Need help upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE

I have heard that it is possible to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows
98 Second Edition (SE) using the original OEM Windows 98 SE disk. I've
heard that it involves deleting certain system files, among other
things. I was wondering if anyone out there can help me and give me a
step-by-step process to go through to upgrade my Windows 98 to Windows
98 SE. I have a Windows 98 SE CD. I don't want to format my hard drive
and do a "clean" install of Windows 98 SE if I can help it as I have
no way (at the moment) to back up my computer. It does not have a
CD-RW, just a CD-ROM drive. Please help.

Thanks all :)
0
ShelbyGT500
12/3/2003 9:36:09 PM
comp.os.ms-windows 557 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Would it maybe be possible to just download it from Windows Update?

K Z <ShelbyGT500@direcway.com> wrote:
> I have heard that it is possible to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows
> 98 Second Edition (SE) using the original OEM Windows 98 SE disk. I've
> heard that it involves deleting certain system files, among other
> things. I was wondering if anyone out there can help me and give me a
> step-by-step process to go through to upgrade my Windows 98 to Windows
> 98 SE. I have a Windows 98 SE CD. I don't want to format my hard drive
> and do a "clean" install of Windows 98 SE if I can help it as I have
> no way (at the moment) to back up my computer. It does not have a
> CD-RW, just a CD-ROM drive. Please help.
>
> Thanks all :)

0
Bolwerk

How do I upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 professional?
i dont want to completely re-install windows just upgrade 98 to 2000. How do i do this. I would just put xp on but its an old laptop so it wont cope with it. Let me know!!! Cheers!! ...

windows xp and windows 98
i recently added a client to our small office LAN that is running XP. the other 3 clients run windows '98. in the setup for xp there was an option for creating a 'setup' disk, i believe, for any other machine on the network. because the other machines were already networked i skipped this option and just added the xp machine to the group. now when i try to browse the groups on the network, windows can't find anything. i can type the address of the machines, i.e. '\\theClient' into the address window and find it. is there a simple fix for this? is the xp machine cre...

windows xp and windows 98
i recently added a client to our small office LAN that is running XP. the other 3 clients run windows '98. in the setup for xp there was an option for creating a 'setup' disk, i believe, for any other machine on the network. because the other machines were already networked i skipped this option and just added the xp machine to the group. now when i try to browse the groups on the network, windows can't find anything. i can type the address of the machines, i.e. '\\theClient' into the address window and find it. is there a simple fix for this? is the xp machine cre...

emulation windows 98 on windows xp
hello, i am a big fan of adventure or rpg games of all times. for the old dos games, i use dosbox and other emulators (scumm, vdm or shinobi). for the games under windows, i used a dual boot win98/win xp but i don't like that. I try Bochs,the Pc-emulator, but it's too difficult to configure it without help. so i want to know if anybody can explain it to me or knows where finding a tutorial (of course, i have alredy seeks and find nothing i understand)? Or, perhaps, somebody knows an other open-source emulator for win 98 on win xp? I use the compatibility mode, too, but...

Windows 98 Through Windows Vista Programming.
I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs with having to install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I think I could handle it. Need unbiased opinions. Jon Turlington On 5 Feb 2007 19:12:14 -0800, "Jon Turlington" <jdt@ndemand.com> wrote: >I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs with having to install >any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. > >Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know J...

Windows 98 hangs AFTER login, nothing shows in task/program window...HELP!
Hi, my dad uses an older pc running windows 98. I don't know what preceded this (he has severe memory problems), but this is what happens now: Windows 98 starts to load, asks for the windows login, I see the task bar but just for a second, I see the wallpaper and the mouse continues to move, but NOTHING else. no error message and if you do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE the program/task window is empty. I don't have any startup disk backup or anything. We can't afford to have it fixed professionally, and I know just enough to be dangerous... Could someone suggest what I could try next? Safe ...

Windows ME Switches or VPN and Windows 98
I have a windows 98 se laptop that I'm trying to use to access files and folders on a windows 2000 AD server via VPN. I VPN into the router and then I map drives to the shares on the network. I have DNS and WINS on this AD server now because I've been desparate to get this working. I can map the drives, drill down into the folders in the shares - no problem. However, when I get to a file/document/spreadsheet, whatever, that I want to actualy open, I am unable to open it. After a long delay, I get an invalid path error. I've got windows 98 machines that are physically at the ...

End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me Published: January 6, 2006 | Updated: February 16, 2006 July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date. Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue t...

Windows 98 Through Windows Vista Programming.
I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I think I could handle it. Need unbiased opinions. Jon Turlington "Jon Turlington" <jdt@ndemand.com> wrote in news:1170731660.632715.219820 @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. > > Can someone recomme...

Re: Windows 98 hangs AFTER login, nothing shows in task/program window...HELP!
First check / scan for worm or virus. And try booting to dos mode and type scanreg /restore. And pick the previous registry and OK. Joseph -----Original Message----- From: KathyB [mailto:KathyBurke40@attbi.com]=20 Posted At: Friday, January 23, 2004 5:01 AM Posted To: misc Conversation: Windows 98 hangs AFTER login, nothing shows in task/program window...HELP! Subject: Windows 98 hangs AFTER login, nothing shows in task/program window...HELP! Hi, my dad uses an older pc running windows 98. I don't know what preceded this (he has severe memory problems), but this is what happens now: Wi...

need help with windows 98/me install
Ok i have tried about 4 times to install windows ME on a system that i will be using to run a Vent server, the system specs are, Hard Drive-8 gigs, processor- pentium-1 266mhz, 164mbs or ram, NIC Card. i am using an iso image for the cd, and a regular floppy for the floppy boot. basically i can get up to the point where ive reformatted c: drive and repartitioned. now when i press e: it accesses it but when i try and run setup.exe or \setup.exe, it says bad command line or file name. i am assuming that this means its a problem with the cd drive. plz help... On comp.os.linux.misc, in <115...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

Windows 98 Through Windows Vista Programming. #2
I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a bit foreign to me but I think I could handle it. Need unbiased opinions. Jon Turlington Jon Turlington wrote: > I need to develop a CD slpash screen that runs without having to > install any frameworks, runtime environments, etc. > > Can someone recommend a language to do this, I know VB, know Java(a > little and can learn it quickly), C/C++ is a b...

Web resources about - Need help upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE - comp.os.ms-windows

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube