

ASSOC vs SHMMAP vs POINT_LUNs vs READ_BINARY?
I have a large multidimensional array. I want to sort it, without doubling the memory requirement by making a same-size array and copying data over, sections at a time. I hear about: - ASSOC? But the raw data is not in large consecutive chunks. Does this preclude its use? - SHMMAP? Seems very low-level and risky without experience. - READU and lots of POINT_LUNs? Would this execute slowly? - READ_BINARY with the TEMPLATE keyword? I should like to hard-code the template rather than use the BINARY_TEMPLATE GUI. I suppose this is possible? I am guessing that READ_BINARY with TE...

ScreamerNet vs. TequilaScream vs. Amleto vs. Spider?
I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied ScreamerNet). Specifically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of using TequilaScream, Amleto, Spider, etc. Best Regards, Washington Bob "Washington Bob" <washington_bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5403d5d.0401161757.18a6648b@posting.google.com... > I would like opinions from those who have used third-party Windows > network rendering packages for Lightwave (versus the supplied > ScreamerNet). > > Specifically, I'm loo...

ATI vs Sapphire vs PowerColor vs etc
Hi there, I've been out of the computer market for awhile now. What's with all these other companies carrying ATI products. For example, I can get a Sapphire Radeon 9600 or a PowerColor 9600 and ATI still has their own 9600. I am seeing these supposedly same products at different prices. What is the difference between the companies and which one would you recommend I get? I am not a gamer. I may do some light video editing though. Thanks for the help. Kindly appreciated. "Kevin" <kevin_uoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5a7a1cbd.0410201540.29397c48@posting.goog...

Perl vs Python vs Ruby.... vs Tcl?
Hello. I found this page interesting http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? Thanks. fro...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello. I found this page interesting > > http://mjtsai.com/blog/2002/11/25/perl_vs_python_vs_ruby/ > > Would someone care to show me how this would be done in Tcl please? > Thanks. Probably by using the tcllib csv module and adding some lsearch/lsort - index trickery for Tcl 8.5 or simple iteration with foreach. Michael On 11 sep, 16:31, schl...@uni-oldenburg.de wrote: >...

C++ vs Java vs OCaml vs SML
I have written a web page comparing the verbosity and speed of four different (progressively optimised) mini ray tracers written in C++, Java, OCaml and SML: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html Essentially, the results indicate that Java is extremely slow (5x slower than the fastest implementation) and extremely verbose, OCaml is extremely concise (only 60 lines of code for the minimal implementation of the ray tracer) and Mlton-compiled SML is extremely fast (much faster than the other three languages). -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffco...